The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this look- the peter pan collar particularly. And I love her hair as usual! :)

About me I liked her Outfit very much ,, so simple & elegant & suits Kate very much ,, I love her hair !

I do like the Topshop dress she wore today - seems appropiate for the nature of the charity they were visiting. However although i like the coat in contrast to the dress - i dont like the fact it is shorter than the dress and it is quite short especially as its a swing style

I am blown away. That is pure 1960's It Girl look, and she rocks it. What a fabulous, sophisticated look for spring. I want to go out and buy the same type of coat now. What was the occasion of this appearance? I don't follow her that much.

I am blown away. That is pure 1960's It Girl look, and she rocks it. What a fabulous, sophisticated look for spring. I want to go out and buy the same type of coat now. What was the occasion of this appearance? I don't follow her that much.

A visit to a centre for bereaved families

She looked good, I'm just not a fan of suede of heels though. I think she should stick to patent or the non shiny leather

I just don't know how anyone can 'hate' that hair. It's a lovely colour and also clean and shiny, with a healthy bounce to it. What's not to like? It would be a travesty for her to wear it up all the time.

Today's outfit is more youthful than Sunday's. It's certainly an outfit that I and my friends would wear. She looks fab, although I expect the usual moaning about Kate not wearing her hem at the same length as the 86 year old Queen. Both the dress and the coat have now sold out.

For me, the hair is dull, boring, lifeless and same old. I like variety.
Her coat is lovely, dress not my style but I like the fact it's from topshop.
As for the usual "moaning", of course anything other than agreement is moaning these days, Catherine's dress and coat are too short IMO for a 30 year old Princess. This coming from a 19 year old university student. However, I can understand that these clothes aren't maternity and not designed to fit over a 5 month baby bump, so the bump may raise the clothes.

Why should a 30 yr old with great legs have to cover them up?

For me, the hair is dull, boring, lifeless and same old. I like variety.
Her coat is lovely, dress not my style but I like the fact it's from topshop.
As for the usual "moaning", of course anything other than agreement is moaning these days, Catherine's dress and coat are too short IMO for a 30 year old Princess. This coming from a 19 year old university student. However, I can understand that these clothes aren't maternity and not designed to fit over a 5 month baby bump, so the bump may raise the clothes.

She wore an updo to her last engagement and she wore her hair straight instead of wavy this time. That's a fair bit of variety.

Why should a 30 yr old with great legs have to cover them up?

I think that's where the term Princess comes into this.

She wore an updo to her last engagement and she wore her hair straight instead of wavy this time. That's a fair bit of variety.

Down is down for me, especially when it's windy because straight or curly you can't tell. But yes you're right, she was on up do on Sunday and it looked lovely.

The dress underneath is pretty awesome. I like the coat aswell. Combined with the loose hair, it's a definite upgrade from her last outfit(s).

OK why should a 30 yr old princess cover her legs?

I see nothing wrong with the length of her skirt and coat. I'm in my mid-40's my legs are not quite as fabulous, and I wear skirts above the knees to court, in fact I believe it gives a smarter appearance than some long shapeless piece. There's nothing trashy about today's appearance on a 31 year old. Of course I'm not a pregnant princess. :cool:

If Kate has taught me anything regarding today's appearance is that coat dresses are smart and I might go get one for my work wardrobe.

The dress isn't all that short, after all. It's not like it's a mini that's up to there. And she's pregnant, not 75.

I love that coat so much. Not as wild about the dress, but if I had any money I'd buy that coat right now.

As for the hair, I don't mind it being down at all. At least she doesn't have it severely pulled back in a ponytail or a bun all the time like Victoria of Sweden. (Part of me really wants to know what Victoria would look like with bangs...)

The swing coat was a nice, clean look along simple lines that was very pretty. And you can never go wrong with black and white; a very classic combo. I didn't like the scruffy suede heels, though, and the dress didn't do much for me.

Last edited:
This outfit is so very cute. She looks really lovely. I also like her hair, but I'm one of those that doesn't have a problem with her wearing it down.

As for the length of the dress, I think it's fine. I've seen many other princesses wearing their skirts and dresses this length too.

No need to cover those beautiful legs up. It seems like all the European princesses are showing off their beautiful legs. Catherine have a great pair of gams, IMO.

I think people always think Kate's hemlines are short because she's so tall and her legs are so long. When you actually focus just on the hemline, it's always appropriate, but she has a model type body, and so her legs attract the eye.

If you look at the photos from today, she would certainly pass the "finger tip length" test the nuns at my Catholic high school used to use to make sure our skirts were appropriate.

I think the coat would of been much nicer if she'd had black piping on the edges of the collar etc. I don't think that color looks good next to her skin.

LaRae

The Duchess looks lovely, the coat is very nice. However I don't like it with the dress.

She looked great today - so happy and youthful and healthy.

I love it that she wore the hair down, had that kicky swing coat, that it was so short (you go mommy to be) AND that the peter pan collar stuck out at the top. So fun and young.

You know we tend to gripe when she dresses "older than her age." The flip of that is that we should support it when she pushes the YOUNG button. :p

I love the coat - I'd like to see it with a navy dress (the Mouret for example that she wore when leaving for Canada) or trousers (not skinnies) and a top. IT is a coat that can be used again and again. Good buy.

Glad she took our advice and bought a nice, looks to be lightweight wool crepe pale pink maternity coat. That'll do for the next couple of months.
Really dislike the thick black tights and suede pumps and black accessories with such a pretty spring coat.
The plain black nothing dress could easily be improved upon, Cepe's ideas above are terrific.

My two cents about the length, she is one who can wear short skirts, who has attractive knees.
Most women don't and shouldn't.

Last edited:
Because it's appropriate.

How so? The Queen often shows leg. Yes, her skirts may be a bit longer than Catherine's (always past the knee, although up to her knees are shown when she sits), but the Queen's legs are also shorter and the Queen is herself older and from a different generation.

Catherine has long legs, giving the illusion that she's revealing a larger portion of leg than she actually is. Her dresses (when they're short) hover around her knees, usually either just above or just below - both within what is in style while also maintaining a level of decency that is due to her position.

I loved the coat! It basically can be worn with anything. The dress is way too boring and plain IMO. The peter pan collar looks silly to me. The overall outfit is also way too short, I'm not fond of such short outfits on anyone.

How so? The Queen often shows leg. Yes, her skirts may be a bit longer than Catherine's (always past the knee, although up to her knees are shown when she sits), but the Queen's legs are also shorter and the Queen is herself older and from a different generation.

Catherine has long legs, giving the illusion that she's revealing a larger portion of leg than she actually is. Her dresses (when they're short) hover around her knees, usually either just above or just below - both within what is in style while also maintaining a level of decency that is due to her position.

In the pics I saw her skirt was well above the knee when standing.

LaRae

(always past the knee, although up to her knees are shown when she sits),

You answered your own question there. I explained that I understood these clothes are not maternity and would probably be knee length without a bump.

Surprise engagement today -
@SkyNewsRoyal: #royal #Kate wearing Malene Birger coat http://t.co/tbWdYklwa5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom