The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? I don't see any reason she couldn't reuse maternity gowns from previous pregnancies. Is there a rule she can only reuse ones that are less then 2 years old????

As she gets further along, she will be third trimester in Scandinavia or close to, she will need more room. No need to spend money on a gown she can only wear during pregnancy, especially if this is her last. She has gorgeous gowns and evening looks.

either of these would look fantastic later on, have the flowing ability for evening look on tour.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/28/72/382872945dd7278c9041f677485b60e2.jpg

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kate...AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=618#imgrc=ytZJFc4TcW89vM:

other looks she can wear during pregnancy

http://www.mylusciouslife.com/wp-co...d full skirted summer dress cocktail gown.jpg

http://www.maternitysale.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/kate-middleton.jpg

Kate also has a number of non maternity flowy dresses and evening looks which likely could be easily worn, maybe with alteration.

Of the 4 links you have provided, the first is the blue gown I referred to in my previous post. The third and fourth are not long gowns which only leaves the lilac gown, which I don't think is particularly suited to wearing in the second half of a pregnancy �� Let me know if you think of any other long gowns that you can think of from previous pregnancies that you think can be reused.

Last edited:
:previous: Third pregnancy, she certainly has other evening gowns she can recycle. I doubt we will see this one recycled so soon for the tour or other big events.

I don't think Kate attended but a few evening gown events when pregnant the last two times, so not too many maternity evening gowns in her wardrobe.

Why not? I don't see any reason she couldn't reuse maternity gowns from previous pregnancies. Is there a rule she can only reuse ones that are less then 2 years old????

As she gets further along, she will be third trimester in Scandinavia or close to, she will need more room. No need to spend money on a gown she can only wear during pregnancy, especially if this is her last. She has gorgeous gowns and evening looks.

either of these would look fantastic later on, have the flowing ability for evening look on tour.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/28/72/382872945dd7278c9041f677485b60e2.jpg

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kate...AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=618#imgrc=ytZJFc4TcW89vM:

other looks she can wear during pregnancy

http://www.mylusciouslife.com/wp-co...d full skirted summer dress cocktail gown.jpg

http://www.maternitysale.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/kate-middleton.jpg

Kate also has a number of non maternity flowy dresses and evening looks which likely could be easily worn, maybe with alteration.

When you’re pregnant, your body changes particularly the busy area and waistline. Kat already has a baby bump. She couldn’t zip up the red jacket she wore to the previous Coach Core engagement. She has to be about 4-5 months pregnant so not much she could wear that she has. I don’t think it would be easy to get into most of the other gowns without the fit being off. The ink blue gown I could see but I don’t see anything wrong with the gown she wore. I think it’s very beautiful. Nothing wrong with a new evening gown. This one especially looks like it can be altered.

She could carry off an empire quite elegantly even when not pregnant.

LaRae

I think an empire waist gown could be very pretty while pregnant. Not sure about post-pregnancy. Has she worn empire waist gowns or outfits before when not pregnant?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you’re pregnant, your body changes particularly the busy area and waistline. Kat already has a baby bump. She couldn’t zip up the red jacket she wore to the previous Coach Core engagement. She has to be about 4-5 months pregnant so not much she could wear that she has. I don’t think it would be easy to get into most of the other gowns without the fit being off. The ink blue gown I could see but I don’t see anything wrong with the gown she wore. I think it’s very beautiful. Nothing wrong with a new evening gown. This one especially looks like it can be altered.

Did I say there was anything wrong with the gown she wore :ermm:

I was responding to a poster who suggested that it was adjustable and could be worn later in her pregnancy. Even the suggestion she could wear it in Scandinavia. I found that highly unlikely, and suggested she had other gowns from previous pregnancies she could likely reuse.

She was in skinny jeans and a fitted coat less then a week ago. She certainly doesn't have a 'baby bump' just yet. And she attended a number of evening events in previous pregnancies.

I don't think Kate attended but a few evening gown events when pregnant the last two times, so not too many maternity evening gowns in her wardrobe.

And she isn't likely to attend a long list of evening events before this baby is born either. So no issue.

Again simply addressing the poster who suggested that she chose this dress tonight as it would be adjustable for her to wear in Scandinavia. She does in fact have at least 2 other evening looks which would be suitable. I highly doubt on an official royal tour, she will reuse this blue dress so soon after.

To be honest I think she will likely have another new maternity gown for Scandinavia if there is an evening event she has to wear a gown for. She usually does buy gowns for tours, and like her India ones, not ones we see her wear again.

Of the 4 links you have provided, the first is the blue gown I referred to in my previous post. The third and fourth are not long gowns which only leaves the lilac gown, which I don't think is particularly suited to wearing in the second half of a pregnancy �� Let me know if you think of any other long gowns that you can think of from previous pregnancies that you think can be reused.

Last I looked evening looks don't have to be floor length. Both of the short dresses were worn to evening engagements. They were not day looks. Which is why I included them.

The second one is an empire waste with a very flowy skirt. What about it doesn't work for a second trimester? Far more flattering then tonight's look would be if she had a six or seven month bump. The dress is busy enough without a large rounding belly.

How many evening looks, long gowns, do you think she is actually going to need before April????

Last edited:

I was responding to a poster who suggested that it was adjustable and could be worn later in her pregnancy. Even the suggestion she could wear it in Scandinavia. I found that highly unlikely, and suggested she had other gowns from previous pregnancies she could likely reuse.

She was in skinny jeans and a fitted coat less then a week ago. She certainly doesn't have a 'baby bump' just yet. And she attended a number of evening events in previous pregnancies.

She doesn't have other (full length) evening gowns from prior pregnacies though- the black gown and the teal one. That may be it. She was wearing skinny jeans but they may have been maternity ones and she couldn't zip her coat over her abdomen. Her figure has changed and she is obviously pregnant in profile photos.

I was thinking she seems to be showing more sooner than her previous pregnancies ..but that is fairly common too.

LaRae

Yeps. The old "rubber band" principle at work. The more you stretch 'em out, the easier it is to stretch them out again. :D

With all the talk about the different gowns and such, its made me wonder if somewhere down the line, Kate may auction some of her gowns off for charity much like Diana did with a bunch of hers. If I remember right, that auction was William's idea in the first place.

I was thinking she seems to be showing more sooner than her previous pregnancies ..but that is fairly common too.

LaRae
We don't know when in April she is due either. She may be closer to 5 months along.

Right if it's early April that could be a factor.

LaRae

LaRae

I agree and that is why I believe that some of her maternity evening gowns are not going to work for the remainder of her second trimester and her third. Those of us who have been in Kate's position, are likely to agree that she has discovered that her body will change with each pregnancy and all the wardrobe pre-planning in the world might not work.;) The pair of pants that fit yesterday might not fit the following morning.

And she isn't likely to attend a long list of evening events before this baby is born either. So no issue.

Again simply addressing the poster who suggested that she chose this dress tonight as it would be adjustable for her to wear in Scandinavia. She does in fact have at least 2 other evening looks which would be suitable. I highly doubt on an official royal tour, she will reuse this blue dress so soon after.

To be honest I think she will likely have another new maternity gown for Scandinavia if there is an evening event she has to wear a gown for. She usually does buy gowns for tours, and like her India ones, not ones we see her wear again.

Last I looked evening looks don't have to be floor length. Both of the short dresses were worn to evening engagements. They were not day looks. Which is why I included them.

The second one is an empire waste with a very flowy skirt. What about it doesn't work for a second trimester? Far more flattering then tonight's look would be if she had a six or seven month bump. The dress is busy enough without a large rounding belly.

How many evening looks, long gowns, do you think she is actually going to need before April????

Actually, you did state that your opinion on her dress which wasn’t positive which is fine. I was stating mine. Regardless, She has a small ‘baby bump’that is visible in pictures, and even without a bump, your body changes pretty quickly when your pregnant and at around 5 months she couldn’t fit the other dresses.

Great pictures, and every detailed picture of the dress convinces me more how outstanding this dress really is. :flowers: In particular, the hem (which I know has some nay-sayers) is actually (to me) a highlight of the design. Her shoes (and I am not a shoe person) are shown off to good effect, like part of the design. Really a fabulous, glittery gown. Well done, Catherine! (But she does gowns well anyway).

Last edited:
I quite like the dress. I don't care if others don't agree. It was blingy without having to wear the jewels (except those fab earrings) and suited her.

I still remember that gold overlay (I think cream dress under) she wore a couple years ago. I would love to see her wear that again!

(..)

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
As the Scandinavian tour was originally planned to be in November - I wonder if this dress had been made for that trip? Catherine really hasnt had any formal 3rd trimester maternity looks late in her pregnancies. Looking forward to what she wears coming up.

Please stay on topic of this thread, the Duchess of Cambridge's fashion choices! Some off-topic posts have been removed.

We have often seen how deliberate Kate can be in choice of a color, a cut, a style, button, jewelry, etc. when she is attending an event.

I was at the Fug Girls today, looking at photos from the Royal Variety Performance. It was 2 Fug Girls posts away from a piece about Phil and Liz' 70th anniversary, which had a photo of those two kids in full wedding kit.

And it struck me that those smaller flower shaped sequins on Kate's dress were also perfectly star shaped. Just like all the stars on The Queen's wedding dress. It could be coincidence or it could be Kate obsessing with the details in the same week as the anniversary. Just saying. If so, well played!

Actually, you did state that your opinion on her dress which wasn’t positive which is fine. I was stating mine. Regardless, She has a small ‘baby bump’that is visible in pictures, and even without a bump, your body changes pretty quickly when your pregnant and at around 5 months she couldn’t fit the other dresses.

Lovely color and beautiful beeding. So happy for no lace.

Only thing I don't like is sheer layer is longer then the under skirt, distracting.

I am sorry what is not positive about this :ohmy:

You're right, I made one comment about hem. That erases every other compliment. Bad on me. Nothing but pure adoration is positive. Oops :whistling:

This dress won't fit with a bigger bump. Its not flowing at all so I really don't get your point. The gowns I mentioned were worn later in her pregnancy, and have much more room to accommodate a growing bump without alteration.

I am sorry what is not positive about this :ohmy:

You're right, I made one comment about hem. That erases every other compliment. Bad on me. Nothing but pure adoration is positive. Oops :whistling:

This dress won't fit with a bigger bump. Its not flowing at all so I really don't get your point. The gowns I mentioned were worn later in her pregnancy, and have much more room to accommodate a growing bump without alteration.
You’re right I mixed up your comment with someone else. Regardless, I don’t adore all of her outfits so I don’t know where your second comment is coming from.

In my opinion, this dress seems relatively flowing so I think she could possibly use it next month for the diplomatic reception and maybe for the Scandinavia tour. It’ll just depend on her shape by then. As to the other dresses, there were two that she could wear for an evening like this and that have been worn during previous pregnancies. She may use them at a later date. The shorter, light blue one(I can’t remember the designer) is possible for a different kind of event. It’s more of a cocktail dress to me or rather less dressy.

Last edited:
I think Kate will wear this new dress for the Diplomatic Reception. It’s in a couple of weeks, so should still fit and she’s always worm repeats for this event. She also tends to do conservative looks for it, so this fits.

She hasn’t worn any evening gowns in her third trimester, so depending on when they go to Scandinavia AND if there is a black tie event I think we’ll see something new. She does have a number of great cocktail dresses and maternity coats I’m hoping she’ll repeat.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think she would wear this dress (Royal Variety Show) just 2 weeks or so later at another public event. Now she could use that over-lay ontop of a different under-dress (cream?).

I'm expecting something new or recycled from previous pregnancies.

LaRae

I would have liked this dress more in a jewel tone or Gold. I find pastels wash Kate out a great deal. I also found the neckline to be very patronly. However, the dress moves beautifully.

I wouldn't think she would wear this dress (Royal Variety Show) just 2 weeks or so later at another public event. Now she could use that over-lay ontop of a different under-dress (cream?).

I'm expecting something new or recycled from previous pregnancies.
LaRae

I don’t think she cares about that so much, we only get car photos anyway. And she actually wore the same dress two years in a row for the Diplomatic Reception, which I found quite weird. I don’t expect a new dress for this and she really doesn’t have that much appropriate repeats that would fit her now. She wore the black lace dress twice already this month. I guess the dark blue dress from New York might work.

Depending on the structure and fabric there might be some gowns from the past she is able to alter for early pregnancy.

LaRae

Probably, and since most of her gowns are bespoke I’m sure the designers would gladly alter them if possible.

I’ve been in a repeat phase lately, so am actually more interested in what she repeats this time around than another new dress.

I would be surprised if she wore the 'Royal Variety' gown because as this is a tiara event, I think the combination of several Royal jewels and the sparkly dress would be too much bling for the Duchess. Plus quite uncomfortable too!

I think Kate will wear this new dress for the Diplomatic Reception. It’s in a couple of weeks, so should still fit and she’s always worm repeats for this event. She also tends to do conservative looks for it, so this fits.

She hasn’t worn any evening gowns in her third trimester, so depending on when they go to Scandinavia AND if there is a black tie event I think we’ll see something new. She does have a number of great cocktail dresses and maternity coats I’m hoping she’ll repeat.
It would be great to see her wear the navy blue gown from 2014 again for the Diplomatic reception. She could wear it sith the Nizam necklace abd the Lovers Knot tiara.

Alternatively, she could wear the dress from the Variety Show again with the Lovers Knot tiara and no necklace.

I would be surprised if she wore the 'Royal Variety' gown because as this is a tiara event, I think the combination of several Royal jewels and the sparkly dress would be too much bling for the Duchess. Plus quite uncomfortable too!

I think it would look nice with the lotus tiara and smaller diamond earrings and her hair in an updo. Guess we’ll know soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom