The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
It's sometimes hard to work out if the girls are dressing too old for their age or if Carole is dressing too young. It varies either way with each ensemble I think.

Personally I think very few items of clothing are too young or too old. Where has this whole age-appropriate restriction come from? If the clothes look fine on the wearer, why should her age matter?

The question is whether they are appropriate for the event, and I think both dresses are fine.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Royal Highness

When I see Kate and her mother together, I think one thing: how lucky she is to still have her mother (some of us lose our parents early), and how wonderful it is that they are so close.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Personally I think very few items of clothing are too young or too old. Where has this whole age-appropriate restriction come from? If the clothes look fine on the wearer, why should her age matter?

The question is whether they are appropriate for the event, and I think both dresses are fine.
I agree with you, especially when the outfits in question are in the range of fashionable yet conservative clothing and the wearers are adult women. Kate is a 32 year old woman, not a teenager, so she should be wearing grown-up clothes. And Carole is only 59 and has a slender body like her daughter. They have similar tastes and there's no reason they shouldn't wear similar clothing. Both dresses were appropriate for the event, though I confess I wasn't too keen on Carole's shoes. I'd have preferred black, but that's a matter of personal choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
When I see Kate and her mother together, I think one thing: how lucky she is to still have her mother (some of us lose our parents early), and how wonderful it is that they are so close.
Good point. I lost my father when I was so young I barely remember him, and now my mother's gone, too. Kate is lucky to have them both and to be so close to them.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

At least both of them looked fine and feel comfortable, and as long as their fashion style ( especially Kate's) is not ridiculous, it doesn't matter so much.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Hardly a surprise that a mother/daughter with similar body builds would end up wearing clothes that are similar in style and taste. My younger daughter and I have quite a few similarities in what we like in clothing. LaRae
I quite agree. Mom and I had similar, but not the same body type. She had great taste. She tempered my choices and I pushed her envelope of comfort a bit. I'm just sad I don't have her to shop with anymore.

It's not as if black lace is a great fashion risk that we should be shocked they picked it. Tempest in a teapot, IMHO.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In the world of dressing for an evening out, who hasn't heard the term of "the little black dress". Its a go to standard in most closets. I even have a little black dress that could be dusted off should the necessity arise.

My mother and I were basically the same size and alike in taste, we both tended to lean toward classic styles rather than trendy. I really don't find it a big deal or surprising that both Kate and Carole wore black lace. Its popular right now, it looks good on the both of them and they complimented each other.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

Some styles are ageless and both of the black lace dresses are definitely ageless. Sooner or later, lace will not be on trend, but neither lady will ever be embarrassed in twenty years. I agree with those who don't particularly care for Carole's shoes but she looks terrific overall.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
It was probably just a coincidence. Maybe Carole had no idea of what Kate would be wearing that night (and vice-versa). Black lace in very IN right now, it's the most obvious things to wear in these occasions. There were other women wearing it too.
Agree 100%. One wears black. Lace is 'in'. Not hard to guess how it might turn out. But if Kate and Carole did consult, I think that is warm and healthy and says they are solid with each other. Either way, a non-issue imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scook9187 View Post
Loved Kate's earrings, hated Carole's shoes. Mike was hot as ever.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I have to agree. From the elegant and very flattering hairstyle, to the gorgeous DVF black lace gown Catherine hit all the right notes.

As Lady Malboro commented earlier, the black lace on black lining is what gave the gown it's elegance, Unlike the black on nude she previously wore that seemed to scream negligee as the lace floated free of the underskirt.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...t_Photo_by.JPG

versus

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...13_634x896.jpg

There is no comparison, both in gown and presentation. The DVF is everything the other is not. Fitted and chic, her hair is elegant and her makeup a little less conspicuous.

The only thing that IMO would improve the ensemble is if she had worn the same earrings as she did to Warhorse. They are very sophisticated and, while those she wore are pretty, they are not as elegant and, let's face it, I'd have loved to have seen them in all their glory, not flashes tangled in her hair.
I love both gowns here.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I love both gowns here.
I agree, both gowns are lovely, and very different.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
...In regards to William's socks, I think they're either very dark navy or grey, or at least that's what they look like in the lighting of my room and PC screen.
I think William is wearing the hosiery that goes with the type of shoe he is wearing (used to be called Opera pumps). The socks are actually semi-transparent which is why they might look something other than the black that they are.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Tonight's Place2Be event;
@QueenVicMirror: Kate has arrived in Hobbs top and jenny packham skirt http://t.co/yK4ylwCO9W
Old 11-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

What is with all of the black?! I could swear there's mourning going on..
Old 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Majesty

I don't like the outift at all... I wish she would have worn another color too... She doesn't look good tonight IMO... Do we know if some pieces are a reapet? She has worn several new outifts so far
Old 11-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

The skirt is blue. None are repeats.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I really like both the top and skirt, but I'm not sure I like them together. Her hair looks lovely.

As for the color, I don't mind that she's been wearing black/darker colors lately.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Love the hair for once, the top is lovely and fitted. I like the skirt but wished it wasn't navy blue.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Has anyone been able to get a good look at the belt? I'm presuming the top is black and the skirt is navy- I'm beginning to like the black/navy trend. I think CP Victoria has worn it lately, too.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Royal Highness

I like the outfit as an idea, totally. I'm into that but I would have styled it either total black or total navy
Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

DM has pics of the belt for you Pregnant Kate, Duchess of Cambridge welcomes guests to Kensington Palace | Daily Mail Online

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion