The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
It's an early Halloween - she looks like the cat burglar.
Can't we just leave cats out of this??!!! No, wait, the design were made by cats scratching!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Serene Highness

Hideous. Well, it is Halloween appropriate, I guess. *cringe*

Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

It really is not good I agree infeact I think it is horrible and I have looked at the photos for a good while and no I just cannot find on single thing about this outfit that is redemable.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm certainly not a fashonista but I think Kate looked stunning. Always smiling and engaged with people she meets. Beautiful on the inside and out
Old 10-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I am not sure how one could check for camera flashes unless one is prepared to accept that the whole idea in practice would be preposterous!
A test such as this would not have the same results in any other lighting conditions other than those to which the clothing would be subject on the night it was to be worn by Catherine. A single flash on someone's phone camera inside a gloomy cupboard at Kensington palace would render the results inconclusive and be a far cry from dozens of media photographers all flashing their nikons at the same time repeatedly.
A few weeks before the event, a group of at least 12 palace staff would have to go out in the dead of night, one wearing the garment, the others (who would all have to be proficient in photography) all holding high quality cameras, media-strength flashes and zoom lenses to test whether or not items secreted underneath the garment can be seen.
With all due respect, but it would be fair to assume that professional stylists can predict how a certain dress or ensemble will look on photos. If we are to believe some Internet gossips, Hollywood actresses and their stylists check their red carpet ensembles (dresses and makeup) by taking several photos with a really brightest/strongest flash. Apparently it can be done.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Even with the camera flash what we are seeing is a full slip not a bra. The only skin visable are Kate's arms. The style of the dress may not be to everyone's taste but I think Kate always looks stunning
Old 10-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
With all due respect, but it would be fair to assume that professional stylists can predict how a certain dress or ensemble will look on photos.
Well yes dear, having carried out the experiment I suggested above!

In all seriousness though, it depends on whether professional stylists even know that a possible problem exists and to what length they will go to check how a dress or ensemble will look in photos.
Someone above kindly posted pictures of Cathernine's dress on a mannequin and a model and they show no obvious problem.
At the end of the day, the proof will be whether Catherine wears the dress again - if she doesn't we could assume it might be because of the flash photography. If she does wear it again, then the problem would appear to be in the eye of the beholder.
Perhaps when purchasing an outfit with an unusual material, someone at the palace should go on the internet and look for similar dresses worn by people standing in front of flashing photographers to see how the dress looks.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
With all due respect, but it would be fair to assume that professional stylists can predict how a certain dress or ensemble will look on photos. If we are to believe some Internet gossips, Hollywood actresses and their stylists check their red carpet ensembles (dresses and makeup) by taking several photos with a really brightest/strongest flash. Apparently it can be done.
It obviously can't be done with 100% accuracy, seeing as many celebs and royals have it happen frequently.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

If someone already linked to this - apologies.
Tom and Lorenzo with just the facts, ma'am.
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge in Temperley London at Action on Addiction Autumn Gala | Tom & Lorenzo Fabulous & Opinionated
Old 10-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am not sure how one could check for camera flashes unless one is prepared to accept that the whole idea in practice would be preposterous!
A test such as this would not have the same results in any other lighting conditions other than those to which the clothing would be subject on the night it was to be worn by Catherine. A single flash on someone's phone camera inside a gloomy cupboard at Kensington palace would render the results inconclusive and be a far cry from dozens of media photographers all flashing their nikons at the same time repeatedly.
A few weeks before the event, a group of at least 12 palace staff would have to go out in the dead of night, one wearing the garment, the others (who would all have to be proficient in photography) all holding high quality cameras, media-strength flashes and zoom lenses to test whether or not items secreted underneath the garment can be seen.
Agree 100%.

Quote:
You ascribe too much omniscience to 'professional stylists". This reminds me of debates in science when one party believes that science will/must have the answer to all things. Stylists are concerned with far more global issues when it comes to a dress, than the split seconds of flashbulbs going off, though the flashbulbs for sure factor in if it is known they will be present for significant moments or for a significant length of time.

Quote:
Well yes dear, having carried out the experiment I suggested above!

In all seriousness though, it depends on whether professional stylists even know that a possible problem exists and to what length they will go to check how a dress or ensemble will look in photos.
Someone above kindly posted pictures of Cathernine's dress on a mannequin and a model and they show no obvious problem.
At the end of the day, the proof will be whether Catherine wears the dress again - if she doesn't we could assume it might be because of the flash photography. If she does wear it again, then the problem would appear to be in the eye of the beholder.
Perhaps when purchasing an outfit with an unusual material, someone at the palace should go on the internet and look for similar dresses worn by people standing in front of flashing photographers to see how the dress looks.
In the end, there really is no problem with the dress. It is beautiful as is. One may not care for the dress but that's a style issue, nothing more.

This dress has pizzazz. It is really well-designed (what I meant when I said 'well-made'). It reminds me of a Picasso. It's got that edge but is still within bounds.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

She's a beautiful girl and herself always looks very nice....however even without the 'flash issue' the dress is just awful. The design is horrid. The pattern of the dress does nothing for her. I don't see what's so edgy about it either...it's a black dress with 'cut outs'...it has been done by various celebs starting years ago.

LaRae
Old 10-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She's a beautiful girl and herself always looks very nice....however even without the 'flash issue' the dress is just awful. The design is horrid. The pattern of the dress does nothing for her. I don't see what's so edgy about it either...it's a black dress with 'cut outs'...it has been done by various celebs starting years ago.

LaRae
And I think that is totally fine. It's good because then it would all be the same, and what fun would that be?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
... You ascribe too much omniscience to 'professional stylists". This reminds me of debates in science when one party believes that science will/must have the answer to all things. Stylists are concerned with far more global issues when it comes to a dress, than the split seconds of flashbulbs going off, though the flashbulbs for sure factor in if it is known they will be present for significant moments or for a significant length of time. ...
Yes, I give preference to professional advice. I also understand that the British courtiers are not as efficient and professional as the IHA (the Imperial Household Agency). So I do not expect much from them.
One might assume that Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, is not into fashion and makeup. With the public and mass media with HD lenses watching her every move, it would be shrewd to better chose ensembles.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I give preference to professional advice. I also understand that the British courtiers are not as efficient and professional as the IHA (the Imperial Household Agency). So I do not expect much from them.
One might assume that Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, is not into fashion and makeup. With the public and mass media with HD lenses watching her every move, it would be shrewd to better chose ensembles.
I must say that as far as I am aware, the Queen has never had any problems with any item of clothing she has ever worn in all these years and this is particularly so in the last decade or so, since she has most of her clothes designed and made "in-house". Although Angela Kelly is no, per se, a professional adviser, she has clothed the Queen long enough to know what works and what doesn't. And there lies the solution to any royal's clothing decisions - choose designers and materials and designs that are tried and tested, that work well in all situations.
I believe this is the same for the Imperial Family of Japan, where tried and tested designs, templates, materials etc are used and the clothes made or at least fitted with someone at IHA on hand to give strict guidance!
In most other royal families (well, European ones at least), there is more freedom to choose outside designers such as high-street or haute-couture and in doing this, it will take some years to settle on a select few designers who can be trusted.
Accordingly, I do think that Catherine is still going through an experimental phase in her life regarding clothes and style. Her style is distinctive and being a young woman she is a little experimental at times. Once she becomes Princess of Wales and thereafter Queen, I think her style will be well bedded in and slightly less daring. If I am right (and who knows whether I am or not!), I think it is nice to embrace the experimental styles and enjoy watching them develop over the years to come.
Sorry guys for droning on!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Courtier

There was no flash issues, it was a slip which one could see with or without the flash. It how the designer design that clothes and most of her other clothes
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Serene Highness

There was no problem with the dress the slip was white. it is supposed to show and I guess show the lace at its best. A lot of these dresses this year are being designed with white slip or linings underneath.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

IMO this is a great dress just the wrong dress for her. I t is edgy she is not she is uber conservative in her dress style and then the white slip made it look so average and it is not an average piece IMO the whole look would have been better on someone else and for that reason I think I really dont' like this look.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

I think this is the first time I have really disliked something Catherine has worn. The black is alright, but it's the see through bits that put me off as they just look a little awkward to me and also too 'bulky' for me if that makes sense. Her hairstyle also looks a little unkempt, but I quite like her shoes and earrings.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Something is just a little off in this dress. It certainly is different! Her hair is getting a bit distracting again..
Old 11-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

New baby blue coat by Matthew Williamson & old boots for Kate. I like the coat but honestly, how many coats does she own? She could have easily recycled one. Rest is same old (posture, flying hair in the wind)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...chess_of_C.JPG
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...to_i_Image.JPG
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...4_November.jpg

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion