The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Majesty

This has got to be one of her worst looks. The design is just dreadful.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I found this on Facebook. Hope I'm allowed to post it.

https://www.facebook.com/LuluInThePa...type=3&theater

Quote:
Some have criticized her for wearing a white bra with this dress. The lighting is misleading. The dress comes with a full slip. The dress is low in the back. No bra shows. When you wear something black with a slight colored slip, the flash of the lights makes it look much more "see through" than it is.

If the slip had been black that would have defeated the whole purpose of the cutouts. It's meant to give an optical illusion of seeing skin when in fact the only skin we see through the dress is her arms.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I really like Kate...but this just made me cringe....I hope we never see it again.

LaRae
Old 10-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

^Yeah, this is one that I hope she doesn't wear that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Thanks for posting this, Rudolph.

I may not be fond of the dress, but I do love the fact that it has a low back. I hope we see her wearing more dresses with this type of back.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I like it, I don't know what the fuss is about. The low back is the best part, and her hair was covering it up most of the time, that I don't like.
She added a bow and maybe a belt to it which was a good idea. She is in the pot belly stage of pregnancy and a full skirt with a little bit high waist camoflages a lot.

I am amazed she is out again today, I thought yesterday would do her in. She really must be much, much better.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Not a fan of tonights frock... its 'skeletal' somehow... and hardly right for a 'black tie' bash.
I agree with you. It's one of the most unattractive things I've ever seen her in.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this dress is a home run. I love just about everything that Jenny Oackham has done (for Katherine and the rest of us). I think she looks healthy with a little bit of sun on her, but as we all know a bit of sun now means some retin A in a few years...
Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's an early Halloween - she looks like the cat burglar.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree with you. It's one of the most unattractive things I've ever seen her in.
For all the pros and cons of this dress to me the absolute dealbreaker was the lining.

It was supposed to emulate skintone and on the arms her lovely, lightly tanned arms looked really warm against the black. But, for the rest, the lining was a really palid shade that contrasted badly with both her arms and her neck. Not a good match at all.

As for the low back? It really accentuated the problem whenever is showed through her hair.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

This picture gives an excellent sense of the dress, and I like what I see. Probably a very classy look in person.

BTW, I am noticing that some royal ladies are opting for intense designs. I am flashing on some of CP Victoria's ensembles recently. In comparison to some of Victoria's recent choices Catherine is on the conservative spectrum, but still going with the flow. Nice to see. A bit more edge. Is it possible that Catherine will be taking more chances fashion-wise? That will be fun, if so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I think this dress is a home run. I love just about everything that Jenny Oackham has done (for Katherine and the rest of us). I think she looks healthy with a little bit of sun on her, but as we all know a bit of sun now means some retin A in a few years...
I have to agree with all of what you write here, scooter. The dress is interesting and looks like a good fit. Catherine herself looks in fine fettle. Her confidence is very evident and that is a good thing to see.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Majesty

Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, or her handlers forgot to check the black dress for camera flashes. The dress per se look cheap.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't dislike the dress per se, and think the bow belt was a very good addition. But it was a terrible choice for a night event, black in this material NEVER looks good on photos with flash. It also didn't seem very appropriate for a gala. It's a MISS but wouldn't mind to see her wearing during a day event, just to see how it would picture with sun light.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, or her handlers forgot to check the black dress for camera flashes. The dress per se look cheap.
Not at all. It looks exceedingly well-made in fact. I suspect that in person it's an impressive dress. JMO of course.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Majesty

I am sure you are right about the quality. However, a pointelle dress is very difficult to pull off and often does not photograph well.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am sure you are right about the quality. However, a pointelle dress is very difficult to pull off and often does not photograph well.
Dear Al_bina I am not arguing with your view, but your comment gives me a chance to voice one of my pet biases: that no one should dress solely for the cameras (unless one is a model or an actress on the red carpet). It's a 50/50 crap shoot. It is. Dress for oneself and the occasion and (to quote Admiral Farragut) 'Damn the torpedoes!' The camera is both unforgiving and fickle (foremost because of lighting but there are other random issues, too).

This dress Catherine chose is very cool imo. Must be fun to wear.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Nobility

I gotta say that this black Erdem dress is ugly. Gotta be one of her worst looks ever. The design is just weird. And the way it shows the slip underneath make the dress look cheap.

I love the previous day's outfits though. Kate looked perfect in that Jenny Packham gown paired with that pair of gorgeous heels. One of her best looks.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:20 AM
Serene Highness

I'm not loving the dress. I agree with the poster who said it looks "zebra-y" But it is great to see her out and about again. She is a beautiful woman and her hair, make up, and smile looked terrific.

...and the shoes. I love the shoes.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I am not sure how one could check for camera flashes unless one is prepared to accept that the whole idea in practice would be preposterous!
A test such as this would not have the same results in any other lighting conditions other than those to which the clothing would be subject on the night it was to be worn by Catherine. A single flash on someone's phone camera inside a gloomy cupboard at Kensington palace would render the results inconclusive and be a far cry from dozens of media photographers all flashing their nikons at the same time repeatedly.
A few weeks before the event, a group of at least 12 palace staff would have to go out in the dead of night, one wearing the garment, the others (who would all have to be proficient in photography) all holding high quality cameras, media-strength flashes and zoom lenses to test whether or not items secreted underneath the garment can be seen.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

The dress is maybe nice for a Miss Kate Middleton but not so nice for Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge. It is the same person but the difference is clear.

My free advice: You are the spouse to a future Prince of Wales and a future King. Up with that girlie hair, it no longer fits a lady in your position, Ma'am.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I think she tried to wear something similar she wore last year... But maybe she wanted to dare more since most of the times her style is considered "boring"... She is finding her balance... Well, I think this is probably one of her worst outifits but at least she risked!

(..)

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion