The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1241  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NC, United States
Posts: 22
Does Kate or any other British royal ever borrow clothes from designers for public events, or are they always bought? It seems like it would make sense to borrow them--it would save money while still bringing publicity to the brands. Especially since most of the clothes are by British designers.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1242  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
They are certainly not supposed to borrow clothes or get freebies from designers.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1243  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NC, United States
Posts: 22
I knew they weren't supposed to accept gifts, but I guess I don't see what the problem is if they don't keep them. People love to complain about the cost of Kate's designer clothing. Though I suppose it doesn't really matter since Charles pays for it, and they're putting money into the economy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1244  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:19 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA, United States
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
Does Kate or any other British royal ever borrow clothes from designers for public events, or are they always bought? It seems like it would make sense to borrow them--it would save money while still bringing publicity to the brands. Especially since most of the clothes are by British designers.
They don't borrow clothes. Can you imagine "Up for Auction - the Dress Kate wore!" with the $$ going to the designer. When Diana auctioned her dresses, the money went to charity. (At least the first time.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1245  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 600
I don't think her style will change after the baby . She has dressed the same way for years she seems to buy better quality clothing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1246  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
I knew they weren't supposed to accept gifts, but I guess I don't see what the problem is if they don't keep them. People love to complain about the cost of Kate's designer clothing. Though I suppose it doesn't really matter since Charles pays for it, and they're putting money into the economy.
There are several issues:
  1. It looks bad to some people when rich people get things for free. It just looks in bad form; it looks cheap
  2. As the BRF have influence, it would be a potential conflict of interest
  3. It makes them walking advertisements - which they are already - but at least not "paid" walking advertisements.
It does make me wonder what the fee is to have that lovely red orange helicopter on standby in Anglesey?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1247  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,436
I recall that some designers sent items to Catherine and the Palace issued a statement saying that the Duchess would not accept gifts or borrow items.

The piece I read said something along the lines that William knew his mother did accept gifts and "borrowed" and this left her in a difficult position of owing favours. He didn't want Catherine to be put in the same position. But that might be more media spin, although I thought at the time it had a ring of truth about it.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1248  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
There are several issues:
[LIST=1]
[*It looks bad to some people when rich people get things for free. It just looks in bad form; it looks cheap [snipped]
Rich people in the UK and USA are truly cheap. That is why they are rich. No one really knows the arrangement between designer houses and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The fashion houses might send some items and charge a symbolic price. If such arrangement were to come to light, it would be attributed to a lowly assistant's mistake.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things" Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #1249  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 AM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,479
Many designers would love to dress Kate but also take advantage. We know that sales have hit the roof with some fashion houses (as they reported). Many would use her as a way to advertise for their items.
I don't see why she should accept gifts anyways, I never favor royals accepting gifts or borrowing outfits etc. Its tasteless as they can afford the item IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #1250  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 AM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 526
I know that other royals house accept gift. The BRF don't seem to do that (right now)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1251  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
I know that other royals house accept gift. The BRF don't seem to do that (right now)
I think the main objective of that is to prevent any of the BRF from being seen as being walking billboards for anything. Now if lets say Victoria and Daniel sent a personal gift to the Cambridges on the birth of Baby C, that would be a completely different story and private and personal. I think the key word to look at is "commercialism".

Sometimes too, gift giving is part and parcel of official state visits. The Queen very often during state visits exchanges gifts with the visiting officials.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #1252  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Rich people in the UK and USA are truly cheap. That is why they are rich.
What a wonderful and well-thought through statement!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
No one really knows the arrangement between designer houses and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The fashion houses might send some items and charge a symbolic price. If such arrangement were to come to light, it would be attributed to a lowly assistant's mistake.
As somebody who has an involvement in a leading fashion house, my experience has been that the SJP always pays the "rack rate" for any goods supplied. They have never accepted any discounts that are not advertised or available in-store. If more items have been sent over and above what has been specifically ordered, some items that the Duchess likes may be kept, but they are paid for promptly. The other items are all returned.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1253  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
What a wonderful and well-thought through statement!





As somebody who has an involvement in a leading fashion house, my experience has been that the SJP always pays the "rack rate" for any goods supplied. They have never accepted any discounts that are not advertised or available in-store. If more items have been sent over and above what has been specifically ordered, some items that the Duchess likes may be kept, but they are paid for promptly. The other items are all returned.
I can corroborate your information by pointing out the example of the Duchess of Cambridge purchasing a blazer from the Canadian firm of Smythe that had been sent to her prior to her trip here and for which she insisted on paying the retail price.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1254  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
What a wonderful and well-thought through statement!
As somebody who has an involvement in a leading fashion house, my experience has been that the SJP always pays the "rack rate" for any goods supplied. They have never accepted any discounts that are not advertised or available in-store. If more items have been sent over and above what has been specifically ordered, some items that the Duchess likes may be kept, but they are paid for promptly. The other items are all returned.
My comments about rich people are based on my personal experience. ... or perhaps rich people in the UK and USA show different faces to people from different countries ... That is another story.
As for Catherine's, Duchess of Cambridge, wardrobe, I have no information I can trust and am not interested in verifying it. It is just a futile exercise. Your comments are just your opinion based on your experience.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things" Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #1255  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
My comments about rich people are based on my personal experience. ... or perhaps rich people in the UK and USA show different faces to people from different countries ... That is another story.
As for Catherine's, Duchess of Cambridge, wardrobe, I have no information I can trust. Your comments is just your opinion based your experience. I can not verify them as well as you can not verify my comments.
What you are saying is that William and Catherine have lied; and that posters who have actual experience of dealing with SJP are not telling the truth. Surely you dont mean that?
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1256  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,660
I surely mean that. It is a virtual message board where people can say whatever they wish. You do have a full right to disagree with me. That is all.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things" Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #1257  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What you are saying is that William and Catherine have lied; and that posters who have actual experience of dealing with SJP are not telling the truth. Surely you dont mean that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I surely mean that. It is a virtual message board where people can say whatever they wish. You do have a full right to disagree with me. That is all.
Sure, people can say what they like. And if that makes the posters feel any better, so be it. That said, ones comments appear to tell an awful lot about one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
My comments about rich people are based on my personal experience. ... or perhaps rich people in the UK and USA show different faces to people from different countries ... That is another story.
That seems like a pretty sweeping generalisation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1258  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I surely mean that. It is a virtual message board where people can say whatever they wish. You do have a full right to disagree with me. That is all.
I was seeking clarity on what you had written. I accept the personal experiences of people writing on these boards as being true.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1259  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 302
I am sure there are plenty of wealthy people out there who borrow (and not always return) or accept freebies. Plenty of these people live or work in and around Hollywood. However, that does not mean every wealthy person will do the same. Just like some people think their name alone will get them things or favors and others don't.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1260  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think the main objective of that is to prevent any of the BRF from being seen as being walking billboards for anything. Now if lets say Victoria and Daniel sent a personal gift to the Cambridges on the birth of Baby C, that would be a completely different story and private and personal. I think the key word to look at is "commercialism".

Sometimes too, gift giving is part and parcel of official state visits. The Queen very often during state visits exchanges gifts with the visiting officials.
Yeah I meant gifts from commercial place, like a car (from Toyota) and clothes from Valentino
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]