The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
(...)

Yep, it was me who decided that women, especially women over 30 because by that age a woman is definitely a woman, not a girl, should tie their hair up at formal, especially Royal, events, when they are wearing a dress and hat. Only me. No-one else has ever suggested that women with long hair should wear their hair tied up in certain situations. I'm a style-setter! I dictate the rules and woe betide anyone who breaches them!

No-one else has ever suggested that long hair blowing about unrestrained is inappropriate for any Royal woman. No-one else has ever suggested that when that person is the centre of attention and all eyes and cameras are forcused on her she should be in control and that she should not be fiddling with her long hair as it blows around in the breeze; that it is distracting for her and irritating to watch.

It's just me and my irrational, dictatorial ways. *Now why can't I open the Smilies library? I want the one cracking the whip. Oh well.*
Hail the stylemistress!!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
Okay, what the hell can she wear that will make some of you happy? What direction are you demanding she go? Quite frankly, I don't think she'll ever have anything that will satisfy you so perhaps you need to ignore her very existence. I know that will cut into your daily complaint quota but society as a whole would benefit.
LOL too funny and sadly too true

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Serene Highness

Well, Kate's did the thing about her that I hate about her today. (Goes for HM too when it happens). I love yellow, but it does NOT love me, so when I see someone who looks so awesome in it....If only.

I think she looked lovely today. As for the spiteful comments that are par for the course in a thread about Kate...That's what the report to the Mods button is for Guys.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Aristocracy

For me, the hat would have been fine if she had her hair up and styled. I like the coat and color - and Camilla looks great! Love her outfit from head to toe!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The hat is awful and the shoes are not elegant.

The dress isn't bad itself but it didn't look good on her body, IMO. To acomodate her bump it needs extra cloth in the front but as she insists on wearing things that are not maternity the same extra cloth goes to the back. Some body types (large back) can acomodate that extra cloth up to some point but some others don't. Kate petite frame doesn't which means there is too much cloth on her back just "hanging" there. It looks even worse because her legs are skinny. It's just a very big piece of clothe on top of very skinny legs. There is no sense of proportion. This is pretty evident is this photo
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...84_634x997.jpg
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Serene Highness

I adore the hat! Now that is a HAT, and even on straight rather than falling off the side of her pretty head.

The yellow coat is Ok except in the picture where she raised her hand to her head, pulling the coat up so it looked too short. She must keep her hands down lower or else wear something a few inches longer.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very pretty color and style except the big horizontal seam!!
The original coat has no seam so, yes, it was altered to make it maternity, but couldn't the designer just recut the two front panels so there was no seam? Only half the front panels, for almost $2,000??
Also, it does seem there is no dress under the coat. A plain shift, the color of the lining,at least, would have made it more elegant.
Thin, lacy gloves would have finished the outfit. That, or a mega-brooch
Overall, she looked great, love the hair back.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post

The dress isn't bad itself but it didn't look good on her body, IMO. To acomodate her bump it needs extra cloth in the front but as she insists on wearing things that are not maternity the same extra cloth goes to the back. Some body types (large back) can acomodate that extra cloth up to some point but some others don't. Kate petite frame doesn't which means there is too much cloth on her back just "hanging" there. It looks even worse because her legs are skinny. It's just a very big piece of clothe on top of very skinny legs. There is no sense of proportion. This is pretty evident is this photo
I honestly don't see what you're talking about at all. The looks nice to me from the back.

And this coat IS maternity- it was made for her, and What Kate Wore pointed out that the seams were done differently specifically to tailor it for pregnancy.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

The picture you include doesn't look anything like a sack at all. In fact, you can clearly see the fabric tapering in at the sides, just as it should.

Again, I'm not sure dissecting the fit of an outfit worn by a woman this far along in her pregnancy is useful or, well, nice. Especially one who has to be mindful of not looking like she's wasting money but not skimping, either. Quite the balancing act.

I like her hat-very chic, small, and fitting with the outfit.

As for her hair, there is a back view somewhere, and her hair looks lush, shiny, healthy, and she's even got a small bun. I didn't see evidence of it blowing around like a banshee.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post

The picture you include doesn't look anything like a sack at all. In fact, you can clearly see the fabric tapering in at the sides, just as it should.

Again, I'm not sure dissecting the fit of an outfit worn by a woman this far along in her pregnancy is useful or, well, nice. Especially one who has to be mindful of not looking like she's wasting money but not skimping, either. Quite the balancing act.
Exactly. And like I said- What Kate Wore pointed out that Kate's coat was made with horizontal seams instead of vertical seams like the runway version, which will allow it to be taken in after the pregnancy and worn again.

One of my favorite things about her wardrobe is how practical many of her choices are.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I know what you mean and I think this pictures shows it even more
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...26_634x823.jpg
Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 AM
Royal Highness

I can confirm that the weather in the UK is extremely cool and a coat dress is the perfect choice. Kate does wear yellow well and much as I loathe these silly hats, I guess it is a better choice than a large feathery concoction. As for the comments about the cut and style, well, it is a matter of personal taste. Overall I think she looks pretty good.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 AM
Serene Highness

Love the color...not a fan of the dress. Don't mind the hat or the hair. I've been pregnant ...I just don't get the whole shapeless 'smock' thing. Even on my budget I was able to dress in something other than shapeless smocks when going about in public.

I can only think it's a just a personal style difference...she likes the look.

LaRae
Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Nobility

Kate wore these coatdresses even before she got pregnant. Apparently she likes them and feels comfortable in them. Good for her... They're not really my style though.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
The fabric is not tapering in at the sides just as it should. If you put this coat in a clothes hanger, the fabric won't taper in. The back side of this coat is a straight piece of cloth without seams. The seams only exist in the front. This effect you see on the sides (back view) happen when the coat is dressed on Kate simply because her back is too "petite" to dress such a big amount of cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
And this coat IS maternity- it was made for her, and What Kate Wore pointed out that the seams were done differently specifically to tailor it for pregnancy.
Yes, the coat was altered for her to make it maternity. But it was POORLY altered, IMO. The designer thought only about the front part and completely forgot about the back.

The amount of cloth that is completely unecessary is visible in the pic fairy_tale posted
Old 05-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I really like the coat but I don't like that hat. The lemon color took a bit to get get used to but it's grown on me. She looks lovely.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The amount of cloth that is completely unecessary is visible in the pic fairy_tale posted
Not a bad look at all though, particularly for a woman so far in her pregnancy! A nice appearance, IMO.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes, the coat was altered for her to make it maternity. But it was POORLY altered, IMO. The designer thought only about the front part and completely forgot about the back.
Wich is probably because the designer isn't used to designed maternity clothes. There are several posts a few pages back that discus the necessity of specific maternity clothes. I think this proves why, especially late in the pregnancy, maternity outfits are a good thing. Especially for someone in her position.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

The hat is hideous and that is it, everything else looked fine, especially her hair. Hope she continues wearing it like that not only because she looks good but to piss off people who anointed themselves the be all and end all in how woman should wear their hair.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Courtier

I don't understand how Emilia Wickstead builds a business on these homemade-looking items, given the prices she charges. This yellow coat is OK; I do like the color but agree that there is too much fabric in the back. A pet peeve of mine with Kate is when it appears that she is wearing nothing underneath the coat....not that a dress should be sticking out the bottom but at least you should be able to see that she is wearing one, especially if she raises her arms. I like the hat but not with this outfit.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion