The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, or her handlers forgot to check the black dress for camera flashes. The dress per se look cheap.

Last edited:
I don't dislike the dress per se, and think the bow belt was a very good addition. But it was a terrible choice for a night event, black in this material NEVER looks good on photos with flash. It also didn't seem very appropriate for a gala. It's a MISS but wouldn't mind to see her wearing during a day event, just to see how it would picture with sun light.

Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, or her handlers forgot to check the black dress for camera flashes. The dress per se look cheap.

Not at all. It looks exceedingly well-made in fact. I suspect that in person it's an impressive dress. JMO of course. :flowers:

:previous:
I am sure you are right about the quality. However, a pointelle dress is very difficult to pull off and often does not photograph well.

I am sure you are right about the quality. However, a pointelle dress is very difficult to pull off and often does not photograph well.

Dear Al_bina :flowers: I am not arguing with your view, but your comment gives me a chance to voice one of my pet biases: that no one should dress solely for the cameras (unless one is a model or an actress on the red carpet). It's a 50/50 crap shoot. It is. Dress for oneself and the occasion and (to quote Admiral Farragut) 'Damn the torpedoes!' The camera is both unforgiving and fickle (foremost because of lighting but there are other random issues, too).

This dress Catherine chose is very cool imo. Must be fun to wear. ;)

I gotta say that this black Erdem dress is ugly. Gotta be one of her worst looks ever. The design is just weird. And the way it shows the slip underneath make the dress look cheap.

I love the previous day's outfits though. Kate looked perfect in that Jenny Packham gown paired with that pair of gorgeous heels. One of her best looks.

I'm not loving the dress. I agree with the poster who said it looks "zebra-y" But it is great to see her out and about again. She is a beautiful woman and her hair, make up, and smile looked terrific.

...and the shoes. I love the shoes.

I am not sure how one could check for camera flashes unless one is prepared to accept that the whole idea in practice would be preposterous!
A test such as this would not have the same results in any other lighting conditions other than those to which the clothing would be subject on the night it was to be worn by Catherine. A single flash on someone's phone camera inside a gloomy cupboard at Kensington palace would render the results inconclusive and be a far cry from dozens of media photographers all flashing their nikons at the same time repeatedly.
A few weeks before the event, a group of at least 12 palace staff would have to go out in the dead of night, one wearing the garment, the others (who would all have to be proficient in photography) all holding high quality cameras, media-strength flashes and zoom lenses to test whether or not items secreted underneath the garment can be seen.

The dress is maybe nice for a Miss Kate Middleton but not so nice for Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge. It is the same person but the difference is clear.

My free advice: You are the spouse to a future Prince of Wales and a future King. Up with that girlie hair, it no longer fits a lady in your position, Ma'am.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I think she tried to wear something similar she wore last year... But maybe she wanted to dare more since most of the times her style is considered "boring"... She is finding her balance... Well, I think this is probably one of her worst outifits but at least she risked!

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hideous. Well, it is Halloween appropriate, I guess. *cringe*
:eek:

It really is not good I agree infeact I think it is horrible and I have looked at the photos for a good while and no I just cannot find on single thing about this outfit that is redemable.

I'm certainly not a fashonista but I think Kate looked stunning. Always smiling and engaged with people she meets. Beautiful on the inside and out

I am not sure how one could check for camera flashes unless one is prepared to accept that the whole idea in practice would be preposterous!
A test such as this would not have the same results in any other lighting conditions other than those to which the clothing would be subject on the night it was to be worn by Catherine. A single flash on someone's phone camera inside a gloomy cupboard at Kensington palace would render the results inconclusive and be a far cry from dozens of media photographers all flashing their nikons at the same time repeatedly.
A few weeks before the event, a group of at least 12 palace staff would have to go out in the dead of night, one wearing the garment, the others (who would all have to be proficient in photography) all holding high quality cameras, media-strength flashes and zoom lenses to test whether or not items secreted underneath the garment can be seen.
With all due respect, but it would be fair to assume that professional stylists can predict how a certain dress or ensemble will look on photos. If we are to believe some Internet gossips, Hollywood actresses and their stylists check their red carpet ensembles (dresses and makeup) by taking several photos with a really brightest/strongest flash. Apparently it can be done.

Last edited:
Even with the camera flash what we are seeing is a full slip not a bra. The only skin visable are Kate's arms. The style of the dress may not be to everyone's taste but I think Kate always looks stunning

Last edited:
With all due respect, but it would be fair to assume that professional stylists can predict how a certain dress or ensemble will look on photos.

Well yes dear, having carried out the experiment I suggested above! :flowers:

In all seriousness though, it depends on whether professional stylists even know that a possible problem exists and to what length they will go to check how a dress or ensemble will look in photos.
Someone above kindly posted pictures of Cathernine's dress on a mannequin and a model and they show no obvious problem.
At the end of the day, the proof will be whether Catherine wears the dress again - if she doesn't we could assume it might be because of the flash photography. If she does wear it again, then the problem would appear to be in the eye of the beholder.
Perhaps when purchasing an outfit with an unusual material, someone at the palace should go on the internet and look for similar dresses worn by people standing in front of flashing photographers to see how the dress looks.

With all due respect, but it would be fair to assume that professional stylists can predict how a certain dress or ensemble will look on photos. If we are to believe some Internet gossips, Hollywood actresses and their stylists check their red carpet ensembles (dresses and makeup) by taking several photos with a really brightest/strongest flash. Apparently it can be done.

It obviously can't be done with 100% accuracy, seeing as many celebs and royals have it happen frequently.

Agree 100%. :p

You ascribe too much omniscience to 'professional stylists". :flowers: This reminds me of debates in science when one party believes that science will/must have the answer to all things. ;) Stylists are concerned with far more global issues when it comes to a dress, than the split seconds of flashbulbs going off, though the flashbulbs for sure factor in if it is known they will be present for significant moments or for a significant length of time.

Well yes dear, having carried out the experiment I suggested above! :flowers:

In all seriousness though, it depends on whether professional stylists even know that a possible problem exists and to what length they will go to check how a dress or ensemble will look in photos.
Someone above kindly posted pictures of Cathernine's dress on a mannequin and a model and they show no obvious problem.
At the end of the day, the proof will be whether Catherine wears the dress again - if she doesn't we could assume it might be because of the flash photography. If she does wear it again, then the problem would appear to be in the eye of the beholder.
Perhaps when purchasing an outfit with an unusual material, someone at the palace should go on the internet and look for similar dresses worn by people standing in front of flashing photographers to see how the dress looks.

In the end, there really is no problem with the dress. It is beautiful as is. One may not care for the dress but that's a style issue, nothing more.

This dress has pizzazz. ;) It is really well-designed (what I meant when I said 'well-made'). It reminds me of a Picasso. It's got that edge but is still within bounds.

Last edited:
She's a beautiful girl and herself always looks very nice....however even without the 'flash issue' the dress is just awful. The design is horrid. The pattern of the dress does nothing for her. I don't see what's so edgy about it either...it's a black dress with 'cut outs'...it has been done by various celebs starting years ago.

LaRae

She's a beautiful girl and herself always looks very nice....however even without the 'flash issue' the dress is just awful. The design is horrid. The pattern of the dress does nothing for her. I don't see what's so edgy about it either...it's a black dress with 'cut outs'...it has been done by various celebs starting years ago.

LaRae

And I think that is totally fine. :flowers: It's good because then it would all be the same, and what fun would that be? ;)

... You ascribe too much omniscience to 'professional stylists". :flowers: This reminds me of debates in science when one party believes that science will/must have the answer to all things. ;) Stylists are concerned with far more global issues when it comes to a dress, than the split seconds of flashbulbs going off, though the flashbulbs for sure factor in if it is known they will be present for significant moments or for a significant length of time. ...
Yes, I give preference to professional advice. I also understand that the British courtiers are not as efficient and professional as the IHA (the Imperial Household Agency). So I do not expect much from them.
One might assume that Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, is not into fashion and makeup. With the public and mass media with HD lenses watching her every move, it would be shrewd to better chose ensembles.

Last edited:
Yes, I give preference to professional advice. I also understand that the British courtiers are not as efficient and professional as the IHA (the Imperial Household Agency). So I do not expect much from them.
One might assume that Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, is not into fashion and makeup. With the public and mass media with HD lenses watching her every move, it would be shrewd to better chose ensembles.

I must say that as far as I am aware, the Queen has never had any problems with any item of clothing she has ever worn in all these years and this is particularly so in the last decade or so, since she has most of her clothes designed and made "in-house". Although Angela Kelly is no, per se, a professional adviser, she has clothed the Queen long enough to know what works and what doesn't. And there lies the solution to any royal's clothing decisions - choose designers and materials and designs that are tried and tested, that work well in all situations.
I believe this is the same for the Imperial Family of Japan, where tried and tested designs, templates, materials etc are used and the clothes made or at least fitted with someone at IHA on hand to give strict guidance!
In most other royal families (well, European ones at least), there is more freedom to choose outside designers such as high-street or haute-couture and in doing this, it will take some years to settle on a select few designers who can be trusted.
Accordingly, I do think that Catherine is still going through an experimental phase in her life regarding clothes and style. Her style is distinctive and being a young woman she is a little experimental at times. Once she becomes Princess of Wales and thereafter Queen, I think her style will be well bedded in and slightly less daring. If I am right (and who knows whether I am or not!), I think it is nice to embrace the experimental styles and enjoy watching them develop over the years to come.
Sorry guys for droning on!

Last edited:
There was no flash issues, it was a slip which one could see with or without the flash. It how the designer design that clothes and most of her other clothes

There was no problem with the dress the slip was white. it is supposed to show and I guess show the lace at its best. A lot of these dresses this year are being designed with white slip or linings underneath.

IMO this is a great dress just the wrong dress for her. I t is edgy she is not she is uber conservative in her dress style and then the white slip made it look so average and it is not an average piece IMO the whole look would have been better on someone else and for that reason I think I really dont' like this look.

I think this is the first time I have really disliked something Catherine has worn. The black is alright, but it's the see through bits that put me off as they just look a little awkward to me and also too 'bulky' for me if that makes sense. Her hairstyle also looks a little unkempt, but I quite like her shoes and earrings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is just a little off in this dress. It certainly is different! Her hair is getting a bit distracting again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom