The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
That not underwear, that the nude slip that comes with the dress as shown by the link that Rudolph provided

Yes I know that there is a nude slip but you can see clearly the outline of her bra including the straps in the pictures from The Daily Mail due to all the flashlight. No doubt about that.

Wow that really is bad!
Gala implied something stylish.

I knew there would be fire and brimstone here after I saw the look for tonight. All I have to say is that for those of you kvetch all the time about how she dresses in too old a style - that ain't a problem tonight.

Calm down and look at the pics on the DM which show the full slip/lining.

She's a very attractive pregnant Duchess in an edgy dress. She looks good and healthy, and from the pictures, she seems to know it.
Some of you may not like the style and that's your right. The Duchess is feeling it though. :p Go girl!

I'll bet all of those who were there thought she looked wonderful. Pretty face, pretty hair, pretty figure, pretty dress... They weren't judging her by photographs, which may or may not represent her appearance accurately.

eh, considering how often it happens to celebs with stylists, I don't think so. We all think our clothes will stand up to x, y, & zed until they don't. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say.

Yep. Plus it's happened to quite a few of the royal ladies. I used to think this was easily controllable, but it seems to be a common problem for celebs and royals. Kate's dress has a pretty thick lining, so I'm sure she assumed it could stand up to the flash.

Wow that really is bad!
Gala implied something stylish.

But style is subjective. I've always liked Oscar de la Renta's take:

“Fashion is about dressing according to what’s fashionable. Style is more about being yourself.”

Last edited:

Kate looks happy and healthy which is wonderful to see. In the pictures taken indoors the dress seems nice enough. However in the pictures taken in the flash you can see far too much! Especially in the third picture quoted above.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The dress is quite funny and doesn't suit her well, it makes Kate's face look plump.

Well, she is pregnant and I hope that choice is temporary.

I knew there would be fire and brimstone here after I saw the look for tonight. All I have to say is that for those of you kvetch all the time about how she dresses in too old a style - that ain't a problem tonight.

Calm down and look at the pics on the DM which show the full slip/lining.

She's a very attractive pregnant Duchess in an edgy dress. She looks good and healthy, and from the pictures, she seems to know it.
Some of you may not like the style and that's your right. The Duchess is feeling it though. :p Go girl!

My thoughts exactly. This dress would undoubtedly divide opinion partly because it's so different. I need to remind myself of some of the outfits she wore the in the early months of her previous maternity, but I 'm sensing a more confident Catherine who despite the horrid sickness, is looking pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Look at Emblem Flare Dress — Shoptiques. It's the under-liner showing through on the bodice - not a white bra. LOL.

I'm so glad Kate is breaking the "no black in the evening unless in mourning" rule that the BRF followed through the 90's. Di broke the rule and was pilloried. Time for the rule to die. :lol:

It's definitely not my cup of tea, but it looks wayyyyy better in natural or semi-natural light.

Look at Emblem Flare Dress — Shoptiques. It's the under-liner showing through on the bodice - not a white bra. LOL.

I'm so glad Kate is breaking the "no black in the evening unless in mourning" rule that the BRF followed through the 90's. Di broke the rule and was pilloried. Time for the rule to die. :lol:

It is a slip, you can see that clearly especially in the photos wear she's moving but don't tell people that they are convince that it a bra.

That white slip look exactly like the white slip from her other black lace Temperley dress

I'm not a fan of this dress. I can't find one positive thing to say about it. However, her smile is absolutely beautiful.

I'm not a fan of this dress. I can't find one positive thing to say about it. However, her smile is absolutely beautiful.

Same here. It's the first time Catherine has worn an evening dress that I did not like at all.

I don't like the dress she is wearing tonight... It's nice but uhm off IMO

Duchess Kate attends third engagement in four days - hellomagazine.com

The dress is not bad at all but the only thing ruining it is the whitish lining, It should've been a nude color.
You are absolutely correct Marty, it just doesn't look quite right. And Dazzling, the difference between the outside photos show tanned arms and neck and the rest is sort glaring white. Worse, the stretch of white lining over the bust has somewhat dire consequences.
HALLOWEEN ALERT!! this dress is so ugly!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414090330802_wps_44_October_23_2014_October_2.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414090330805_wps_45_Mandatory_Credit_Photo_by.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...ge_galleryImage_Image_Licensed_to_i_Image.JPG

Due to flash photography Kate's underwear is visible, very classy. As usual flying hair and bad posture, nothing new here.

the more I see this dress the less I like it... It looks like a sadomasochist one... Well, it's a miss.
DoM, a bit harsh, and yet I can't say I actually disagree with you. But either way, Catherine is yet another victim of flash photography. Marty, that is a very astute observation and you just hit the nail on the head. It really does trend toward BDSM . . . which, I feel certain, was not the "look" she was aiming for!

I was looking for something along the lines of a stylish cocktail dress at the very least. But that? No way.
For me, the strange thing about this dress is that I think the design is lovely on the mannequin, but just doesn't look great on the human body!
But style is subjective. I've always liked Oscar de la Renta's take:

“Fashion is about dressing according to what’s fashionable. Style is more about being yourself.”
Jack, I think this dress falls into the "Art" rather than "Fashion" folio. It does not do her any favours and all the raves have been mainly about "cutting edge" and her "being brave and taking risks", all of which point firmly to "Art".

So, sorry soapstar, this dress was definitely not what Oscar de la Renta was talking about! He loved the female form and loved to dress it, and this gown is definitely "Fashion" as Catherine does not seem to have settled on her own particular "Style">

Last edited:
^I totally disagree. For one, I don't think this dress is that fashionable. But more importantly, style is about what you like, not about what others like. This is what I believe Oscar was saying. Don't dress for others, dress for yourself- wear what makes you feel good/beautiful. Which is something I think Kate does.

It is a slip, you can see that clearly especially in the photos wear she's moving but don't tell people that they are convince that it a bra.

That white slip look exactly like the white slip from her other black lace Temperley dress

Thanks to you and AdmirerUS for pointing this out. I thought it was her bra, but looking at other photos, you can see that it's the beige slip under the dress. In these two photos you can see it's the lining.

Kate Middleton Pictures - Kate Middleton at the Action on Addiction Gala - Zimbio

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhatKateWore/media/grid?idx=0&tid=525415928008568832.

Last edited:
Not really a fan of this dress. I believe she's done better before.

I found this on Facebook. Hope I'm allowed to post it.

https://www.facebook.com/LuluInThePa...type=3&theater

Some have criticized her for wearing a white bra with this dress. The lighting is misleading. The dress comes with a full slip. The dress is low in the back. No bra shows. When you wear something black with a slight colored slip, the flash of the lights makes it look much more "see through" than it is.

If the slip had been black that would have defeated the whole purpose of the cutouts. It's meant to give an optical illusion of seeing skin when in fact the only skin we see through the dress is her arms.

I really like Kate...but this just made me cringe....I hope we never see it again.

LaRae

Last edited:
I like it, I don't know what the fuss is about. The low back is the best part, and her hair was covering it up most of the time, that I don't like.
She added a bow and maybe a belt to it which was a good idea. She is in the pot belly stage of pregnancy and a full skirt with a little bit high waist camoflages a lot.

I am amazed she is out again today, I thought yesterday would do her in. She really must be much, much better.

Not a fan of tonights frock... its 'skeletal' somehow... and hardly right for a 'black tie' bash.

I agree with you. It's one of the most unattractive things I've ever seen her in:eek:.

It's an early Halloween - she looks like the cat burglar. :eek:

I agree with you. It's one of the most unattractive things I've ever seen her in:eek:.
For all the pros and cons of this dress to me the absolute dealbreaker was the lining.

It was supposed to emulate skintone and on the arms her lovely, lightly tanned arms looked really warm against the black. But, for the rest, the lining was a really palid shade that contrasted badly with both her arms and her neck. Not a good match at all.

As for the low back? It really accentuated the problem whenever is showed through her hair.

I found this on Facebook. Hope I'm allowed to post it.

https://www.facebook.com/LuluInThePa...type=3&theater

This picture gives an excellent sense of the dress, and I like what I see. :flowers: Probably a very classy look in person.

BTW, I am noticing that some royal ladies are opting for intense designs. I am flashing on some of CP Victoria's ensembles recently. In comparison to some of Victoria's recent choices Catherine is on the conservative spectrum, but still going with the flow. Nice to see. A bit more edge. Is it possible that Catherine will be taking more chances fashion-wise? That will be fun, if so.

I think this dress is a home run. I love just about everything that Jenny Oackham has done (for Katherine and the rest of us). I think she looks healthy with a little bit of sun on her, but as we all know a bit of sun now means some retin A in a few years...

I have to agree with all of what you write here, scooter. :) The dress is interesting and looks like a good fit. Catherine herself looks in fine fettle. Her confidence is very evident and that is a good thing to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom