The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Kate's skirts have blown up about 5-7x, you'd think she'd learn by now and change her behavior.
And everyone else's have, too. The problem is that photogs consider this the "money shot," playing on the basest inclinations of nincompoops everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
OK, now we've got people telling us we can't negatively comment, AGAIN. All you Kate worshipers need to cool your jets...I don't think this forum has been designated as an only-nice-things-about-Kate venue. If it has, please let me know.

Sometimes Kate looks great, sometimes she doesn't.
It's not that people have negative comments, it's that some of us are complaining that some posters, in our opinion, are being unrealistic and unfair. In a lively discussion, one can expect to have push back when someone doesn't agree.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

We don't need another fundamental debate! Share your opinions about the Duchess of Cambridge's fashion choices and do so with a respectful attitude - towards the discussed person and towards each other - then everything is fine!

Old 05-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Kate's skirts have blown up about 5-7x, you'd think she'd learn by now and change her behavior.
Well considering she now wears some type of shorts or something underneath her dresses, it seems she is changing her behavior since the Canadian airport visit.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...65_964x640.jpg

There's also another picture of her wearing shorts or something underneath a dress she wore to a polo match back in May, but I can't seem to find it.

The McQueen outfit she wore during the PEI visit, was made from heavy material and it still blew up. So I don't think it's a matter of wearing weights in her skirts. I mean, I've seen multiple wind blown photos from the Queen and she uses weights. In fact, I've seen many royals with multiple skirt mishaps, so it's not an easy thing to prevent. The only solutions I can think of, are to wear something underneath the dresses/skirts, or just wear nothing but pants or structured/form fitting skirts every time they are out and about.

What would really be nice, is if the paps and media would stop taking photos and publishing pictures of women having wardrobe malfunctions. It serves no other purpose than to embarrass and humiliate them.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

If she's wearing shorts underneath her dresses then I withdraw any previous comments I've made concerning this issue - if she is wearing shorts then it means that she has learned from past mistakes. I think that's all we can ask.

And yes - it would be best if wardrobe malfunction pictures of anyone were no longer published (or even taken). It's disrespectful to the women and says something really negative about society as a whole.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate can continue to wear her flippy skirts, she just needs a straight slip when she does wear them. They don't blow up but let the dress blow up. I guess she doesn't know about slips. It would not have helped in this situation, as I don't know if they still make maternity slips and she probably wouldn't wear one anyway.

BTW, a Morning coat doesn't actually have tails, but it looks like it does from the front.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
OK, now we've got people telling us we can't negatively comment, AGAIN. All you Kate worshipers need to cool your jets...I don't think this forum has been designated as an only-nice-things-about-Kate venue. If it has, please let me know.

Sometimes Kate looks great, sometimes she doesn't.
Thank you for your calm and reasoned post. Re your earlier post, you are of course correct, William was wearing a Morning Suit. However, that is still much dressier than a suit and dressier still than a tux and my opinion of Catherine's choice of ensemble still stands. I think William's tie cost more than her dress.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I suggested a slip a while back too. T
hose shorts were from the Canadian visit, not recent. It looked to be a heavier knit material, but it is also pleated.
I really would try all those things if it were me, slip, no pleats, heavy material, as I said, the sky blue dress she wore to the museum would have fit the bill and looked nicer than the polka dot which I also thought was a little cheap for a wedding.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Royal Highness

I also wonder why that fabulous sky blue dress was not recycled for the wedding; fabulous for daytime formals and night as well.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
hose shorts were from the Canadian visit, not recent. It looked to be a heavier knit material, but it is also pleated.
I really would try all those things if it were me, slip, no pleats, heavy material, as I said, the sky blue dress she wore to the museum would have fit the bill and looked nicer than the polka dot which I also thought was a little cheap for a wedding.
For goodness sake, perhaps it doesn't fit. She's pregnant. Everyday her body changes.

Have the people on this forum lost sight of the most important fact, she's pregnant for the first time.

Give the woman a break. What I see here is women giving another wOman a hard time for her rapidly changing body and not dressing correctly.

Don't question Catherine, just look at yourselves.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't care what anyone says- it is very hard to look good in the later stages of pregnancy!

I must have heard a hundred women declare: "I may be pregnant, but I am going to look good!"

They then discover that no matter what they do, they will be huge, ungainly, and rather uncomfortable. It's the same for everyone; you can try your best, but there's a limit on what you can do! This was even true for Princess Diana, who was a fashion icon for most of her public life.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 PM

^Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Canada isn't the only time she wore shorts under her dress though. She wore some last year, so it's possible that she's taken to wearing them when she wears flowy dresses.

I've seen photos of various royals with their slips blowing up as high as the dress. So I don't think a slip would really solve the wind issue.

As for the blue dress, I read that it fit when she initially tried it on, but it had to be taken out before she wore it to the museum. So it's possible that she was having similar fit issues. Like cepe said, your body changes every day during pregnancy and what fits one day, may not fit another. She's in the last stages of her pregnancy and I imagine right now, she's just trying to wear what's comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
And yes - it would be best if wardrobe malfunction pictures of anyone were no longer published (or even taken). It's disrespectful to the women and says something really negative about society as a whole.
Totally agree.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Courtier

It was much easier in the past when a pregnant lady did not appear in public after she began to show.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

From personal experience, any few and far-between embarrassing sartorial mishaps happen just that once and never again. One tends to learn from a mortifying situation and not to repeat it.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
From personal experience, I know that when I have an embarrassing and mortifying sartorial mishap, it happens just that once and never again. I try to learn from my mistakes and not to repeat them.
I don't think it's about Kate (or any of the royals) not learning from their mistakes. It's just that unfortunately for them, they're constantly followed by cameras and that means there are bound to be more than a few sartorial mistakes caught on camera.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness

I actually thought of this thread today in my real life- I went to work in a perfectly work appropriate, conservative outfit of a light summer dress covered with a cardigan. The morning was beautiful and sunny and it was an appropriate outfit. Well, this afternoon the temperature dropped and the wind kicked up something fierce, and I had to stop for gas. I found myself having to desperately hold down my skirt with one hand while I put gas in the car, and I actually thought "Oh man, thank goodness there's no one around to make fun of me or take pictures right now."

Sometimes, circumstances are unforeseen. You dress comfortably and appropriately and yet weather and circumstance do not always cooperate. Thank goodness 99.99999% of us aren't constantly followed by a pack of people with cameras waiting to catch us in an ungraceful moment.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Aristocracy

I read once (quite a while ago and I don't remember where) that in her younger days The Queen didn't actually weigh her hems but relied on a straight slip under her dresses. A close-fitting straight slip will almost NEVER blow up, regardless of the wind. There's even an old picture I remember seeing where one of her dress came up a bit but the slip stayed down and preserved the royal modesty. Of course for many years now her dress style itself does that.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Kate can continue to wear her flippy skirts, she just needs a straight slip when she does wear them. They don't blow up but let the dress blow up. I guess she doesn't know about slips. It would not have helped in this situation, as I don't know if they still make maternity slips and she probably wouldn't wear one anyway.
Perfect solution; I wore plenty of those straight slips with flaring dresses and the slip stayed in place even if the dress hem flipped up. It's too bad that slips seem to have gone out of style; such a useful aid.

That's a prime example of utilizing a functional undergarment to prevent another sartorial mishap from reoccurring for the cameras to catch.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
From personal experience, any few and far-between embarrassing sartorial mishaps happen just that once and never again. One tends to learn from a mortifying situation and not to repeat it.
Exactly, how hard is it to look at the weather channel. If its windy outside don't wear a dress with light material, it's not that hard. I understood the first time it happened in Canada, but I am not going to defend her time after time after time that this happens to her. And even if you insist on wearing light fabric hold onto your skirt until you get inside. I haven't worn a slip since elementary school so I don't recall what a straight slip is.
Kate knows she is going to be photographed so she knows if she has another wardrobe malfunction it will be photographed; better to take precautions against such events occurring.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-16-2013, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Once again a couple of posts have been deleted, please read the above posted mod post again, further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Hopefully we'll get some better photos of the outfit, but here's a few of Kate shopping earlier this week.

From what I can see, I like the outfit. I think she does casual really well and I usually like her casual style much better than her dressy style. I also think her hair also looks really cute like that.

Catherine: Duchess of Cambridge

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion