The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I don't dislike Kate, but since this is a fashion thread I can certainly voice my opinion on her fashion - and her fashion alone.
I feel the same as you. Even though I really like her a lot, that can't be a excuse to like everything she wears, so I'll say my opinion or point out some detail that wasn't to my liking.

But lately she is on a WIN role, I guess its because of Spring, as she has more varity of prints and colors and the increased amount of other types of clothes, dresses, etc...

Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think a woman's dress flying up and showing parts of her backside is a big deal. I am not a one of the people who thinks she needs to wear long skirts like the Queen, but this is becoming an issue of common sense. Photographers are watching her and they have proven to be disgusting in their morals; if her skirt flys up again they will not hesitate to take a picture of it for the world to see. I feel this is similar to Hollywood stars/wannabes getting out of cars with no underwear on. Many of them who have had pix of this event have learned to wear at least a thong or get out of a car more carefully, or both.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I am really looking forward to tomorrow where either
(a) there will be something new to talk about by way of fashion OR
(b) something to discuss by way of a repeat outfit OR
(c) a different outfit so we can spend something like 3-4 pages repeating what we have said about wighting down dresses.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think a woman's dress flying up and showing parts of her backside is a big deal. I am not a one of the people who thinks she needs to wear long skirts like the Queen, but this is becoming an issue of common sense. Photographers are watching her and they have proven to be disgusting in their morals; if her skirt flys up again they will not hesitate to take a picture of it for the world to see. I feel this is similar to Hollywood stars/wannabes getting out of cars with no underwear on. Many of them who have had pix of this event have learned to wear at least a thong or get out of a car more carefully, or both.
I think it's really quite different, because many of those "stars" were doing that intentionally, because they wanted the paparazzi to get those pictures. I really doubt that Kate is aiming for that sort of attention.

IMO, weighted hems or whatever would probably be a good idea just because it would make things easier for Kate; she would have her hands free for greeting people, rather than keeping her skirt down.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Courtier

No, I'm not going to blame Hollywood stars because a paparazzi decides to lay on the ground and take an upskirt photo of them
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

I think it's really quite different, because many of those "stars" were doing that intentionally, because they wanted the paparazzi to get those pictures. I really doubt that Kate is aiming for that sort of attention.

IMO, weighted hems or whatever would probably be a good idea just because it would make things easier for Kate; she would have her hands free for greeting people, rather than keeping her skirt down.
That's an opinion. I wouldn't think that every star who has a wardrobe malfunction is doing so intentionally. Not all stars want their lady bits plastered on the Internet for the world to see - even some who end up having problems getting out of a vehicle without flashing the camera.

As to whether or not Catherine is looking for this kind of attention.... I'm not trying to be negative on Catherine, but I do question the motives of someone who knows that she's going to be photographed intensely, has had multiple problems before, and yet continues to persist in her behaviour. I don't think she necessarily wants her bum to be photographed, but at this point it does seem like she wants us to be talking about how her bum was almost photographed.

It's just like with the bikini photos - if you don't want someone to photograph you in a bikini while you're walking down the beach, don't wear a bikini while you're walking down the beach. If you don't want your bum to be exposed on camera, and you've had two occasions where it's happened/almost happened, then rectify your behaviour. The wind isn't going to stop being an issue, and like it or not neither is the paparazzi.

As for whether or not Catherine is aware of what's being said about her - either on the Internet in general or in papers specifically - I highly doubt any member of any royal family isn't aware of what's being said about them. We know that the Queen reads a good selection of papers daily, including some of the tabloid ones, I would expect Charles, William, their wives, to do similarly.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I am really looking forward to tomorrow where either
(a) there will be something new to talk about by way of fashion OR
(b) something to discuss by way of a repeat outfit OR
(c) a different outfit so we can spend something like 3-4 pages repeating what we have said about wighting down dresses.
Oh, absolutely!

As to the hemlines, since she continues to wear dresses/skirts on the shorter side, the palace/Queen see no harm in it. I bet that if there was an issue, Her Majesty would have said something, and the hemlines would have changed. Catherine is a young, attractive woman, with great figure. Her fashion reflects that. On top of that, she dresses classy, and not walking around in Daisy Dukes, with her mid-riff on display. I work with teachers who dress in shorter, and more revealing attire, and no one says a thing. Catherine could be a great example, because she dresses in a classy and contemporary fashion. People need to give her a bit of a break.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
No, I'm not going to blame Hollywood stars because a paparazzi decides to lay on the ground and take an upskirt photo of them
Oh, I don't blame celebs in general, but there were at least a couple of starlets who were well-known repeat offenders in the let-me-get-out-of-my-car-and-show-you-my-nether-regions department, back circa '07. It was a bit of a trend for a while, and that's what springs to mind for me when such things are mentioned. There was an inherent crassness on both the side of the press and some celebs in those instances; Kate is in quite different circumstances, at least in terms of her behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
That's an opinion. I wouldn't think that every star who has a wardrobe malfunction is doing so intentionally. Not all stars want their lady bits plastered on the Internet for the world to see - even some who end up having problems getting out of a vehicle without flashing the camera.

As to whether or not Catherine is looking for this kind of attention.... I'm not trying to be negative on Catherine, but I do question the motives of someone who knows that she's going to be photographed intensely, has had multiple problems before, and yet continues to persist in her behaviour. I don't think she necessarily wants her bum to be photographed, but at this point it does seem like she wants us to be talking about how her bum was almost photographed.

It's just like with the bikini photos - if you don't want someone to photograph you in a bikini while you're walking down the beach, don't wear a bikini while you're walking down the beach. If you don't want your bum to be exposed on camera, and you've had two occasions where it's happened/almost happened, then rectify your behaviour. The wind isn't going to stop being an issue, and like it or not neither is the paparazzi.

As for whether or not Catherine is aware of what's being said about her - either on the Internet in general or in papers specifically - I highly doubt any member of any royal family isn't aware of what's being said about them. We know that the Queen reads a good selection of papers daily, including some of the tabloid ones, I would expect Charles, William, their wives, to do similarly.
Oh, I didn't say that every star who's had a wardrobe malfunction did so intentionally; I would never say that. I said there were many who did - and perhaps "many" is even an overstatement, but there are undoubtedly a few, and it's well-known among many (common knowledge, I thought).

I really, really don't think Kate is going for that kind of attention at all. I very much doubt she wants anyone talking about her rear end. She continues to "persist in her behavior"? What, wearing skirts? I find that all to be a bit of a leap. I realize she might not wear clothes that are as tailored or whatever as people on here might like to see, but it doesn't strike me that she's ever tried to be intentionally inappropriate or exhibitionist.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I really, really don't think Kate is going for that kind of attention at all. I very much doubt she wants anyone talking about her rear end. She continues to "persist in her behavior"? What, wearing skirts? I find that all to be a bit of a leap. I realize she might not wear clothes that are as tailored or whatever as people on here might like to see, but it doesn't strike me that she's ever tried to be intentionally inappropriate or exhibitionist.
She continues to wear skirts that aren't capable of handling the wind on windy days. I like that she doesn't always wear a tailored or whatever outfit - I like the fact that she's as comfortable in something that cost 30 dollars as she is wearing something that costs a thousand. My point isn't that she continues to wear skirts, or even specifically short skirts (if I had those legs I would too), but that she hasn't gone "okay the wind keeps on trying to show too much of my body, how do I remedy this?"

If a celebrity climbs out of a vehicle once and flashes a camera that can be construed as an accident. What they should do, in my opinion, is go "what do I need to do to make sure that my crotch doesn't end up photographed on the Internet again." It doesn't necessarily mean not wearing skirts, short or otherwise, it just means altering their behaviour somehow to prevent that from happening. Similarly, with Catherine, one bum shot due to wind can be seen as an accident. But the fact that she continues to have this issue and have to fight with her skirts while at engagements shows to me that she's not going "okay, this is a problem, what can I do to make sure my bum doesn't wind up on the Internet."

In a perfect world, she would be able to have a fight with the wind and photographers would go "no, it'd be inappropriate to take a picture of someone's accidental bum flashing" - similarly, female celebs should be able to get out of cars without worrying about someone trying to her a crotch shot. But it's not a perfect world, and knowing that I think the fact that Catherine hasn't gone "my bum keeps on almost ending up on the Internet, what do I do to stop that from happening?" suggests to me that she is wanting some of this attention.

Although, in her favour, it's not like she has a bad behind. Perhaps this is all her way of going "hey, my bum is every bit as good as Pippa's!"
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I think saying she wants the attention is a bit much. The majority of the outfits/skirts she has worn have been pretty structured/wind resistance. So it's not like she's parading around at every engagement in floaty skirts. For this event, she probably didn't think too much about the wind, since she was basically getting out of the car and going straight into the venue. Usually when she's going to be outside or shaking hands with the crowd, she wears skirts that have more structure.

I do agree that she is going to need to address the skirt/wind issue. Whether that means using weights, shorts or some type of slip.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And if Catherine doesn't do it herself, at least her assistant should as part of the work description.

Plus it shouldn't be this difficult to ask the Buckingham In-house dressers to modify this or that skirt/dress.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
When did she go to Australia?
It was transit stop after the tour to West Asia.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

I like the idea of the short pants type garment underneath the dress. That way she can wear her short, lightweight skirts to her heart's content without her having to worry about wardrobe malfunctions. Problem solved.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I like the idea of the short pants type garment underneath the dress. That way she can wear her short, lightweight skirts to her heart's content without her having to worry about wardrobe malfunctions. Problem solved.
Well ... I can see discussions coming up in such case about 'Passion killers'. On the other handside, if the short pants are too short they wouldn't serve the purpose. Thus, this is not necessarily a solution IMHO.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh, I didn't say that every star who's had a wardrobe malfunction did so intentionally; I would never say that. I said there were many who did - and perhaps "many" is even an overstatement, but there are undoubtedly a few, and it's well-known among many (common knowledge, I thought).

IKR. She doesn't wear floaty dresses that often, but the way people are talking, it like that the only things she ever wears

She should just wear a burqa or a nun outfit.

She often wears pantyhose and with some dresses slips
Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Well ... I can see discussions coming up in such case about 'Passion killers'. On the other handside, if the short pants are too short they wouldn't serve the purpose. Thus, this is not necessarily a solution IMHO.
As long as they cover her rear, I don't see why shorts wouldn't work. There are a variety of yoga shorts that would work perfectly for float skirts/dresses.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Courtier

Whether she wears shorts, slips, she will still be trying to fix her floaty dresses when there winds.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
...I think the fact that Catherine hasn't gone "my bum keeps on almost ending up on the Internet, what do I do to stop that from happening?" suggests to me that she is wanting some of this attention....
Absurd. And distasteful.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Absurd. And distasteful.
Absolutely. The comment you quoted is one of the more obnoxious ones I've seen posted around here- lacks empathy and is very victim-blaming.

What the poster you quoted does not seem to understand is exactly how many cameras are trained on these people at all times- and how hard many of them are trying to get that kind of shot. A lot of the shots up celebrity skirts are taken from people hanging out near the ground with a long lens specifically trying to see up the skirt. It borders on sexual harassment much of the time.

Wind is a fact of nature- it's not something that can be totally controlled or accounted for, and it's bound to occasionally cause some wardrobe issues, which are embarrassing but certainly not something that should cause anyone to insinuate that these women enjoy being humiliated that way.

Just. Ugh. Horrible post.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Absurd. And distasteful.
Well said. I think that this has gone from a thread about maternity clothes to a stream of criticism about the Duchess.

This conversation has been on repeat mode for at least a day and a half.

What else is there to say. IMO we should stick with the clothes, not the person.

Roll on tomorrow and at least we may get a slight change of subject.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion