The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
It doesn't matter what length her dress/skirt are, depending on the material. If there is a big gust, it will be lifted. As proven by that lady she meet when she wore her McQueen military coat (the blue one). That lady skirt was below her knee, and we still saw all her underwear because of the wind.

Where does it come from that the Queen weights her hemline? These photos tells me she doesn't http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC.../s640/Wind.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MC_9qPAgAc...48_306x956.jpg
Angela Kelly's book Dressing the Queen described a lot of the inside secrets including the weighting of hems. I was well covered when the book came out.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Nobility

I remember when there was talk of the Queen's hems being weighted many years back. But if they are/were, it took quite awhile before she or her dresser caught on that it was required. Two of the pictures that miche provided are from the mid-1960's, which means the Queen was in her very late 30's or early 40's ... and she was born into royalty and should've caught on a lot faster than Kate. So Kate has almost 10 years to catch up.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Courtier

Well Kate discovered (as did the rest of us) on her honeymoon the risks of light material and lack of hem weights....you'd think she would of taken steps to make sure that didn't happen again.

LaRae
Old 04-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

That wasn't her honeymoon, it was in Canada on a tour.
I don't like polka dots so the dress isn't my fav. I am going to ignore all these "it's too short" comments or I will end up pulling my hair out.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Small point - there was no hem on this dress - it was "rolled". What do you expect for c.£40?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

Haha,well for £40 I find it still very beautiful and stylish, but of course the quality of the material and the craftmanship are very different from a properly tailored dress!
However,I like the look of the polka dot dress,it looks fresh and feminine to me.
. Helen Keller
Old 04-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

The polka dot dress looks like it needs a slip beneath it, so it won't blow against her legs and look like a split skirt. Maybe she's too busy to buy a maternity slip...she has been busy lately. Maybe she does not have a "dresser" or other employee like we have seen for royals. Like Stephanie she may do her own dressing and sometimes it looks casual...but we like Kate being a modern young woman. Casual is better than stiff, for Kate.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
The polka dot dress looks like it needs a slip beneath it, so it won't blow against her legs and look like a split skirt. Maybe she's too busy to buy a maternity slip...she has been busy lately. Maybe she does not have a "dresser" or other employee like we have seen for royals. Like Stephanie she may do her own dressing and sometimes it looks casual...but we like Kate being a modern young woman. Casual is better than stiff, for Kate.
Women still wear slips?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutterfly View Post
Women still wear slips?
No. (Well, some women of older generations might).

I do think weighted hemlines would be a good idea for her - it would give her one less thing to worry about when she's out and about.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Royal Highness

That´s true,with a shorter dress a weighted hemline would make sense & reduce her stress level because she does not need to be afraid that the wind blows up her dress,it is really sad that nowadays the people are that crazy about such pictures...I mean,it is funny if the skirt blows up a little bit,like the famous Marylin M. scene,but the paparazzi pictures go much further and obviously there seems to be an audience for such unflattering pictures...
. Helen Keller
Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutterfly View Post

Women still wear slips?
What is a slip? I thought it is the bottom underwear.
But i think you mean a kind of interior "skirt", made by a thin lining tissue and worn under the dress. This is a great idea, it solves fully the problem. Even if wind blows strongly and the skirt goes up you see only nice legs, but neither her "bottom back" nor her underwear.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well Kate discovered (as did the rest of us) on her honeymoon the risks of light material and lack of hem weights....you'd think she would of taken steps to make sure that didn't happen again.

LaRae
Exactly. We've actually seen Kate's bare, thong clad behind on two occasions when her skirt blew up...first on the Canada tour and the second time last September at an airport tarmac in the South Pacific in the wake of the uproar over the topless sunbathing photos. I am not sure Britons want a FOURTH look at the future Queens private parts, especially while she is pregnant. I am not sure why she doesn't learn her lesson over such an embarrassment.

I don't think the hem length on the polka-dot dress is the problem at all. The outfit is adorable on her. But she should definitely start weighting her hems.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Did the photos from the Brisbane airport actually show her bottom or whatever? I remember her skirt blowing up, but from the videos and photos I saw, I don't remember seeing her bottom or anything innappropriate. I just remember she caught it before it showed too much.

But yes, at some point she'll have to figure out a way to keep the floaty skirts from blowing up in windy weather.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes indeed. Her skirt blew up in Australia-again- clearly displaying her bare rear even though she reached back to try and get it under control.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Courtier

That happen in Australia? Which dress was that?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Instead of chewing on old soup, have a look at current events and see her first video address for hospice week.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Courtier

She didn't wear a yellow dress in Australia. I don't make clothes but putting weight on a lightweight material seems like it would destroy the outfits to me.

A lot of people have wardrobe malfunctions (wind blowing up the skirt/dress including Queen Elizabeth herself), it's just that some people seems to care more if it happen to one royal rather than the other.

Look at the various royals with wardrobe malfunction involving wind The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps
Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes indeed. Her skirt blew up in Australia-again- clearly displaying her bare rear even though she reached back to try and get it under control.
I've seen video and pictures and didn't see a bare rear end...but maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough.

Wardrobe malfunctions happen. As evidenced by the link that miche posted. A number of royals have even had multiple wardrobe malfunctions, so I'll cut Kate some slack. I'm sure just like the other royals, she'll figure out how to deal with various wardrobe issues.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

When did she go to Australia?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

The yellow dress was in Canada.

The fact is that in a rather short period of time, Catherine has had two wardrobe malfunctions owing to her wearing shorter dresses on windy days - a habit that she has continued, as we can see by the polka dot dress. Given as she knows that people are going to be taking a lot of pictures of her, at all angles, every time she goes on an official event, you would think that she would try to come up with something to prevent it. Weights is one idea, already (allegedly) used by the Queen.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion