The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People have commented in this forum (and others) how Wickstead sometimes misses a bit with seaming. For me, I often look at a Wickstead piece and think it's lovely except, what is that wonky bit on the waist (back, peplum, shoulder, etc.) seam? Having sewn for years, I would guess that the seaming method is not a perfect match for the fabric. That's just a guess.

I just think the DOC looks healthy and happy right now. With her smile, she could wear layered cheesecloth and I would probably be OK with it. It is her choice to make. :flowers:

Last edited:
The hat is awful and the shoes are not elegant.

The dress isn't bad itself but it didn't look good on her body, IMO. To acomodate her bump it needs extra cloth in the front but as she insists on wearing things that are not maternity the same extra cloth goes to the back. Some body types (large back) can acomodate that extra cloth up to some point but some others don't. Kate petite frame doesn't which means there is too much cloth on her back just "hanging" there. It looks even worse because her legs are skinny. It's just a very big piece of clothe on top of very skinny legs. There is no sense of proportion. This is pretty evident is this photo
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/22/article-2329138-19F0BFE9000005DC-884_634x997.jpg
If only I had legs like the Duchess of Cambridge!!! I won't call her legs skinny, rather very, very shapely!!! The foto you referred to is actually very beautiful!!

I reiterate my love for this hat. It is elegant and witty and a nice color and sits right on top of her head instead of hanging on the side. Bravo for the hat!

Compare these silly shoes with the flats worn by Princess Grace when she was pregnant (on another thread on this site, I think it is Princess Grace's jewelry.). Even if D of C continues to wear such shoes after pregnancy, she should quit now.
Her back vertebrae and her knees will thank her in later years. Her feet will thank her for preserving them to fight another day. But one has to say that Kate's neurological system is A-1 if she can balance the huge bump on these shoes. I would have fallen on my face wearing them at 7 months or more. I have some neurological damage (minor) however, so that might explain it. Kate is superwoman and supermom.

The fabric is not tapering in at the sides just as it should. If you put this coat in a clothes hanger, the fabric won't taper in. The back side of this coat is a straight piece of cloth without seams. The seams only exist in the front. This effect you see on the sides (back view) happen when the coat is dressed on Kate simply because her back is too "petite" to dress such a big amount of cloth

Yes, the coat was altered for her to make it maternity. But it was POORLY altered, IMO. The designer thought only about the front part and completely forgot about the back.

The amount of cloth that is completely unecessary is visible in the pic fairy_tale posted
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/22/article-2329138-19F04FD1000005DC-426_634x823.jpg

Sorry, but I disagree. A pregnant woman whose clothes are a bit bigger than her frame? Shocking!! :sarcasm:

Sorry, but I disagree. A pregnant woman whose clothes are a bit bigger than her frame? Shocking!! :sarcasm:

I don't think it's a bit bigger but a lot bigger. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I think Catherine looked great at the Garden Party. I love the hat. It adds to the look, in my opinion. The shade of the coat is lovely on her as well. I only wish I could pull it off. Overall, elegant, as always.

Catherine's dress is fine and her legs are very pretty. I really don't care for the style of hat that she wears. I'd love to see her in a wide brimmed hat rather than the ones that look like they are perched right on her forehead. I will not post a picture of myself during my three pregnancies as I never EVER looked as lovely as she does.

Catherine's dress is fine and her legs are very pretty. I really don't care for the style of hat that she wears. I'd love to see her in a wide brimmed hat rather than the ones that look like they are perched right on her forehead. I will not post a picture of myself during my three pregnancies as I never EVER looked as lovely as she does.

I find it so interesting to see how many differences there are with regard to her taste in hats. In general, I'm very fond of the styles of hats that she chooses - I rather like the lightness and femininity that they have about them, as they add a nice accent to her outfits and her style in general. Not that I dislike a nice wide-brimmed hat, I just like that she goes for something a bit different in that area of her style.

Not a big fan of the tiny hats perched on her head. Perhaps it's a style thing to offset the belly? That's not meant to be a sarcastic criticism ... just an honest question about style.
I think the hat is a delight, it's sort of retro, turn of the 19th century confection that begs for the accompanying intricate up do.

However, all in all, I think it looked great with her half up do showing her lovely earrings. While the coat was OK, it was very yellow! The length was also nice but as Katherine has a habit of holding her clutch under her stomach, it sort of frames the famous "bump" and hitches the front of her coat a little. But that was no big deal, and she looked absolutely glowing. relaxed and animated which, for only her second Garden Party, was pretty good going.

Last edited:
The hats she wears Re ridiculous and ugly, it looks like a bush growing out of hr forehead. I would prefer she go back to the fascinators as opposed to these nest hats. As for her legs they are amazing and not skinny all. Looks like her calves could could break a walnut thrown against them. If I was going to change anything about the dress I would make it empire style rather than the sack style.

Once again this thread had to be cleaned - please see the already posted mod messages on the previous pages of this thread!

Could she be wearing the garden party dress backward? I prefer the back to the front (seams).

That lemon colour looked good on Kate but I feel that the dress, like many others she wears, is way too short for a member of the Royal Family. I'd prefer her dresses to be no shorter than just below the knees, if she's going to have them short.

I think she should wear dresses at a length she likes her legs are fine. She is not wearing mini skirts as long as nothing shows she looks good to me anyway.

The lemon color is very fresh to the eye, perfect for the warm season (including her last peach color outfit).
I don't care for the coat, but I will always say that Catherine definately looks stunning in bright colors or in prints.
About the hat, she definately doesn't have the most stunning hats out there, but I always welcome hats on her because it gives her the finish look. But if I were to particulary say any favourite styled hats, I would definately choose the last Memorial Black Hat she wore last year in the balcony, so so so GROGEOUS!

This is one of her best pregnancy looks IMO. Elegant, classic and she wears it well.

Looking lovely, but a little too plain without a nice big diamond clasp for the coat. The hat sparkled in the Abbey!

HRH looked beautiful.

I thought Kate looked great. Some people will complain about the length. However, both Autumn and Zara who are similar in age to Kate had above the knee dresses on also. She is 31 .she isn't going to dress the same as the 87 year old queen.

Looking lovely, but a little too plain without a nice big diamond clasp for the coat. The hat sparkled in the Abbey!

I don't know; she wore the earrings, bracelet (both said to be gifts from Charles) and the engagement ring.

I'd have to see it but it is possible the diamond clasp would be too much.

All in all, a fantastic look and my favorite of her maternity wear.

She looks great! One of my favourite looks in her pregnancy style, love the nude colors, it makes her skin glow and her hair shine.

I don't find the dress too short this time, its just a bit above the knee, but looks great that way because it blends well with the coat which is longer.

I like her hat, as I liked it last year. But sometimes it makes me feel that butterflies are coming out of it, weird...

She looks lovely. The length of her dress and coat are nice on her. I would have loved to have seen a brooch, even a small one. But so glad to see some nice, bigger diamond jewels on her.

Really lovely the colours are gorgeous together and the length is very flattering I love the whole look.

I thought the DOCa got it just right: pretty and not grabbing the spotlight - which is the Queen's, today. :)

Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, looked lovely. The ensemble is simple and elegant.

Last edited:
She looks just perfect. She's one of the few people who can wear nude and not be washed out.

It's my favourite maternity choiceo of her so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom