The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for this latest wardrobe malfunction... sigh. I did not scour the tabloids for information on it. I'm curious. With the gust of wind, did the other women suffer similar wardrobe malfunctions? Might put things in a bit of perspective, either way.

The wind catches my skirt at least 2 or 3 times a day working in the city but it will never make a tabloid because I'm a nobody. Considering it was a blustery day and not a single woman in attendance had weight in their hems, I'm assuming the wind caught a few skirts and dresses.
My issue is 'wardrobe malfunction', really? I can start a new thread on TRF dedicated to nothing but royal woman having their skirts caught in a breeze. Everyone from Queen Elizabeth on down has had their skirts around their necks and knickers on display. It happens multiple times to every woman.
And if that photo from the wedding can be classified as a 'malfunction' then God help us all.

I like the dress and jacket. As I noticed before, with a low cost item you get low-cost finish and there is only a machined hem on this dress therefore even if she had listened to many of you, there was nowhere to put a hem-weight.

I would put that hat out of its misery and bury it!

The added problem is that it is maternity wear - loose fitting. It will make matters worse. Taking Gracie's ship analogy further - like a ship in full sail.

She has some important engagements pencilled in for June as well as the ship launch. MY guess is that she will have custom made items for those events.

And she has definitely blossomed since venturing into Hogwarts.

I don't see how the dress is too casual for this wedding. I saw another photo that showed a few of the female guests and they were dressed in similar outfits as Kate - jacket over a dress. So Kate was dressed appropriately for the wedding.

I'm one of the few that love the hat. I think it's fun.

Last edited:
It's got nothing to do with her being perfect (the call for weights), it's got to do with not flashing the world your personal bits. The cameras are almost always going to be on her.

LaRae

Sigh. We're back to the "she must weight her hems! At all times! Because heaven forbid she be less than perfect for a moment!"

Wind happens. Hem weights don't always work and those heavy enough to combat the wind would totally change the shape and fit of a light summer dress like that one.

It is not that big a deal when it happens and it seems bullying to me to constantly bring up any moment where it happens and insinuate she's doing it to be attention seeking.

Here Here!! It happens. It even happened to Diana once and that hem had the little weights in it too, but she was coming down the stairs of a helicopter and... Right angle for the wind and up went the skirt.

Give it a rest.

Admittedly I flunked anatomy and I'm sure you don't want the facts to confuse the issue but can you point out where Catherine's personal bits are in the photo?
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/801...e7e6535ec5/tumblr_mmqkwtkF5Y1ryoy9wo1_500.jpg

I wasn't talking about this specific incident...in the past we have seen things we should not see.

Either way, it's her job to be professional, to present a certain image ....yes even the Queen in the past has had wind cause a problem (or so I understand although not sure we've ever seen pics of the Queen's behind) it just seems to be recurring issue with Kate's clothing.

LaRae

Good post LucyLoo

Frankly its been talked about far more often than it has occurred.

Once said is, IMO, enough to get the point across.

Time to move on.

Can't say we didn't warn her! A longer dress with heavier material, like the sky blue one she wore at the museum, would not have blown up as much or as easily.

I was surprised she wore "cheap" day wear to a wedding that was formal enough for William to be wearing tails! Catherine is pregnant not sick and is scheduled to make a few more appearances before the birth. It is not a reasonable excuse to make no effort whatsoever!

She already knew the dress was too lightweight to withstand wind, she wore the dress and jacket only a week or so ago at a public engagement and the jacket numerous times over. Slapping an ugly hat on top does not make up for her lack of grooming. Yes she knew the camera's would be there, so did the bride and groom. They might have expected she would make and effort to look good for their big day. They were wrong.

Lack of grooming? Her hair was combed and her clothes were clean, so I'm not seeing any lack of grooming. I just don't understand the fuss about this outfit. I think it was appropriate and cute. She was dressed no differently than a number of other women that were in attendance.

I'm sure the bride and groom were more concerned with their nuptials and couldn't care less about what Kate wore.

Last edited:
Kate's skirts have blown up about 5-7x, you'd think she'd learn by now and change her behavior.

:previous: I have to admit that very fact is starting to make me look at her in a very different way! :ohmy:

Oh, DO give it a rest! She's heavily pregnant, and more the likely feeling overheated, so a light dress was probably ideal. As to the skirt blowing up, it'll continue to happen, even if she takes precautions ( it happens to the Queen, and her skirts are weighted down). I doubt highly she's doing this for attention.

:previous: I have to admit that very fact is starting to make me look at her in a very different way! :ohmy:

And that would be a shock. I've read your posts on Catherine and they are always negative no matter the event or occasion. Fair enough , we don't all have to like the same people but I also noticed your a big fan of Camilla, so instead of bashing on Kate why not worry about Camilla's single digit approval rating with the British public?

OK, now we've got people telling us we can't negatively comment, AGAIN. All you Kate worshipers need to cool your jets...I don't think this forum has been designated as an only-nice-things-about-Kate venue. If it has, please let me know.

Sometimes Kate looks great, sometimes she doesn't.

Last edited:
I was surprised she wore "cheap" day wear to a wedding that was formal enough for William to be wearing tails! Catherine is pregnant not sick and is scheduled to make a few more appearances before the birth. It is not a reasonable excuse to make no effort whatsoever!

She already knew the dress was too lightweight to withstand wind, she wore the dress and jacket only a week or so ago at a public engagement and the jacket numerous times over. Slapping an ugly hat on top does not make up for her lack of grooming. Yes she knew the camera's would be there, so did the bride and groom. They might have expected she would make and effort to look good for their big day. They were wrong.

Wow! No effort whatsoever? Harsh much?

William wasn't wearing tails, he was in a morning jacket, which is pretty standard for weddings in the UK. As another poster has stated, what Kate wore was similar to what other guests were wearing.

Lack of grooming? To what are you referring?

Kate's skirts have blown up about 5-7x, you'd think she'd learn by now and change her behavior.

And everyone else's have, too. The problem is that photogs consider this the "money shot," playing on the basest inclinations of nincompoops everywhere.

OK, now we've got people telling us we can't negatively comment, AGAIN. All you Kate worshipers need to cool your jets...I don't think this forum has been designated as an only-nice-things-about-Kate venue. If it has, please let me know.

It's not that people have negative comments, it's that some of us are complaining that some posters, in our opinion, are being unrealistic and unfair. In a lively discussion, one can expect to have push back when someone doesn't agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

We don't need another fundamental debate! Share your opinions about the Duchess of Cambridge's fashion choices and do so with a respectful attitude - towards the discussed person and towards each other - then everything is fine!

Well considering she now wears some type of shorts or something underneath her dresses, it seems she is changing her behavior since the Canadian airport visit.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/04/article-2011104-0CDD489F00000578-765_964x640.jpg

There's also another picture of her wearing shorts or something underneath a dress she wore to a polo match back in May, but I can't seem to find it.

The McQueen outfit she wore during the PEI visit, was made from heavy material and it still blew up. So I don't think it's a matter of wearing weights in her skirts. I mean, I've seen multiple wind blown photos from the Queen and she uses weights. In fact, I've seen many royals with multiple skirt mishaps, so it's not an easy thing to prevent. The only solutions I can think of, are to wear something underneath the dresses/skirts, or just wear nothing but pants or structured/form fitting skirts every time they are out and about.

What would really be nice, is if the paps and media would stop taking photos and publishing pictures of women having wardrobe malfunctions. It serves no other purpose than to embarrass and humiliate them.

Last edited:
If she's wearing shorts underneath her dresses then I withdraw any previous comments I've made concerning this issue - if she is wearing shorts then it means that she has learned from past mistakes. I think that's all we can ask.

And yes - it would be best if wardrobe malfunction pictures of anyone were no longer published (or even taken). It's disrespectful to the women and says something really negative about society as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate can continue to wear her flippy skirts, she just needs a straight slip when she does wear them. They don't blow up but let the dress blow up. I guess she doesn't know about slips. It would not have helped in this situation, as I don't know if they still make maternity slips and she probably wouldn't wear one anyway.

BTW, a Morning coat doesn't actually have tails, but it looks like it does from the front.

Thank you for your calm and reasoned post. Re your earlier post, you are of course correct, William was wearing a Morning Suit. However, that is still much dressier than a suit and dressier still than a tux and my opinion of Catherine's choice of ensemble still stands. I think William's tie cost more than her dress.

I suggested a slip a while back too. T
hose shorts were from the Canadian visit, not recent. It looked to be a heavier knit material, but it is also pleated.
I really would try all those things if it were me, slip, no pleats, heavy material, as I said, the sky blue dress she wore to the museum would have fit the bill and looked nicer than the polka dot which I also thought was a little cheap for a wedding.

I also wonder why that fabulous sky blue dress was not recycled for the wedding; fabulous for daytime formals and night as well.

I suggested a slip a while back too. T
hose shorts were from the Canadian visit, not recent. It looked to be a heavier knit material, but it is also pleated.
I really would try all those things if it were me, slip, no pleats, heavy material, as I said, the sky blue dress she wore to the museum would have fit the bill and looked nicer than the polka dot which I also thought was a little cheap for a wedding.

For goodness sake, perhaps it doesn't fit. She's pregnant. Everyday her body changes.

Have the people on this forum lost sight of the most important fact, she's pregnant for the first time.

Give the woman a break. What I see here is women giving another wOman a hard time for her rapidly changing body and not dressing correctly.

Don't question Catherine, just look at yourselves.

I don't care what anyone says- it is very hard to look good in the later stages of pregnancy!

I must have heard a hundred women declare: "I may be pregnant, but I am going to look good!"

They then discover that no matter what they do, they will be huge, ungainly, and rather uncomfortable. It's the same for everyone; you can try your best, but there's a limit on what you can do! This was even true for Princess Diana, who was a fashion icon for most of her public life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom