The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Women still wear slips?

What is a slip? I thought it is the bottom underwear.
But i think you mean a kind of interior "skirt", made by a thin lining tissue and worn under the dress. This is a great idea, it solves fully the problem. Even if wind blows strongly and the skirt goes up you see only nice legs, but neither her "bottom back" nor her underwear.

Well Kate discovered (as did the rest of us) on her honeymoon the risks of light material and lack of hem weights....you'd think she would of taken steps to make sure that didn't happen again.

LaRae

Exactly. We've actually seen Kate's bare, thong clad behind on two occasions when her skirt blew up...first on the Canada tour and the second time last September at an airport tarmac in the South Pacific in the wake of the uproar over the topless sunbathing photos. I am not sure Britons want a FOURTH look at the future Queens private parts, especially while she is pregnant. I am not sure why she doesn't learn her lesson over such an embarrassment. :ermm:

I don't think the hem length on the polka-dot dress is the problem at all. The outfit is adorable on her. But she should definitely start weighting her hems.

Last edited:
Did the photos from the Brisbane airport actually show her bottom or whatever? I remember her skirt blowing up, but from the videos and photos I saw, I don't remember seeing her bottom or anything innappropriate. I just remember she caught it before it showed too much.

But yes, at some point she'll have to figure out a way to keep the floaty skirts from blowing up in windy weather.

Yes indeed. Her skirt blew up in Australia-again- clearly displaying her bare rear even though she reached back to try and get it under control.

That happen in Australia? Which dress was that?

Instead of chewing on old soup, have a look at current events and see her first video address for hospice week.

She didn't wear a yellow dress in Australia. I don't make clothes but putting weight on a lightweight material seems like it would destroy the outfits to me.

A lot of people have wardrobe malfunctions (wind blowing up the skirt/dress including Queen Elizabeth herself), it's just that some people seems to care more if it happen to one royal rather than the other.

Look at the various royals with wardrobe malfunction involving wind The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Wardrobe Malfunctions and Mishaps

Yes indeed. Her skirt blew up in Australia-again- clearly displaying her bare rear even though she reached back to try and get it under control.

I've seen video and pictures and didn't see a bare rear end...but maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough.

Wardrobe malfunctions happen. As evidenced by the link that miche posted. A number of royals have even had multiple wardrobe malfunctions, so I'll cut Kate some slack. I'm sure just like the other royals, she'll figure out how to deal with various wardrobe issues.

Last edited:
When did she go to Australia?

The yellow dress was in Canada.

The fact is that in a rather short period of time, Catherine has had two wardrobe malfunctions owing to her wearing shorter dresses on windy days - a habit that she has continued, as we can see by the polka dot dress. Given as she knows that people are going to be taking a lot of pictures of her, at all angles, every time she goes on an official event, you would think that she would try to come up with something to prevent it. Weights is one idea, already (allegedly) used by the Queen.

As I said, chewing over old soup.

The yellow dress was knee length, how is that short? And all her dresses from her Asian tour were either knee length or below the knee

It was more the lightweight material and loose style that indicated weights in the hem would have been useful.

The yellow dress was in Canada.

The fact is that in a rather short period of time, Catherine has had two wardrobe malfunctions owing to her wearing shorter dresses on windy days - a habit that she has continued, as we can see by the polka dot dress. Given as she knows that people are going to be taking a lot of pictures of her, at all angles, every time she goes on an official event, you would think that she would try to come up with something to prevent it. Weights is one idea, already (allegedly) used by the Queen.

She certainly has a more hands-off mother than I do. My mother would be the first one on the phone with me to let me know what we could do to fix such wardrobe malfunctions. All in the most concerned and loving of tones of course. And then my sister would text. God, I need a drink now.

I must admit, I've seen more of the Duchess of Cambridge than I ever really cared to. And not all of that can be blamed on the misanthropic French press......:whistling:

Never mind the soup, perhaps a saucer of milk?

There was one photo of her bare rear showing in the wind, I believe in the yellow dress. When compared with the original, it was proven to be photoshopped. There are no authentic photos with Kate wearing a thong. I'm kinda wondering, though .... how heavy would those weights have to be not to be blown aloft by the wind, and yet not drag the skirt down so that it looks like it's clinging to the legs?

Last edited:
When did she go to Australia?

She and William had an hour or so layover in Australia, when they were on their way home from the South Pacific tour. She was getting off the plane when the wind blew and she had to grab her dress to keep it from blowing up. She later changed into jeans when they boarded the plane back to London.

Even HM is subject to the wind, During her visit to William at RAF Valley a couple of years ago HM revealed a pretty nice set of gams for an 80+ year old lady and her skirt length was certainly not short nor the material light. Weights do not always solve the problem of mother nature.

I would think some type of weight system would at least have prevented the dress from going as high as it did without clinging to the legs, even if it did get blown aloft to some degree. Naturally, no one could have predicted what would have happened at the airport.

Last edited:
There was one photo of her bare rear showing in the wind, I believe in the yellow dress. When compared with the original, it was proven to be photoshopped. There are no authentic photos with Kate wearing a thong. I'm kinda wondering, though .... how heavy would those weights have to be not to be blown aloft by the wind, and yet not drag the skirt down so that it looks like it's clinging to the legs?

I don't think the whole "blowing in the wind" thing is necessarily bad, just when it blows up. Even if she's not actually being exposed, she is having to fight with her skirts to prevent herself from being exposed. She's had a number of Marilyn Monroe moments, she just needs to find some way to defy the elements and keep her parts hidden.

Even HM is subject to the wind, During her visit to William at RAF Valley a couple of years ago HM revealed a pretty nice set of gams for an 80+ year old lady and her skirt length was certainly not short nor the material light. Weights do not always solve the problem of mother nature.

Please tell me gams means legs.

Catherine and the Queen aren't the only ones to have such issues - wasn't Prince Philip exposed on camera while wearing a kilt once? Although I believe then he was sitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Yep. It was last year at the Scotland Games. PP was sitting down (he wasn't wearing underwear) and the cameras caught quite the view.

As someone else said, weights may pull the dress down and warp the the fit. The type of material that the yellow dress and a few of her other flowy dresses are made of, just seems a little too delicate for weights. I think the queen benefits (from weights) because the material of her clothes are a little heavier.

My suggestion would be for Kate to wear a pair of yoga shorts. That way if the dress blows up, all you get is a view of shorts.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, he was. And Prince Henrik of Denmark was once photographed with his fly wide open.

None of this has anyting to do with maternity wear. Just saying ;)

Backtracking to the polka dot maternity dress, then, a couple of weights would have benefited the hem from flipping up in the wind.

But there was no hem............ :lol:

My suggestion would be for Kate to wear a pair of yoga shorts. That way if the dress blows up, all you get is a view of shorts.

Or a burqa which also solves the problem of too short skirts for those who feel young ladies with great legs should not show them in public.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the whole discussion came up because of the wind problems with the polka for dress.

Perhaps it might be better off moved to a thread regarding Catherine's more general fashion - or even it's own thread "Suggestions on how to prevent the Royal Bum from being exposed to camera."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom