The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved her outfit today, she looked so lovely. I think the jacket complimented the dress very well.

One thing that I dislike is the hard, heavy make-up she's wearing. Too much black eye-liner on her eyes, I know she likes it that way because she wears it like that many times, but a softer and lighter make-up would definately suit her better.

I don't think her eye makeup is too black/much. Using kohl on my eyes everyday, I can assure you that though she's wearing some, she's not wearing much (I'm not even sure she's using kohl, it could just be regular eyeliner/mascara). Catherine's eye makeup, in my opinion, is always done nice and appropriate - and I definitely understand if she's feeling comfortable using eyeliner for the most part, personally I feel "naked" without my own (rather heavy) eye makeup.

She looked very pretty today, absolutely radiant! pregnancy does wonders for her:)

The cute jacket saved the look. The cut of it left open was perfect for her. I adore polka dots, and the dress appears cute but very cheap looking, imo. Doesn't really fit her well to appear comfortable, a lot of gapping going on. And of course the length, same old.

I completely, completely agree. I adore polka dots too!

Look at the difference between Kate's polka dotted ensemble and JK Rowling's. Rowling's is a much more polished, professional look. I love it.

I'm sorry to say, but Kate's dress today belongs on a teenager.

I don't understand where some of the criticism is coming from, but thats the subjective differences in people's perspective. That's why I wish people would refer to specific photos when talking about issues.

For example, someone mentioned gapping in her outfit. But she was wearing a jacket, so I imagine there would be limited gapping even visible.

Also, to address another comment, of course the DoC's outfit looks younger than JK Rowling's; the DoC is MUCH younger than JK Rowling.

I completely, completely agree. I adore polka dots too!

Look at the difference between Kate's polka dotted ensemble and JK Rowling's. Rowling's is a much more polished, professional look. I love it.

I'm sorry to say, but Kate's dress today belongs on a teenager.

Well I dont agree. I think she looks just right for the occasion. This is what 30 something women wear in the UK - pregnant or not. I'm starting to think that people in the US are stuck somewhere in the 40's - that could be 1940's or just that age group - not sure.

Rowling's outfit is horrible - too fussy, too much going on. Now that is the 50's to my mind! :whistling:

Well I dont agree. I think she looks just right for the occasion. This is what 30 something women wear in the UK - pregnant or not. I'm starting to think that people in the US are stuck somewhere in the 40's - that could be 1940's or just that age group - not sure.

Rowling's outfit is horrible - too fussy, too much going on. Now that is the 50's to my mind! :whistling:

I like both their outfits for different reasons and think both were age appropriate. I'm 28 and I would wear Kate's dress in a heartbeat. It's a classic silhouette in a fun fabric and it worked for her.

But it didn't. :)
There is a saying "don't play with fire or you'll get burn". Today, she safely avoided it, but one day it might not be the case.:lol:

Archduchess Zelia said:
I don't think her eye makeup is too black/much. Using kohl on my eyes everyday, I can assure you that though she's wearing some, she's not wearing much (I'm not even sure she's using kohl, it could just be regular eyeliner/mascara). Catherine's eye makeup, in my opinion, is always done nice and appropriate - and I definitely understand if she's feeling comfortable using eyeliner for the most part, personally I feel "naked" without my own (rather heavy) eye makeup.
I didn't say it was ugly and unappropriate, I did say I dislike that heavy (or too much black) eye make-up on her, I think it suits Catherine a brighter and lighter eye make-up.

Here and the comment cesspool of the DM are the only places I hear whining about Kate's skirt length. Insert eye-rolling here.

Here and the comment cesspool of the DM are the only places I hear whining about Kate's skirt length. Insert eye-rolling here.
It shouldn't even come as a surprise. A bit of female leg remains scandalous for some.

Kate's got great legs, but I feel she just needs to lower that hemline a tad, still above the knee of course, but a little lower about 2 - 3 centimetres, then her dresses would totally take on that chic look that I think she is lacking, this is just my personal opinion though, but I still like what she has been wearing:flowers:

My reaction is pretty much the same. I'm in my 20s and am definitely dress relatively modestly for my age group, and yet Kate's skirt length never would've occurred to me as an issue. I noticed that many on here seem to mention it, and I thought perhaps it was a generational issue, so I mentioned it to my mother, but she too was quite surprised that people were bothered by it. I guess some people just have a strict hemline-to-age ratio that I'm not aware of (nor is Kate, it would seem).

There is a saying "don't play with fire or you'll get burn". Today, she safely avoided it, but one day it might not be the case.:lol:

I'll be sure to stay home tonight. I've avoided getting mugged in the past, but tonight that might not be the case. ;)

I love what she wore today. It was cute and looked very professional. This is definitely one of her better maternity outfits.

As for the length, it doesn't bother me at all. She's wearing what a lot of people in our age group are wearing.

The length doesn't bother me at all - it might be a bit short, but she has good legs and so long as she's not looking trashy I don't see why she shouldn't show them off. I don't think she's ever looked trashy in a shorter skirt or dress, but that's my opinion.

I do agree that she might want to start having weights added to the hem of her skirts. This isn't the first time wind has been an issue, and it won't be the last. The argument that her hemlines are too short will gain a lot of support if the royal panties (or royal behind) is exposed because of wind, and I'm of the opinion that wearing skirts that length without any weight in them makes a flashing a bit of an inevitability.

My reaction is pretty much the same. I'm in my 20s and am definitely dress relatively modestly for my age group, and yet Kate's skirt length never would've occurred to me as an issue. I noticed that many on here seem to mention it, and I thought perhaps it was a generational issue, so I mentioned it to my mother, but she too was quite surprised that people were bothered by it. I guess some people just have a strict hemline-to-age ratio that I'm not aware of (nor is Kate, it would seem).
I think for me (and probably many here) is not about being conservative, cultural diferences or a generational issue. I have no problem with dresses or skirts that are short or if a women as legs to pull that of, but for me it all depends on the type of clothes. Some clothes are more beautiful with knee lenght, others not. For example: Her latest tartan coat, it looks great that lenght but Catherine used it as a dress, I think it would look much nicer if it was longer. And this doesn't have to do with her legs, or conservatism or whatever, it has to do with the overall appearance and what makes it look better.
On the other side, I think her polka dot dress is cute and pretty with that lenght, a bit longer and it would've looked frumpy and old-school.

(I don't know if I'm explaining this well):ermm:

I have to agree and she needs to be careful with the floaty fabric. Still it is a cute dress for a fun engagement today.

LOL I've been thinking that we need a thread entitled "William and his favorite blue suit." :p

I think it's time he upgraded to favorite blue suit version 2.0, because the current one is a bit ill-fitting. Now, Catherine looked smashing! Love the dress and jacket combination. The woman's glowing.

Last edited:
I think for me (and probably many here) is not about being conservative, cultural diferences or a generational issue. I have no problem with dresses or skirts that are short or if a women as legs to pull that of, but for me it all depends on the type of clothes. Some clothes are more beautiful with knee lenght, others not. For example: Her latest tartan coat, it looks great that lenght but Catherine used it as a dress, I think it would look much nicer if it was longer. And this doesn't have to do with her legs, or conservatism or whatever, it has to do with the overall appearance and what makes it look better.
On the other side, I think her polka dot dress is cute and pretty with that lenght, a bit longer and it would've looked frumpy and old-school.

(I don't know if I'm explaining this well):ermm:

No, you make sense. :) Sometimes skirts or dresses fall at awkward lengths and would look better a bit longer or a a bit shorter. It just seems that whenever Kate wears something that's cut much above the knee, it gets several mentions on here as being "too short", often with references to her age or the fact that she's pregnant.

I think Ish kind of explained it the way I see it: basically, I don't think she wears anything that looks "trashy" or inappropriate, based on her body type (which I think is even more of an important factor than, etc.)

The length of her skirts does not bother me. It is perfectly appropriate to her age and body. Maybe, just for her rank she should lower it by 5-10 cm.
The polka dot was perfect on her, she is a young and fresh happy pregnant.
The polka was ridiculous on J. Rowland.

It doesn't matter what length her dress/skirt are, depending on the material. If there is a big gust, it will be lifted. As proven by that lady she meet when she wore her McQueen military coat (the blue one). That lady skirt was below her knee, and we still saw all her underwear because of the wind.

Where does it come from that the Queen weights her hemline? These photos tells me she doesn't http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC0/TT-KPLjmcKI/AAAAAAAABYo/20BVOZXp-z0/s640/Wind.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MC_9qPAgA...ticle-2129545-12940F97000005DC-48_306x956.jpg

It doesn't matter what length her dress/skirt are, depending on the material. If there is a big gust, it will be lifted. As proven by that lady she meet when she wore her McQueen military coat (the blue one). That lady skirt was below her knee, and we still saw all her underwear because of the wind.

Where does it come from that the Queen weights her hemline? These photos tells me she doesn't http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC0/TT-KPLjmcKI/AAAAAAAABYo/20BVOZXp-z0/s640/Wind.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MC_9qPAgA...ticle-2129545-12940F97000005DC-48_306x956.jpg

Angela Kelly's book Dressing the Queen described a lot of the inside secrets including the weighting of hems. I was well covered when the book came out.

:previous: I remember when there was talk of the Queen's hems being weighted many years back. But if they are/were, it took quite awhile before she or her dresser caught on that it was required. Two of the pictures that miche provided are from the mid-1960's, which means the Queen was in her very late 30's or early 40's ... and she was born into royalty and should've caught on a lot faster than Kate. So Kate has almost 10 years to catch up. :lol:

Well Kate discovered (as did the rest of us) on her honeymoon the risks of light material and lack of hem weights....you'd think she would of taken steps to make sure that didn't happen again.

LaRae

That wasn't her honeymoon, it was in Canada on a tour.
I don't like polka dots so the dress isn't my fav. I am going to ignore all these "it's too short" comments or I will end up pulling my hair out.

Last edited:
Small point - there was no hem on this dress - it was "rolled". What do you expect for c.£40?

Haha,well for £40 I find it still very beautiful and stylish, but of course the quality of the material and the craftmanship are very different from a properly tailored dress!
However,I like the look of the polka dot dress,it looks fresh and feminine to me.

The polka dot dress looks like it needs a slip beneath it, so it won't blow against her legs and look like a split skirt. Maybe she's too busy to buy a maternity slip...she has been busy lately. Maybe she does not have a "dresser" or other employee like we have seen for royals. Like Stephanie she may do her own dressing and sometimes it looks casual...but we like Kate being a modern young woman. Casual is better than stiff, for Kate.

The polka dot dress looks like it needs a slip beneath it, so it won't blow against her legs and look like a split skirt. Maybe she's too busy to buy a maternity slip...she has been busy lately. Maybe she does not have a "dresser" or other employee like we have seen for royals. Like Stephanie she may do her own dressing and sometimes it looks casual...but we like Kate being a modern young woman. Casual is better than stiff, for Kate.

Women still wear slips?

Women still wear slips?

No. (Well, some women of older generations might).

I do think weighted hemlines would be a good idea for her - it would give her one less thing to worry about when she's out and about.

That´s true,with a shorter dress a weighted hemline would make sense & reduce her stress level because she does not need to be afraid that the wind blows up her dress,it is really sad that nowadays the people are that crazy about such pictures...I mean,it is funny if the skirt blows up a little bit,like the famous Marylin M. scene,but the paparazzi pictures go much further and obviously there seems to be an audience for such unflattering pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom