The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Kate wants to show off her legs because she's losing her waistline and is capitalizing on showcasing a great feature of hers. The color is beautiful and her hat is adorably perky. And I must say that the Queen rocked her own outfit today; she looked marvelous!

Last edited:
She's losing her waistline? 5 months pregnant and she can fit into (guessing) size 10 topshop? Lucky.

Well, I did say losing - it's not completely lost yet!:D And she's quite thin that she's still wearing items that are regular wear but of a looser fit. Lucky indeed.

Last edited:
I think both coats are to die for. Yesterday she looked lovely but I'm one of those that thinks it's way TOO short. Today it was better. In any case, she looked great in both ocasions.

Lumutqueen, about the dress being too short because it wasn't meant to fit a pregnancy bump, that's no excuse. When it starts to happen to clothes, it's time to start to look for maternity clothes, I suppose.

Maybe she could call Victoria of Sweden up and borrow some of the sacks she wore when she was pregnant.

I think both looks are quite lovely on Catherine. The coats are elegant, and look great on her. She certainly has a figure for them.

I have trying to work out how come Catherine is wearing in 2013 a coat from a 2006 collection. easy. Mary gave it too her when Catherine and William went to Denmark. dress agency for royals!

I think The Duchess' fashion sourcing (however and whomever from wherever) is spectacular. I doubt Mary handed it down - but it would be no surprise if someone had noticed Mary's coat and how the cut and the vertical trim really made a great maternity look. :clap:

Last edited:
I liked the last two coats Catherine has worn however, I was faintly appalled at the fact that the collar on the white coat belonged to the dress worn beneath. Worse, it looked like a school uniform and, not being maternity wear, hitched up in the front.

Todays offering was a brilliant colour and her overall style seems to be greatly improving. The cut of the coat was flattering and her accessories very chic.

However, I am going to go out on a limb here and join the "but they were both too short" brigade. I know that Catherine is long in the leg, a fact emphasised by the showing of the photo of CP Mary wearing the very same coat, but on her it seemed at least two inches or more longer. And, strangely enough, she was not considered dowdy, Victorian nor wearing anything close to a burqa!

Catherine is in a position to wear clothing that both flatters and suits her. Her height nor her length of leg should not be an issue as she has even high street designers that would be more than willing to make "one off" variations to accommodate her height. That she does not is her choice and it is a choice that is not one a lot of people feel altogether comfortable with.

I guess we will see how things go when she moves into actual "maternity" wear.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with coat lengths it's not like she's naked underneath. :whistling:

Catherine is in a position to wear clothing that both flatters and suits her. Her height nor her length of leg should not be an issue as she has even high street designers that would be more than willing to make "one off" variations to accommodate her height. That she does not is her choice and it is a choice that is not one a lot of people feel altogether comfortable with.

I suppose the question is whether Kate is comfortable with her choices. If so, then that's the most important thing. :cool:

When Mary wore that coat, it was also above the knee :ermm:

Her bump is not huge, she can fit well in most (if not all) of her coats, if I was in her shoes I'd do the same thing, why buy when you have plenty of them to use? However, I'm getting very excited because I want to see her in actual maternity clothes, but for now she doesn't need to but eventually she will. (And probably sooner than we might think)

As for the scouts this Friday, I'm sure she will wear casual and comfortable clothes as she did previously in the same event.
And lately we've had a lot of Catherine, didn't we? I'm loving the last couple of weeks, I hope she continues this active in the following month.

Tomorrow I hope she turns up in one of Kim Kardashian's maternity wear. :ermm:

Actually Kate is now HUGE. She is so long waisted that her pregnancy expansion looks less like a "bump" than a general all-over expansion. She will probably have a large baby. Very large. It will indeed be fascinating to see what clothes she wears when she cannot wear the older coats at all without letting them hang open in front. I expect some nice shorter jackets paired with maternity skirts. Something like Diana wore, but less frou-frou. Diana's maternity clothes had too many ruffles and bows, things she would not have worn when she became more aware of her own style. But the jackets and maternity skirt idea has worked well for women for a long time and will be fine now. The real bump is just around the corner!

I think she look even more beautiful while pregnant.

"Huge" is a bit of an overstatement, IMO. Kate has definitely gained a bit of weight all over - to be expected with any pregnancy, but especially as she was quite thin to begin with, and also because of the illness she dealt with at the start of her pregnancy. I think she looks better than ever.

As she gets further into pregnancy, I too am curious to see what she will wear, but I don't think it'll be anything like what Diana wore. Maternity styles have changed tremendously in the past 30 years; there are so many more options now.

Kate is rather small chested, small hips, tiny bottom. The one female attribute she has in spades are long shapely legs. She is not wearing micro mini skirts, she is wearing above the knee skirts like a typical 30yr old woman.

As she gets further into pregnancy, I too am curious to see what she will wear, but I don't think it'll be anything like what Diana wore. Maternity styles have changed tremendously in the past 30 years; there are so many more options now.
I think so too, fashion changes tremendously and even though nowadays we've got the return of many older fashion, what Diana wore during her pregnancy days are a bit outdated, though I understand the point of a Jacket+Skirt.
For me, my favourite maternity style are dresses, but not too tight, a bit tight on the chest but fluid on the rest below. I hope now that Spring has come and hopefully the warm weather starts hitting London in April that Catherine starts wearing Spring dresses, I'm truly looking forward to it;)

s. She is not wearing micro mini skirts, she is wearing above the knee skirts like a typical 30yr old woman.

I disagree. Many of Kate's dresses and coats are far above the knee. Look at the outfit of Tuesday for example.
She sometimes wears dresses that, IMO, are too short, not to talk of coats that I would never wear without trousers or skirt beneath. You may call me oldfashioned or whatever you want... And no, I don't think hemlines like Tuesday's are what a typical 30 yeard old woman wear.
I give you two examples of hemlines that to me are apropriate and yet young, not granny-like:

Cressida: http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01550/Prince_Harry_and_m_1550914a.jpg

Kate: http://www.laineygossip.com/Content/images/articles/will kate 26jul12 01.jpg

These are both just above the knee. But they have nothing to do with this:
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/1125/katemiddletonduchesscam.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1125/katemiddletonduchesscam.jpg
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1125/katemiddletonduchesscam.jpg
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1125/katemiddletonduchesscam.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6821/dukeduchesscambridgevis.jpg

Sigh. And the Great Hemline Debate continues.

Let her wear what makes her comfortable. I've NEVER seen her look inappropriate at an engagement.

Everyone has their own personal taste, and that's fine, but can we stop with the attempts to make personal standards of modesty relevant to everyone else? Wear the hemlines that make YOU comfortable, everyone else will do the same.

Let her wear what makes her comfortable. I've NEVER seen her look inappropriate at an engagement.

Everyone has their own personal taste, and that's fine, but can we stop with the attempts to make personal standards of modesty relevant to everyone else? Wear the hemlines that make YOU comfortable, everyone else will do the same.

Could not agree more with you!!!

I disagree. Many of Kate's dresses and coats are far above the knee. Look at the outfit of Tuesday for example.
She sometimes wears dresses that, IMO, are too short, not to talk of coats that I would never wear without trousers or skirt beneath. You may call me oldfashioned or whatever you want... And no, I don't think hemlines like Tuesday's are what a typical 30 yeard old woman wear.
I give you two examples of hemlines that to me are apropriate and yet young, not granny-like:
Your way of thinking is not old-fashioned at all, we can't agree on everything, because we all have diferent taste, opinions and views on clothes.
I thought Catherine looked great recently, all clothes had a good length (maybe except for the pink coat, if it was a little bit inches longer it would've been wonderful), but I also respect your opinion, after all you must have your reasons to do so:flowers:

I thought she looked fabulous both days. Yes, the hemlines were short, but it worked - with the black tights it did not look eyebrow raising.

I think you're very right.

Someone else mentioned it before, but the hemline debate does remind me a bit of my days in school uniforms - the old must-reach-your-fingertips rule and, when I was in high school, there was some rule involving an index card and distance above your knee . . . I don't quite remember. (Though I must say I was often frustrated with such rules because, as a kid, I was very tall and very thin, and it was very difficult for me to find things that fit my waist and were long enough - even with clothes that were designed to be altered). Remembering the specificity of it all makes me realize how many different standards and expectations there are for these things. I know a lot of people mention age and such, but body type has a lot to do with it, too. I don't like the idea that just because someone has passed their 30th birthday, certain fashion rules kick in.

Aaah...in the good old days in Catholic school, we girls had to kneel on the floor in the hallway and if our hemlines didn't touch the floor, we were sent home with a note to lower those hems immediately. That was the female equivalent of being paddled with the aerodynamic board the nuns used for the boys' posterior when they misbehaved.

Last edited:

Yep, totally agree.

I like the outfit she wore yesterday. The color was really nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom