The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh I hate when people assume to tell a pregnant woman what shoes to wear. If she can wear high heels and are comfortable in them then more power to her. It's not like she is horseback riding while holding a martini.

I agree. Clearly she's accustomed to wearing high heels, and even a low heel can get stuck in a grate (heck, I've been known to stumble in flats). I've also noticed that there are some celebrities who have worn high heels throughout the duration of their pregnancies, without any apparent problems. I think it all depends what someone is comfortable in to begin with.

Sorry to upset some, wasn't my intent.

I just thought in some pics she looked like she was leaning forward while walking and attributed it to the baby bump & heels.

It was if her center of gravity was off.

Nothing more.

Wow! She looks terrific! First time i've been happy with both the hair, wonderfully "casual" updo, and real hat sitting right.
And, emerald earrings, that we can all see!
Coat fits nicely and flowers or shamrocks improve the slightly plain coat.

As far as heels, if one is used to them.. then no danger. But I can see Q Camilla's point, if it seems like the woman is having difficulty with her shifting center of gravity, lower heels would be better for those who rarely wear heels.
Boots would have looked better with this coat, especially those lower heeled ones she wore out of the hospital.

As far as recycling her pre-pregnancy clothes, that's over!! It's full steam ahead now.

People shouldn't get upset because others comment about the heel height; we all have our opinions on her fashion especially now that it's relevant to her pregnancy and Catherine is going to wear whatever she wants anyway.

Last edited:
I´ve never been pregnant myself but I wonder if it is usual to alter your clothes. I think I would buy some maternity clothes and hope to suit in my old clothes afterwards, or isn´t this realistic?

Many people wear their normal clothes till they no longer fit into instead of buying a full new wardrobe. I know many people who don't like maternity wear because of the cut under the bust in many of the outfits so they just but bigger sized normal clothes.

I don't mind Kate wearing her old clothes but personally I find it a shame for her to be altering them slightly as they aren't intended to be worn like that. It could be that she might not be thinking of wearing it post pregnancy.

Many people wear their normal clothes till they no longer fit into instead of buying a full new wardrobe. I know many people who don't like maternity wear because of the cut under the bust in many of the outfits so they just but bigger sized normal clothes.

I don't mind Kate wearing her old clothes but personally I find it a shame for her to be altering them slightly as they aren't intended to be worn like that. It could be that she might not be thinking of wearing it post pregnancy.

If she never wore the coat from Cheltenham again, I would be far from disappointed. I've never understood how Joseph could charge so much for so little quality.

Compare the coat last year to this. She is still in great shape - but look where the V neck hits last year and this. I give a lot of credit to whomever is helping with the alterations.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gp/163877291.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QZBVmNT9Hv8zcPlfkAznCc12HaPY4n%2b10uhJICO6hYZZ

and http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gp/14...PJZP69KCAepWBoDXa+86PZiexLKE3M6jNTDbKzhtG0twA

I think the difference in where the V neck hits it's not due to any alteration in the coat at all. It's simply because with no belly she can wrap the coat a lot and with belly she can't wrap the coat anymore so the V "goes down".

I think she looked very nice today. The green looks great with black and the coat is very beautiful. And unlike the Cheltenham coat, this one still fits her new body.

About the recycling of clothes: I think it's nice to make alterations in your pregnancy clothes so that they fit your pregnant body. I like a combination of both maternity clothes and some altered clothes. Coats can easily be altered to be bigger and then altered to be smaller again. Cheaper option and you can still wear that coat/dress/shirt that you like a lot. But when doing the alterations is important to keep in mind that the piece has to fit when altered and the seams are not showing. Just like you pay attention to these things when you're not pregnant, you must attention too when pregnant. And that's the problem with the rose coat and the buttons' problem. It gives a very bad look, IMO. As I said, I would never leave home like that.

I think Catherine is doing very well segueing into Maternity Wear without going from last month's slim and slinky to a full on smock! I love her choice of coats, dusky rose and chocolate and green and black, both flatter her and show a she's still a practical girl at heart.

I like both hats and think they suit her well but mostly I was interested in her intricate "casual" up do. I'm not sure I am a fan of that particular up do but I appreciate the thought and the time that went into it.

It's almost as if since being pregnant requires her to change her preferred style of dress she has decided to try a few other new things as well. Best of all, when the time comes for her first tiara event she will be so comfortable with an intricate up do that the addition of a tiara will be a snip!

I think she looks beautiful, that colour suits her complexion so well, and the headwear is lovely. She looks very healthy too, which is so nice to see.

People shouldn't get upset because others comment about the heel height; we all have our opinions on her fashion especially now that it's relevant to her pregnancy and Catherine is going to wear whatever she wants anyway.

I probably shouldn't have used the word hate in reference to my feelings. Being irked by the comment on the shoes goes back years; I was annoyed when people commented on Victoria Beckham's heel while she was pregnant. I just feel if a woman can wear the shoes, be comfortable then they should. The woman who is carrying the child would have its best interest at heart and know what they should and shouldn't do to remain safe.

Kate definitely looked amazing today.

:previous: I totally agree. She's merely stepping carefully off a step.

It's like snapping a pic of someone talking and it looks like their mouth is stretched out and misshapen.

I think it's perfectly fine for her to alter her clothes these 9 months her body goes through a major change. She can alter them back again, I'm sure she has access to some great tailors. I understand that she has no shortage of money, but she probably doesn't want to spend any on maternity clothes that she'll only wear for a few months, unless they're house clothes. At this stage in her life, she just wants to be comfortable.

Can she not afford a nice maternity coat??? She could walk into Mothercare and buy a nice one for very little money. I admire recycling clothing, but can't get into something as sloppy as that coat's alteration...no matter what she's going to do with the coat after the baby is born.

Can she not afford a nice maternity coat??? She could walk into Mothercare and buy a nice one for very little money. I admire recycling clothing, but can't get into something as sloppy as that coat's alteration...no matter what she's going to do with the coat after the baby is born.

Perhaps she simply believes in the saying "It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you have."

I doubt very much that Kate would subscribe to your quote. I know I wouldn't!

Maybe she likes the coat and wants to wear it during her pregnancy. Why buy a new coat, when an old one works just fine?

Plus, there are only a few more months of coat wearing weather left, so she really wouldn't get much use out of a new maternity coat.

Last edited:
Actually think the coat looks better this year than last - as it seems to fit her better.

I thought last year that the coat dress wrap neckline gapped abit on Kate - and much prefer this year.

It was a very cold day and the black polo work really well. Also i adore this little hat on Kate - nice to see her hair in an updo but it does as one poster mention very bulky in side shots.

Actually think the coat looks better this year than last - as it seems to fit her better.

I thought last year that the coat dress wrap neckline gapped abit on Kate - and much prefer this year.

It was a very cold day and the black polo work really well. Also i adore this little hat on Kate - nice to see her hair in an updo but it does as one poster mention very bulky in side shots.

Yes, I think the coat looks better this year too. Last year it overwhelmed her somewhat but it works perfect for a maternity coat. I liked her look on St. Patrick's Day. My only complaint is her messy updo but at least she finally wore it some way other than down & curly so I can't complain too much :)

I agree about the coat looking better this year - yesterday, I was browsing from some pictures of Kate at events in the past couple of years, and was surprised by how unremarkable the coat seemed at last year's event (I wouldn't have even noticed it was a repeat had someone not pointed it out), and yet I quite like it now. What a difference better accessories and a bit of a fuller figure make!

I liked the hat/updo to begin with, but I like it even more now that I've seen more pictures of it. I'm not one who minds that she wears her hair down so much of the time, but such a lovely updo does make for a nice change.

Isnt today's hair straight? It seems like it, but the strong wind makes the hair a bit wavy at the bottom.

The coat is simple and pretty but boring. Overall she looked great, nice earrings!

I really like this outfit - especially the sleekness of the monochrome combined with the sweetness of the Peter Pan collar. And I like that her hair is quite straight; it works well with the simplicity of the outfit.

I like this look. It's very cute.

Love today's outfit! So elegant and stylish!

I like the coat but not what it was combined with. And I'll second Lumutqueen 'Hate the hair as usual'!

I just don't know how anyone can 'hate' that hair. It's a lovely colour and also clean and shiny, with a healthy bounce to it. What's not to like? It would be a travesty for her to wear it up all the time.

Today's outfit is more youthful than Sunday's. It's certainly an outfit that I and my friends would wear. She looks fab, although I expect the usual moaning about Kate not wearing her hem at the same length as the 86 year old Queen. Both the dress and the coat have now sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom