The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to sound like I am being defensive but Catherine was pregnant slightly later in the year with Prince George, so the coats she was wearing when larger would have been lighter coats. :flowers:

Not to sound like I am being defensive but Catherine was pregnant slightly later in the year with Prince George, so the coats she was wearing when larger would have been lighter coats. :flowers:

I agree. :flowers: It's also colder this time in the UK, not so? Anyway, when pregnant, whatever makes the lady happy, is my mantra. (If one can afford it, and they can, so why not?)

Last edited:
I agree. Plus it seems like her pregnancy style has changed. Less boxy, short coats this time. I'm all for that :p

I'm loving this coat. It looks really good on her.

I don't think it's a big deal that she wearing a new coat. It's not like she can't afford new clothes. Plus, just because it's new to us, doesn't mean it's new to her. She could have had this in her closet from when she was pregnant with George.

Kate recycles quite a bit. In fact, she's been criticized for repeating too much. I posted before that more than half the clothes she wore on the Australia/New Zealand trip were repeats or have been worn since the trip. I'm sure this coat will get plenty of use too.

Last edited:

That's a fair point, but there are coats from this pregnancy that could surely be used again.

And I think the grey hairs are peeping back through, too! She looked great today.

I agree. :flowers: It's also colder this time in the UK, not so? Anyway, when pregnant, whatever makes the lady happy, is my mantra. (If one can afford it, and they can, so why not!)

It is freezing down here on the coast, so warm coats are needed right now

Love the coat and look.

Last edited by a moderator:
The white coat is nice but I think would've been nicer left open. The dress underneath is cute and ideal for an expecting mother, moreover its a nice loose/comfy fit.

I do think that Kate looked good on her today - cream is a colour that suits her well. Wasnt so fussed on the dress underneath - you could tell it wasnt great fitting for a nearly 7month pregnant person - cause it wasnt designed for that.

She did have a coat from her first pregnancy - the Mulberry coat worn to the scout parade. It was expensive and it hasnt been seen since. Agree that she has quite a few pregnancies coats from this time round so maybe it would have been better to get more wear from there. Lets see what she has on next week

The scout parade at Windsor was on Apr 21, 2013. The weather was sunny with a high of 58 F. The high in Portsmouth today was in the low 40s F with cloudy skies. The Mulberry coat may not have worked for today's weather. She is off a season from George's where it was spring at this point but baby 2 is winter at 7 months.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The coat is beautiful! I love the simple and elegant style and the color. I also love the blue shoes and clutch. She looks lovely.

Generally I don't like creamy and white outfits.

But it suits Kate, mainly because of her body type and hair colour.

I have a question about the coat. Just below Catherine's bust line, there are two thread marks which appear to be for hidden buttons that are used to keep the coat closed. I thought with good tailoring, you weren't supposed to see the hidden buttons. For example, on a man's double breasted suit jacket, you don't see where the button is that holds the under fabric in place. So, is this just the manufacturer is too lazy or cheap to do it properly or is this another one of those weird fashion trends like zippers on the outside of garments?

Having now seen the video footage of today's events, I think Catherine looks very elegant in both the white coat and the dress underneath - the dress had nice lines and was very chic. I would have loved to see the whole outfit with the coat open as the contrast in colours was nice too.
Lady Marlboro, I suspect that the coat detailing was indeed one of those odd fashion trends, (perhaps the next trend fashion designers will go for is for laundry label to be sewn on the outside!) but it didn't detract from the over all look.

The dress is lovely! I love the print.

Having now seen the video footage of today's events, I think Catherine looks very elegant in both the white coat and the dress underneath - the dress had nice lines and was very chic. I would have loved to see the whole outfit with the coat open as the contrast in colours was nice too.
Lady Marlboro, I suspect that the coat detailing was indeed one of those odd fashion trends, (perhaps the next trend fashion designers will go for is for laundry label to be sewn on the outside!) but it didn't detract from the over all look.

It might not detract for some people but it stuck out like two headlights to me. It was the first thing I noticed. I guess I just don't understand some of today's trends.

I like the coat and the dress. Catherine looks elegant and comfortable. She gets bonus points for those heels too. I know I won't have been able to tolerate them in any situation, let alone while heavily pregnant.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I love the dress she wore today. Loved the cut. Cute print. One of her better maternity choices if not the best. The coat was nice. Would have looked better had she left it open to show off the dress/contrast. It's also nice to see the appropriate length on her. Not too short like in the past, and not too long to be matronly.

Last edited:
She looked wonderful. Love the tiny bit of weight which shows the dimples.mthe hair is way too orange for my taste. The coat is gorgeous, agree that however another could have been recycled. She still loos very small for a second time mother

The white coat is nice but I think would've been nicer left open. The dress underneath is cute and ideal for an expecting mother, moreover its a nice loose/comfy fit.

I have a question about the coat. Just below Catherine's bust line, there are two thread marks which appear to be for hidden buttons that are used to keep the coat closed. I thought with good tailoring, you weren't supposed to see the hidden buttons. For example, on a man's double breasted suit jacket, you don't see where the button is that holds the under fabric in place. So, is this just the manufacturer is too lazy or cheap to do it properly or is this another one of those weird fashion trends like zippers on the outside of garments?

It might not detract for some people but it stuck out like two headlights to me. It was the first thing I noticed. I guess I just don't understand some of today's trends.
I think the coat was actually for warmth over a light dress. Wearing coats undone is a bit counter-productive in winter.

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&r...vDChRWxkggdeoy1OQ&sig2=TIiAMVHGSWLzkOy7IKiCbQ

As to the marks, I think they are actually pulls where the double breasted buttons are on the inside, as shown by both Catherine and Eugenie. Probably a new "trend" as Jack suggested!

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9qMPkXCcAEHS7F.jpg

And this has to be my pet hate of Catherine wearing a larger size ordinary coat rather than maternity coat. It hitches up in the front and just plain looks odd!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/12/259A610100000578-2950671-image-m-21_1423744688479.jpg

http://fashion.hellomagazine.com/im...at-portsmouth/0-23-285/kate-middleton2--a.jpg

She did have a coat from her first pregnancy - the Mulberry coat worn to the scout parade. It was expensive and it hasnt been seen since. Agree that she has quite a few pregnancies coats from this time round so maybe it would have been better to get more wear from there. Lets see what she has on next week

A lot of those coats, including the green Mulberry one for the scouts parade at Windsor, were for much warmer weather. It is very cold in the UK, and you need a proper winter coat at the moment. Most coats from the first pregnancy would be unsuitable.

The summer she had George was hot... The clothes from her last trimester were pretty lightweight. Perhaps her pink Alex McQ coat from trooping the color in 2013 could be her Easter coat this year ....I expect that will be her last appearance

William and Kate have never done Easter with the Queen at Windsor. Last year they were in Australia, the year before privately in Wales, earlier time at Buckleberry.

St Patrick's Day with the Irish Guards may be a better bet for last public appearance.

St Patrick's Day with the Irish Guards may be a better bet for last public appearance.

So I presume we should expect yet another maternity coat in green for St Patricks's Day. That said, I hope she uses her crème coat from yesterday, with a green hat.

So I presume we should expect yet another maternity coat in green for St Patricks's Day. That said, I hope she uses her crème coat from yesterday, with a green hat.

I think the white/cream coat yesterday with the corsage of shamrocks would look stunning for St Patrick's Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom