The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to agree, beautiful pieces separate but not together.

The red coat was not appropriate for the event. Or with the dress. I would love to see it come out again, the color is great on her and love the neckline. But it didn't fit the formal event. If she wore red to match the men, red accessories would have been more appropriate. The men have red detailing on an otherwise dark outfit, so they don't jump out. Besides, the men's outfits are the royal uniform for Windsor.

The dress is quite lovely. I wish we had seen more of it, maybe just the shall with the dress. I hope we see it again and get a better look.

Have to agree the updo was a bit matronly with the outfit.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The red coat was not appropriate for the event. Or with the dress. I would love to see it come out again, the color is great on her and love the neckline. But it didn't fit the formal event. If she wore red to match the men, red accessories would have been more appropriate. The men have red detailing on an otherwise dark outfit, so they don't jump out. Besides, the men's outfits are the royal uniform for Windsor.
Precisely!

Old 05-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Gentry

Not my favourite outfit but the red is a spectacular colour on Kate. With Cams in white and QE in blue, Kate in red makes sense. British flag nicely represented by the three most senior ladies
Old 05-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrobug View Post
Not my favourite outfit but the red is a spectacular colour on Kate. With Cams in white and QE in blue, Kate in red makes sense. British flag nicely represented by the three most senior ladies
Nice catch!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrobug View Post
I agree Macrobug. The ladies all looked lovely in those colors found in the Union Jack and as others pointed out it coordinates with the Windsor jackets worn by the men in the family.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I too, think the outfit a fail. The pieces are good, but the sum... As she is just there out of love, it's fine, because it really is all about the Queen.

But I refuse to kvetch about the hair. In general people whine about it being worn down. Now in the evening, she wears it up and there are complaints. Nits IMHO!
My reservations about the updo were that while it is beautiful it was also an intricate updo that one would expect to see with a tiara, and a gorgeous evening gown rather that what everyone else was wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Surely if Kate comprehended that it really is all about the Queen, she wouldn't have worn that attention-seeking red coat.
We can only speculate as to her reasoning.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:31 AM
Aristocracy

Macrobug, that was my thought too, when I saw a long shot -- the Queen in the center with blue, Camilla on her right in white, and Catherine on her left in red. I also considered the possiblity that Camilla didn't want both of them wearing white...:)
Old 05-16-2016, 01:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Macrobug, that was my thought too, when I saw a long shot -- the Queen in the center with blue, Camilla on her right in white, and Catherine on her left in red. I also considered the possiblity that Camilla didn't want both of them wearing white...:)
If Kate went red and white why not add blue.

I doubt Camilla is to blame for Catherine's chose of clothes.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...3343111175.jpg

I agree with others, a very strange look. The jacket looks a few sizes too big.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Was the weather unexpectedly chilly? This almost seems like she didn't expect to need to wear a coat and just grabbed one last minute
Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Was the weather unexpectedly chilly? This almost seems like she didn't expect to need to wear a coat and just grabbed one last minute

Yes the temperatures have been very chilly in the evenings in the last few days. I think your explanation is probably the most likely scenario. The Queen and Camilla seem to have solved this dilemma more successfully. Incidentally the Queen's outfit is described as "sea green" , so the red, white and blue theory , although a nice idea, doesn't hold.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-16-2016, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

The lady sitting between Charles and Andrew is wearing red.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cij13h3WwAAgMJh.jpg

I'm not a fashion expert, but looking at the front row, Camilla and The Queen stand out just as much as Catherine. Only the Landgrave's wife is wearing black. I think they all look lovely.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The lady sitting between Charles and Andrew is wearing red.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cij13h3WwAAgMJh.jpg

I'm not a fashion expert, but looking at the front row, Camilla and The Queen stand out just as much as Catherine. Only the Langrave's wife is wearing black. I think they all look lovely.
I suppose it's possible that it's a colour-perception thing, but to me, and, I think, to the majority of people, that vibrant red Kate's wearing is an attention-seeking colour that screams "Look At Me, I'm powerful and important and/or hoping to turn you on", whereas the white of Camilla's dress and turquoise of HM's never could.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know about the 'majority of people'. It's the usual people.

The lady next to Charles is wearing red, and for me the white of Camilla's dress stands out against the black more the Catherine's red.

Catherine can wear any colour and she stands out. She's the most photographed member of the family. The focus is always on her
Old 05-16-2016, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Personally I can't put too much stock in Catherine's choice to wear red - analysing all the possibilities is just speculative and time-consuming.

As for the jacket itself, I would have preferred an elegant cape or wrap!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don't know about the 'majority of people'. It's the usual people.

The lady next to Charles is wearing red, and for me the white of Camilla's dress stands out against the black more the Catherine's red.

Catherine can wear any colour and she stands out. She's the most photographed member of the family. The focus is always on her
Whoa! This really has nothing to do with Kate. This is not an attack on her or her choices. However, since she studied art history for four years, I sincerely hope that she would have picked up some knowledge of the impact of that bright blood red colour on the human psyche and emotions. I suppose it's possible she has that red/green colour blindness though and doesn't perceive it the same way other people do.

Bright red is the colour of lust, power, dominance, danger, and numerous other responses in humans and other animals, and this is the reason politicians wear red ties. Google it.

If she did choose to wear it so she would stand out, it was poor form on her part to do that at her husband's grandmother's 90th birthday celebrations when Elizabeth should be the focal point.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:32 AM
Heir Apparent

That outift was a total miss. Even the so called fashion blogs claimed it. The swing jacket was lovely but that dress was awful, and paired with the red jacket it was too much.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The dress itself looks very nice so is the jacket but together it didn't work. The dress is too dressy for such a daytime/plain jacket. Something like a wrap would've been so much nicer.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Whoa! This really has nothing to do with Kate. This is not an attack on her or her choices. However, since she studied art history for four years, I sincerely hope that she would have picked up some knowledge of the impact of that bright blood red colour on the human psyche and emotions. I suppose it's possible she has that red/green colour blindness though and doesn't perceive it the same way other people do.

Bright red is the colour of lust, power, dominance, danger, and numerous other responses in humans and other animals, and this is the reason politicians wear red ties. Google it.

If she did choose to wear it so she would stand out, it was poor form on her part to do that at her husband's grandmother's 90th birthday celebrations when Elizabeth should be the focal point.
And what message was Camilla trying to convey in white...?

Again, Kate doesn't have to wear certain colours to stand out. Everywhere she goes, the press follows. She was two seats away from the Queen.

I'm wearing a red wind breaker today, not because I'm trying to convey coded messages of lust, power and domination, but because I like the colour.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton wears £49.99 Zara blazer to Queen Elizabeth II's birthday show | Daily Mail Online

Tags
the duchess of cambridge, the duchess of cambridge eveningwear