The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 5: October 2013 - October 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like it. No particular reason why I just get no "ooo" feeling.

I LOVE that Catherine has her hair up of course.

Its an "ok" dress. I don't like the lace on the waist, remind me of an apron. Otherwise she looks great with her hair pulled up. I like how she kept everything simple.

Although I like seeing Kate wearing her hair up, I'm not too keen on this style, although I haven't seen a picture of the back view yet. I can't quite put my finger on why I'm not liking it. Also Kate's eye makeup is particularly heavy - First time I feel there's evidence of the tour taking its toll. As for the dress, I quite like it, but I was expecting something special for this final reception. The accessories aren't helping either - a more delicate touch would have helped the overall impression.

The dress is okay but the heavy eyeliner and the black accessories are too serious for such a soft lace look.

I think Kate looks elegant, although she appears to be very tired.

The dress is ok...I think they should of stopped with the lace on the sleeve and left the waist plain. The shape looks very good on her as does the color. She and William look striking together in that combo.

LaRae

I like the dress, although it may be better without the lace at the waistline. I love the hair and jewelry.

I like the colour and the shape but I don't like the lace sleeves - too heavy and I think I would have preferred a lighter lace.

Kate's hair is lovely but as others have said the eye make up is too heavy for the outfit and makes her look very tired (which I am sure she is after the last couple of weeks) but a lighter touch may have worked better.

I do not like the sleeves been so cut-in to the shoulder, make her looks masculine.

Also if she wanted to use heavy eye-liner, her lipstick colour needs to be brighter. Now her face looks a bit hard.

Last edited:
If she put on a little weight she wouldn't look so masculine, although I don't think that is the right word. She would look better with softer edges. She has no hips being so thin so sometimes that makes her shoulders look broader.

LaRae

Although I like seeing Kate wearing her hair up, I'm not too keen on this style, although I haven't seen a picture of the back view yet. I can't quite put my finger on why I'm not liking it. Also Kate's eye makeup is particularly heavy - First time I feel there's evidence of the tour taking its toll. As for the dress, I quite like it, but I was expecting something special for this final reception. The accessories aren't helping either - a more delicate touch would have helped the overall impression.

This Daily Mail article has a picture of Catherine's hair from the back. I think her hair looks good, and I like the bracelet.

Kate dazzles in white on the Duke and Duchess's first night out in Australia | Mail Online

Thumbs up on the hair, and the jewelry. I have to say they both look like they've had enough.
The dress is a flattering cut but I don't like the sleeves. :ermm:

Love the chignon, but too much lace at the sleeves and the waist; the lace peplum looks like a cobwebbed apron. I like the smoky look of the eye makeup, but it could have been applied lighter and a brighter lipstick would have looked better. The jewelry is beautiful, but doesn't Kate own a dressy watch? The Cartier she normally wears is too sporty for the evening, albeit quite expensive I'm sure.

Last edited:
Yes a brighter lipstick would have helped. Thank you for the link to the back/side view of the hair. I still feel there are better up dos for Kate and I actually think the other views show it is not as neat a style as it should be with lots of pins showing- I think her hairdresser must be tired too.
What do others think about the shoes and clutch bag, because I think these are really poor choices.

Yes a brighter lipstick would have helped. Thank you for the link to the back/side view of the hair. I still feel there are better up dos for Kate and I actually think the other views show it is not as neat a style as it should be with lots of pins showing- I think her hairdresser must be tired too.
What do others think about the shoes and clutch bag, because I think these are really poor choices.
Now that you point it out, a lot of pins are showing but it probably wasn't evident in person. In fairness, Catherine is the mother of a baby. Yes, I know, she has staff, but she only has so much time. Getting my hair right can take forever, so sometimes you have to compromise.

Regarding the bag and shoes, I think they worked because they provided a contrast to the white. She wouldn't have needed the contrast if she had gone with a brighter lipstick.

I haven't said anything about the eye makeup because I am not really a fan of the smoky eye look. I've seen very few people who can pull it off.

I think my previous guess of Catherine do not like to use hairspray on her hair thus she prefer to leave her hair down is true. From this 'messy' chignon, can see that not a lot of hairspray has been used to keep the hair in.

I noticed the hairpins as well, but that photo was an extreme closeup and I don't think it would have been obvious to a bystander. The black accessories do offer a good contrast with the white, but maybe something a little more dazzling for evening would have been more dressy. A bright lipstick would have added some color to her face and with the dress as well.

Last edited:
I love the dress. Possibly the only thing I would change is the apron effect at the waist, but I really like the dress as it is.
I even like the lace even if it does look like spiderwebs.

Last edited:
Like others, I'm not a fan of the lace sleeves. Otherwise, the dress is OK.

No not a afan of this look I really don't like the lacey or otherwise on anyone but it does nothing for her IMO I love the earrings though and the bag is Mulberry by the looks .. total envy

Sorry, I don't get the slamming of other royal women to obfuscate the subject at hand, namely Catherine's Eveningwear and what posters think about it. That is what this thread is for and, if you don't like what people are saying then respond with an on topic evaluation or rebuttal of your own.

Denigrating people like HGD Stephanie, Princess Anne and the Duchess of Cornwall in an attempt to derail the discussion is merely muddying the waters and causing discord.

I think the people who do this already know that, and find some pleasure in being catty about others.

Personally, I think had she merely worn her hair behind her shoulders (as some others have said), it would have shown off the jewels (and she should pay some attention to her posture, I'm guessing most of us do). In her case, standing tall and finding out what she does want to do with her hands, if not carry an evening bag - which I agree is an excellent prop and provides contrast and an extra styling that Kate seems to abjure - is an important thing for her to figure out. Since she's constantly photographed and has so many still pictures, she'd do well to figure out the hands thing (and while I have always defended her long hair, I have to agree that in these pictures it does start to seem like a "curtain of hair" and that she's hiding back there somewhere).

Which is okay, if that's how she wants to come off and be seen, but not okay if she's hoping for a different appearance.

I couldn't look at that dress for long, at first, and now I'm thinking it's because the shoulders make her look like a running back, there's something sort of military about the silhouette and it's the shoulders of the dress that are bothering me, too much attention drawn to them by the design.

I do like her hair up in this dress, but the eye make-up is still awfully strong for the overall look. If the dress had been simpler, though, I think hair and make-up would have been a bit more in balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
PrincessKaimi at #326 mentions the Duchess's hands: I have wished for some time that the dear Duchess would find a more graceful placement for hands and handbags than the "figleaf position" which seems to me to look tense and a bit awkward...

This look does nothing for her. The dress doesn't give her shape or definition and that hairstyle... An updo is always great but that's a little too old.

If she put on a little weight she wouldn't look so masculine, although I don't think that is the right word. She would look better with softer edges. She has no hips being so thin so sometimes that makes her shoulders look broader.

LaRae
I agree. And the broad shoulders seem even more broader lately. Maybe because she lost weight but some of her fashion choices don't help. That was the major problem with the pink McQueen and with this dress. Also her posture and the hands in front don't help.

The dress is OK but the lace at the waist is too big. I like the choice of black for accessories but at least the clutch should have been less casual.

I love her updo.

just speechless :bang:

Catherine puts her up , people complain. She wears her here down they complain. I hope she always wear her hair how she see fit.She has beautiful stunning hair that people would kill for. I love her hair up or down , and hope whatever way she wears it,she is please with it.

LaRae

She does not look masculine .She looks healthy and fit. She does not need to put any weight on, she is fine the way she is. We need stop criticizing women about there weight wether they are skinny or fat.Although now a days we seem to be reluctant to critique someone who is overweight which is good but is quick to trash a thin women . The Duchess looked beautiful .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom