The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 5: October 2013 - October 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kate looked very nice in that red dress.

I must say I am now quite bewildered as to the protocol regarding carrying purses. This night when she is in fact one of the hostesses, Kate carries a purse, whereas when she attended that art gallery do as a guest the other night wearing the midnight blue evening dress she didn't carry a purse and to me that made her look a) unfinished because I would have expected a guest to carry an evening purse both as an attractive accessory and a useful thing, and b) like one of the organisers rather than a guest. Yet tonight Helen Mirren doesn't seem to have a purse with her and Kate has one. Perhaps Kate carried a purse because HM had one.

I like consistency, and not having being able to discern an obvious answer to these important questions can get me quite flustered! :D

I think Kate looked very nice in that red dress.

I must say I am now quite bewildered as to the protocol regarding carrying purses. This night when she is in fact one of the hostesses, Kate carries a purse, whereas when she attended that art gallery do as a guest the other night wearing the midnight blue evening dress she didn't carry a purse and to me that made her look a) unfinished because I would have expected a guest to carry an evening purse both as an attractive accessory and a useful thing, and b) like one of the organisers rather than a guest. Yet tonight Helen Mirren doesn't seem to have a purse with her and Kate has one. Perhaps Kate carried a purse because HM had one.

I like consistency, and not having being able to discern an obvious answer to these important questions can get me quite flustered! :D

Bad news, I'm afraid - there is no protocol. :lol:

I'm on the same page as you, Roslyn. It doesn't make sense to my very orderly mind that Kate didn't wear a purse to an evening event where she was a guest and a purse would have been an integral accessory to a formal look, but wore one as a hostess at BP. Gah! I hope this doesn't keep me awake counting clutches and pondering this condundrum tonight. :D

And Kate looks lovely in red; brunettes always rock jewel tones so well.

Last edited:
Loved it the First time, Love it even more now. Much better without the hat. Could use A fellow in RAF uniform .:lol: Of all three celebrities that are pictured in the article wearing that dress, Catherine is the most elegant.
A little off topiic, but I have to say I love what her Majesty's wearing as well.

About the handbag...

If you are going to be shaking hands and drinking champagne, you carry no bag. Shaking hands only- carry a bag.

I'm on the same page as you, Roslyn. It doesn't make sense to my very orderly mind that Kate didn't wear a purse to an evening event where she was a guest and a purse would have been an integral accessory to a formal look, but wore one as a hostess at BP. Gah! I hope this doesn't keep me awake counting clutches and pondering this condundrum tonight. :D

And Kate looks lovely in red; brunettes always rock jewel tones so well.

She had a purse, then ditched it so she could mingle. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/17/article-2561490-1B96CA0500000578-543_470x804.jpg

Right, I realized she brought a purse to BP, that's what we were referring to, but didn't have one when she visited the NPG. That's the formal evening event that I meant.

Thanks for the link, BTW. :flowers:

Last edited:
This red gown is really one of the most beautiful ones. And she can wear it phantastic.... got the great taille again after the birth of George
BYe Bine

Great to see this beautiful dress again. I like the simple pumps and clutch with the outfit. Even though its a great look, I wish she dressed it up with a hairstyle or evening look earrings. The overall look was more of a daytime look than an evening look IMO.

She looks like all she had in that clutch was a tissue at most - it looks completely flat and empty :D

Glad to see this dress repeated - and I think it looks better this time round in this evening event than at the Jubilee when worn with the red hat. The colour suits Kate's colouring and its a nice shape and length on her. She kept the accessories simple - I adore those gold earrings. A very polished appearance this evening from Kate

I like this dress much more this time than at the Jubilee, the black acessories look much better with red than those nude pumps.

Great dress and much better paired with black than with nude. Hair at least in a bun would look so much better.

I love this dress. It's one of her best. Her hair is a little long but it looks styled and good.

Did anyone else notice the band-aid on her left thumb? I would have gone with Hello Kitty, or if borrowed from George's box - Superman?

Great to see this beautiful dress again.

I like the dress too.
And I think it's wise of her to wear her clothes multiple times.

Yet (I know it's contradictory) I always feel a tiny bit disappointed when I don't see something new!
Which is idiotic but there it is. :p

Yup. I agree. I like the black with the dress. I also think she should have put the hair up. It would have looked better. The bandaid is curious too, I wonder what happened.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

ugh.....get your hands out of the top of your hair. So tacky. Dress is very pretty.

I like the dress too.
And I think it's wise of her to wear her clothes multiple times.

Yet (I know it's contradictory) I always feel a tiny bit disappointed when I don't see something new!
Which is idiotic but there it is. :p

I always have the same reaction, so don't worry.

That shade of red is lovely and suits Catherine. The black shoes are a good choice, I often find that black and red go well together.

That red dress is so beautiful. Very classic and elegant. One of my favorite looks from Catherine.

ugh.....get your hands out of the top of your hair. So tacky. Dress is very pretty.

I'm sure it wasn't the whole time! They're bound to catch moments in pics.?

They're bound to catch moments in pics.

Very true.. There has been a bit of fuss over Dame Helen wagging her finger in Her Majesty's face, but on the video the movement is over in a split-second ! {and then deliberately blown up to cause a rumpus}.

I prefer this second outing for the red outfit with these accessories. Such a change to see Kate wearing a more prominent pair of earrings. I like seeing Kate recycling her clothes when she gives them a new twist.

That hair!!! AUGHHHH. :ermm:
Quite!

I love this dress. It's one of her best. Her hair is a little long but it looks styled and good.
The dress is very flattering but I agree, the hair is too long.

Yup. I agree. I like the black with the dress. I also think she should have put the hair up. It would have looked better. . .
The black accessories did look a lot better than the previous outing with nude pumps. The black courts looked a lot more elegant and feminine. As for her having her hair up? Chance would be a fine thing!

And that is why her long hair is inappropriate for public engagements. She starts out looking lovely and her hair was styled more in waves than her usual sausage curls which is a very good thing. However, Catherine cannot defy the Law of Gravity and the sheer weight of hair that long pulls out the styling and causes it to become less bouncy and then it starts to flop down over her face.

That's when she invariably ends up pushing her hair up or back over her shoulders or trying to tuck it behind her ears. Unfortunately her ears are not big enough to hold back that volume and so she ends up starting the whole routine over again. Very distracting and yes, perhaps even tacky.

And that is why her long hair is inappropriate for public engagements. She starts out looking lovely and her hair was styled more in waves than her usual sausage curls which is a very good thing. However, Catherine cannot defy the Law of Gravity and the sheer weight of hair that long pulls out the styling and causes it to become less bouncy and then it starts to flop down over her face.

That's when she invariably ends up pushing her hair up or back over her shoulders or trying to tuck it behind her ears. Unfortunately her ears are not big enough to hold back that volume and so she ends up starting the whole routine over again. Very distracting and yes, perhaps even tacky.

Exactly! Why can she not see this? :bang:

And, on reflection, I'm rather glad her ears are not big enough to hold back that volume of hair!:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom