The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 27: September 2019 - January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HRH looks superb.. the frogging on her Coat an appropriate 'nod' to the military, and a beautiful hat, with similar detail..

Everything is fine but these tassels are so crafty. Didn't she wear an outfit with military element last year too?I much prefer that one, subtler and smarter.

The hat is too busy with two complicated elements.

She rocks this neo-edwardian style. Looking great and dignified.

The duchess looks great and love the coat and hat, it all works very well together.

She looks gorgeous! I love the military element.

Absolutely not a fan of the tassles or the military theme dressing tbh. It never sits right with me when she (or any royal lady who hasnt served) does military theme dressing for military events. Unpopular opinion but there it is. (Note, this is IMO different than say Anne wearing an actual uniform).

What is more, its just a rather severe look.

I do, however, love her fascinator.

Not a fan of the military look of this one ...but I do love those earrings and her hat!

LaRae

Kate’s coat reminds me just a little bit of her husband’s black Irish Guards uniform without trying to actually be a uniform. It is much less fussy than the uniform coat.
Overall I like the coat, I’m undecided about the tassel trim.

She looks lovely. I really like the fascinator. What I can see of her up- do looks great.

I’m not a huge fan of military style clothes personally, but they suit the occasion.

The Duchess is very well dressed for the occasion,i like the military nod in outfit
Not fan of fascinator in general but thise the Veil are so cute

It is a nice outfit but it makes DoC look much older than her age and it gives her a very hard appearance.
Though I really like military inspired fashion, I don't think that wearing them at actual military ceremonies is the best choice. I mean Kate is not a soldier, she doesn't need to dress like one or try to echo their outfit.
I wish she would go back to her early choices for remembrance day, black and simple outfits, that are more than enough to pay her respects.

Not a fan of the military detailing, it looks a bit like fancy dress to me. Other than that she looks impeccable.

Here she goes again, playing dress up with her kids, instead of at a formal event :ermm:

I am sorry but pretending to be wearing a military uniform isn't cute, or a 'respectful nod'. The only people in military uniform should be those in the military or veterans. Or at the very least, wearing a real uniform as a patron. She does this all the time, her little theme outfits. Her 'sailor' look for naval events. Her military look for this. I swear she reminds me of Miss Frizzle.

If she didn't have the tassel look, the coat would be great. Lovely collar.

Her hair is stunning and I love her accessories as well.

I kind of like her hat even, though never a huge fan of these small hats.

Do we know by whom this impeccable Coat was fashioned ? Is it McQueen ?

The coat looks beautiful on Catherine, but I am not a fan of the tassels, which seem a little overwrought. Her overall appearance is excellent, but I also think it may be time to give the faux military thing a rest.

Another quibble, which I also made in reference to the Countess of Wessex, is that I prefer to see the larger silk/paper versions of the poppies, rather than the jewelry versions worn alone. The paper or silk versions make more of a statement of remembrance, whereas the jewelry versions strike me as more ornamental.

Last edited:
Definitely very, very regal and with the military element to the coat, very suitable for a Remembrance Day solemn occasion.

I'm not usually a fan of netting with a hat covering the upper part of the face but in this instance, I think it really works for Catherine and she looks every inch the Queen Consort she is preparing to be as time passes. ?

The coat looks beautiful on Catherine, but I am not a fan the tassels, which seem a little overwrought. Her overall appearance is excellent, but I also think it may be time to give the faux military thing a rest.

Another quibble, which I also made in reference to the Countess of Wessex, is that I prefer to see the larger silk/paper versions of the poppies, rather than the jewelry versions worn alone. The paper or silk versions make more of a statement of remembrance, whereas the jewelry versions strike me as more ornamental.

Kate’s poppy brooch this year seems to be in honor of her grandmother who was a codebreaker. This is a new brooch, introduced this year and sold by the Royal British Legion Shop to commemorate the people who worked at Bletchley Park in WWII.
The purchase of the new brooch contributes to the Legion’s outreach as much as the purchase of paper or silk poppies. (And she wore those last night.)

Last edited:
Kate’s poppy brooch this year seems to be in honor of her grandmother who was a codebreaker. This is a new brooch, introduced this year and sold by the Royal British Legion Shop to commemorate the people who worked at Bletchley Park in WWII.
The purchase of the new brooch contributes to the Legion’s outreach as much as the purchase of paper or silk poppies. (And she wore those last night.)

I understand all that, and think honoring her grandmother was a lovely touch. I just would have liked to have seen the brooch anchoring some of the silk or paper poppies as she did last year.

Last edited:
Here she goes again, playing dress up with her kids, instead of at a formal event :ermm:

I am sorry but pretending to be wearing a military uniform isn't cute, or a 'respectful nod'. The only people in military uniform should be those in the military or veterans. Or at the very least, wearing a real uniform as a patron. She does this all the time, her little theme outfits. Her 'sailor' look for naval events. Her military look for this. I swear she reminds me of Miss Frizzle.

If she didn't have the tassel look, the coat would be great. Lovely collar.

Her hair is stunning and I love her accessories as well.

I kind of like her hat even, though never a huge fan of these small hats.

I agree with your comments. She looks like she is playing dress-up. At first I thought she was channeling Diana's "Sgt Pepper suit" except that she was all in black as opposed to Diana's white and gold. She really lost me with the tassels - they look like they were swiped from curtain trim. Given that Catherine Walker did Diana's suit, I wonder if this is the same.

Would have preferred it without the tassels for the Cenotaph but it is a nice coat and a good look. The paper/silk poppies do have a more striking appearances (especially wearing a few together as HM and Cams did) but I would hazard that with 100% of profits going to the Poppy Appeal Catherine's badge meant more money going to veterans than the paper poppies worn by others. I'm not saying that its more important for that but likewise can it really be a bad thing?

Thank you for sharing this information on her poppy.

Not a fan of the headpiece..the first thing i thought when i saw the left side was SPIDERS for some reason.

But the coat is smashing. I just love it. The DoC has come a looong way from playing with her sausage curls and being accused of inappropriate smiling at this event. She looks perfect.;)

Catherine looked very regal, IMO.

My one criticism is why must she have a new coat every year, this is an event that would lend itself well to her regularly re-wearing a few chosen coats on an ongoing basis.

I agree with your comments. She looks like she is playing dress-up. At first I thought she was channeling Diana's "Sgt Pepper suit" except that she was all in black as opposed to Diana's white and gold. She really lost me with the tassels - they look like they were swiped from curtain trim. Given that Catherine Walker did Diana's suit, I wonder if this is the same.

Its Alexander McQueen.

https://footwearnews.com/2019/fashi...ton-2019-remembrance-day-services-1202870572/

Would have preferred it without the tassels for the Cenotaph but it is a nice coat and a good look. The paper/silk poppies do have a more striking appearances (especially wearing a few together as HM and Cams did) but I would hazard that with 100% of profits going to the Poppy Appeal Catherine's badge meant more money going to veterans than the paper poppies worn by others. I'm not saying that its more important for that but likewise can it really be a bad thing?

The Poppy she is wearing has a special connection to her grandmother which is all that matters.

Technically the paper poppies could cost just as much. Yes the one she wore cost 30 pounds. But the silk ones are by donation. Some people choose to donate a significant amount for those silk poppies. More expensive looking technically doesn't mean a bigger donation.

The only issue would be if the poppy was an 'one time buy' and worn every year, no donation being made every year.

But as someone whose grandmother also served, I love Kate honoring her grandmother with this.

Absolutely not a fan of the tassles or the military theme dressing tbh. It never sits right with me when she (or any royal lady who hasnt served) does military theme dressing for military events. Unpopular opinion but there it is. (Note, this is IMO different than say Anne wearing an actual uniform).

What is more, its just a rather severe look.

I do, however, love her fascinator.
I have to agree about the military theme, even as it is carried into the hat. I love the hat and I wore the military version for twenty years. However, I also had a black hat very much the same style that I wore in civvies.

All in all, I think the entire ensemble would have been better worn at another venue.

Catherine looked very regal, IMO.

My one criticism is why must she have a new coat every year, this is an event that would lend itself well to her regularly re-wearing a few chosen coats on an ongoing basis.

The Duchess has worn one of her black coats three times to this event and two of her black hats twice each. As she will be attending this event for decades, I’m sure over the years there will be more repeats.

What I liked about this year's look is that actually back in the 1940s, the military aspects of an outfit were very much the rage. So, in a way, fitting for remembering those that served and died in WWII with the retro fashion of that era.

I still have my mother's 1940s rhinestone American flag pendant she wore while my dad was overseas with the Navy during WWII. I think I'll dig that out and wear it tomorrow just because I can as its Veteran's Day here in the US. ?

What I liked about this year's look is that actually back in the 1940s, the military aspects of an outfit were very much the rage. So, in a way, fitting for remembering those that served and died in WWII with the retro fashion of that era.

I still have my mother's 1940s rhinestone American flag pendant she wore while my dad was overseas with the Navy during WWII. I think I'll dig that out and wear it tomorrow just because I can as its Veteran's Day here in the US. ?
Good point, she is very retro and maybe all for her grandmother. All is beautiful except the zipper!,on the coat and the pull right at her throat. One of my absolute favorite hairdos on her. Yes a long way from the sausage curls hanging in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom