The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

When I saw this at work, I almost fell out of my chair at the perfection. Even if I had never seen this woman before, I would have been gobsmacked at the utter prettiness of this! It's such a lovely fit for the event.

I think the detail of the fascinator make up for its not being a hat. This is a fascinator I can get behind - on a overall styling meter. Granted, I don't want to see all the frou frou bits with everything she wears, but I thought with this dress, on this day it was perfect.

Honestly, I immediately thought of the Ascot scene in the movie My Fair Lady - not because it looks like a costume but just because it is almost iconicly Ascot in the same way the black and white scene in the movie. It's a very updated take on that black and white scene IMO. RAVES for days.

And I want to add that Sophie in the more classic/streamlined green only elevated both looks in the carriage. Brava to both! On rare days two very different stylings elevate each other.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I do prefer the 2017 white lace dress too. It has the perfect ''puffiness'' (for lack of a better word) of the skirt. Not too flat, not too big. Plus her breasts sit better in this dress. It simply has a better fit.

However, a hairnet?

Princess Catherine wears a hairnet at the Royal Ascot
If you look closely you will see the majority of royal women sporting updo's also wear hair nets. There is no virtue in calling them old fashioned and going out and having wisps or worse work free. The just simply are as important as hairpins.

I can really get behind AdmirerUS total post. The very definition of pretty and I definitely agree about the hat.

However, I want to shoot the Alexander McQueen! From the bustline to the hips it looks well lined. Below that is a whole other story as in the beautiful sunlit day her legs were quite visible clear up to the thigh gap. I don't believe for one moment that Catherine was aware of it and it just seemed to happen mostly in long shots. I still think it was one of the prettiest ensembles she has worn and that it was perfect for Royal Ascot but, for the price of that dress I would expect as near perfect as possible from the mighty McQueen!

Old 06-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I saw a couple of the more 'sheer' pics...not as bad as Diana at the pre-school...but yeah a couple pics probably show more than intended.

LaRae
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
If you look closely you will see the majority of royal women sporting updo's also wear hair nets. There is no virtue in calling them old fashioned and going out and having wisps or worse work free. The just simply are as important as hairpins.
I agree. Don't understand any objections. The only other solution is hairspray (ugh!).

I also like the whole look. Very pretty. Perfectly put together and likely maintained all day in the heat and breezes (if any). Photo ready at all times.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I want to see a return of those embellished hair nets ...the kind they used to wear jewels on. You could really bling those out! lol

LaRae
Old 06-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Really lovely dress. Flattering look. Don't like fascinators but beautiful one

But I am on boat with the why Have twenty lace dresses fine. But two in exact same color and such similar style. Shortened the hem and raised the neck. It may not be so glaringly obvious if she didn't wear to the same event in consecutive ears. If she had worn this say to trooping, yes people would have a bit of a double take but not as obvious.

We'll have got used to the blue coat dress procession. Guess will just have to get used to white lace procession.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I want to see a return of those embellished hair nets ...the kind they used to wear jewels on. You could really bling those out! lol LaRae
Yes, yes! I know the ones you mean as my family has some of those from decades ago. Antiques really. They are impressive as it's more than just crushed crystals but the thread itself is augmented. A 1940's thing, not so?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Yes, yes! I know the ones you mean as my family has some of those from decades ago. Antiques really. They are impressive as it's more than just crushed crystals but the thread itself is augmented. A 1940's thing, not so?
Yep and the fashion trend right now seems to be going retro..that would fit right in! Yes the gold or silver thread, if you can imagine sewing with that!

Also, (the hair nets) goes back to long long time before the 40's! Middle ages I think!

LaRae
Old 06-20-2017, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, going retro and hair nets are popular. But not in the lunch lady way. Yes there has a practical reason for Kate wearing it, and that's great. Would rather her hair look neat. But certainly nothing trendy about it.

The trend is to go back to 40s which was in itself a rethinking of older style. The trend is to wear heir nets as actual accessories. Instead of a hat or fascinator, wearing a net as statement piece.

The Trendy Hairnet

And indeed Pranter they go back many centuries. They were often worn at the French court with the French hood. Anyone who watched the Tudors it's accurate enough. Was considered scandalous by many at the time, as English hoods had a full fabric veil down the back, hiding the hair, called lawn.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the reason it was scandalous was because only 'loose' women or 'working women' showed their hair.

Of course we know the French court was the front lines of scandalous behavior over the centuries at least when it came to clothing! lol

LaRae
Old 06-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Majesty

The white dress is absolutely stunning. It is regal, exquisite and very elegant. It has an old fashioned look to it in a modern way. No doubt one of her most beautiful dresses.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Her posture was better.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

In the cariage pictures where you only see the upper part of her outfit, she looks like she comes from a different era. She makes me think of Queen Mary.
Very lovely!
Old 06-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Absolutely lovely. She reminds me the scene of Ascot, from "my fair lady"
Old 06-28-2017, 03:38 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Catherine looked lovely at Royal Ascot. White is her color and she wears lace well. I did love her look but did I want to see something very similar to what she wore last year to the same event, no. I hope the white lace dresses wont become a yearly look for her at this event.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Courtier

She looks very beautiful here! I love the whole look.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cambridge in a Gucci tweed dress at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London today, June 29:

** Full view ** Back view ** Upper part **
Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 AM
Majesty

The dress is great. It a very interesting look.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 AM
Royal Highness

Full marks 10/10 on this look. Not only is it a great dress (the mod style fits very well on her!) but the accessorizing was on point as well. This is a perfect look in my eye!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:38 AM
Royal Highness

At first glance i thought it was Chanel. Great "old school" look.

Tags
the duchess of cambridge casual wear, the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion, the duchess of cambridge fashion, the duchess of cambridge hats