The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 15: July 2014 - September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Truly wish Catherine would adopt the use of barrettes or little combs or some kind of pretty hair accessory, both to hold her hair in place and to jazz up her look a little.

The Lauren dress was okay, but does she have something against wearing slips?

Truly wish Catherine would adopt the use of barrettes or little combs or some kind of pretty hair accessory, both to hold her hair in place and to jazz up her look a little.

The Lauren dress was okay, but does she have something against wearing slips?

The silk dress had a plain black silk lining on the skirt.

As for the combs - I had hair that long and that thick when I was younger. I tried combs but they just kept falling out because of the weight of my hair.

It's her style and she's obviously happy with it. But she does try different things just not every time

As for the combs - I had hair that long and that thick when I was younger. I tried combs but they just kept falling out because of the weight of my hair.

It's her style and she's obviously happy with it. But she does try different things just not every time

But a black silk lining doesn't perform the same function as a slip.

And I just bet someone in the world has made a barrette or clip that wouldn't fall out of Catherine's hair. Somehow I just think that's a possibility.

I had the same thought about petticoats. All those fashion faux pas would never have happened. I mean how many times do you have to see her bare butt before she realizes that she must wear something under her flimsy outfits?

Second, I might be in the minority but except for her wedding dress, nothing fits her appropriately. All her clothes have a very loose fit and look unattractive. I don't get the Kate effect at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

I had the same problem. Only the largest, strongest and least attractive clips could hold back my hair.

Kate likes her hair the way it is for the time being.

Second, I might be in the minority but except for her wedding dress, nothing fits her appropriately. All her clothes have a very loose fit and look unattractive. I don't get the Kate effect at all.

I have said that for some time now...many times her clothing does not fit her right...and there is no reason she can't have something tailored to fit her even if most of it is 'off the rack'.

The things that are obviously tailored for her almost always look wonderful on her.

LaRae

But a black silk lining doesn't perform the same function as a slip.

I guess I am confused... what function is a slip supposed to perform with the houndstooth Ralph Lauren dress? To me this is a dress that you would not wear a slip with; the lining would serve the purpose of the opacity of the fabric - which is what I how i use a slip. I think the concern people have is the cut of the dress - where you could see more leg than is thought appropriate when she walks? that would not be resolved with a slip - in fact it would be worse if a slip was showing. it is a bit of a sexy cut - but i personally find no issue with it - she has great legs; however - if the Duchess were to be so inclined to eliminate the slit, the only solution i see would be to sew up the dress so that the fabric did not separate when she walked. jmo... but I dont think a slip is the solution in this instance.

I guess I am confused... what function is a slip supposed to perform with the houndstooth Ralph Lauren dress? To me this is a dress that you would not wear a slip with; the lining would serve the purpose of the opacity of the fabric - which is what I how i use a slip. I think the concern people have is the cut of the dress - where you could see more leg than is thought appropriate when she walks? that would not be resolved with a slip - in fact it would be worse if a slip was showing. it is a bit of a sexy cut - but i personally find no issue with it - she has great legs; however - if the Duchess were to be so inclined to eliminate the slit, the only solution i see would be to sew up the dress so that the fabric did not separate when she walked. jmo... but I dont think a slip is the solution in this instance.

I agree - a slip wouldn't make any sense with the dress. All it would do is mean that, instead of seeing her legs (gasp!), you'd be seeing the slip, which certainly wouldn't be a good look.

In general, it seems to me that Kate's long hair and long legs are traits of hers that she seems to like. I think many (if not most) people have certain aspects of their appearance that they favor, and I think sometimes people stick to those highlighting those things because they might feel they detract form other areas that they find less flattering. Much as it drives some people crazy, Kate seems comfortable with her hair and her legs, and I don't really anticipate her to make any changes in those areas any time soon.

Tonight's coat is a beautiful color.

Well I would much rather see a petticoat than her bare butt. I've seen the queen's "slip". Can you imagine if she didn't wear a petticoat? A black petticoat with the Ralph Lauren dress would have been fine with...two more buttons on that dress.

I agree - a slip wouldn't make any sense with the dress. All it would do is mean that, instead of seeing her legs (gasp!), you'd be seeing the slip, which certainly wouldn't be a good look.

In general, it seems to me that Kate's long hair and long legs are traits of hers that she seems to like. I think many (if not most) people have certain aspects of their appearance that they favor, and I think sometimes people stick to those highlighting those things because they might feel they detract form other areas that they find less flattering. Much as it drives some people crazy, Kate seems comfortable with her hair and her legs, and I don't really anticipate her to make any changes in those areas any time soon.

The issue with the slit is how far it goes up on the thigh....nothing to do with how good her legs are, that's beside the point. You don't expect to see that type of slit on a day dress while working.

If the dress is lined she doesn't need a slip.

LaRae

The issue with the slit is how far it goes up on the thigh....nothing to do with how good her legs are, that's beside the point. You don't expect to see that type of slit on a day dress while working.

If the dress is lined she doesn't need a slip.

LaRae

To me, it has to do with how good her legs are in the sense that I think she's comfortable with showing a little bit of leg. I don't see anything wrong with that, or anything the least bit inappropriate with what she's wearing. Obviously, though, people have different experiences and different perspectives on what they think is appropriate. What I expect to see and what you expect to see are likely quite different.

A slit showing over halfway up the thigh is inappropriate for a working environment...unless something major has changed in work attire the past 6 months.

LaRae

Moving away from the slit discussion, I thought Kate's hair was better today . The bangs/fringe were to the side not falling in her eyes like yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

A slit showing over halfway up the thigh is inappropriate for a working environment...unless something major has changed in work attire the past 6 months.

LaRae

It depends where you're working, what you're doing, etc. (a "working environment" can mean a very wide range of things. Attire has varied widely in the different places I've worked.) However, as there increasingly fewer "rules" when it comes to fashion, a lot of what's considered appropriate is in the eye of the beholder. And Kate doesn't exactly have a regular job in a workplace where there might be a specific tone set - she's not there to blend in. It's just a case of different strokes for different folks, I think. :)

Moving away from the slit discussion, I thought Kate's hair was better today . The bangs/fringe were to the side not falling in her eyes like yesterday.

I don't like the bangs...I think they are at an odd length. If they were shorter or longer I think they'd be ok. Really I've always liked her hair before...this is the first time I've not really liked the style.

LaRae

I learned from blog posting about yesterday's engagement that a lot of woman go thru a post baby hair loss especially around the hair line. So maybe that's why the bangs to cover up the fine hairs growing back after the hair loss. We have seen her hair like this before and it didn't stay so come later this fall. It's probably going to be different.

Very beautiful coat and very beautiful color but the hair still a big mess.

Well I would much rather see a petticoat than her bare butt. I've seen the queen's "slip". Can you imagine if she didn't wear a petticoat? A black petticoat with the Ralph Lauren dress would have been fine with...two more buttons on that dress.

What's with the "bare butt" comments? Once, maybe twice Kate has had a malfunction due to the wind .... I don't see that as requiring "bare butt" accusations. :ermm:

To me, it has to do with how good her legs are in the sense that I think she's comfortable with showing a little bit of leg. I don't see anything wrong with that, or anything the least bit inappropriate with what she's wearing. Obviously, though, people have different experiences and different perspectives on what they think is appropriate. What I expect to see and what you expect to see are likely quite different.
Exactly! I personally find some of the "cleavage" showing on some people far more offensive than showing a bit of leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she's had an extraordinary number of exposures. If she utilized fashion precautions she wouldn't have to worry. Even when she arrived at the Anna Freud Institute, she gets out of the car and awkwardly grabs the back of her dress to avoid another disaster. When she's so paranoid about it too, maybe it's time to rethink her fashion "foundation". It would make everyone more comfortable.

BTW, I think the actual count is upwards of five though...

If there had been only one or clothing malfunctions no one would say much about it...but there's been well over that number.

Over half way up the thigh is more than a 'bit' of leg.

LaRae

If there had been only one or clothing malfunctions no one would say much about it...but there's been well over that number.

Over half way up the thigh is more than a 'bit' of leg.

LaRae
Over half way up the thigh is standard skirt lenght for many people, especially in the summer. I understand that she can't have that skirtlength but her flashing that high for a second is a non-issue to me. I myself like to have longer skirts but I think things have changed alot and a little leg is no big deal. I guess it can be a generational issue.

Over half way up the thigh is standard skirt lenght for many people, especially in the summer. I understand that she can't have that skirtlength but her flashing that high for a second is a non-issue to me. I myself like to have longer skirts but I think things have changed alot and a little leg is no big deal. I guess it can be a generational issue.

I agree ... but, if it is a "generational issue" I'm one swingin' old lady. :lol:

Because 'many people' wear something doesn't mean it's appropriate. The DoC is not just a regular person. While working (as she was) she represents the monarchy.

I'm under 50, I have a number of friends under 50 (and family) who would agree. It's not generational.

LaRae

Because 'many people' wear something doesn't mean it's appropriate. The DoC is not just a regular person. While working (as she was) she represents the monarchy.

I'm under 50, I have a number of friends under 50 (and family) who would agree. It's not generational.

LaRae
Well.. Maybe I should refrase it. Most people wear short shorts and skirts nowdays (and this is coming from me who doesnt). I'm in my early 20s so to me you are in another genration/my mothers generation and such. So I think what "many people" do have something to do with this discussion since it is a mark of what is acceptable. Your parents probably was shocked about some of your hairstyles just like your grandparents were shocked over your mothers skirtlenghts. Kate's clothing in general magazines are coined as modest, and I think that she dresses nicely. Noone died from seeing a bit of thigh.

Exactly! I personally find some of the "cleavage" showing on some people far more offensive than showing a bit of leg.

Yeah, to me, seeing a bit of leg is fine. I mean, it's not as if she's wearing hot pants or something. I actually don't even notice how much leg Kate is or isn't showing until people start mentioning it on here, and then I realize how different people's expectations can be. Some of it I do think is generational, but not always, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom