The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 9: November 2018 - November 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to Part 9 of the thread for The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear!

You can find the old thread here:

** The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 8: March 2017 - November 2018 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that The Duchess of Cambridge's pink gown for the PoW's party is by Erdem. It appears to be a one-shoulder, possibly asymmetric neckline, which is part of Erdem's recent repertoire of necklines. And, the velvet. I can't tell if it is a floral print, or a velvet burnout type of fabric, but both are used by Erdem.

The Duchess has worn some velvet Erdem dresses in the past year or two. As a final little clue, the Erdem one-shoulder neckline I speak of is quite like that day dress in a glen plaid she wore recently to rave reviews.

What do you all think?

:previous: The tiny bit we can see of it is a gorgeous color, so I do hope we get to see the entire gown at some point. You may be right about the Erdem, any photos of likely contenders?

I could see it being Erdem too....fingers crossed we find out!

LaRae

:previous: The tiny bit we can see of it is a gorgeous color, so I do hope we get to see the entire gown at some point. You may be right about the Erdem, any photos of likely contenders?

Nothing definitive, but Erdem has a range of day dresses with that sort of neckline. Knowing how senior Royals like custom pieces, it seems to me that the DoC may have had them incorporate that neckline into a full-length gown.

Hopefully she will repeat the pink gown.

Nothing definitive, but Erdem has a range of day dresses with that sort of neckline. Knowing how senior Royals like custom pieces, it seems to me that the DoC may have had them incorporate that neckline into a full-length gown.

Day dresses with a one bare shoulder? That seems odd. I haven’t seen those and I don’t know where they’d be worn.

I think I’m with those leaning towards Marchesa. The floral appliques seems like Marchesa style.

It doesn’t look like velvet to me, more of a gathered chiffon or silk, embellished on the shoulder with fabric flowers.

Last edited:
Someone on another site thinks the pink dress is a bespoke version of Jenny Packham's Clara design.
I'm inclined to agree.

(Interesting that several ladies opted for a one-shoulder design).

It looks like chiffon to me, too, but barring a better photo all that is is a guess. It's a delicious color, in any case.

Jenny Packham would make sense.

After looking at the Clara, I do think that's a possibility. And what an interesting gown it is, with the layers of pinks, and the floaty edges and layers of fabric. Not at all what I would expect of the Duchess, unless it is a bespoke version.

Last edited:
Jenny Packham came out today and denied it was their design.

LaRae

If the dress is Marchesa, someone ought to be fired because that would be an absolute horrible move PR-wise. I'm gonna go for McQueen though, since that is her go to designer.

Could be R. Mouret ...Erdem...

LaRae

Saw a couple Marchesa gowns on Twitter...one of them has an almost identical fabric on Kate's dress and a similar style you see on the shoulder of the pink dress....

LaRae

If the dress is Marchesa, someone ought to be fired because that would be an absolute horrible move PR-wise. I'm gonna go for McQueen though, since that is her go to designer.

I apologize if I'm missing something, but why would her wearing Marchesa be a bad PR move? Is there something disreputable about the brand?

I apologize if I'm missing something, but why would her wearing Marchesa be a bad PR move? Is there something disreputable about the brand?

Marchesa is co-owned by Georgina Chapman and owns much of its success to the fact that her husband (whom she is currently divorcing) Harvey Weinstein pressured women who appeared in his films to wear the brand. In the wake of the Me Too movement the brand has been shunned by celebrities.

Marchesa is co-owned by Georgina Chapman and owns much of its success to the fact that her husband (whom she is currently divorcing) Harvey Weinstein pressured women who appeared in his films to wear the brand. In the wake of the Me Too movement the brand has been shunned by celebrities.

Thank you, I hadn't realized that.

Wow does that dress need something, brooch like before or at the waist would help. The dress looks like it is hanging on her

A beautiful dress in a gorgeous color, but it did need something like a brooch.

Yes it was wonderful to see her accessorize with the Maple Leaf brooch during the Canadian tour.?

Absolutely beautiful red dress. One of her best dresses.

Would be interested to get a closer look at her earrings.

Fantastic dress. Loved it in Canada, love now. Actually modern and fresh :flowers:

But ugh :bang:please do an updo. Sausage curls are good for day but.... When you have a stunning architectural dress like this, you loose some of it with hair down. Another evening look that looked so much better first time around with a fantastic updo.

Hair aside though, by and far her best look in ages.

Marchesa was started by Georgina and her partner, not by her husband whom she later married, and is likely now separated from and pursuing divorce proceedings. Why should celebs shun Marchesa? I doubt Georgina and her partner knew about or condoned anything that Weinstein was doing re preying on females. :sad:

It's a shame if Weinstein 'pressured' women to wear his wife's brand. Marchesa made lovely designs, so I don't see why Weinstein would have had any reason to 'pressure' female stars to wear Marchesa in the first place. It sounds like blow-back gossip or a bit of exaggeration in the aftermath of Weinstein's egregious transgressions and reckless carryings-on coming to light.

Kate would definitely look lovely in anything Marchesa.

Someone on another site thinks the pink dress is a bespoke version of Jenny Packham's Clara design.
I'm inclined to agree.

(Interesting that several ladies opted for a one-shoulder design).

Please provide a link to the Clara design you are referring. Packham has a 'Clara' wedding dress line for Spring that references her fascination for Clara the Swallow (a trapeze artist). But I don't think any of those designs resemble very much the little we can see of what Kate wore to Charles' birthday party (except for the pink Packham dress linked below). A number of fashion commentators have suggested the dress is bespoke, but the designer is still uncertain.

http://fashionisers.com/fashion-news/jenny-packham-bridal-spring-2018-collection/
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/bridal-spring-2018/jenny-packham

This is the only Packham dress that comes close...
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/resort-2018/marchesa/slideshow/collection#2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom