Sofia Hellqvist's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2014 - February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all should be wary of using slang words and expressions on a board like this which not only has a geographically widespread membership of people in many different countries and cultures, some living in cities and others in country areas, and also a wide range of age groups from teenagers to people who remember life in the 1950s, and some of whom have English as a second or perhaps even third language.

It is difficult enough to manage to express oneself clearly and unambiguously when using standard words and expressions, but adding urban slang which has several different interpretations is fraught with danger.

:previous:Well put! Let's speak plain English and that also means no sarcasm.

As far as tiara hair or evening dress hair, it doesn't have to be an updo to look right, imo.
Diana did well in a tiara with shortish hair and P Madeline wears a tiara well with her hair long.
I guess my evening dress and hair rule is:
If you are going to wear your long hair down, it has to be modified some how to go with the evening dress.
Sofia's hair could have used it. She has fine features and wearing it long overpowers her, imo. She really looks well with a chignon.

Last edited:
I think Sofia's dress she wore to the gala in Stockholm is fine. I love the colour and it's appropriate for the event. However, I do think her hair is a little messy in some places. I don't have a problem with hair down. I personally wear my hair down most of the time as it looks awful in most updos. As my hair is very thick and curly it just looks like I have a bush or a bird's nest on my head whenever I have my hair in an updo. I also generally feel more comfortable with it down.

I like Sofia's latest dress, that shade of blue is nice, but I'm not a fan of the shiny stripe. In general I like her style but she does tend to have a few misses sometimes. She looks best in casual wear but there have also been some great formal outfits she has worn. Do we know if she already has a stylist?

The dress she wore to the royal Swedish academy gala was great, I loved the cut but I'm not a fan of the color. It was just blah, it should've been lighter or darker but not in between. I also liked her hair down it was lovely!

The dress she wore to the royal Swedish academy gala was great, I loved the cut but I'm not a fan of the color. It was just blah, it should've been lighter or darker but not in between. I also liked her hair down it was lovely!

I agree, I thought she look fine but the color of the gown was too drab.

Disagree all you want. It doesn't matter. How can someone "hiding" behind their hair be a positive? I want my royals to be regal and slumping behind a curtain of hair is not regal.

Anyway, who would want to wear the same hairdo with jeans or an evening gown? Shows a lack of adventure.

:previous:Well put! Let's speak plain English and that also means no sarcasm.

As far as tiara hair or evening dress hair, it doesn't have to be an updo to look right, imo.
Diana did well in a tiara with shortish hair and P Madeline wears a tiara well with her hair long.
I guess my evening dress and hair rule is:
If you are going to wear your long hair down, it has to be modified some how to go with the evening dress.
Sofia's hair could have used it. She has fine features and wearing it long overpowers her, imo. She really looks well with a chignon.
Sofia's hair really does look beatiful in a chignon and I think, dress wise, she gets it right most of the time. But this gala is a hard one with Silvia down, Victoria up and Madeleine half and half. But Madeleine's hair was styled professionally so we could see her face and her jewellery. In point of fact, she could probably plonk a tiara on top and it would look right. And that is the big point about hair. It needs to be styled for the occasion.
Disagree all you want. It doesn't matter. How can someone "hiding" behind their hair be a positive? I want my royals to be regal and slumping behind a curtain of hair is not regal.

Anyway, who would want to wear the same hairdo with jeans or an evening gown? Shows a lack of adventure.
The nonsense that it's okay for a member of the royal family to wear their hair down just to use it to hide behind, has to be one of the silliest I have heard of late.

And, of course you are correct, it would cause major slumping! Not an attractive look and certainly not one to encourage in a soon to be member of the Swedish RF.

We are lucky that she stands straight, puts her shoulders back and wears her clothes with style. I also think that that trait alone allowed her to look good and still be seen with her hair down because she sat straight and with her head up. Lovely style . . . but I'm still on team updo.

Last edited:
Wow...I am speechless. I am as interested in fashion as much as the next person, and that's why I can say that wearing your hair down doesn't make a lick of difference in how you carry yourself. As far as deportment and grace and posture and regal-ness--you either have it or you don't. It comes from within, from your attitude, your compassion, and your sense of duty to others above yourself. It's the reason the poorest woman could be considered a lady and gracious even if her clothes don't come with designer labels.

Like Sofia or not, she's got it. She's in love, she's beautiful, and she's happy and confident enough in her own skin to be radiant in most everything.

Plus, I don't think anyone ever accused Sofia before of lacking a sense of adventure. Good grief.

I disagree, you don't either have it or you don't. It is much easier to get into a habit of poor head neck posture with long hair which covers up the poor posture. Well, there is another very well known royal who wears her hair down most of the time and has poor posture and does hides behind her curtains of hair most of the time. Thankfully Sofia sees the benefit in experimenting eith her hair

Last edited:

If there's one thing Sofia does NOT lack it's a lack of adventure:flowers:

Really like that gown on her....great style/color.

LaRae

Much better with sleeves looks very elegant

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't like the dress, it looks really cheap for a black-tie event. The middle parting hairdo doesnt do Sofia any favours, her forehead looks huge. All in all not very flattering.

I love this look! It's a great variation on an overlay, which has been done so much, but this draping is really interesting. The effect at the neckline looks really architectural and interesting.

I really love this look- it's my favorite since she got engaged. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I really don't like all the Sofia-bashing... but when I look at this, I have to say she has totally no feeling of how to dress princess-like :bang:

I think it looks alright I don't think it is THAT bad but I understand when you really cannot stand someone nothing they do is even half right, I like this Grecian style on her. She is not all that attractive really but she does no real harm here.. IMO

I don't like her but that deosn't mean that I can't be objective|I agree she looks very elegant here IMO.

I really don't like all the Sofia-bashing... but when I look at this, I have to say she has totally no feeling of how to dress princess-like :bang:
Do tell what your definition of a princess dress is, because if that's a ball gown and lot's of diamonds, I will gladly see her dress un-princess like for the rest of her life.

I don't hate the gown, don't love it. Doesn't really do much but it is one of her better dresses so far, design wise.

I love the look! I think the a-symmetrical contrasting draped overlay makes an interesting and welcome change from the black-over-white/cream overlay dresses we've seen lots of recently. I like the clean lines and lack of lace. I want to see the back, to see whether or not she's covered the tattoo. I'm hoping she hasn't, because I like it and I think it would be good to get it out there so everyone gets used to it.

Sofia has a lovely face and very good posture which helps. I don't think the centre part suits her, and I'd like to see a stylist make changes to her hair. She wears it very flat against her head, which could be simply because she has fine, straight, hair, which I do, too, and back-coming such fine hair to give it body wrecks it very quickly. We'll see.

Ya this dress is ok but not one of my favorites. Love her hairdo though!

I like the dress and I think sometimes she looks well dressed.
Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom