The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Absolutely agree. Empire waistlines were made for people like Sarah and a soft floaty fabric would be ideal. "Fashion" on a yearly basis is not for everyone (though I don't even think the dress she wore was fashionable) and should be adapted as much as possible to the particular body. Let's call it "originality" and is much more interesting anyway.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

It is sad to say it BUT she does not have a once of dress sense! After almost 25 years to pass through palaces galas and fashionable people she is still unable to understand what is elegant. Her case is hopeless.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Courtier

I couldn't have said it better fandesacs.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Courtier

It is scary that she thought she looked good. Maybe she was trying to match Bea's and thinks that shade of pink is in. Her hair has looked very bad recently and I'm sure she has a hairdresser her makeup has been terrible as well. Could be she is trying to look cheap so people will think she doesn't have the money to look good anymore. Of course people look great everyday on much less money then she has. That dress just doesn't fit properly it looked like a sausage about to burst on her. There comes a time when women need to start covering their upper arms and with her freckles and that pink it was the time for Sarah. But as we all know Sarah has never been known for her dress sense so why start now? She has looked good but usually when wearing black. The girls I fear have got that lack of style gene that Sarah has like her they both have more misses then hits. Bea's dress is way too low and she has had that problem before I guess like her mother she doesn't learn from her past mistakes either. Sarah doesn't look like she is aging well and needs to learn to dress her age I think that is a problem with that dress as well it is way too young for her the colour and the style!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
What I do not understand is that it really isn't all that difficult in terms of Sarah, reasonable neckline, covered arms, non clinging fabric/style. That dress with a higher neckline, sleeves, and a bit fuller from the waist done in a turquoise, midnight blue or a nice green would have looked lovely on her. She just seems to TRY to look bad.
Perhaps you should approach Sarah with a view to offering 'style advice', Princess of Durham!!
Why not write to Royal Lodge with a copy of your resume and offer to be Fashion Sylist to Sarah?! [Even if you don't have any formal qualifications, you are clearly better-versed in style matters than Sarah is!!

Quote:
I'm wondering if she was trying to do some strange color coordination with Beatrice, if so, not a good idea. It seems as if her clothing choices mirror her financial style .... no common sense.
That is an interesing theory; I am not a huge expert on Royal Fashions, but when the Princesses were younger, didn't Sarah try to do something similar? Can anyone who rememebers royal fashions help me with this one, please? [I can remember when Princess Diana was once seen to make a serious misjudgement by dressing the infant Prince William in the same Catherine Walker Coat that she was wearing. The Press thought that this was a howler. As did many Royal watchers!!]

Thank you in advance,

Alex
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Nobility

Considering she has an income way above the average female population, she looks awful. Overweight, tacky clothing and cheap overall look.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
Considering she has an income way above the average female population, she looks awful. Overweight, tacky clothing and cheap overall look.
Right. But it is not question of money. Kate Middleton is the proof of this.

But Sarah was always "wrong"... Even was she was princess in activity, she was alway "gifted" to do the wrong thing. She has like an "inverse" capacity to be always wrong, in questions of style, behavior, everything. I think this is the reason she never felt OK inside the royal family, especially compared with the "icon" Diana.

And apparently her daughters took a little of her genes!!!
Its a pitty because she is a nice person and could be interesting, but she never stepped into the shoes what she was doing!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Right. But it is not question of money. Kate Middleton is the proof of this.
It is a question of money. It is much easier to hire a personal trainer, a dietitian and a chef, if money is not a problem. Of course, there is such thing as being committed to healthy living.....and Kate Middleton is the proof of this.

Apologies for the t/j. Sarah used to look like a breath of fresh air - it's sad to see her look like this.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Arriving prior to the Ecclestone wedding
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/122...0A760B0D811297

The thread hadnt been updated for a while (because of people refusing to somehow link "Sarah Ferguson" and "style")?

Anyway, there are rare occasions when it isnt THAT bad. At least sometimes she brushes her hair and uses some make up.

August 2011
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...42_634x770.jpg
June 2011
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/117...0A760B0D811297
May 2011
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...94_468x663.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...18_468x773.jpg
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/114...0A760B0D811297
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/114...0A760B0D811297
March 2011
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/109...47CD26E167F0A6

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/109...3F5D9B0B90FC3C
Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Royal Highness

When I tried to view some of these pics, I got the message "the website declined to show this page"" I think this could be very sound judgement
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
It is a question of money. It is much easier to hire a personal trainer, a dietitian and a chef, if money is not a problem. Of course, there is such thing as being committed to healthy living.....and Kate Middleton is the proof of this.
I do not think it is a question of money so much as it is a sheer lack of taste. Many women who can afford expensive designer oufits often look aweful whilst other women who have to make do with what they can afford, do look after themselves and very often look exceptional in simple items. I do not think that Fergie was ever particularly glamorous or chic in anything she wore. Sometimes I do think she actually tried but was she was just a poor judge of suitable and elegant fashion.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
When I tried to view some of these pics, I got the message "the website declined to show this page"" I think this could be very sound judgement
I got the same message Elly C: but I was not witty enough to think of your explanation, I just thought it was a PC glitch.! Thank you for the laugh!!

The photos that I can view include one taken where Sarah is plugging sales of her book. I presume that her publisher's Representative was with her, and as money was involved [i.e. this was a commercial enterprise], I suppose that he or she was there to guide Sarah away from her worst sartorial excesses....!

There is also a pretty dire photo of Sarah and the Princesses arriving 'before the wedding'. The photo is cropped, but ['poor' 'penniless'] Sarah appears to be carrying an Hermes Birkin bag. Can some fashion expert confirm this for me, please? [They cost hundreds of pounds: Sarah would do better to brush her hair (cost = nothing) and SELL the Hermes bag and take the proceeds into Selfridges in Oxford Street where I am sure the personal shopper there could have got her looking half way decent!!!]

I must say, though, and without wishing to be unkind, that there is clearly a very marked contrast between Sarah's airbrushed face on the jacket of her book and the undoctored photographs of Sarah 'in the flesh', where, IMHO, she looks every bit - and more - of her 51 years. A mixture of the legacy of too much sun and too much smoking, I asssume.

A.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Courtier

Regarding the first picture: no excuse for no makeup and unbrushed/combed hair. Many of the other pictures: too much cleavage, bare arms and tight dresses, oh, and shiny fabrics ..... sigh! Again, pictures of her clutching her daughters. I'm beginning to wonder if they are trying to run away and she has them literally in her grip. I wouldn't go to market looking like Sarah on her arrival, one would think she had a modicum of pride ... I guess not.

In fairness, she did look nice in the black dress with lace top and long sleeves.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
There is also a pretty dire photo of Sarah and the Princesses arriving 'before the wedding'. The photo is cropped, but ['poor' 'penniless'] Sarah appears to be carrying an Hermes Birkin bag. Can some fashion expert confirm this for me, please? [They cost hundreds of pounds: Sarah would do better to brush her hair (cost = nothing) and SELL the Hermes bag and take the proceeds into Selfridges in Oxford Street where I am sure the personal shopper there could have got her looking half way decent!!!]

A.
YES it is an Hermes Birkin Bag, et it does not cost hundred of pounds! It cost THOUSAND of pounds, I think about 4-5000 (four-five THOUSAND pounds)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Is it a new or old bag?

I don't know about people with expensive bags but as someone who collects relatively modest bags (i.e. Coach), I tend to keep mine. In fact, I used one for one particular event, and one of my friends was like you still have it....and I was like I keep all my Coach bags! Wouldn't someone do the same for an Hermes?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Thanks Fandesacs2003 for the confirmation:

Zonk, I always keep my handbags, too. They are good quality, 'classic' bags and I love them, but only a couple are 'expensive': Launer.

There is a proper thread for my observations, and on which I will now make them, but let me just say here that even if it is an old bag, it still has some considerable value I am sure and I just find it inappropriate that Sarah still has these status symbols to flash around when some of her staff [the poorly paid ones] only recieved a proportion of what they were owed on the agreement that Sarah reached with them...... anyway, I am off to make my point elsewhere on this forum..

Alex
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Regarding the first picture: no excuse for no makeup and unbrushed/combed hair. Many of the other pictures: too much cleavage, bare arms and tight dresses, oh, and shiny fabrics ..... sigh! Again, pictures of her clutching her daughters. I'm beginning to wonder if they are trying to run away and she has them literally in her grip. I wouldn't go to market looking like Sarah on her arrival, one would think she had a modicum of pride ... I guess not.

In fairness, she did look nice in the black dress with lace top and long sleeves.
Well, if Beatrice does go ahead and marry Dave [see other thread] at least that should put an end to Sarah clutching Beatrice's hand.....
Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Fergie in a cheap looking pink dress clashing with her non-styled hair ...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...09_634x635.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...41_196x696.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I love the dresses, especially Beatrices. The color scheme goes together nicely. I like it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/4l4kee.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/33cvy86.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2hdsmwx.jpg
First dress- Love the color, though not on Fergie, and the dress is ill- fitting, and cheap looking!
2nd set of pics- What is wrong with these pictures: Everything!
Except the colors.
Bea's is too short.
Sarah's is ill-fitting, too long, and makes her look fat.

Quote:
The thread hadnt been updated for a while (because of people refusing to somehow link "Sarah Ferguson" and "style")?

Anyway, there are rare occasions when it isnt THAT bad. At least sometimes she brushes her hair and uses some make up.

August 2011
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...42_634x770.jpg
I actually LOVE what all 3 women wore here, for once!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Courtier

I like the black outfit too. It's the only one I like. Her hair was done nicely in that photo.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Fergie in a cheap looking pink dress clashing with her non-styled hair ...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...09_634x635.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...41_196x696.jpg
Eugenie looked gorgeous in that dress, definitely outshines her sister and her mother (which isn't too hard).

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012

Tags
fashion and style, sarah duchess of york