The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Just too tight, otherwise great choice

Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

For a dress that was custom made for her by Swedish designer Ida Lanto, it certainly could have been perfection. It was a far cry from that.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I like the colour of Sofia's latest dress, but that's about it. As others have pointed out the fit isn't great, it appears to be too tight for Sofia.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Perhaps if you are going to wear that style of dress it needs to be made with a little 'give' or 'stretch' in the material. I loved the feminine finish and the gorgeous colour of the dress but in all truth, I am not into closely fitted maternity clothes as IMO they rarely flatter the wearer.

It is unfortunate that Sofia appears to have had quite an increase in bump size between when she bought it and when she wore it. Still, it was definitely better than had she worn a sausage casing!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Perhaps if you are going to wear that style of dress it needs to be made with a little 'give' or 'stretch' in the material. I loved the feminine finish and the gorgeous colour of the dress but in all truth, I am not into closely fitted maternity clothes as IMO they rarely flatter the wearer.

It is unfortunate that Sofia appears to have had quite an increase in bump size between when she bought it and when she wore it. Still, it was definitely better than had she worn a sausage casing!
I agree. And also, depending on how the baby is situated at that exact moment or swelling or if you ate more before, a pregnant body can change from hour to hour :P And not only at the stomach area.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh come on. A custom made dress that doesn't allow for eating or a growing baby in uterus? I could understand if it was bought off the rack but she is paying for a custom dress that was a pretty color and that's about it. I apologize if I sound snarky but it is just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Aristocracy

It seems to me that Sofia has had issues figuring out how to dress appropriately for some time now, so no pass for being pregnant from me, seems to just be the status quo now. I'm sure she prides herself on her individuality, and she is of course perfectly entitled to dress any way she likes. And I don't believe in banishing pregnant women to purdah or wearing sacks for sure, having had 4 children myself.
That said, IMO a public figure whose current employment is representing her husband and family should consider more closely examining the basic social niceties, such as not wearing skin tight dresses in church or that people usually dress in subdued colors when attending an event within hours of a relative passing away. I get that she probably had this dress made up days if not weeks beforehand, but I'm sure she has a coat or jacket that she could have worn to tone down the light gray of her dress. It would have also covered all the puckering and wrinkling. She stands out like a sore thumb in this dress, which seems to me to be the goal.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Not my favourite dress, but any highly pregnant woman who can dress upp for an official engagement and walk around in high heels just weeks before the delivery gets a free pass in my book.

So was it great? Nope. Was it inappropriate? Of course it wasn't. No problem in that department.
We have all been there - looks good in the mirror, but not to everybody else. It seems she would have a stylist or even one of sisters/friends or even her husband to be honest with her how a particular outfit looks her. Also, lighting and angles in photos can show a different, non-flattering perspective. But in her defense, she is there, eight months with child, smiling, and genuinely seems happy. With all the world problems, HRH Princess Sofia Kristina of Sweden's wardrobe faux pas is actually nit-picky at best, and why make a fuss over something that is really nothing at all. A beautifully-tailored dress would have still somehow manged to bring complaints from those with nothing better to do but complain. They should do something productive instead. Sofia's wardrobe is Sofia's business ONLY everybody else should always remember - complaints about another's wardrobe only reflects badly on you, not her. Always try to be positive - always ("let he who is without sin cast the first stone").
Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

This is a fashion thread. I am confused when people come here and are shocked by complaints about fashion. Yes there are more serious topics to be spoken of, and they are in other threads. This is a fashion thread, we are here to talk about their clothes No princesses get positive comments on all looks. Victoria and Maddie certainly don't. Victoria's last few dresses were too tight and no one had a problem saying it, and she was much further along.

When you represent a country, how you present yourself in official events, does reflect. She could not have known Johann would die the same day, but she could have added a coat, which would have darkened the look a bit and also hid the fit. A dress that she spent money on, custom designed, could have also fit in a way to take in consideration a change in bump.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Aristocracy

well, I'm positive she doesn't impress me with her dress sense, how's that
Old 03-06-2016, 11:51 PM
Nobility

For that outfit to be custom made, Sofia got ripped off when it came to the fit. She should have demanded a refund.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Personal remarks and the ongoing discussion about whether fashion threads make sense or not have been deleted. This is a place for both positive and negative criticism, but we need to stay within the limits of respectful manners, both towards each other and the people we discuss. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2016, 04:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
It seems to me that Sofia has had issues figuring out how to dress appropriately for some time now, so no pass for being pregnant from me, seems to just be the status quo now. I'm sure she prides herself on her individuality, and she is of course perfectly entitled to dress any way she likes. And I don't believe in banishing pregnant women to purdah or wearing sacks for sure, having had 4 children myself.
That said, IMO a public figure whose current employment is representing her husband and family should consider more closely examining the basic social niceties, such as not wearing skin tight dresses in church or that people usually dress in subdued colors when attending an event within hours of a relative passing away. I get that she probably had this dress made up days if not weeks beforehand, but I'm sure she has a coat or jacket that she could have worn to tone down the light gray of her dress. It would have also covered all the puckering and wrinkling. She stands out like a sore thumb in this dress, which seems to me to be the goal.
IMO Sofia's maternity choices have been every bit as successful and "OMG what was she thinking" as both her sister-in-laws. This particular dress is grey and as such is perfectly proper for wearing on this occasion seeing that she is only related to the deceased by marriage.

However, Queen Silvia's did not get a caning for her gorgeous, but brilliantly bright, sapphire suit. It was obviously deemed perfectly acceptable for the occasion. Had it not been, she has a whole closet to raid to find the perfect demi-mourning ensemble. And she would have had it been necessary!

I believe it is grossly unfair to penalise Sofia's fashion choice on this occasion and ignore that of Queen Silvia. Silvia's ensemble set the tone.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:35 AM
Serene Highness

I agree marg the Queen was dressed in bright blue how is that appropriate for mourning. Sofia's dress was fine she has looked o.k for most of her events nothing spectacular just appropriate.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I really don't understand some statements in your text.

You state that she has had some problems with dressing appropriately. I would like to know what you base this statement on. What do you, for example, know about what is considrered appropriate in a Swedish Church?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

Do you see anyone else in that church wearing skin tight clothing? And it's not the first time she has worn skin tight clothing in a church. It screams 'look at me'. That is what I'm basing my 'inappropriate' comment on. The color is also too light, the Queen's dress is much more subdued. Also, it doesn't matter if it was a relative by marriage, no one else in the front row wore light colors. It would have been an easy thing to put a coat or jacket on.
I haven't called anyone else out on their opinions which I don't agree with. These are my opinions and I'm entitled to them. I don't feel the need to debate my opinions, thank you.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness

I don't know where the "skin tight" label is coming from. It is snug around the belly, but there is nothing short of walking around in a teepee that will avoid that. The same is probably true of the bust area.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
I don't know where the "skin tight" label is coming from. It is snug around the belly, but there is nothing short of walking around in a teepee that will avoid that. The same is probably true of the bust area.

Not just the belly and bust, but the upper arms, wrists, knees even! Most of the dress is clinging to her. I think around the knee/thigh area is actually what's bothering me the most tbh, it looks like she's hobbled by her dress, something I've noticed with other designs she wears...it looks so inelegant and silly to me. A couple of inches more fabric all around would have lifted the dress so much...I feel like a broken record with so many of her looks, I keep thinking: there's Sofia, standing out again (and not in a good way). Again and always, JMO.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Do you see anyone else in that church wearing skin tight clothing? And it's not the first time she has worn skin tight clothing in a church. It screams 'look at me'. That is what I'm basing my 'inappropriate' comment on. The color is also too light, the Queen's dress is much more subdued. Also, it doesn't matter if it was a relative by marriage, no one else in the front row wore light colors. It would have been an easy thing to put a coat or jacket on.
I haven't called anyone else out on their opinions which I don't agree with. These are my opinions and I'm entitled to them. I don't feel the need to debate my opinions, thank you.
Skin tight? I'm not sure if we're talking about the same dress here. But let's assume that we are. Why would it be a problem to wear a tight dress in a swedish church? I worked in the Church of Sweden for many years, and I don't see anything inappropriate here.

I do agree that she could have worn a coat, but that's just because it's still winter and quite cold here in Sweden. I hope she doesn't get sick.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:31 AM
Aristocracy

Frankly, I don't care were you've worked, and trying to interject 'church of Sweden' into the discussion is simply an effort to sidetrack. The dress is skin tight to the point that it pulls, puckers and wrinkles, you have to have blinders on not to see that it is poorly fitted, poorly chosen and messy. My first reaction when I saw it was to roll my eyes and think 'so typical'. I really do try to see the good in her style, sometimes it's kind of okay, most of the time I'm left wondering what she was thinking. Yes, Victoria and Madeleine have had some really hideous outfits, but they're few and far between. Sofia has me shaking my head a good 80% of the time. I think I'll step away from this discussion now as I'm sure we won't see eye to eye and I'm tired of explaining the obvious.

Tags
princess sofia, princess sofia fashion, princess sofia maternity wear, princess sofia pregnancy style, princess sofia style, royal fashion