The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-05-2016, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
I agree with Pranter, it looks like cheap 1970s lame fabric, the kind you would see on every young 'Dancing Queen' at the local disco back then (maybe that's the 'disco ball' feeling you're talking about):

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/179018153915854706/

It's so thin and just inexpensive looking IMO. I know it's the thing nowadays to show off that baby bump, and kudos for her being confident enough to do it, I just think there are lots of nicer ways of showing the bump without looking like you're going to pop a seam when you sit down.

Again, just my old-fashioned opinion.
We must be around the same or from the same era <G>

LaRae (Go Bama!)

Old 02-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

The dress looks delightful its a great color and I think the shine is appropriate and doesn't overwhelm. Not loving the tiara or hair, but I'm happy she isn't smiling with her teeth.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It seems to be the fashion for evening dresses to be so long that they drag along the ground like that. It looks ridiculous to me. Imagine how dirty the hem could get!
I think it is likely one of the problems with borrowing a friend's dress, you cant really have it hemmed/tailored to fit your body. Borrowing someone else's dress really only works well if you have the same body type (heigh and size) or it come off too long and slightly tight.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I think it is likely one of the problems with borrowing a friend's dress, you cant really have it hemmed/tailored to fit your body. Borrowing someone else's dress really only works well if you have the same body type (heigh and size) or it come off too long and slightly tight.

True, but take a look at recent 'red carpet' photos. For some unknown reason, designers have decided that a puddling/pooling effect is stylish (rather than foolish). That being said, I think Sofia looks fabulous.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The dress looks delightful its a great color and I think the shine is appropriate and doesn't overwhelm. Not loving the tiara or hair, but I'm happy she isn't smiling with her teeth.
I had the same thoughts. Dress is good. The tiara and hair, not so great.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Majesty

I quite like Sofia's ensemble and, if it was borrowed, good for her. Like most eveningwear, I find watching the video much more enlightening.

Se filmen från kungamiddagen! | Svensk Damtidning
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Nobility

I agree the video shows the dress much better than the photos. I also have noticed the Royal gowns of late have had the pooling effect at the hemline.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, the videos make a big difference. Thank you for posting the link, Marg.

As I thought, the fabric is not light, it seems to have some weight and falls well. I like the dress.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Its not true it was borrowed from the friend who was reported, Carolina. But that is the identical dress to one of her other friends wore to her wedding. So she either borrowed it or bought a duplicate which if she was going to spend the money on a new gown, I don't see her buying an identical gown.
Thank you for the info! I still don't like it and frankly I don't care if she borrowed the dress. That's not important to me, but that dress is utterly ugly IMO and doesn't flatter the curves of a pregnant woman!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Courtier

I like the dress - she looked lovely although the hem is a little long.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Serene Highness

I liked the dress it fit her, it was too long but then it wasn't her dress so she couldn't hem it.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think Sofia's silver dress looks nice and not too cheap. She looks gorgeous and is rocking that tiara.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think she is rocking that tiara at all. Not at all flattering with her center part.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
I don't think she is rocking that tiara at all. Not at all flattering with her center part.

Said it before and I'll say it again...I admire Sofia's loyalty to her Friend, but either that friend gets a Hairstyles and Proper Placement of Tiaras course from whomever does the Gala/Formal White Tie Events hair for the other Royal Women of the SRF and now, or she's got to use someone else for Tiara Events.

The real shame of it here is that IMO this Sofia's best Formal Event look since the Wedding. The Dress looked amazing on her and you could see where lil HRH is...hiding out for now...but not skin tight, therefore obvious, bit also not in it's way thanks to the design. ITA about the hem, but as has been mentioned, that seems to be the trend this Season, as many of the Dresses seen worn at the Golden Globes and SAG Awards also had the pooling effect.

I hate this new trend, as it seems to be an accident just waiting to happen to someone, but especially for Formal Maternity Wear. If it's true it was a borrowed gown, then not much could be done, but still a shame as it would have been a knock out look.

Even w/those two quibbles though, Sofia really did look stunning the other night. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again...I admire Sofia's loyalty to her Friend, but either that friend gets a Hairstyles and Proper Placement of Tiaras course from whomever does the Gala/Formal White Tie Events hair for the other Royal Women of the SRF and now, or she's got to use someone else for Tiara Events.

The real shame of it here is that IMO this Sofia's best Formal Event look since the Wedding. The Dress looked amazing on her and you could see where lil HRH is...hiding out for now...but not skin tight, therefore obvious, bit also not in it's way thanks to the design. ITA about the hem, but as has been mentioned, that seems to be the trend this Season, as many of the Dresses seen worn at the Golden Globes and SAG Awards also had the pooling effect.

I hate this new trend, as it seems to be an accident just waiting to happen to someone, but especially for Formal Maternity Wear. If it's true it was a borrowed gown, then not much could be done, but still a shame as it would have been a knock out look.

Even w/those two quibbles though, Sofia really did look stunning the other night. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
It's a funny thing about dresses that pool. I am not a germaphobe usually, but when I wear something with a hem that drags - it grosses me out. And that and tripping were the first things I thought about the look. Then I decided it was really cute.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
It's a funny thing about dresses that pool. I am not a germaphobe usually, but when I wear something with a hem that drags - it grosses me out. And that and tripping were the first things I thought about the look. Then I decided it was really cute.
I agree. Unless one knows one will always be indoors gliding across polished and clean floors, a dragging hem is not the way to go. The possibility of tripping is no minor matter, either. But if both those aspects were accounted for satisfactorily for Sofia, then why not.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

Do you think Sofia went home and frantically tried to wash the hem in the powder room sink, using Woolite?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is usually protective fabric strategically placed to allow for wear and tear (though my experience may not be the usual or universal). Palace Cleaners must know what's what.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Very lovely the Sofia today in event the Royal Swedish Academy. The red dress beautiful but just me personally I do not particularly like so tight.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5916514683.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5913657221.jpg
Old 02-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I think she's outgrown that dress. It is a nice dress but for a much taller woman, imo.
She cant carry off that dress length, at least not right now. The jacket is not a good length for her either, imo, but at least she is saving money not buying a lot of new maternity coats.

Tags
princess sofia, princess sofia fashion, princess sofia maternity wear, princess sofia pregnancy style, princess sofia style, royal fashion