The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Whatever Marie wears is mosty acceptable (at least to me) since she always looks happy and smiles a lot. A lot of ladies watch every little detail and their outfits may look perfect on a manequin or hanging in a closet, but are either pouty or look like they are bored and the whole appearance is miserable.
Marie made some mistakes but overall she has her own style and always looks radiant and happy to be wherever she finds herself to be. That is what class is all about.
I agree that what you radiate is important for your look, but now she is not only Marie but Princess Marie of Denmark, she is not there to show us how happy she is wearing a sack of potatoes, but to represent her new country. That is why details are important, the royal family is the face of Denmark.

Yes the color was more of the same, but I don't mind the dress much, I even think we can overlook the accident of the bra/adjustment, cause it looks like her bosom didn't fit in the dress well. Is understandable that her body is changing and last minute alterations are required.

The nail polish is terrible, tacky, hideous as you have said I don't even wanna start ranting about it. The purse and the hair do are acceptable I guess, what I liked about the upper hair do is that it gives the impression she is a bit taller than she is standing next to Joachim.

I've said this before in the forums,it doesn't seem that Marie uses a stylist. IMO she goes by her gut (perhaps too sure of the cliche that Frenches are supposed to know couture and style), but it takes her to horrible places.

And the most horrible thing of the ensemble: Joachim's jacket

Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

HOw would Marie know that her lingerie or body thing whatever you want to call it was sticking out. Accidents do happen and it might have showed when she moved or lifted her arm up and dress moved down abit.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Please leave Princess Mary (& her fans etc) out of this conversation as they are not the topic conversation - that's Princess Marie's Maternity fashion

Thanks,
marmi
RHoF Moderator
Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Courtier

I agree. This has nothing to do with Mary. Princess Marie, on the other hand, is fairly new to the royal circuit, has had a very eventful year with a wedding, a new language, a pregnancy, and lots of press, who anxiously await her events. No matter what she wears, she is a very lovely lady, petite, who emanates a glowing smile and, as her pregnancy advances, a true radiance about her. She looks good, healthy, and very happy. Comments are directed at her assembling a working wardrobe that reflects the position in which she finds herself as part of the royal family of Denmark.

She does carry herself well, but sometimes overdoes elements of her attire. This last time it was the bit of black showing under her arm and the awful nail polish that spoiled, in my opinion, any attempt to look royal. I wasn't aware of other princesses doing the same. I think I may have seen deep shades of red, but certainly not purple.

I'd also like to respond to the comment about Joachim, who does look thin. I hope there is nothing to worry about health wise.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Courtier

I am not one of Marie's fans BUT I do think that she is beautiful. She has a great figure and has carried her pregnancy well. She seems to make Joachim happy and that is the most important.
However, she just doesn't have any fashion sense. She dresses poorly and inappropriately - clothes that don't fit well and she has a yen for tight clothes. Her choice of colors and fabrics and styles is pretty bad.
That is just fine for the everyday young woman, but Marie does represent the Danish monarchy. She should be expected to dress appropriately for the occasion. She is not a teenager any more. What may look cute and endearing to Joachim is not what should be worn for an official event. Even pregnant, she could look fabulous. There are plenty of beautiful maternity styles available.
Any fashion help offered to her should be gladly accepted.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Courtier

I like the colour of the dress and her hair and makeup look beautiful, BUT the dress looks like she picked it off the rack in a high school formal gown shop. I don't know why but it just looks cheap. Sorry.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Royal Highness

Was it the same dress as in the new years gala? as far as I remember it is the same colour scheme.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
HOw would Marie know that her lingerie or body thing whatever you want to call it was sticking out. Accidents do happen and it might have showed when she moved or lifted her arm up and dress moved down abit.
I don't follow the Danish royals too closely but even if Joachim and Marie lives in a farm house, I would assume they would have at least one full length mirror. Not sure about exactly how royals go about preparing to face the public and cameras, but if any of my GFs are to go by, they would have checked their outfits front-left-right-back, lift the arms, mover around, and do a few turns in front of a mirror (full length or not) before going out their bedroom door. And before they get out the front door, they would have asked several times "how do I look".
Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Was it the same dress as in the new years gala? as far as I remember it is the same colour scheme.
No, it's not the same dress.
New Year's Gala
Recent Gala

Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Gentry

it's an empire style dress perfect for a pregnant woman
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I like this last gala dress. She looks much better than Mary in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle 53 View Post
it's an empire style dress perfect for a pregnant woman
Yes, and very elegant as well. Reminds me of Empress Josefine of France
Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I still believe we are being more critical of Marie than it is warranted. It is true she is a member of the Royal Family and an important part of it and from what we have seen so far, she never embarrassed anyone in any way. Perhaps some think the nail polish was tacky and the dress looked cheap and I am trying to fnd a larger picture to have another look at it to see why I do not see what others see. I am aware we cannot get into comparisons between her and other ladies but that black piece of cloth that is under her arm could be part of a maternity bra designed to "hold it all in". I highly doubt she went to a gala with a torn undergarment someone had to sew in a hurry.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Majesty

I tend to disagree with you. Cattiness abounds in discussions related to fashion and style. There is plenty of criticism aimed at Crown Princess Letizia for being too fond of a particular kind of shoes, Crown Princess Mette-Marit for wearing totally unflattering outfits, Crown Princess Maxima for not being able to have a polished look or having messy hairstyles, or etc. Onslaught on Princess Marie's ensembles is not all that vigorous. Her fashion choice tend to be unpolished. She may take some time to put her working wardrobe together.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Great. Now that we've established that basically every royal is criticized and not just Marie solely, could some members please get back on topic? Discuss her lastest ensemble and not debate whether or not she is picked on more so than other princesses. If you want to discuss the latter head on over to the Royal House of Denmark sub-forum and proceed from there. In other words, please don't do it here in the Royal House of Fashion.

Thanks.

GT
Royal House of Fashion Mod
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Princess Marie looks absolutely lovely in her latest evening gown. Deep purples and blues suit her very well and they are colour choices I think she should stick to. Pregnancy certainly seems to suit her well and the empire-line design is indeed a perfect choice for someone who is pregnant.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Going back Princess Marie's fashion, I think that she should have worn something similar to Catherine Zeta Jone's Versace dress Fashion Police Files - or Kate Blanchet's Donna Karan dress Cate Blanchett Photos 2004 Golden Globes on Style.com The above dresses have got the main feature Princess Maries tends to favour in gala dresses: a plunging neckline.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Courtier

The two Hollywood dresses mentioned above are far more revealing than Princess Marie should wear, though the sleeves on the Catherine ZJones are very beautiful. They draw attention away from the mid area, which is what she sems to try to do as well in these long gowns.

Purple looks good on her, as does dark blue. I hope with time she will also wear beautiful contrasting colors including dark brown lace over a lighter, or contrasting dress. She is just starting out in this role. Being pregnant as she begins her formal duties has to be taken into account.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Majesty

When pointing at the dresses in question, I have meant an overall look. The black Versace number is quite elegant and has got sleeves, which tend to look far classier than the recent purple dress. The Donna Karan dress is more revealing, but nicely hugs the body. Given Princess Marie's dresses, I would say that the above dresses would suit her. In the worst case scenario, necklines could be ajusted. ... anyway ...it is just my personal subjetcive opinion.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Going back Princess Marie's fashion, I think that she should have worn something similar to Catherine Zeta Jone's Versace dress Fashion Police Files - or Kate Blanchet's Donna Karan dress Cate Blanchett Photos 2004 Golden Globes on Style.com The above dresses have got the main feature Princess Maries tends to favour in gala dresses: a plunging neckline.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6006/100123060.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9931/catherinezetajones03.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
In the first belga pictures Marie's dress looks like it has a dark blue colour.
In other pictures you can see that it's a nice shade of purple.

http://i42.tinypic.com/35brp74.jpg

source: Polfoto
Marie's empire style dress is thousand times better (IMO) than these Hollywood starlet's evening dresses, perhaps because I am French and that's not our style, but I hate this kind of shiny satin dresses with this ridiculous necklines... always the same, without class, it's like in "Dallas or Dynasty"
i hope Marie never wear this kind of dresses, sorry

Tags
maternity fashion, princess marie, princess marie fashion, princess marie maternity fashion