Princess Marie's Maternity Fashion: November 2008 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This blue gown for the official pictures is very lovely, elegant, and has a rich color - jewel toned. It looks regal, and she carried herself very well in it.

There are some pictures with Princess Marie looking up to Prince Joachim (they are little cameo pictures of those who contribute comment or questions). I have not seen this picture in the ones posted officially, and wonder what the source might be. It is a lovely picture of the two of them.

This blue gown for the official pictures is very lovely, elegant, and has a rich color - jewel toned. It looks regal, and she carried herself very well in it.

There are some pictures with Princess Marie looking up to Prince Joachim (they are little cameo pictures of those who contribute comment or questions). I have not seen this picture in the ones posted officially, and wonder what the source might be. It is a lovely picture of the two of them.

is this the picture you are referring to - it is indeed very sweet

She doesn't even look pregnant in that gown.
On this shot posted by PoE yes she doesn't but on the others she looks. Specially on these when she is closer.

No, she doesn't look very pregnant in the gown or in the pictures, but that was in January. We are now almost in April and things change drastically at the end of a pregnancy. She looked more pregnant in the purple gown.

Wonder what she will wear to the upcoming event.

Last edited:
Oh, no! This coat reminds me of the "Tin Man" suit she wore on one of her first public outings. And just to state the obvious, she is really, really pregnant!

Overall appearance is all right. However, a pillbox hat looked odd.

I do not think that Marie is "unpolished" or has bad taste in clothes. I do, however, think that she has a bad tailor. The vast majority of her clothes do not fit her well.
the sleeves are either too long, the shirt to tight around her bust, her pants to wide for her petite figure or too long.
As for her evening dresses, I pretty much think she has the same problem. The dresses themselves are very nice, but they just don't seem to fit her properly.
And she also needs to work on her hair. For example, the above pictures posted of her in her military style jacket, pants, and hat. The jacket looks way to long in the sleeve area, the pants to big and baggy, and if she had tied her hair back or pinned it up, she may have had better luck pulling off the outfit. As it is, she looks very frumpy in the outfit, the hat looks too small and out of place on her head, and that the outfit is wearing her.
You can buy just about anything, pricey or cheap, designer or off the rack, and no matter what you figure or taste, you can make it look good. But if it does not fit you properly, the whole look can literally go to hell in a handbag! :)

that was a good choice of maternity coat today but i dont like the silly hat thing

I like the military look of the hat and the coat. She matched the uniformed family members. ;)

I quite agree :). I have liked this coat when she wore it in the past, the colour and style are ones I appreciate.
I also think the colour was a good choice given how much of the rest of the family were in uniform.

The hat did look a bit odd, with too much long hair trailing behind it. However, she is really really pregnant, and it was to her credit that she made an effort to attend any scheduled event.

Perhaps she needs to address the material of her clothing as well as the proportion of her very wide bottomed slacks.

I love the hat - it's different. I think that if she had worn her hair back or in a chignon, she would have looked too severe. She's got great hair.

The coat - being a light color - is going to make Marie look gigormous. Maybe if the coat were a gray color, it would have looked better.
Marie seems to favor shiny fabrics which when used in a tailored outfit make the outfit look cheap. Shiny fabric and shiny buttons - it's too much. This military style coat in a gabardine or wool fabric would look so much better.

The hat is quite cute but doesnt work with open hair. The outfit isnt bad but quite boring when you can get nicer maternity cloths.

The fabric of the maternity trench coat (if that is what it's supposed to be) seems too light - not in color, but actual weight of fabric, or "hand". If you notice, the standup collar doesn't meet properly, and the whole thing is too shiny, or comes across as shiny in pictures.

This would have been a good opportunity for her to wear more clunky heels, rather than the spikes. After all, many were in army boots. In one picture, she looked down nervously at the stairs she had to descend. Thank goodness, Joachim was there for support, as her left hand was holding that little envelope handbag and would have been useless had she taken a fall.

It was obvious that she really couldn't see where the steps were due to her advanced pregnancy.

A bit of common sense with the shoes might have helped out. Isn't there anyone around to give her advice???

Marie looks wonderful pregnant.
I don't think she dresses badly. She has a cute style. She is not as elegant and stylish as others, but she always looks charming.

There is no question that she herself has a charming way about her, a lovely smile. However, her sense of style is a bit off when attending official events. It is important for her to realize that she is in a priviliged position in terms of royal status. This carries with it a degree of decorum, good taste, and well though out wardrobe, that reflects that privilege. Clothes should not only fit well, but should be made of quality materials that does not wrinkle easily, look flimsy, and should be well finished.

Her first year has been a learning year. Surely now that she has almost been through a full cycle of official engagements, she has a better idea of what these are all about, how to dress for them, and what is expected.

It has been a full year, what with spending time learning about her new country, the new language, in addition to going through her pregnancy, which has also affected her clothing choices.

Joachim shows support and careful attention to her. This is nice to see. I'm sure it will all come together and we should not be too harsh.

April 4, 2009 - Marie attending a concert in a lovely beige/dusty pink flowy top with black pants and black jacket.

Close Up ** Full View

Putting a black top underneath a beige/dusty pink flowy top looks awkward to me. As for the rest, Princess Marie looks usual.

April 4, 2009 - Marie attending a concert in a lovely beige/dusty pink flowy top with black pants and black jacket.

Close Up ** Full View

Is that the picture or her face features changed? Although its normal for a woman in first pregnance.
The outfit is usual - classic Marie - nothing special but nice.

She probably is retaining some water and looks a little puffy in the face. Many women look a little rounder in the face when pregnant.

The outfit is signature Marie. It is not a formal event of any kind. One can picture the top without being a maternity top. Her shoes are plain, and a little heavier heel than spikes. Nice choice.

She looks fine. Is this the last event on her schedule before the birth? It's only a few weeks away now. She looks round in the middle, I'm guessing a girl.

i love marie's look. the outfit is nicely put together and marie looks well polished what has not always been the case in the past.

sometimes i think people expect too much from her. her role in the monarchy is rather low profile, pregnant or not she is not supposed to work much. she probably doesn't feel the need or doesn't have the energy to "dress up to perfection" like mary, who is a cp and future queen. i am not even sure marie would have been keen to marry joachim in case he was cp because she is not in it for the royal fame & work, too exhausting, but to lead a priviliged family life as much out of the public eye as possible. unfortunately this attitude shows on the rare top class occasions, where marie appears to be a bit "unpolished" at times, lacking a sense of dressing / underestimating the importance of good tailoring or quality of clothes for the top occasion, and it doesn't seem to come naturally to her. therefore it is no surprise that marie doesn't even show interest in the marie / mary competition that is forced upon her by the media. i don't blame her but even though she is a low profile princess, she is still a princess and should live up to the standard a bit more from time to time.

The pale pink top is a good look for Marie at this stage in her pregnancy

This pink top has a lingerie look to it - many of her clothes have this type of look -

I like what she wore: cute, romantic but still profesionnal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom