The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

What I loved about Princess Grace and many women of their "era" was they weren't afraid to just do what they wanted with their hair and jewels and clothes.Now, it seems there is not as much personal expression in style. Especially here in the US, everyone wants to look like a jean clad soccer mom. I love Princess Grace style, even when she was dressed down, there was an elegance to it!!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

She was naturally elegant, no doubt.
She was very elegant, yet simple at oscars, for example. I liked that dress so much on her

Old 10-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Rubies, I agree the Princesses and Queens of yester year did seem to CREATE something about the way they looked for the public, down to the last detail. Most of today's royality rely of major fashions houses to create for them.

Back it time, it seems as if the creative process started with the PERSON first instead of the FASHION first, as it is today, just my observation though....
Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Courtier

http://up.iranblog.com/3/1256883386.jpg
Grace Kelly pictured with her sister, Elizabeth, and her brother, John B Kelly Jr, at Henley Royal Regatta, Henley-on-Thames in 1948. Photo: Getty Images
Old 10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Gentry

I just found this thread and is is truly amazing!
I just saw photographs here that I had never seen before, so thank you all for posting them here!!!

queenofthelight just when I thought I had seen every picture of Princess Grace her amazing wardrobe (taken for the exhibition, Les Annees Grace Kelly, Princess de Monaco) you surpised me!!

Some of those photographs are not even in the book...thank you so much!!! There is one thing that I don't like and this is models wearing Princess Grace her clothes, it just doesn't feel right to me, but that is just me....

And how great is it that this wonderfull woman is honored 27 years after her death, her legacy lives on!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Grace's style was unforgettable and classic (1959-62):

http://i37.tinypic.com/nmnvis.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/20hkdhh.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/1zn0710.jpg
Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Glamorous Grace:
http://i50.tinypic.com/de8jle.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/6fnme8.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2me915l.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qun711.jpg
Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUBIAUR View Post
Thanks for the pictures, dear Zubiaur! What an impressive coat, the pattern looks very nice together with the fur collar.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Grace Kelly Style Icon

Source: viewlondon.co.uk

I hope you'll be happy to hear this information:
Grace Kelly Style Icon exhibition is open until September 2010 at Victoria and Albert Museum, highlighting the beautiful clothes and effortless elegance of one of the most popular actresses of the 1950s.
Showcasing a spectacular selection of clothes from the star's wardrobe, this fashion exhibition is certain to be the highlight of the year for many fashionistas in London. Presenting over 50 of Grace Kelly's outfits, along with some of her accessories, visitors to the Victoria and Albert Museum are able to revel in the style and glamour of an era gone by, represented by one of the most fashionable icons of her time.
17 April 2010 -26 September 2010, 10am - 5.45pm, Victoria and Albert Museum.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Serene Highness

She was really beautiful and their clothes were amazing
Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Nobility

There is just something I can't put my finger on about Princess Grace - she was so classy, so graceful, so elegant, and even when she would wear her most fancy jewels and furs, she seemed to me to be a bit understated. I am not sure how to convey what I am trying to say, but even at her most glamourous, she didn't give off an ostentatious or over-the-top, in-your-face bling-bling attitude (like so many famous celebrities/actresses of today do). To me she was just simply elegant, naturally beautiful and refined.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quathae View Post
There is just something I can't put my finger on about Princess Grace - she was so classy, so graceful, so elegant, and even when she would wear her most fancy jewels and furs, she seemed to me to be a bit understated. I am not sure how to convey what I am trying to say, but even at her most glamourous, she didn't give off an ostentatious or over-the-top, in-your-face bling-bling attitude (like so many famous celebrities/actresses of today do). To me she was just simply elegant, naturally beautiful and refined.
I understand exactly what you mean - I think one reason she came across in the way you describe is the way she presented herself both in her body language & her general conduct - she was never "look at me" or struck an aggressive /provocative stance. She appeared comfortable to allow others around her to take the limelight. I think this is really noticeable on the occasions she was photographed with other famous actresses/stars. Although she was always very conscious of how she photographed , she didnt appear to need to assert her beauty.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Royal Highness

Museum in Monaco

Although it sounds blatantly commercial I have always wondered two things why they have not played all of Grace's films in Monaco at a festival and Why they have not built a museum housing all her clothing- letters- memorabilia-etc,for which there is such an avid audience evidently.I think with the response and respect Grace garners it would be appropriate without compromising the "royal" aspects of it.Al;so the historians of aesthetics could scrutinize and write again - what is of now of historic significance- How a Princess was attired so perfectly that she captured our hearts and imagination.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Although it sounds blatantly commercial I have always wondered two things why they have not played all of Grace's films in Monaco at a festival and Why they have not built a museum housing all her clothing- letters- memorabilia-etc,for which there is such an avid audience evidently.I think with the response and respect Grace garners it would be appropriate without compromising the "royal" aspects of it.Al;so the historians of aesthetics could scrutinize and write again - what is of now of historic significance- How a Princess was attired so perfectly that she captured our hearts and imagination.
I agree.I would like The Grace kelly exhibition,as it was displayed in 2007 in Monaco ,with all dresses,jewels etc,a permanent exhibition in Monaco
http://i46.tinypic.com/vrdlcw.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/352j43c.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/f9qltu.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/200vg2b.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/qmylxw.jpg
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

There is a new national museum opening in Monaco sometime this year. The website is still under construction, but according to the press releases as well as hosting some contemporary art, it will contain exhibits relating to the cultural history of Monaco. We can only hope that there might be a room set aside for the Grimaldi legacy which might include some exhibits belonging to Grace. The success of The Grace Kelly Years exhibition must have given pause for thought in Monaco which is increasingly opening its doors to more commercial/popular tourism & as a year round conference & holiday destination. I would imagine it would keep American visitor numbers to the Principality healthy.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Royal Highness

The first gown is a Ben Zuckerman creation if I am not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUBIAUR View Post
She dressed also in Balenciaga.
http://i42.tinypic.com/v42dr7.jpg
Balenciaga was a bit overpowering imo for the delicacy of her beauty.jmo and I also find Grace not as becoming in curly hair as opposed to straight as a leek look. However she remains a "classic" that is still relevant today fashion wise. I also think impeccable grooming had a big part in her successful appearances.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

Grace's influence on the world of fashion continues to shine:
Guardian article.
I'm sure the forthcoming exhibition will be a real hit.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Grace Kelly's style - Telegraph (01/04/2010).

Fashion Statement: Views on a muse | Life and style | guardian.co.uk
Old 04-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

Grace Kelly's style in Rear Window

Clothes on Film

Tags
fashion and style, princess grace