Late Princess Diana's Eveningwear

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of Princess Diana's Gowns - Pictures

Hi All!

New member and this is my first time posting; please be nice to me! ;)

I'm having a seamstress make me replicas of two of Princess Diana's gowns, she's asked me for as many pictures as possible. I've attached a picture of both I've already found and saved, the blue one is from her trip to Japan in 1986 and the second she wore twice but the most well-known time is from her trip to Saudi Arabia in 1986.

Any pictures that anyone has of these gowns please reply?

Thank you! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Source: Corbs, Getty Images
November 13, 1990-Concert in Tokyo, Japan

December 17, 1991-"Joy to the World" fundraising concert for the Royal Marsden Hospital

Source: Getty Images
February 1, 1996-Performance of La Boheme

November 1, 1993-Gala concert at the Equinox

Source: Corbis, Getty Images
March 23, 1987-Premiere of 84 Charing Cross Road

November 17, 1986-Banquet in Saudi Arabia

Source: Corbis, Getty Images
July 20, 1989-Banquet at Claridges

November 18, 1991-Premiere of "Hot Shots"

October 1, 1985-Gala dinner in Washington D.C.

June 13, 1989-James Bond "A License To Kill" Premiere

October 28, 1985-Gala dinner in Melbourne

November 21, 1985-Birthright Ball

kwanfan said:
1989-Dinner at Claridges
1989-Kuwait
November 3, 1992-The Top of the dress at a state banquet in Korea

Source: Corbis
April 21, 1986-Queen Elizabeth II's 60th Birthday

April 21, 1987-Visit to Spain

May 2, 1986-World Festival of Arts Opera in Canada

Premiere of "Otello" September 22, 1986
Source: "The Royal Family At Home and Abroad" by Trevor Hall (Originally posted by Umbrellagirl)

Source:Getty Images
September 25, 1991-Visit to Pakistan

December 7, 1992-Royal Variety Performance

Welcome to the forum Princessjamie!:)

I don't know if they will help but here are a couple of pictures of Diana in the lilac dress.

Good luck with the dresses. I'd love to see pictures of them when they are made.

Photos: from the book "The Princess of Wales in Japan" (photographers not mentioned)

The blueish dress is a nice colour, but don't those butterfly sleeves look so Eighties? Very Imelda Marcos. :D

A reminder: all pics must be posted via a picture hosting agency such as Photobucket, Imageshack etc.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Diana's Dresses

this link gives you a great look at diana's gowns. amazing to think how big her closet must have been! i liked diana best in the sheath style dresses because of her height and slim figure. the only full skirted dress i liked her in was the one with the plaid skirt. also, so nice to see some of the ones she never wore in public.

http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/gg/auction1to10.html

coppertop1 said:
I'm looking for the outfit she wore to the Alice in Wonderland Balet in 1996, before her divorce. She had a new hairdo and everything. It was a cream shirt and clingy. She looked beautiful, then again, she always did. Anyone have this? Anyone know which one I mean

Yes, the cream with gold embroidery dress - looks like it's in post #12 in the Diana Recycles Outfits thread!

Thanks!

I really apprecaite the responses!

Also, I am very sorry about breaking the forum rules on the picture postings, I will be sure to keep those in mind in the future and follow them.

The picture of the black and white gown I got off of Getty Images. The picture of the blue gown I got off of Webshots.

Last edited:
I can't remember the full story for that white gown on the right that Lady Jean just posted. I know she is at the state banquet for Queen Beatrix in November 1982. I don't think she ever wore this one again. Was it a borrowed gown?

According to Suzy Menkes in "Royal Jewels"it was a last-minute replacement for what she intended to wear (pink), which would have clashed with the sash. I would have liked to see it on another occasion, but I think you are right, it was a rare "non-recyclable" for some reason. I think it resembles her wedding gown.

Oh that's right - thank you! I guess what I always found confusing is that why didn't Diana know earlier that she would be wearing the Order of Orange sash? Surely it wasn't a last minute decision on the part of Beatrix to give it to her? It's all very weird. Maybe Diana knew she was getting a sash but didn't stop to think that it would be orange??:p

You're right - it does look very similar in style to her wedding gown, doesn't it? Maybe it is an Emanuel dress.

simple pearl strand and (?) crinoline petticoat
photo: Daily Mail Archives

matching headpiece and sleeves
photo: Daily Mail Archives

Spencer tiara and family order
photo: Rex Features, in "Diana, An Extraordinary Life"
by Orbis Publishing Limited

Last edited:
Diana's black velvet cape

October 1981 Nov.1981
photos: (L)Colour Library Intn'l Ltd. "Princess Diana Lady of Fashion"
(R) Daily Mail Archives

1983 Canadian Tour
Photos (L,R): Colour Library Books Ltd. "Charles and Diana Visit Canada"

1985, "A Passage to India" premiere
Photo: Daily Mail Archives

Diana wore this red with gold thread maternity dress on March 14, 1982. Then I think her sister Jane is wearing it at their brother Charles' 21st birthday party (his 21st birthday was 5/20/85). Jane was pregnant at the time, giving birth to Eleanor in late August.
Good photos of both of these events (and the dress) are hard to come by. I do think it is the same dress, given the similarity in the piping detail around the buttons on the bodice, and the pattern of the gold thread. Click on the photos to see the details.
Diana
Colour Library Books, "Princess Diana" by Trevor Hall
Jane and Sarah
Daily Mail

Last edited:
Great thread! I love to see those comparisons!

Australia 1983 and London 1986 - the dress has been changed a bit, but it's the same :):

1678gwk.jpg
1678mz6.jpg

(RM)

A dress Diana wore quite often (another occasion has already been shown in this thread):
1. London 1990 and 2. Nigeria 1990:
25zgydg.jpg
25zgzrp.jpg

(HELLO; RM)

Princess Diana Attending the Ballet- July 27, 1988​

LADY DIANA ATTENDING THE BALLET AT THE COLISEUM THEATER, July 7, 1992

From corbis, acionline, majesty​

Last edited:
March 1, 1989
May 11, 1989
November 3, 1992
From corbis

in Cannes
From majesty, gettyimages

Amira said:
Some of My favorites :)
I don't like red one, it looks cheap (plastic-fantastic) and Princess looks older in it.

But all black dresses and white one are so beautiful (white lace dress from NY is my favourite).
I don't remember black gown form 1 picture, did she wear it only for photosession?

Last edited:
I always like the dress Diana wore either to the US or Canada (I don't remember which). It was a medium-pink velvet dress with ruching up-and-down the chest. Sorry, I don't have any pics to post. I believe it was on the cover of either the C&D tour of America book or C&D tour of North America book.

The cream gown with the gold beadwork, it had a bolero jacket. She first wore it in 1988 to France, then in 1989 to New York. She also wore it in 1990 for posed photographs with the Spencer tiara.
I had the opportunity to see the dress a few years ago in person and it was stunning! And the beadword was so intricate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom