Late Princess Diana's Eveningwear

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dress that Grace was wearing is even more beautiful in person, here in NY there is a Grace, Princess of Monaco exhibit at Sothebys the jewles and dresses this woman wore are breathtaking.

A great idea of Catherine Walker to create this dress for Diana to use in Cannes.

I have a question, on post #10 someone posted a picture of Diana in a Murray Arbeid gown that appears to be black and with this white something on the front of it. I have pictures where she wore it twice. Does anyone have dates for this dress?

Also there is a Victor Edelstein dress in teal green or blue that she must have worn in 1989 because her hair is upswept and another picture I have of her is a portrait of her in a tiara? Any dates where she has her hair up? Thank you

Also there is a Victor Edelstein dress in teal green or blue that she must have worn in 1989 because her hair is upswept and another picture I have of her is a portrait of her in a tiara? Any dates where she has her hair up? Thank you

Was that a one-shoulder gown? I have seen two versions of what you discribed, both on formal occasions with the Spencer tiara and emeral choker. They were all from 1988, one from July and another from October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Victor Edelstein dress

It has this huge bustle in the back. and has an almost shawl collar but it is off the shoulder. She is wearing her emerald and diamond choker and the emerald and diamond drop earrings, her hair is upswept. Edelstein said he designed the gown for her in the 80's as she asked for a very grand evening dress. Hope that helps a bit.

I have another request, boy you guys are going to get sick of me. Does anyone have a picture of Diana attending the premiere of "Hannah & Her Sisters" on 7-30-86? I suppose this should go under film premieres but it would be great if someone had the picture and could post it.

I'm in the middle of redoing my scrapbook for the umpteenth time. I have a picture of a burgundy velvet off the shoulder evening gown tha I have seen as being from Brisbane, Australia in 1988 and also the French embassy in 1988. She is wearing a pearl choker w/o the sapphire, different choker I think,. The dress kind of criscrosses (sp) on the front of the dress. Her hair is a little shorter. Can anyone help? Thanks

I'm in the middle of redoing my scrapbook for the umpteenth time. I have a picture of a burgundy velvet off the shoulder evening gown tha I have seen as being from Brisbane, Australia in 1988 and also the French embassy in 1988. She is wearing a pearl choker w/o the sapphire, different choker I think,. The dress kind of criscrosses (sp) on the front of the dress. Her hair is a little shorter. Can anyone help? Thanks

Is this it : Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I think the dress is lot #25 on auction21to30

I have a photo of her in the burgundy gown from 6th Dec 1989 for a charity gala. The note didn't specify for which charity.

To the best of my knowledge, that's the only occasion this burgundy dress was worn in public, and very few photos of it exist.
The gown is one of Catherine Walker's misses, I'd say - the gathering of velvet looks cumbersome.
But what a great link to a site with many rare pics, thank you Incas!

I dedicated 1 h to see all the photos from this forum and my only comment can be: "Princess Di, we miss not only you as person but also your style and glamour...."

Is four times a record for any dress?

There was a cherise/red gown with a cowl that she wore quite a bit during the early 90s. She also wore her blue day dress with brightly coloured flowers quite a bit.:)

Is four times a record for any dress?

Thank Mermaid1962, I've been watching with interest Camilla's 'recycling' and the attention it receives in the press

I am not surprised that people are cautious about bidding for the dress. I can not help, but wonder how a seller can prove that the dress is authentic.

There was a cherise/red gown with a cowl that she wore quite a bit during the early 90s. She also wore her blue day dress with brightly coloured flowers quite a bit.:)
The red gown with the cowl I think you are referring to was IMO one of her most stunning gowns, she would wear it with different jewels and it always looked wonderful. I wish the Princess's of today wore dresses like that!!

I loved her Elvis dress. I thought that one was stunning.

Is there a picture of her wearing the cherise/red gown with the cowl?

I am not surprised that people are cautious about bidding for the dress. I can not help, but wonder how a seller can prove that the dress is authentic.
I would think it would be quite easy, if the dress is authentic, to establish provenance. If for example it was purchased at the auction you would have a receipt from the auction house. If it was then resold, a notarized bill of sale would establish the change in ownership. As far as no bids, there may have been a very high reserve price.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom