Late Princess Diana's Eveningwear

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has already been covered ( I did search on this thread and it didn't seem to be have been), and I will read through this thread page by page when I get the time, but the blue Versace dress she wore for that photo shoot with Patrick Demarchelier ( when she had her hair slicked back), anyone know the history of that dress? I know she never wore it in public, maybe she did in private. Was it one she owned or borrowed? Sorry if this has been asked before, but direct me to the right place if it has.

some more pics

Can the poster (awhile back) who had photos of the black and white dress ( Murray Arbeid) that Diana wore twice post the photos, as that pic is small? Anyone know anything more about this rarely seen dress?

She is stunning as always.Beautiful brillant ball gown.Thanks queenofthelight:flowers:

Sorry if this has already been covered ( I did search on this thread and it didn't seem to be have been), and I will read through this thread page by page when I get the time, but the blue Versace dress she wore for that photo shoot with Patrick Demarchelier ( when she had her hair slicked back), anyone know the history of that dress? I know she never wore it in public, maybe she did in private. Was it one she owned or borrowed? Sorry if this has been asked before, but direct me to the right place if it has.

My gut instinct says it was a borrow, but I can't say for 100% and I don't think I've ever read about it. I really liked the dress and the straps especially but I didn't like her hair slicked down. I thought it gave her an odd Wallis Simpson look.

It was such a lovely dress- it would have looked so nice on her in public. I know she never wore it in public, if she even owned it- that photo was taken in 1992 I think. Also, does anyone know about the black glittery dress she also wears with her hair slicked back ( might be same photo shoot)? It appears in Diana: The Portrait Book.

My gut instinct says it was a borrow, but I can't say for 100% and I don't think I've ever read about it. I really liked the dress and the straps especially but I didn't like her hair slicked down. I thought it gave her an odd Wallis Simpson look.
On the other hand I couldn't bear it when her hair was all puffed up and wavy, people who met her said it gave an impression of having a too big head for her body. I guess balance is the key...

I have never seen the salmon colored (or pink) chiffon dress in the background - not included in the Christie's sale either. Is it one of Diana's at all?
It would be interesting indeed to know in which context the pics were taken, queenofthelight.

Beautiful videos to remember.In the first one,we can see the miniature of her wedding dress and I have this miniature, because I have a collection of Franklin Mint Princess Diana´s dolls.The miniature wedding dress is perfectly done as well as others Diana´s dresses in miniature.Thanks queenofthelight for the videos.They are great:flowers:

Whatever happened to the Emanual black evening dress that was so revealing that she wore to that event where she met Princess Grace? It would have been a great dress to sell at the Christie's sale because it was so famous, even though otherwise it maybe wasn't one of her more spectactular dresses. Maybe I read somewhere what happened to it, but maybe not.

I have never seen the salmon colored (or pink) chiffon dress in the background - not included in the Christie's sale either. Is it one of Diana's at all?
It would be interesting indeed to know in which context the pics were taken, queenofthelight.

Those pictures you are referring to have come from the Victoria and Albert musuem where the Elvis dress is nowon show - the pink chiffon dress is by Chloe and not Diana's it is just part of the exhibition
below is my own picture that i took when i saw the dress in July 2006
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1346/p1000064b.jpg

Attachments

• P1000064.jpg
    P1000064.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
The second ball gown is very original ,in black and white.Thanks for posting them ,queenofthelight

I'm not sure, but I believe she wore it couple times, not just once.

The photo posted by queenofthelight was from September 1992 for the premiere of "Just Like A Woman".

That look with the slicked back hair in the last photo you posted wasn't really right for Diana though, and neither was the evening dress. The hairstyle looked okay for a photo shoot, but not an evening event.

That look with the slicked back hair in the last photo you posted wasn't really right for Diana though, and neither was the evening dress. The hairstyle looked okay for a photo shoot, but not an evening event.

Nah i agree with you. It didn't suit Diana. I'm not too found of that dress either. The necklace is addorable. I don't like the decoration for want of a better word around the top of the dress.

The first dress on the other hand in stunning. That has always been one of my favourites along with the blue strapless gown. She looks beautiful in that dress. And the hair is magnificent.
x

I think she was trying to look too modern and edgy with that slicked back hairstyle. She later admitted the hairstyle and dress was a mistake, and never had the designer who designed the dress make anything for her ever again. But that necklace, you are correct, was stunning. Although I think it looked best with the black velvet dress that she wore to dance with John Travolta at the White House.

I didn't like that look either, she looked like she forgot to dry her hair. The dress looked like a slip. The whole image was a bad choice.

I think the dress ( and another dress she wore at the time with her hair normal, but which also looked like a slip, the Galliano for Dior dress that looked like a slip or a nightie) was the style of the time and she thought she should try it. It didn't work out so well. I was wrong above that this was the dress she wore from a designer and then she never wore that designer again. It wasn't. That gown was a slip dress much like this one, but worse, since it also looked like a nightie that she wore with normal hair, in late 1996. That dress was by John Galliano for Dior, and she never used him again. This dress was I thik by Catharine Walker, her long time designer. Still, it wasn't her. It took her TWO slip dresses to figure out the look wasn't for her. After that she admitted the above look was an error and also the other dress I'm refering to, the '' nightie'' dress was an error, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom