Late Princess Diana's Eveningwear

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not know how, and if you do post pictures how do you do so legally?

Hi guys to my knowledge

Tuesday, June 29, 1993: (David Sassoon/Lorcan Mullany: Black long draped slip-dress w/gold embroidered chain shoulder straps & bow at the hip)
(p.m.): Diana, Patron, Chicken Shed Theatre Company, and/or The Trust for Sick Children in Wales, attends a Gala Opening Night of the Kirov Ballet performing “Romeo and Juliet” at the London Coliseum, London WC2

I have this info from my Diana diary that I have on my computer. I'm working on 1993 so that is why I posted it. Hope it helps

Thanks Linmaeylou,
I got the date on the site rexfeatures, but sometimes, the dates aren't correct.

Roseroyal:
Please could you pass the date of the event described in the gettyimages?
In the image that appears as your coordinates, Diana isn't wearing a dress.
This is the photo below appears to me
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

A red sequinned dress designed for Princess Diana by Catherine Walker has sold at auction for £ 98,222 ($111,804) at the 'Gotta Have Rock And Roll' rock and pop, culture auction. The dress worn by Princess Diana in 1995 for a charity dinner while on an Official visit to Buenos Aires, attracted five bids and sold for more than $31,000 over it's highest estimate of $80,000.
Lot Detail - Princess Diana Worn Red Lace Cocktail Dress Ex The Christies Auction, Diana Princess of Wales

In 1997:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

:previous:
I loved that dress and also the red sequined dress Diana wore in Venice, I believe, for a charity event.:flowers:

A red sequinned dress designed for Princess Diana by Catherine Walker has sold at auction for £ 98,222 ($111,804) at the 'Gotta Have Rock And Roll' rock and pop, culture auction. The dress worn by Princess Diana in 1995 for a charity dinner while on an Official visit to Buenos Aires, attracted five bids and sold for more than $31,000 over it's highest estimate of $80,000.

Lot Detail - Princess Diana Worn Red Lace Cocktail Dress Ex The Christies Auction, Diana Princess of Wales

This is one dress I did not like.... but Diana looked great in it anyway!:)

More pictures: Waddington's™ — An Important Auction of Dresses from the Collection of Diana, Princess of Wales. — 23 June 2011

More one dress
A dress designed for Princess Diana by designer Jacques Azagury is being offered for sale on auction site Ebay.
The starry black velvet, royal blue organza evening dress is listed at a 'Buy it Now' price of £15,000.Diana wore this Beautiful Dress to The Mayor's Dinner in Florence in 1985 whilst on a Royal tour of Italy with Prince Charles
JACQUES AZAGURY "Princess Diana Dress" Size 10 | eBay UK

Princess Diana Dresses On View In Times Square
Two of Princess Diana's dresses that are to be auctioned by 'Julien's' Auctions on May 7th, have been on display today in Times Square in New York. Founder Darren Julien attended the display and posed alongside the dresses.
Princess Diana Dresses On View In Times Square - Pictures - Zimbio
These are certainly two dresses that have made Diana stay in our memory forever. I'm very glad they're will be destined for a laudable cause. :)

I'm glad that over a decade after the Christie's auction, the dresses are still raising money for charity, but I also feel some of the owners do it for "show and tell." They could just as easily donate the gowns to clothing museums and donate a generous sum from their own estates to the charities Diana care about. (If they are rich enough to buy couture or high fashion pieces, they are rich enough to donate to charity without throwing a auction benefit.)

I'm glad that over a decade after the Christie's auction, the dresses are still raising money for charity, but I also feel some of the owners do it for "show and tell." They could just as easily donate the gowns to clothing museums and donate a generous sum from their own estates to the charities Diana care about. (If they are rich enough to buy couture or high fashion pieces, they are rich enough to donate to charity without throwing a auction benefit.)
So why not do it for "show and tell"? People have a perfect right to get out of their actions and generosity whatever they want. The same goes for famous art, cars and jewelry. If they are not allowed to do it the way they chose to perhaps they should just keep their money as well and people having issues with it can raise and donate the equivalent amount instead.

I feel that the impact of the original auction has been lost. That now, when people re-auction the gowns, it is to beat an old horse that died long ago, rather than because they have any original ideas about how to raise money for charity. Or donate their own money to charity without the frou-frou of an auction. (And technically, it's not their own money they are donating: it's money from the people who bought the dresses they are re-selling.)

Yes, I'm cynical but I highly doubt these sellers would be giving anything to charity if these weren't the Princess Diana dresses. If they were gowns by Babe Paley, I bet they would sell them and keep the proceeds. Hence, my complaints about the "show-and-tell."

Thanks for sharing. Wow, she hardly ever got it wrong!

I feel that the impact of the original auction has been lost. That now, when people re-auction the gowns, it is to beat an old horse that died long ago, rather than because they have any original ideas about how to raise money for charity. Or donate their own money to charity without the frou-frou of an auction. (And technically, it's not their own money they are donating: it's money from the people who bought the dresses they are re-selling.)

Yes, I'm cynical but I highly doubt these sellers would be giving anything to charity if these weren't the Princess Diana dresses. If they were gowns by Babe Paley, I bet they would sell them and keep the proceeds. Hence, my complaints about the "show-and-tell."
I feel the exact same way you do. I bet that if Diana had not died, the dresses would not be worth as much, and people would keep them. It is a shame. Pity that the good impact of the original sale has been lost, but Diana did good, and she had no idea the way things would turn out.

Last edited:
I feel that the dresses should perhaps go to a museum epecially a fashion one.

The Elvis dress is my favorite Di gown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom