The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 05-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: _, United States
Posts: 467
Wonderful contributions Kwanfan!

I was wondering if these outfits were ever recycled:

- 1981 Opening of Parliament gown
- CFDA awards w/slicked back hair blue gown
- 1995 Serpentine GAllery grey halter dress
- 1987 Ascot yellow w/floral print in primary colors dress
- 1987 Caen, France hat with snood (was black snood used again w/that hat or another?)
- 1987 royal blue dress for her landmark AIDS handshake
- Peach wrap dress from Ascot 1981 and return from honeymoon - was this worn more than twice?
- Dressing-gown style dress by Bellville Sassoon 1985 (I think I know the answer to this!)
- Bruce Oldfield one-shoulder blue ruffled gown, fall 1982 , anorexia rumors begin
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
kwanfan's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,135
Source: Corbis, Getty Images
July 29, 1981-Departure for honeymoon


July 26, 1983-Opening Grimsby District General Hospital


March 25, 1983-Visit to Canberra War Memorial
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
Wonderful contributions Kwanfan!

I was wondering if these outfits were ever recycled:

- 1981 Opening of Parliament gown
- CFDA awards w/slicked back hair blue gown
- 1995 Serpentine GAllery grey halter dress
- 1987 Ascot yellow w/floral print in primary colors dress
- 1987 Caen, France hat with snood (was black snood used again w/that hat or another?)
- 1987 royal blue dress for her landmark AIDS handshake
- Peach wrap dress from Ascot 1981 and return from honeymoon - was this worn more than twice?
- Dressing-gown style dress by Bellville Sassoon 1985 (I think I know the answer to this!)
- Bruce Oldfield one-shoulder blue ruffled gown, fall 1982 , anorexia rumors begin
For a lot of these outfits, I'm not sure if she ever wore them again. I do know that there are alot of engagements that Diana carried out, that we will likely never have pictures of. For example usually once or twice a month she would receive an official from one of her charities or from one of her regiments. I would imagine that an official picture was taken, but they were rarely published. So we don't know what she wore for these engagements.

As for the 1981 Opening of Parliament gown, suprisingly enough, she wore it again at the next year's Parliament. At least it looks like the same dress.

The blue gown she wore to the CFDA awards was also wore for a portrait in late 1995 (she's sitting in front of a painting that was done of her, remember that one?)

The blue dress that she wore for her AIDS handshake in April 1987, she wore it before that on Sept. 24 1986 (picture below).

And as for the "dressing gown" style dress & the "Anorexia" dress, they were probably best left in the closet.

Photo: D. Levenson


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
kwanfan's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,135
Source: Getty Images
1. December 19, 1992-Wedding of Harry Herbert


2. April 22, 1993-Opening the Egyptian Museum (Getty Images)


3. November 3, 1992-Visit to Korea (Getty Images)


4. October 7, 1992-Visit to Children's Hospital at East Glamorgan District Hospital (Topfoto)



1. July 1, 1992-Visit to the National Orthopedic Hospital (Getty Images)


2. February 15, 1992-Visiting Mother Theresa's Hospice in India (Getty Images)


3. September 24, 1991-Visit to a welfare centre in Pakistan (Getty Images)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: _, United States
Posts: 467
Squidgy: THank you for the info. The 1982 Parliament opening has always taken a back seat I guess to her first one and the one in 84, with the new hairstyle. I forgot about the portrait that was done w/the blue dress on - I was so shocked by it and have never lingered looking at it.

In general:
I am just so excited to have found a place where I can get new information on her and sometimes I write before I
think or take the time to look it up myself. I will try to be more careful.
I hope this summer I can get some pictures together and learn how to post them since you all have been so generous
sharing yours.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gordonville, United States
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
For a lot of these outfits, I'm not sure if she ever wore them again. I do know that there are alot of engagements that Diana carried out, that we will likely never have pictures of. For example usually once or twice a month she would receive an official from one of her charities or from one of her regiments. I would imagine that an official picture was taken, but they were rarely published. So we don't know what she wore for these engagements.

As for the 1981 Opening of Parliament gown, suprisingly enough, she wore it again at the next year's Parliament. At least it looks like the same dress.

The blue gown she wore to the CFDA awards was also wore for a portrait in late 1995 (she's sitting in front of a painting that was done of her, remember that one?)

The blue dress that she wore for her AIDS handshake in April 1987, she wore it before that on Sept. 24 1986 (picture below).

And as for the "dressing gown" style dress & the "Anorexia" dress, they were probably best left in the closet.

Photo: D. Levenson


Seeing that blue AIDS handshake dress reminds me: Diana had several copies of that same dress, or something very similar, in different colors. There was the cream one she was wearing when she fainted in Canada in '86, a green one, and a bright pink one (the pink one had a different style skirt, though, if I remember correctly).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gordonville, United States
Posts: 202
Squidgy, the photo in the blue AIDS handshake dress is so lovely. If you don't mind my asking, where did you find it? I couldn't find it in Royalty or Majesty mags of the time, although the date is in the engagements listings: She presented prizes at Help the Aged headquarters.
Once upon a time, I naively thought that if I could get all the Majesty and Royalty magazines from Diana's lifetime, I'd be satisfied. HAH! As we all know, there are enormous gaps there. Tim Graham's Royal Year books help with dates, and Hello magazine helps also. And I've discovered thousands of photos on the Getty Images website with dates--most are from T. Graham. So I keep plugging away. It's an honor to be among you here on the forums who are equally obsessed, and occasionally provide me with a new date.
(Over the Christmas holidays, I was talking to a friend, and said excitedly, "I'm finding so many dates!" She was confused and at first thought I meant dried fruit.:p I am notorious among my friends for my Diana obsession.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
I forgot about the portrait that was done w/the blue dress on - I was so shocked by it and have never lingered looking at it.

In general:
I am just so excited to have found a place where I can get new information on her and sometimes I write before I
think or take the time to look it up myself. I will try to be more careful.
I hope this summer I can get some pictures together and learn how to post them since you all have been so generous
sharing yours.

Yes, that 1995 painting was kind of shocking eh? I didn't think it looked much like Diana.

Lady Jean, you have gone & looked up information for us in the past. Sometimes, it's just easier to ask if others know, especially when you think the information is easy for them to get & you know you would have to spend hours digging through a 10 foot pile of papers, mags, etc. to find it.

Oooh! I hope you are able to post pics soon too! I bet you have some interesting ones in your collection! It's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it.:)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 AM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
Seeing that blue AIDS handshake dress reminds me: Diana had several copies of that same dress, or something very similar, in different colors. There was the cream one she was wearing when she fainted in Canada in '86, a green one, and a bright pink one (the pink one had a different style skirt, though, if I remember correctly).
You know Umbrellagirl, I never really made the connection between all of those dresses. Well, the cream one I knew was similar to the blue one, but I never really thought of the green one & the pink one as being similar. I guess I didn't make the connection because for the cream & blue one, the fabric was heavier, while for the other two, it was a more lighter, cocktail dress kind of fabric. But yes, looking at them closer, I agree with you, the styles are very similar. Wonder if they are all by the same designer?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
Squidgy, the photo in the blue AIDS handshake dress is so lovely. If you don't mind my asking, where did you find it? I couldn't find it in Royalty or Majesty mags of the time, although the date is in the engagements listings: She presented prizes at Help the Aged headquarters.
I got the picture from that oversize book, "The Royal family: at home and abroad". It's by Trevor Hall, with photos by David Levenson. I don't know if you have it, but if you don't, it might be worth buying. It's not all on Diana of course, but still there are about 100 pics of her. They are mostly of engagements we've seen before, but different poses than we usually see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
Once upon a time, I naively thought that if I could get all the Majesty and Royalty magazines from Diana's lifetime, I'd be satisfied. HAH! As we all know, there are enormous gaps there. Tim Graham's Royal Year books help with dates, and Hello magazine helps also. And I've discovered thousands of photos on the Getty Images website with dates--most are from T. Graham. So I keep plugging away. It's an honor to be among you here on the forums who are equally obsessed, and occasionally provide me with a new date.
(Over the Christmas holidays, I was talking to a friend, and said excitedly, "I'm finding so many dates!" She was confused and at first thought I meant dried fruit.:p I am notorious among my friends for my Diana obsession.)
It's great to have someone else obsessed by dating photos!:) Yes, I used to think that Majesty & Royalty covered most of the engagements, but, as you note, they missed alot didn't they? And not only did they miss alot of photos, but in the section where they list engagements, they also left out quite a few. I guess their list was as complete as possible when they went to press and that engagements were added to Diana's schedule after the magazines were published. I am currently going through the London Times to get a complete list of her engagements. I've been doing this on & off since 1992. And even doing this, I still can't find dates for everything!:(
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gordonville, United States
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
I got the picture from that oversize book, "The Royal family: at home and abroad". It's by Trevor Hall, with photos by David Levenson. I don't know if you have it, but if you don't, it might be worth buying. It's not all on Diana of course, but still there are about 100 pics of her. They are mostly of engagements we've seen before, but different poses than we usually see.


It's great to have someone else obsessed by dating photos!:) Yes, I used to think that Majesty & Royalty covered most of the engagements, but, as you note, they missed alot didn't they? And not only did they miss alot of photos, but in the section where they list engagements, they also left out quite a few. I guess their list was as complete as possible when they went to press and that engagements were added to Diana's schedule after the magazines were published. I am currently going through the London Times to get a complete list of her engagements. I've been doing this on & off since 1992. And even doing this, I still can't find dates for everything!:(
Thank you very much, Squidgy. I wondered if maybe it came from that book, which I do have. I found it! (on p. 86). If I could find the time to collate all my information, I probably know more than I think I do.
But now (and I really hope I'm not being a pest), I have a further question. The caption in Home and Abroad says only, "A visit to Clerkenwell in the same year [1986]" How did you find the specific date of Sep. 24? The magazine engagments listing for that day says, "Help the Aged's headquarters, St. James's Walk, London EC1"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
If I could find the time to collate all my information, I probably know more than I think I do.
I often think the same thing! If only we had the time to go through all of our stuff again eh? Because I find that pieces of information sort of build on each other. So if you learn something new today, you can go back to your old material, re-read it & maybe discover something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
But now (and I really hope I'm not being a pest), I have a further question. The caption in Home and Abroad says only, "A visit to Clerkenwell in the same year [1986]" How did you find the specific date of Sep. 24? The magazine engagments listing for that day says, "Help the Aged's headquarters, St. James's Walk, London EC1"
You're not being a pest.:) Yeah, I had a hard time figuring this one out too. I knew it was fall 1986 because of her hair, but beyond that, I didn't know. It was Canadiana (on this forum) who gave me the date for that one! So I can't take credit for any great detective work on my part.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gordonville, United States
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
You know Umbrellagirl, I never really made the connection between all of those dresses. Well, the cream one I knew was similar to the blue one, but I never really thought of the green one & the pink one as being similar. I guess I didn't make the connection because for the cream & blue one, the fabric was heavier, while for the other two, it was a more lighter, cocktail dress kind of fabric. But yes, looking at them closer, I agree with you, the styles are very similar. Wonder if they are all by the same designer?
I found another dress made on the same pattern. This one is black or very dark navy. I can't be sure, but it looks like maybe velvet, and the "cummerbund" effect is satin. It was worn to a Commonwealth Day reception March 8, 1993. (Coverage in Hello mag Mar. 20 issue)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
I found another dress made on the same pattern. This one is black or very dark navy. I can't be sure, but it looks like maybe velvet, and the "cummerbund" effect is satin. It was worn to a Commonwealth Day reception March 8, 1993. (Coverage in Hello mag Mar. 20 issue)
I love that dress too! And it's another one that she wore quite often. The first time I'm aware of her wearing it is Dec 11 1988. She must have liked it very much too, because it would have barely had time to come back from the cleaners by the next time she wore it - Dec. 15 1988 - just 4 days later!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-03-2006, 02:14 AM
tenngirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 119
http://img484.imageshack.us/my.php?i...newidea6sb.jpg

Does anyone know anything about the beautiful ring Diana is wearing here? I don't think I have seen it before.

I really enjoy seeing how she combined her clothes and wore them again.

Someone mentioned a pink dress like the navy "AIDS" dress. Is that the dress that she wore when she met Lionel Ritchie? The skirt was draped or something to the side?

Thanks for all the pictures.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: _, United States
Posts: 467
1984, June 1985, June 20
(L) Colour Library Books, Ltd. "Prince Harry and the Royal Family"
(R) Tim Graham /Getty Images
- See also Kwanfan's Post 39 for the peach dress -

1986, May 1987, July 22
(L) Tim Graham / Corbis, (R) Daily Mail Archives

1992, May 27
Alpha, in "Diana An Extraordinary Life"


1979 Althorp 1981
(L)8th Earl Spencer Family Album, in "Diana Her True Story"
(R) Rex Features, in "Princess", R.Lacey

1985 polo 1985 polo
(L) Jayne+Terry Fincher, "Debrett's Fashion Guide"
(R) Tim Graham / Getty Images
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Nice work Lady Jean.:)

I always liked that blue floral suit. She certainly got good use out of it. I especially thought she looked lovely the day she wore just the skirt and slung that red sweater around her neck (the last picture).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Squidgy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Diana wore this blue suit on June 13 1981 (Trooping the Colour) and again on July 16 1981 (garden party at Buckingham Palace).

Then it made its way into Sarah Ferguson's wardrobe. Sarah wore it to Diana & Charles' wedding on July 29 1981.That is Sarah, sitting in the front row (the 4th person in from the aisle.) She is beside Diana's former flatmates.

Sarah wore it again to Ascot on June 20 1985 when she had just started dating Andrew.

Photos (left to right): T Graham; The Royal Magazine (no photographer mentioned); Serge Lemoine; Globe Photos


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: _, United States
Posts: 467
Polo. possibly May 29, 1983
[no indiv.photo credit]Colour Library Books, Ltd.
Jane Owen - Diana The Book of Fashion

Tour of Canada, June 28, 1983
David Levenson

The jacket was also worn at Wimbledon 1981, and on April 21, 1983 in New Zealand (info courtesy of RF members Tenngirl and Squidgy)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: _, United States
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanfan
1985-Italy
1985-Poolmead Center for the Deaf
[post 25]

This dress first debuted in 1983 with wide pleats at the waist. For 1985 the waistline was altered and gave the dress a sleeker look.
Australia, March 29, 1983
David Levenson / Getty Images

Canada June 22, 1983
(L) Tim Graham, in "Diana the Fashion Princess."
(R) David Levenson, "Charles and Diana Visit Canada."
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
daytime fashion, diana princess of wales


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Princess Mathilde's Daytime Fashion Part 1: January 2004 - May 2009 Hannelore Archives 439 05-04-2009 05:17 AM
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 5: November 2008 - February 2009 Mandy Archives 414 02-10-2009 03:10 PM
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 4: August 2008 - November 2008 dazzling Archives 394 11-26-2008 02:23 AM
Queen Rania's Daytime fashion Part 1: October 2004 - August 2007 Balqis Archives 388 08-27-2007 05:56 PM
Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 1: June 2004 - June 2007 tornadoes Archives 669 06-21-2007 02:55 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman picture of the month pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]