Princess Charlene's Maternity Fashion: May 2014 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the color! Style is so so but the color is great!

LaRae

Ehm once again I was uninpressed by this choice... If she wants to hide her belly she should do it completely because this dress makes a strange effect...Like she had a dropping ball:ermm:

Has it been established that Princess Charlene does wish to hide her pregnancy?

I think her pregnancy clothes have been interesting - certainly different from many Royal ladies. They are not always clothes I particularly like, but I am happy to see her looking as relaxed as she does. It's a shame that her hair doesn't appear to have taken on the thick/glossy quality many women experience during pregnancy. However, if she wore less product in it, it might help. I think she's still using colour.

Has it been established that Princess Charlene does wish to hide her pregnancy?

I'm talking from a fashion point of view... She has concealed her pregnnacy very well most of the time that's for sure

I'm talking from a fashion point of view... She has concealed her pregnnacy very well most of the time that's for sure

I don't think so. I'm not sure we can make that leap in thinking. Her being obviously pregnant has been a function of the camera angle imo, not anything particularly to do with her clothes. (Generally we were never, or rarely, given side angles to see of her which impacted the impression of pregnancy even when she was clearly showing). She is also quite 'heavy with child' now. Hard to miss, even with a camera angle. :flowers:

I don't think so. I'm not sure we can make that leap in thinking. Her being obviously pregnant has been a function of the camera angle imo, not anything particularly to do with her clothes. (Generally we were never, or rarely, given side angles to see of her which impacted the impression of pregnancy even when she was clearly showing). She is also quite 'heavy with child' now. Hard to miss, even with a camera angle. :flowers:

I think it's a matter of perspective! To me it's seems so but you are free to disagree:flowers:

This dress does nothing for her. It must be difficult to dress when pregnant with twins but I think it is time she took advice.

This dress is most unflattering on Charlene. There is no style, per se, and the whole fit of the dress is off. (Yes, I realize there is no 'fit' in maternity wear, but still..). With the exception of her white gown, I have been disappointed in her choices. I was expecting more on her trip to the USA.

This dress is most unflattering on Charlene. There is no style, per se, and the whole fit of the dress is off. (Yes, I realize there is no 'fit' in maternity wear, but still..). With the exception of her white gown, I have been disappointed in her choices. I was expecting more on her trip to the USA.
I so agree with you. And the shiny fabric and ill fit...Bad for Charléne, that the world still has the wonderful pregnancy looks of Kate in mind. She was so beautiful and beaming! I´m looking forward for Kates new looks.
I also liked the outfits that Claire of Luxemburg wore. Very pretty and feminine. Charléne doesn´t seem to have a hand for her styling.
Most of the outfits she wears are somehow "off"

I love the colours of Charlene's latest dress as well as her shoes and hairstyle, but that's about it. There's something off about the fitting of the dress and it just looks a little odd and awkward to me.

The Daily Mail are stating that Charlene is having boys because she is wearing blue. I'll bet that when she starts to wear pink, they will say she is having girls. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I like neither the cut nor the shiny fabric. However, I think that colour suits her. In fact, my main gripe about Charlene's style is that her "go to" colours seem to be varying degrees of "greige" and black. I think they can make her look washed out. I find she looks her best when she wears bright colours or that startling hurts your eyes white. I also like her in a brighter lipstick - I just think it gives her complexion a lift. So, I thought she looked fabulous at the gala. Does anyone else think she might be growing her hair out?

I love the colours of Charlene's latest dress as well as her shoes and hairstyle, but that's about it. There's something off about the fitting of the dress and it just looks a little odd and awkward to me.

The Daily Mail are stating that Charlene is having a boy because she is wearing blue. I'll bet that when she starts to wear pink, they will say she is having a girl. :rolleyes:

hmmm I don't know if you know but they are expecting twins! The palace has confirmed it!
If we rely on the color we are wrong (Kate wore pink during her pregnancy, Victoria mostyl blue:lol:). BTW I'm sure there is at lest one boy in there... Actually I'm convinced she is having 2 sons:whistling:

hmmm I don't know if you know but they are expecting twins! The palace has confirmed it!
If we rely on the color we are wrong (Kate wore pink during her pregnancy, Victoria mostyl blue:lol:). BTW I'm sure there is at lest one boy in there... Actually I'm convinced she is having 2 sons:whistling:

Yes, I do know. I had posted when it was announced in the thread about Albert and Charlene's twins. I will edit my post to safe any more confusion, it was just a simple grammatical error. :flowers:

:previous: Just goes to show that not everything from a couture house is worth wearing.

This last blue dress wasn't her best choice. There were plenty of other Lanvin dresses that she could have chosen. (And Lanvin dresses are a great choice for pregnant women because they are very loose.)

I'm a little surprised at so many negative comments on the last two dresses. Let's face it, at this stage in a pregnancy, seven months, there is not much you can do. Add to that twins, and you've got about three styles, tent, empire, and reverse empire or gathering or draping below the belly. It is like trying to dress a beach ball. So trying to de emphasize, not hide, the big ball is a challenge. The cowl neck was a nice idea, so was the modulating color of the beige and yellow dress. The blue dress with low drape was pretty standard maternity, but the shiny fabric and styling emphasize the tummy, something, I do think she is past that point. I can only imagine that she can't sleep much, with twins moving a around a lot at this stage. I think she will be heading home ASAP and we won't see her, let's hope it is not bed rest from now on!

Thanks, TheRoyalCouturier, for your post and the extra info you added. Always nice to read your posts, as it's mostly informative and adds value to the discussions here. I quite liked the latest blue outfit, but I think it looks better in some pics than in others. One of those dresses that shows up differently from different angles. Main thing to me is that the Princess looks both happy and healthy!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

All I can add is a big AMEN to Frelinghighness's comments. I am sitting here scratching my head at all the thumbs down comments on Charlene's outfits, I couldn't disagree more.

For a woman entering the home stretch of a high risk first pregnancy with twins, I think she looks freaking amazing! Sure she looks tired, she IS tired. She is also committed enough to Monaco and to Albert to continue to show up. No one on the planet would criticize her if she stayed close to home at this point, but Charlene is a trooper.

And with only a couple of exceptions, her maternity wardrobe has been superb, imo.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised at so many negative comments on the last two dresses. Let's face it, at this stage in a pregnancy, seven months, there is not much you can do. Add to that twins, and you've got about three styles, tent, empire, and reverse empire or gathering or draping below the belly. It is like trying to dress a beach ball. So trying to de emphasize, not hide, the big ball is a challenge. The cowl neck was a nice idea, so was the modulating color of the beige and yellow dress. The blue dress with low drape was pretty standard maternity, but the shiny fabric and styling emphasize the tummy, something, I do think she is past that point. I can only imagine that she can't sleep much, with twins moving a around a lot at this stage. I think she will be heading home ASAP and we won't see her, let's hope it is not bed rest from now on!

Agree 100%! :flowers:

Thanks, TheRoyalCouturier, for your post and the extra info you added. Always nice to read your posts, as it's mostly informative and adds value to the discussions here. I quite liked the latest blue outfit, but I think it looks better in some pics than in others. One of those dresses that shows up differently from different angles. Main thing to me is that the Princess looks both happy and healthy!

The point you make where I have bolded is dead-on. Dresses can look perfectly fine in person, but photograph badly. They can also photograph badly for many reasons, none in the control of the wearer. A common and unexpected factor can be the lighting. If you think about it, dressing for an event is simple; dressing for the camera is far more difficult. It's why I will never fault anyone for their choices. It takes a lot of savvy to know all the possibilities one must allow for, so you win some and you lose some. It's also why 'safe and predictable' becomes the norm for some royals, a sort of 'uniform' of the tried and true successes. Who has the time to try to figure it all out? It's not that important, in the end imo. (That's why I find Letizia of Spain so impressive. She really is paying attention since she became Queen. To be expected. Wouldn't it be fun to have an Italian Queen? The fashion!)

All I can add is a big AMEN to Frelinghighness's comments. I am sitting here scratching my head at all the thumbs down comments on Charlene's outfits, I couldn't disagree more.

Same here! :flowers:

For a woman entering the home stretch of a high risk first pregnancy with twins, I think she looks freaking amazing! Sure she looks tired, she IS tired. She is also committed enough to Monaco and to Albert to continue to show up. No one on the planet would criticize her if she stayed close to home at this point, but Charlene is a trooper.

And with only a couple of exceptions, her maternity wardrobe has been superb, imo.

I agree 100%. :flowers:

Last edited:

Different strokes for different folks. I've not been at all impressed with her maternity wardrobe.

Having said that, I give her (and all the pregnant royals) a pass. Pregnancy can really take it's toll and sometimes the last thing you want to do is play dress up. I know during my last few months of pregnancy, fashion was the last thing on my mind. It was all about what was comfortable.

Last edited:

Princess Charlene at the Prince Albert II of Monaco's Foundation' Award Ceremony in Palm Springs, California, on October 12, 2014, wearing a dress in blue:

** Full view ** Upper part **

I like this dress. The colour is beautiful and looks good on her. The gathered detail makes ordinary dress interesting. Her sandals are my favorites.

The thing is (for me) that Charlene is elegant and has always worn great outifits... (A part some "miss" and the boring beige )therefore my expectation for the maternity wear were very high... What i have seen so far is very disappointing and I cannott deny that I like only the white gown at the grace award and the blue one worn at the red cross ball... This is of course my opinion and my perspective which could very well differ from others

I'm a little surprised at so many negative comments on the last two dresses. Let's face it, at this stage in a pregnancy, seven months, there is not much you can do.

Very True! Even the most expensive designer dresses will look like tents.
The thing to do is concentrate on hair, makeup, and accessories.

I think she looks nice, considering her pregnancy is so far advanced. :flowers:

I understand that it must be difficult to dress at this stage in pregnancy with twins but she has all the money in the world and experts at her disposal. She has expressed in the past that she didn't really have a clue about style before she married. I just wish that she would take some expert advice on board. No one is demanding that she become a fashion icon but it would be nice if she would wear clothes that would flatter her.

Before her pregnancy, my opinion is that Charlene was the best dressed of all the Royal women. Her evening attire in particular has been simply stunning.

The only thing I wish for is to see her in a tiara soon.

Before her pregnancy, my opinion is that Charlene was the best dressed of all the Royal women. Her evening attire in particular has been simply stunning.

IMO, ahe could wear a burlap sack and that gorgeous pearl tiara Caroline was photographed in. Or actually , I would look WAY beter in it!

I agree. :flowers: She's been a classic dresser since after her marriage. I differ only in that I am fine with no tiara. ;) She doesn't have the hair, and such pieces of jewelry seem to me to be from another time, a bit 'antique' and 'quaint'. :p

Ooohhh Lady Nimue...I am just the opposite..I get light-headed at the sight of a beautiful tiara worn with elegance! But I do understand about Charlene's hair, it's not exactly tiara friendly is it?

Anyway along with Kate, Charlene seems to avoid tiaras like the plague. In fact almost none of the young Royal women are often photographed in them.:ermm:

Thank heaven for HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg!:whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom