The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I'm a little surprised at so many negative comments on the last two dresses. Let's face it, at this stage in a pregnancy, seven months, there is not much you can do. Add to that twins, and you've got about three styles, tent, empire, and reverse empire or gathering or draping below the belly. It is like trying to dress a beach ball. So trying to de emphasize, not hide, the big ball is a challenge. The cowl neck was a nice idea, so was the modulating color of the beige and yellow dress. The blue dress with low drape was pretty standard maternity, but the shiny fabric and styling emphasize the tummy, something, I do think she is past that point. I can only imagine that she can't sleep much, with twins moving a around a lot at this stage. I think she will be heading home ASAP and we won't see her, let's hope it is not bed rest from now on!
Agree 100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4A View Post
Thanks, TheRoyalCouturier, for your post and the extra info you added. Always nice to read your posts, as it's mostly informative and adds value to the discussions here. I quite liked the latest blue outfit, but I think it looks better in some pics than in others. One of those dresses that shows up differently from different angles. Main thing to me is that the Princess looks both happy and healthy!
The point you make where I have bolded is dead-on. Dresses can look perfectly fine in person, but photograph badly. They can also photograph badly for many reasons, none in the control of the wearer. A common and unexpected factor can be the lighting. If you think about it, dressing for an event is simple; dressing for the camera is far more difficult. It's why I will never fault anyone for their choices. It takes a lot of savvy to know all the possibilities one must allow for, so you win some and you lose some. It's also why 'safe and predictable' becomes the norm for some royals, a sort of 'uniform' of the tried and true successes. Who has the time to try to figure it all out? It's not that important, in the end imo. (That's why I find Letizia of Spain so impressive. She really is paying attention since she became Queen. To be expected. Wouldn't it be fun to have an Italian Queen? The fashion!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
All I can add is a big AMEN to Frelinghighness's comments. I am sitting here scratching my head at all the thumbs down comments on Charlene's outfits, I couldn't disagree more.
Same here!

Quote:
For a woman entering the home stretch of a high risk first pregnancy with twins, I think she looks freaking amazing! Sure she looks tired, she IS tired. She is also committed enough to Monaco and to Albert to continue to show up. No one on the planet would criticize her if she stayed close to home at this point, but Charlene is a trooper.

And with only a couple of exceptions, her maternity wardrobe has been superb, imo.
I agree 100%.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
All I can add is a big AMEN to Frelinghighness's comments. I am sitting here scratching my head at all the thumbs down comments on Charlene's outfits, I couldn't disagree more.

For a woman entering the home stretch of a high risk first pregnancy with twins, I think she looks freaking amazing! Sure she looks tired, she IS tired. She is also committed enough to Monaco and to Albert to continue to show up. No one on the planet would criticize her if she stayed close to home at this point, but Charlene is a trooper.

And with only a couple of exceptions, her maternity wardrobe has been superb, imo.
Different strokes for different folks. I've not been at all impressed with her maternity wardrobe.

Having said that, I give her (and all the pregnant royals) a pass. Pregnancy can really take it's toll and sometimes the last thing you want to do is play dress up. I know during my last few months of pregnancy, fashion was the last thing on my mind. It was all about what was comfortable.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Princess Charlene at the Prince Albert II of Monaco's Foundation' Award Ceremony in Palm Springs, California, on October 12, 2014, wearing a dress in blue:

** Full view ** Upper part **
I like this dress. The colour is beautiful and looks good on her. The gathered detail makes ordinary dress interesting. Her sandals are my favorites.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Majesty

The thing is (for me) that Charlene is elegant and has always worn great outifits... (A part some "miss" and the boring beige )therefore my expectation for the maternity wear were very high... What i have seen so far is very disappointing and I cannott deny that I like only the white gown at the grace award and the blue one worn at the red cross ball... This is of course my opinion and my perspective which could very well differ from others
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I'm a little surprised at so many negative comments on the last two dresses. Let's face it, at this stage in a pregnancy, seven months, there is not much you can do.

Very True! Even the most expensive designer dresses will look like tents.
The thing to do is concentrate on hair, makeup, and accessories.

I think she looks nice, considering her pregnancy is so far advanced.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Aristocracy

I understand that it must be difficult to dress at this stage in pregnancy with twins but she has all the money in the world and experts at her disposal. She has expressed in the past that she didn't really have a clue about style before she married. I just wish that she would take some expert advice on board. No one is demanding that she become a fashion icon but it would be nice if she would wear clothes that would flatter her.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Majesty

Before her pregnancy, my opinion is that Charlene was the best dressed of all the Royal women. Her evening attire in particular has been simply stunning.

The only thing I wish for is to see her in a tiara soon.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Before her pregnancy, my opinion is that Charlene was the best dressed of all the Royal women. Her evening attire in particular has been simply stunning.

IMO, ahe could wear a burlap sack and that gorgeous pearl tiara Caroline was photographed in. Or actually , I would look WAY beter in it!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I agree. She's been a classic dresser since after her marriage. I differ only in that I am fine with no tiara. She doesn't have the hair, and such pieces of jewelry seem to me to be from another time, a bit 'antique' and 'quaint'.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Majesty

Ooohhh Lady Nimue...I am just the opposite..I get light-headed at the sight of a beautiful tiara worn with elegance! But I do understand about Charlene's hair, it's not exactly tiara friendly is it?

Anyway along with Kate, Charlene seems to avoid tiaras like the plague. In fact almost none of the young Royal women are often photographed in them.

Thank heaven for HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Ooohhh Lady Nimue...I am just the opposite..I get light-headed at the sight of a beautiful tiara worn with elegance! But I do understand about Charlene's hair, it's not exactly tiara friendly is it?
Without that long luxuriant hair from a century ago upon which to fasten the tiara, a tiara must be very cruel to the scalp. Near impossible to wear, in fact. JMO.

Quote:
Anyway along with Kate, Charlene seems to avoid tiaras like the plague. In fact almost none of the young Royal women are often photographed in them.
Just too uncomfortable, I think. Not worth it. Tiaras need to be redesigned, more like a headband. Letizia of Spain has done something with headbands.

Quote:
Thank heaven for HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg!
Yes, she has the hair and the stamina. Distracts from the clothes. With a tiara anything one wears looks good.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Princess Charlene at the Prince Albert II of Monaco's Foundation' Award Ceremony in Palm Springs, California, on October 12, 2014, wearing a dress in blue:

** Full view ** Upper part **
Beautiful color but I don't like the dress.

Quote:

Charlene looking lovely in white at the Princess Grace Awards Gala in Beverly Hills on October 8:

** Full view ** Upper part 1 ** Upper part 2 ** Close up ** Side view ** Upper part/Side view **
Amazing dress! Beautiful color and great simple style! One of her best looks.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Beautiful color but I don't like the dress.

Amazing dress! Beautiful color and great simple style! One of her best looks.
I agree, blue dress hideous. White dress stunning. Charlene, always lovely.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Majesty

That white maternity evening gown is pure, elegant perfection.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

LOVE the white dress!

LaRae
Old 11-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree about the white gown. So beautiful, so delicate, so elegant. The best she's worn so far.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I SO agree with you, juliette! She looks almost ethereal.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Princess Charlene at the National Day in Monaco today, November 19. The outfit has something playful, funny, I like it:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Princess Charlene at the National Day in Monaco today, November 19. The outfit has something playful, funny, I like it:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
I really like this outfit, very clean and the colors look good. From the front view it looks like a cape but the back view looks like it's a long waistcoat/cape style.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's a strong, confident feel to this outfit - bold, striking use of black and white and and a little flamboyant. A very interesting choice and she looks so very happy.

Tags
fashion, maternity fashion, princess charlene, princess charlene maternity fashion, princess charlene pregnancy style, royal pregnancy fashion