The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It's plain ugly, even when considering the motto/fancy dress theme.

I am sure Caroline would never have dressed that way if the sponsor wasn't Lagerfeld but a no-name designer.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

I am sure Caroline would never have dressed that way if the sponsor wasn't Lagerfeld but a no-name designer.
No one can say that. For the same money Princess Caroline simply loves the designs made by Monsieur Karl. Who knows. After all the Princess could have switched to any other designer if she would like to do (and sometimes she does indeed).

Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

I disagree - Caroline is no pushover. If she didn't want to wear something she wouldn't. I'm also guessing that she had some say in the design given both her closeness to Karl Lagerfeld and involvement in the organisation of the Ball.

She has worn other designers, some of them not huge names although she is faithful to Chanel in recent years for this event.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Serene Highness

I really like the out fit .... it's caroline , she can get away with a lot of different out fits
Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually I like the gown it's all the extras that really trouble the look IMO the choker the long bead things the earrings my lord the gown needs nothing it is stand alone piece IMO
Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The dress fit's the theme and it's one of those dresses you can wear to such an event. The color combination is nice but the dresses overall isn't of my taste and even thought it's part of the theme, it doesn't flatter Caroline at all.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Caroline is once again demonstrating you can have fun with fashion. I admire her approach and her love of dressing up for this special ball.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Rose Ball in Monaco

i actually love the original dress the version that caroline wore didn't do it justice .
Great finding duke of poliganc... Thanks!!!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Princess Caroline at the Rose Ball today, March 18:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 **
Uhm... i'm not sure about the overall dress... I can live with all those ruffles, it's the upper part that bothers me... It's just too much information... plus the choker ( wich i think ages her ), plus the earrings... Uhm... But i agree: it goes with the ball theme and once again put out P. Caroline sense of humour!!!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Horrible horrible horrible.....
Old 03-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

This reminds me of the olde Madonna tour with the black and white HOLIDAY costumes. Except as a dress with references to Monacan graphics. It is even flattering on her. And parts of it are HUGE.

But, the dog collar is what throws it over the edge for me. Not flattering, not breaking fashion. I like the earrings and think a narrower choker would have been fine and on trend. Instead, that buckle looks dangerous and I wonder what her under chin looks like today.

Silly fashion is just silly fashion, even if you are a princess.

To be fair - I liked the graphics - just not mixed all together or with all those ruffles. One or the other, not both. I liked the pink ribbon - just in a different place for a lady of this age/body/dress.

I know Karl means well and he probably delivered what he was asked for. I think they both were pushing fashion boundaries. But it looks silly. JMO.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

But, the dog collar is what throws it over the edge for me. Not flattering, not breaking fashion. I like the earrings and think a narrower choker would have been fine and on trend. Instead, that buckle looks dangerous and I wonder what her under chin looks like today.

To be fair - I liked the graphics - just not mixed all together or with all those ruffles. One or the other, not both. I liked the pink ribbon - just in a different place for a lady of this age/body/dress.

I know Karl means well and he probably delivered what he was asked for. I think they both were pushing fashion boundaries. But it looks silly. JMO.
I understand what you're saying but the collar and buckle thing is just as high on the original dress worn by Emilie Floege - so I don't think it was an attempt to be groundbreaking in fashion terms.

Personally, I love it but I totally get why some people hate it - it's definitely not a dress that invites indifference! 😊
Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Agree.
Too frivolous for these times we are facing in my very personal view of course. Pple used to like Caroline cos in a way she did seem relatable, she was the first lady but also the mother, the wife, the daughter, the sister, the widow... but please not the clown in her very far far away privileged court.

Sometimes Kart lost the plot the same as Gucci and the same as fashion in general overall for the context. I find Charlotte perfect in comparison.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Serene Highness

One word: HIDEOUS.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Majesty

Oh no.

No, no, no, no, no!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Nobility

I think I would have liked it more without the bottom part... If that had been “simpeler” it wouldn’t be so.. Much I guess.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Dress of the Day: March 20
Whether it's pretty is a matter of taste but imo this explains completely what the inspiration fot the dress was...
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
I disagree - Caroline is no pushover. If she didn't want to wear something she wouldn't. I'm also guessing that she had some say in the design given both her closeness to Karl Lagerfeld and involvement in the organisation of the Ball.

She has worn other designers, some of them not huge names although she is faithful to Chanel in recent years for this event.
I agree about Caroline.

Beatrice and Charlotte looked absolutely stunning...I cannot believe Beatrice is only 3 weeks post partum!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Dress of the Day: March 20
Whether it's pretty is a matter of taste but imo this explains completely what the inspiration fot the dress was...
Interesting article, thanks - I agree with some of the comments on there that she got away with it because she was so obviously having fun with it. I also always treat the Rose Ball as a sort of Fancy Dress party and that's the spirit with which I think Caroline approaches it. The dress definitely wouldn't work for any other event.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Royal Highness

I don't hate it but then again I don't think the Rose Ball is the occassion for your standard strapless ball gown.

Tags
fashion, princess caroline, princess caroline daytime fashion, princess caroline in chanel, princess caroline's fashion & style, princess carolines eveningwear, princess carolines style, royal fashion