Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, If you don't care what women wear then, maybe, you're in the wrong thread...:flowers: ?

No, seriously, there must be a limit, right? I don't particularly "CARE" if a woman wants to wear a bikini in January on the street, but, am I allowed to say that she looks silly? I've seen 20 year-old wearing flip-flops in the snow, their feet red and swollen, am I allowed to teach my children not to do that or they will get a cold? Or shall I just day: "Look! A fearless young man walking in flip-flops in the snow! Good for him!"

Also, what's wrong with 1950s women?? :flowers:

Ummm I never said I don't care....I said who cares if a woman wants to wear sleeveless in winter...big difference in those statements.

There is a difference than someone wearing a bikini in Jan walking down the street than a woman wearing no sleeves INSIDE at a function. The same applies to your flip flop comment. We aren't talking about children who need guidance but a grown woman who can decide if she wants to wear sleeves or not.

I have no idea what you are talking about with 1950's women.....because I didn't say anything about them.

LaRae

Another miss, although the colour of the dress is quite nice. The dress looks too big and voluminous, and I hate the loose, double breasted top. She could wear a scarf or something to cover her arms, if she wants to wear a summer dress during the winter. The worst part for me are the shoe straps, they look like some tacky leather shackles and "cut" her legs. However, I like her makeup a lot, she's glowing!

With all due respect, If you don't care what women wear then, maybe, you're in the wrong thread...:flowers: ?

No, seriously, there must be a limit, right? I don't particularly "CARE" if a woman wants to wear a bikini in January on the street, but, am I allowed to say that she looks silly? I've seen 20 year-old wearing flip-flops in the snow, their feet red and swollen, am I allowed to teach my children not to do that or they will get a cold? Or shall I just day: "Look! A fearless young man walking in flip-flops in the snow! Good for him!"

Also, what's wrong with 1950s women?? :flowers:

I don't think a comment about whether a woman should wear certain things in certain months is exactly a fashion critique as opposed to be a lifestyle critique to be fair. I think her point was about not caring if she should wear sleeveless in February rather than not caring about fashion overall. There is a difference. And really, a lot of us don't care about if someone looks like they are cold. I'm assuming they know better than me if they are cold or not since they are functioning adults. I'll just judge the design, fabric, etc. of the clothes.

And nothing wrong with 1950s women, the fashion problem lies in when women of today start dressing like they are 1950s housewife.

the fashion problem lies in when women of today start dressing like they are 1950s housewife.

Surely EVERY Woman has a perfect right to wear WHATEVER she deems fit, without the Fashionistas prescribing it for her...???

Surely EVERY Woman has a perfect right to wear WHATEVER she deems fit, without the Fashionistas prescribing it for her...???

Of course a woman has a right to wear whatever she wants. I'm not going to go up to anyone and tell them they can't wear something. However, as in every fashion thread, there will be critical voices and supporting voices just as you have problems with Meghan Markle wearing sleeveless in February. Some of us are just happy that Meghan doesn't dress like she's a 1950s housewife.

I just shake my head at the continual irony of groups of folks who think themselves progressive and forward in their views and champion women to do everything under the sun...expect apparently wear non-modern clothing options (someone tell DVF to get rid of that wrap dress) or sleeveless tops in Feb.

LaRae

I don’t find anything about Meghan to be particularly fashion forward. In fact her dress sense is pretty boring.

Her biggest claim to fame seems to be wearing trousers, something Diana was doing 30 years ago.

So hardly the last word in fashion.

Certainly, but this thread is a fashion commentary thread. Does that mean every conversation should shower praise?

I think it's old fashioned at this point to "dress the season" for an indoor event with no outdoor portion. She had a coat when she arrived, they were taken to a staging area and she removed the coat. The entirity of this engagement was in a heated room with hot stage lights. Maybe she's one of those people who run warm, she has experience with panels and lighting, she may know she'd end up sweating or uncomfortable and be fidgeting, and was trying to avoid that.

Good for her. It's 2018! Meghan is passionate about the issues. Style over substance is over!

Well this is a fashion thread so I thought I could comment on her clothes... silly me

Yep she can and does wear what she likes and I can say what I like or dislike otherwise what is this fashion thread for !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I realise I am in the minority here but I love this dress. I don't understand comments which suggest wearing sleeveless at this time of year is somehow inappropriate. Women regularly wear sleeveless for evening wear in winter.
I love the contrasting styles we have in Kate and Meghan. I am not bothered whether Meghan is considered groundbreaking or playing it safe, she's dressing differently to other royals in the British family and to my untrained eye she looks stylish and comfortable in her choices.

I don't think you are in the minority...seems more evenly split to me.

LaRae

And nothing wrong with 1950s women, the fashion problem lies in when women of today start dressing like they are 1950s housewife.

I will leave aside all the other arguments or we risk going OT and our posts deleted. Let's just say that we disagree on whether it is relevant if someone who is going to have an institutional role is dressed appropriately for whatever month of the year.

Again, I'm afraid we're going OT with the "1950s housewife" issue, too. But I find 1950s women (housewives and not!) extremely fashionable, elegant and put together. I don't have an ounce of issue if a woman today wants to dress or be like a 1950s woman. Also, I wouldn't feel offended if someone referred to me as a 1950s woman. I don't understand where the insult is. I've know some powerful, wonderful, gracious, hyper-clever, elegant 1950s housewives.

As far as MM's outfits, it seems like she hides behind them, lately. You know what Coco Chanel said (I paraphrase): "Dress badly and they will notice the dress, dress impeccably and they will notice the woman." I just feel I'm always looking at dresses with MM.

I will leave aside all the other arguments or we risk going OT and our posts deleted. Let's just say that we disagree on whether it is relevant if someone who is going to have an institutional role is dressed appropriately for whatever month of the year.

Again, I'm afraid we're going OT with the "1950s housewife" issue, too. But I find 1950s women (housewives and not!) extremely fashionable, elegant and put together. I don't have an ounce of issue if a woman today wants to dress or be like a 1950s woman. Also, I wouldn't feel offended if someone referred to me as a 1950s woman. I don't understand where the insult is. I've know some powerful, wonderful, gracious, hyper-clever, elegant 1950s housewives.

As far as MM's outfits, it seems like she hides behind them, lately. You know what Coco Chanel said (I paraphrase): "Dress badly and they will notice the dress, dress impeccably and they will notice the woman." I just feel I'm always looking at dresses with MM.

I'm not sure what me not liking dressing like a 1950s women has to do with 1950s housewives being any of the things you talk about. I completely agree that a woman should be more than her clothes. I was commenting on clothes and not the woman. Or rather, I was just saying I'm glad Meghan Markle doesn't dress like that. So I'm not understanding why some have such issue with me saying so or taking it as I'm saying a 1950s housewife can't be strong or any of the characteristics you mentioned. Although, they are from a different era, so they probably defined some issues differently than today's women do.

Anyways, it's interesting how we see different things in the clothes Meghan Markle wears. I see a lot of her in her clothing choices, but that's largely because I followed her as a fan of Suits well before this relationship. So I've come to known what her personality is like and what her style is. The only outfit that I felt was more clothes than woman is the Christmas outfit. Other than that, I don't see how her clothes wears her. If anything, this woman's intelligence and her passion about the work she's about to enter into has been a far more emphasis for her than her clothes based on what I've seen.

Please stay on topic of this thread and remain respectful towards each other. Everyone is entitled to share his/her opinion, regardless of whether it's positive or negative - there is no need to bicker nor to be defensive.

Scroll to about 34:16 in the below video. That's where the conversation ends and they all stand up, and we can see a full view of Meghan in the dress. There is a front opening on the wrap dress that's more obvious when Meghan walks off the stage:

Meghan's style is casual and edgy with a bit of sophisticated elegance, with a twist. There's always hopefully going to be that different twist in how she rocks her style. It will be interesting to watch how she evolves with her style and her role in the royal family.

... As far as MM's outfits, it seems like she hides behind them, lately. You know what Coco Chanel said (I paraphrase): "Dress badly and they will notice the dress, dress impeccably and they will notice the woman." I just feel I'm always looking at dresses with MM.

But Meghan hasn't actually been wearing dresses recently. ? She's worn a midi skirt, dark fitted jeans with a boat neck off-the-shoulder plaid blazer, wide-legged pants, and an elegant cropped pant tuxedo, along with overcoats on different occasions.

Perhaps you are seeing what Meghan wears instead of seeing her because there's such huge OTT interest in what she's wearing. IMO Meghan has been trying to stick to her casual style and to her neutral palette with recently more dark colors (perhaps for winter? :D), which some feel have been boring. I think that Meghan is not interested in people obsessing over her clothes. She clearly enjoys clothes and she understands a lot about fashion and style, but she does not seem interested in the media making everything about her clothes. It's likely fine with her if people are bored. She's not married yet and her and Harry's focus has been on making their outings about the projects, people, and communities they are visiting, not about putting a spotlight on Meghan's clothes and glamorous image.

She seems like she's intent on retaining her own identity and her unique sense of style, as she eases into her new role. I'm looking forward to the global summit event in March, to Kate's new baby in April, and to what Meghan will be wearing at the wedding in May. I can't wait to see the variety of reactions then. :lol:

There are sure to be more public engagements before the wedding, and then Remembrance Day and Royal Ascot in June! :wub:

?

I'm not sure what me not liking dressing like a 1950s women has to do with 1950s housewives being any of the things you talk about. I completely agree that a woman should be more than her clothes. I was commenting on clothes and not the woman. Or rather, I was just saying I'm glad Meghan Markle doesn't dress like that. So I'm not understanding why some have such issue with me saying so or taking it as I'm saying a 1950s housewife can't be strong or any of the characteristics you mentioned. Although, they are from a different era, so they probably defined some issues differently than today's women do.

Great Jacqui24! I'm glad you explained your point! :flowers: It's not unusual for people to refer to 1950s housewives implying a WHOLE series of assumptions and criticisms, but I'm glad to hear it's not your case (although I still find the 1950s housewife look appealing! ?).

But Meghan hasn't actually been wearing dresses recently. ?

Ahhh, ok, pretty funny! ?

She seems like she's intent on retaining her own identity and her unique sense of style, as she eases into her new role. I'm looking forward to the global summit event in March, to Kate's new baby in April, and to what Meghan will be wearing at the wedding in May. I can't wait to see the variety of reactions then. :lol: There are sure to be more public engagements before the wedding, and then Remembrance Day and Royal Ascot in June! :wub:

Yes! I look forward to that, too! Especially Royal Ascot

It's a lovely dress but with the shoe choice it's better suited for an evening event in July rather than a day one in February. ?

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

Good for her. It's 2018! Meghan is passionate about the issues. Style over substance is over!

Meghan isn’t the only royal passionate about issues. Actually- I think most of them have issues they are passionate. From Philip on down the line.....

As for Meghan’s dress. I love the deep blue color. Not sure if I care for the style from the waist up. I usually like wrap dresses. Not sure about this one though.

Last edited:
I never got the whole seasonal outfit thing. Other then shorts and flip flops. If its cold you put a coat over, if not you don't. I guess the Canadian in me.

I really like the dress. Got a great trench coat feel to it. Fantastic style :flowers:

Love the dark shade of blue. Nice change from the black we have seen till now.

Not a fan though of the shoes. Nice, but would suit evening look better.

At least it is not another baggy pants with oversized coat. Now it. Is an oversized coat dress with no sleeves in February. Her hair. Is a little less messy. She is improving, but slowly

Can someone please explain to me this all of sudden concern over exposed arms in winter as opposed to the skirts and dresses that have been worn in winter by royal women? Are exposed legs in winter not as cold as exposed arm? Or maybe the sheer stocking has miraculously becoming a heating pad? I’m genuinely not understanding what the problem is here given that royal women have exposed limbs in winter for years, even outside in the cold.

I don't get the season stuff either. I wear short sleeves in winter all the time. That is why coats, scarfs, and gloves exist. They keep me nice and warm when outside because my office and home are plenty toasty inside.

I am so/so on the dress. I do appreciate she is keeping her style though.

Well, I can understand the perception of feeling cold when looking at Meghan's bare arms and legs when people are looking out the window, or worse, trudging to a from work in a winter nightmare called The Beast from the East.

Having European cities thirteen degrees colder than the Arctic is a bit of a facer and like it or not the weather affects our perceptions of how we feel. When the sun is shining many people feel lighter, brighter, happier and warmer whereas when it's dreary and grey with drizzle others feel cold all the time while others feel down, sad and even suffer from a form of depression called SAD.

Little wonder that those in Europe suffering the dire effects of the Beast from the East cringe and feel cold when they see Megan with bare arms and legs, there is a horrible little gremlin that says you too could look like that . . . and instead of being wrapt as would be usual, you check the temperature, look at the snow, cringe and say "I'll pass".

Can someone please explain to me this all of sudden concern over exposed arms in winter as opposed to the skirts and dresses that have been worn in winter by royal women? Are exposed legs in winter not as cold as exposed arm? Or maybe the sheer stocking has miraculously becoming a heating pad? I’m genuinely not understanding what the problem is here given that royal women have exposed limbs in winter for years, even outside in the cold.

Either do I. Honestly if anything is colder/less seasonal, it would be the legs. I presume Meghan had a coat on when she was outside. When she was indoors, and it was as warm as it would be in the summer, she had bare arms. If you are in a short dress with hose you are bare inside and out. Its not like they are putting snowpants over their hose when outside.

Well, I can understand the perception of feeling cold when looking at Meghan's bare arms and legs when people are looking out the window, or worse, trudging to a from work in a winter nightmare called The Beast from the East.

Having European cities thirteen degrees colder than the Arctic is a bit of a facer and like it or not the weather affects our perceptions of how we feel. When the sun is shining many people feel lighter, brighter, happier and warmer whereas when it's dreary and grey with drizzle others feel cold all the time while others feel down, sad and even suffer from a form of depression called SAD.

Little wonder that those in Europe suffering the dire effects of the Beast from the East cringe and feel cold when they see Megan with bare arms and legs, there is a horrible little gremlin that says you too could look like that . . . and instead of being wrapt as would be usual, you check the temperature, look at the snow, cringe and say "I'll pass".

See, I am from Canada where the 'beast from the east' is a normal winter for us many years. If she was walking outdoors like that, yes you would be shivering. But most of us realize winter lasts for months on end, and you get tired of wearing hundreds of layers and wool for four months at a time. As long as you are bundled up when outdoors, you are fine.

Since the international weather forecast said it was snowing in London, it was obvious that neither Meghan nor Catherine set foot outdoors with those shoes on. :D

I prefer Kate's dress though Meghan's is a very pretty blue. It just doesn't seem to fit and drapes on her like she's a hanger.
I don't know what it is today that is making people forget there are coats in the world. I saw comments regarding Both Kate and Meghan that assumed they didn't have coats on outside. For me, I wear short sleeves during winter because the building I work in is hott and I spend 8hrs in there and only 5 mins outside.

I find this discussion fascinating. Do people in North America really heat their houses and public buildings to such a degree you can wear short sleeves when it’s below 0C outside? Man, you must have some extra cheap heating. I’d bankrupt if I heated my house so much, our thermostat is set to 21C. And since we had -17C tonight even that will result in astronomical bills next month.

Since the international weather forecast said it was snowing in London, it was obvious that neither Meghan nor Catherine set foot outdoors with those shoes on. :D

They probably did. The car drops them of at the entrance door and the organizers would clean the walkway and steps. Kate just wore nude pumps last night to walk into the building and it was snowing.

Last edited:
I prefer Kate's dress though Meghan's is a very pretty blue. It just doesn't seem to fit and drapes on her like she's a hanger.
I don't know what it is today that is making people forget there are coats in the world. I saw comments regarding Both Kate and Meghan that assumed they didn't have coats on outside. For me, I wear short sleeves during winter because the building I work in is hott and I spend 8hrs in there and only 5 mins outside.
Let's try not to do the comparison bit with Meghan and Catherine. They have widely divergent personalities, body shapes and preferences. I like Meghan' s dress (goose bumps notwithstanding) but I'm not sold on the sandals. A pair of actual shoes would IMO look better.

I find this discussion fascinating. Do people in North America really heat their houses and public buildings to such a degree you can wear short sleeves when it’s below 0C outside? Man, you must have some extra cheap heating. I’d bankrupt if I heated my house so much, our thermostat is set to 21C. And since we had -17C tonight even that will result in astronomical bills next month.

They probably did. The car drops them of at the entrance door and the organizers would clean the walkway and steps. Kate just wore nude pumps last night to walk into the building and it was snowing.

Our house is kept in the 60's and 70's during winter. That seems fairly normal to me.

Some folks (here at least) have wood stoves so they will either use that as supplemental or sometimes that is the only heat source. Some folks use propane for heat. Others have natural gas. Then some use electric only.

Our electricity runs 100 to 300 a month depending on what we are doing and the time of year. With 6 people (3 adults/3 kids) we do a lot of laundry, dishes, showers etc .

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom