Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Meghan even have a clothing budget yet. She isn't royal until after the wedding.

Does Meghan even have a clothing budget yet. She isn't royal until after the wedding.
We don't know. Charles covers the cost of clothing for engagements normally through Duchy of Cornwall. However, give that she's not an official member of the royal family, we don't know what the protocol on that would be. However, she's certainly used some pieces that she already owned prior to the engagement.

Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

Well, I find dressing in all black basic and pedestrian, not to mention depressing, so I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree there.

The thing with comments like ‘’I own so and so’’ and ‘I wear so and so all the time’’ is that ‘’you’’ are not a public person whose photo is taken and put on front pages every time you go to work. In 23-30 years, no one will do a retrospective of your or my work outfits. However, this is the reality of royal life. That is why royal women have stylists, just like Meghan has. Every single thing she’s worn since her engagement has been planed and styled by Jessica. She’s actually made comments about ordering some things for Meghan. I’m sure Meghan has input, but she’s hardly getting up in the morning and trying to put together a decent look from things in her closet before dashing to work like most of us do.

I don’t understand the defensiveness. This is a fashion thread about an almost royal on a royal forum, not an attack on your personal fashion aesthetics. Meghan will wear what she wants and people will like it or not. Those who do not like it have the full right to say so. This does not make their opinion wrong or ‘’ragging’’. And it certainly doesn’t mean they don’t like Meghan, which seems to be the assumption for some people. I don’t understand this idea that if you like a royal, you have to worship everything they wear. I mean my favorite royal is Queen Maxima and she certainly isn’t a perfect dresser in my eyes.

And just to point out Mary and Letizia, whose fashion style you apparently don’t like, are constantly selected as best dressed royals by fashion magazines. Hardly something a future royal would want to avoid, imo.

You edited parts of your post, so I just put it all together here.

Absolutely agree with all you say. I didn’t like someone saying I was ragging her either or that I didn’t like her I don’t like anything much she has worn my opinion. I don’t like a few things Kate has worn either. I didn’t like Kate pushing her hair out of her face and I don’t like Meghan doing it either. Let’s all have our opinion

Last edited:
I agree royal rob with you and Princess Larisa. We’re ALL allowed to express our opinions knowing not everyone agrees nor has to.

I think I understand where Meghan is coming from. While working on Suits she could get up, haul on some jeans etc. and go to work. She didn't have to worry about style or makeup because that was taken care of by makeup and wardrobe so I am guessing her wardrobe was predominantly casual, monochrome and evening clothes.

I think that is why so many identify with her and say what is wrong with having several pairs of black pants. I have the same wardrobe not costing the same obviously but when you get up every work day and wear a uniform there is a whole part of your wardrobe missing.

Having someone tell you that your personal opinion and experience is irrelevant and boring is rude and misses the whole point of discussing fashion. Some royals dress the same as many working women only their pantsuits are couture as are their accessories. But the story remains the same.

On the other hand, there are women who you know are royal and they dress and act the part. Meghan's style will obviously change as the demands of her position ramp up and it will be interesting to see exactly how that is going to change.

Until then do you think you could hold the biting sarcasm you are inflicting either intentionally or unintentionally? I would hate this thread to turn into an unpleasant place to avoid rather than visit and share.

i kind of like that meghan is sticking to her style rather than becoming a second version of kate. it is refreshing and it is nice that not everyone in the RF is a copy cat (sophie and kate look usually very much alike). however, i do agree this look was rather flimsy looking: the coat was too big, her hair was always on the way (long untied hair in windy edinburgh seems like an odd choice when you expect cameras on you!). i do think that meghan will up her game soon. having said that, she probably will stick with a more 'business looking' wardrobe than kate.

Well, I find dressing in all black basic and pedestrian, not to mention depressing, so I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree there.

Okay. But that's not actually what I said, so... that point keeps getting missed. This really is just like Andy on DWP looking at two turquoise belts and thinking they are the same. Not the same, lol.

The thing with comments like ‘’I own so and so’’ and ‘I wear so and so all the time’’ is that ‘’you’’ are not a public person whose photo is taken and put on front pages every time you go to work.

That's not why I mentioned my style choices - I mentioned them to try to illuminate the differences in style aesthetics that people (like you) seem to be missing in an attempt to drape another style aesthetic onto Meghan - who already has a really defined one. Since mine is similar to hers (at least from what I can see) I mentioned it to try to help people see the difference in the two and how they kinda don't really mix well without taking the stylistic edge out and reducing the outfit to some kind of Talbot's PTA mom mess.

The style aesthetic you posted was color+black/navy.

Meghan's is all over color, tone on tone color OR neutrals with black/navy.

Your aesthetic is not the same as hers. Mentioning my style and the struggles of dressing with the aesthetic you posted was only meant to humanize what Meghan and her stylist might also struggle with given Meghan's aesthetic is different.

I don’t understand the defensiveness.

Weird - I'm not defensive. I'm verbose - but that's normal, :lol:

This is a fashion thread about an almost royal on a royal forum, not an attack on your personal fashion aesthetics.

I never thought it was an attack on my aesthetic? I'm mostly attacking the aesthetic that others appear to be draping on Meghan - and yes, I fully mean to attack it as it's not stylish to me.

The only thing I might have gotten defensive about was the implicit assumption in your words that I didn't know what people (and you) meant when everyone went on and on about Meghan adding color. I wasn't surprised by the pics you posted because I already knew that's what people meant.

And (those kinds of pics) are what I was already saying previously wasn't Meghan's style and that I didn't find it particularly stylish. The ladies look lovely, but to me they aren't really that stylish.

Sorry?

I don’t understand this idea that if you like a royal, you have to worship everything they wear.

Since I've been critical of previous Meghan outfits, I clearly don't fall into the "worship everything Meghan wears" camp.

And just to point out Mary and Letizia, whose fashion style you apparently don’t like, are constantly selected as best dressed royals by fashion magazines. Hardly something a future royal would want to avoid, imo.

I actually think Mary and Letizia look the best out of the current royals - but that doesn't mean I think they are particularly stylish or fashion forward. I actually like Raina of Jordan too, but I still like Mary and Letizia. I love Mary in general, but that's another story.

But I can like them, think they look nice in their clothes, but still think they aren't particularly stylish.

I would find it terribly sad to see Meghan dress like all the others just to please some anonymous people on the internet who are trying to force a style aesthetic onto Meghan that doesn't actually fit her style. And worse, trying to force a style aesthetic on her that *I* don't even find particularly stylish.

What a waste that would be.

What I would rather see is Meghan come into her own, still being true to herself and HER style aesthetic (which again - doesn't fit with what you posted imo) and also embraces color in the way Meghan likes to do it.

That's really all I've been trying to say.

I wanted to add that I don't mind folks going on Meghan about the color - but what would be SO FUN would be if we could talk about color within Meghan's style aesthetic. Like - what if we could talk about it within that context and imagine how she could embrace more color - but doing it in a way that fits her own style rules/aesthetic (from what we know of her)? It just seems like demanding a different aesthetic out of her is going to set us all up for disappointment and not really move the discussion forward. I'd love to go deeper into how Meghan could do more with color - just from within her own aesthetic.

Just like I wished DC Comics had stuck to their original vision for the DC Extended Universe rather than kinda copying a Marvel storytelling tone and visual effect for their latest Justice League movie. ?:lol:?

It's okay for different style aesthetics to exist on different people and often we are all the better for seeing the BEST versions of those aesthetics on the people they belong to.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a waste that would be.

What I would rather see is Meghan come into her own, still being true to herself and HER style aesthetic (which again - doesn't fit with what you posted imo) and also embraces color in the way Meghan likes to do it.

That's really all I've been trying to say.

I wanted to add that I don't mind folks going on Meghan about the color - but what would be SO FUN would be if we could talk about color within Meghan's style aesthetic. Like - what if we could talk about it within that context and imagine how she could embrace more color - but doing it in a way that fits her own style rules/aesthetic (from what we know of her)? It just seems like demanding a different aesthetic out of her is going to set us all up for disappointment and not really move the discussion forward. I'd love to go deeper into how Meghan could do more with color - just from within her own aesthetic.

Just like I wished DC Comics had stuck to their original vision for the DC Extended Universe rather than kinda copying a Marvel storytelling tone and visual effect for their latest Justice League movie. ?:lol:?

It's okay for different style aesthetics to exist on different people and often we are all the better for seeing the BEST versions of those aesthetics on the people they belong to.
I just want to add that this is how stylists tend to work as well. They wouldn't necessarily just change things about what someone's style is. They would work with the subject and maintain their individuality and working with it rather than just change them into a style that isn't them.

She looks Unkempt: the coat is too long and looks big for her frame the pants are sloppy and dragging dirt and the hair is a miss.
her previous outfits Imo are maybe plain but were at least well fitted this one is a total miss.

I totally agree with all of this. I really dislike the length of the pants and the fact that they're dragging on the ground.

I've liked a few pieces she's worn, but as a whole I'm not impressed with her current style. Her coats always seem too big and I'm beyond bored with all of the black/dark colors. I really wish she would add some color to her wardrobe.

Last edited:
:previous: All fair critiques. Her style isn't for everyone so be it. But even if you don't like this outfit to call her "unkempt" feels like a big stretch.

FashionMaven! I think this picture captures the outfit perfectly!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j0s06W-C...a35VxG8gCEwYBhgL/s1600/2018-0213-meghan05.png

OMG thank you! I knew it would look smashing with the coat open!!

:previous: All fair critiques. Her style isn't for everyone so be it. But even if you don't like this outfit to call her "unkempt" feels like a big stretch.

I'm wondering if it's the hair that's throwing some people off? I think it makes her look more approachable... It did get a bit misty from the rain/mist so it got a little fuller, lol, with a tiny bit of frizz - but not much really... I don't think it made her look unkempt?

I do think Meghan is trying to find a way to marry her style with her new position and it will take a little time to find her way.

I've liked most of what she's done (some way more than others) - the wales blazer and jeans wasn't my fave outfit, but it was okay... I wished she'd found a more interesting blazer though I was happy to see the boatneck on her since some of are hoping she might do a similar neckline for her wedding gown...

The one thing I do really like about her choices so far is her commitment to paying homage to the areas she's visiting... I'm sure it's providing a nice boost to the small businesses in the areas she's visiting. That's really a nice touch and took some forethought.

I think the paying homage, they all usually do that by wearing a brand/item from the area they are visiting.

LaRae

I totally agree with all of this. I really dislike the length of the pants and the fact that they're dragging on the ground.

I've liked a few pieces she's worn, but as a whole I'm not impressed with her current style. Her coats always seem too big and I'm beyond bored with all of the black/dark colors. I really wish she would add some color to her wardrobe.

You've expressed my own view.
So far- not impressed.

But I'll wait until after the wedding and see if her choices evolve.
Perhaps once she has her go-to designers (like Kate has McQueen) things will be different.

I think after the wedding it will be interesting to see whether Meghan's fashion choices will develop - I imagine they will as time goes on. In the meantime, I do agree that she is a little 'heavy-handed" on the use of black - it's not so bad when combined with a light-shade of coat as it provides a nice contrast.

I really don't mind deeper/natural/tonal colours on her at all because the style is usually quite interesting - such as a tied belt on her coats or interesting collar etc.

I understand that Meghan is not too keen on patterns, but I would love to see her wearing a fitted suit in that dark tartan design for instance or something with a simple pattern. If she sticks to plain, muted colours then interest will hopefully be found in the design.

I really love the outfit, esp the pants. I love Meghan's style more than Kate's. Nothings wrong with Kate's but Meghan's is more relaxed.

:previous: Yes, they are both fashionable with a different aesthetic though, and unique unto themselves. I am finding that Kate actually seems a bit more relaxed recently and she is seemingly making less conservative, matronly choices (which she tended to do on occasion). Remember when she cut her hair and was looking so fresh and casual yet smart at Wimbledon last July. Over the past couple of months, Kate has been looking very elegant, glamorous and lovely. We see her and barely notice her pregnancy. I sense some indirect Meghan style influence simply by the fact of Kate now having a sister-in-law her age to share this outsize royal life with behind-the-scenes. Even the Queen seems to be taking a more relaxed public approach, speaking in a filmed broadcast to a journalist about her coronation day, and appearing with Anna Wintour at London Fashion Week!

Here's an article with a picture gallery compilation of Meghan's go-to beauty product preferences:
Shop Meghan Markle Favorite Beauty Products

Meghan seems to purposely be sticking with darker colors. Her coat at the Brixton visit was light-colored, and for the first engagement in Nottingham, her skirt was beige, but everything else has been dark (aside from the white blouse) worn with black suit for the Endeavor Awards. Someone here said they are bored with Meghan's fashion choices. After thinking about that declaration, I figure perhaps Meghan is fine about some observers being bored. ;) It seems she wants the focus to be more on the people, causes and communities she and Harry are visiting and championing.

After the unnecessary uproar and brouhaha over the engagement photo dress (which Meghan may have already owned and previously purchased at a discount, or it was loaned), I wonder why people are now complaining about her keeping her sartorial choices very low-key and simple, with casual elegance. :lol:

Honestly, I too have been slightly disappointed by all the dark colors. But hey, it's winter and Meghan apparently likes a neutral palette with lots of black, navy, etc. We can actually look back at so many past photos and see that Meghan has worn a variety of brighter colors and on occasion prints and geometric designs; she's also worn floral prints, as well as evening wear and dresses in turquoise, gold, silver, and a red & blue tie-dye evening gown. That's when she was living the lifestyle of an actor making red carpet appearances at premieres and fund raising events. Meghan also wore a lot of mini dresses. She had a lot more freedom. In her personal life, she always rocked a very casual style with ripped jeans and shorts. She even wore two different dress-up shorts outfits with matching jackets for separate Today show visits (one was light blue denim, and the other blue and white stripes). She's also worn red on occasion, and lots of white. I love her sexy white dress with flared skirt and embellished Michael Jackson-style biker jacket:
https://us.hellomagazine.com/imagen.../0-221-661/meghan-markle-leather-jacket-a.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...V--_WUU9UK72AcDrV_69e7QGjkFYTo3TkL15EvEs4.jpg Denim suit shorts

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/56/65/fa56659494c4a74615943d4cdbdcd7ee.jpg striped suit shorts

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7f/c9/fb/...175c0--meghan-markle-style-business-dress.jpg On the set of Suits

http://www2.pictures.stylebistro.co...esses+Skirts+Strapless+Dress+3rGAgCW1wU-x.jpg On the red carpet

http://cdn.evoke.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/28153446/meghan-markle.jpg red dress visiting Today Show

https://images.hellogiggles.com/uploads/2017/01/29051251/MeghanMarkle2.jpg Tie-dye evening gown

Her life is now moving into a very different phase, and it seems to me (from all evidence) that she is purposely remaining low-key. All eyes are on her, so she has no need to bring attention to herself. I think right now Meghan appears to want to be appropriate for the occasion, well-groomed, and comfortable, while at the same time take the opportunity to promote British designers and good causes with her fashion choices. She doesn't seem to want there to be too much focus on her clothes, so she's wearing what she as Meghan would wear for now. There's plenty of time for her to segue into being Duchess Meghan. She's not married yet. Maybe Meghan is also consciously making a statement that she's going to do things her own way (somewhat similar to Michelle Obama's personal style statements when she became First Lady. Mrs. Obama did not follow established Washington D.C. trends, she rocked her own style).

Far from Meghan not knowing what she's doing, she and her stylist, Jessica Mulroney, likely have a plan. Meghan seemingly will not satisfy our bright color fashion wishes until the wedding and maybe, hopefully at Royal Ascot. In October after Invictus, Meghan and Harry are said to be planning an extended royal tour of Australia and New Zealand. So that may be when we will begin to see how Meghan's style as a Duchess and a royal Princess bride will have evolved.

On a couple of occasions now, Meghan has worn wide-legged pants. It's certainly true that those black pants in Scotland were touching the ground. But well, she doesn't have to do her own laundry. ? That wide-legged pants look with the slightly oversize tartan plaid coat has a certain insouciance to it. I liked the tartan, but I felt it could have been brighter. In some pictures the tartan plaid was barely visible. But in the picture already posted above, PH and MM look absolutely fabulous and just so cool and comfortable together:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j0s06W-C...a35VxG8gCEwYBhgL/s1600/2018-0213-meghan05.png

Prince Harry must wake up every day feeling like he's in heaven. In his wildest imagination a few years ago, Harry likely never figured he'd ever find the right someone to take on the royal burden, much less fall in love with a special lady who possesses such fashionable style, elegance, smarts, graciousness, sexy femininity, sweetness and a true desire to give back to others. Meghan seems to take an easy, casual, laid-back approach to what she wears, thanks to her California upbringing. But with that I think she's also always in control of her intention, and she's fully aware of who she is. The only slight giveaway of any nervousness is her constant tucking back her hair mannerism which hopefully she will eventually lose.

New photos released from an old (2012) Meghan Markle fashion photo shoot for Regard magazine; pictures and video; Meghan was also promoting Suits' second season:

Meghan Markle Modeled Chic Looks in 2012 Fashion Photo Shoot | E! News

The below article was posted in Meghan's background thread. I'm linking it here for the photos, which give more insight into her style aesthetic as a working actor and entrepreneur:
http://darlingmagazine.org/meghan-markle-career/

More on Meghan's tartan coat:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/meghan-markle-led-tartan-quest/

Last edited:
KJason Wu has made dresses and gowns for former FLOTUS Michelle Obama including her gown for Obama's first inauguration in 2009. Wu may be in the running for Meghan's wedding gown. It would be a surprise.

I like the dress. Meghan has no stockings on, and the shoes are strappy. A clear signal she is not going to copy Kate.

Last edited:
I was sort of half expecting pants again so strappy shoes and a Jason Wu dress was a nice surprise. I like the material of the dress and it looked great, very flattering. I also liked the shoes. The only caveat I have to that, and it's a sight one, is that the weather is freezing and I don't know that February is the right month to show bare arms and legs! However, I do think she looked lovely. Her makeup was perfect.

Something seems off about it.

I think it's a nice dress, but it doesn't seem right for the type of event.

Sleeveless in -5 outside temperatures, in Snowy London, just looks FREEZING, no matter that the venue might be toasty...

Sleeveless in -5 outside temperatures, in Snowy London, just looks FREEZING, no matter that the venue might be toasty...

Can’t you say that for ANY dress then? Is legs not covered by trousers just as cold?

Honestly, given modern day amenities, I really don’t see the point of talking about if they are cold or warm in doors. I’m sure she had a coat on (would LOVE to see it by the way).

I quite like her dress and I like that it's got a bit of color to it!

LaRae

If it is indoor whether it is sleeveless or not doesn't matter. (Oh I forget she can't be right in some people's eyes. :rolleyes:)

Something is off to me, maybe too loose? I hope to see a better full view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom