Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
High heel boots. I initially thought about riding boots (not actual riding boots, but the fashion ones) too, but thought that might not be too relaxed. Given how skinny her legs are, she'd totally rock it. Although, sometimes boots like that aren't the most comfortable is wants to squat down to a child's level, or be group hugged like she was. :lol: It might have really taken her down rather than just a step backwards to rebalance. :lol:

Just one point, let's not pretend that some wouldn't criticize her for being "Hollywood" if she did glam up. :lol: Not all that criticize her outfit, but we all know she'd get that criticism from some.

Gotcha - and agreed on the Hollywood criticism, lol.

Okay yeah - boots with heels... and a slightly thinner heel than she had on today would have been fire - but probably too glam given all of the walking around and crouching down to greet kids.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fashion Maven I think that boat neckline has moved to the top of the list for wedding dress bodice for her ...that style really suits her.

I generally like houndstooth and tweed so cool that it was a play on the POW patter.

I love that she's wearing the jean to promote a fledgeling company and the purse donates to childrens vaccines out of their proceeds.

I'm still not sold on the messy hair totally. Nor the earrings. I also agree I think the tall boot with tucked in pants would of said riding boot..not the right look for this event. At a polo match or horse show yes.

Lady Nimue I agree..it's an emerging pattern for her work look so far. They do frame her nicely and there's no sense of the clothes wearing her. I love the re-cycle element too (in previous outfits..not sure about this one). I'm hoping she tries other hairstyles other than the messy bun and that it doesn't become her 'working hair'.

I'm with you polyesco...don't get the earrings. Not a fan.

LaRae

BTW, just one more point on the coat. I always found it odd why some thought her coats were ill fitted. As a coat aficionado, I never found them to be ill fitted. I always thought they looked the way they are suppose to and quite stylish. I think I'm realizing there is some confusion about style versus fit.

For a coat's fit, generally look at the shoulder and length of sleeves to see if they are ill-fitted. The body can be loose while not being ill-fitted. It's a style. Especially among the belted coats and straight line coats. Not saying that's a style anyone can pull off as some can still come off as the coat wearing the person, but her coats are fine.

The only coat I think I've seen I considered ill fitted was the white coat on the day of the engagement.

So I don't understand the repeated comments about her coats being ill fitting.

LaRae

The only coat I think I've seen I considered ill fitted was the white coat on the day of the engagement.

So I don't understand the repeated comments about her coats being ill fitting.

LaRae

Agree - although I didn't think the white coat was ill fitted. Wrap coats are meant to be larger and oversized a bit - they aren't tailored much on purpose. It's literally the style to wear them as oversized... though the only one I'd say was a bit oversized was the camel one from Christmas - and that's only in the arms. Everywhere else it was fine.

I think some just aren't a fan of wrap coats or oversized coats and that's okay.

Today my only quibble with the black coat was how it cinched in the waist (not quite enough) - I usually cinch mine harder, but that's just me.

As for wrap/oversized coats? I think they have their place. I recently wore my camel wrap coat to a job interview (that's why I've been missing a lot from here lately - tons of interviews for my next role taking over the world) and got so many compliments it was unreal. Someone - and we hadn't mentioned Meghan or royals or anything - said it reminded her of Meghan Markle's coat at Christmas and I decided she was going to be my new best friend!! :lol:

The earrings are so tiny that I don't have a problem with them being "mismatched." I might have to try that myself.

The earrings are so tiny that I don't have a problem with them being "mismatched." I might have to try that myself.

Do it! The best part comes when people finally notice and then mention it.

No one notices unless they are looking at you head on anyway and then it's fun to watch their faces try to work out what's different.

Agree - although I didn't think the white coat was ill fitted. Wrap coats are meant to be larger and oversized a bit - they aren't tailored much on purpose. It's literally the style to wear them as oversized... though the only one I'd say was a bit oversized was the camel one from Christmas - and that's only in the arms. Everywhere else it was fine.

I think some just aren't a fan of wrap coats or oversized coats and that's okay.

Today my only quibble with the black coat was how it cinched in the waist (not quite enough) - I usually cinch mine harder, but that's just me.

As for wrap/oversized coats? I think they have their place. I recently wore my camel wrap coat to a job interview (that's why I've been missing a lot from here lately - tons of interviews for my next role taking over the world) and got so many compliments it was unreal. Someone - and we hadn't mentioned Meghan or royals or anything - said it reminded her of Meghan Markle's coat at Christmas and I decided she was going to be my new best friend!! :lol:

AH I figured you must be very busy with work!

Yes I just didn't like that very loose white coat..to me it looked sloppy.

Anyway for today my first impression when she walked around the car was positive...I really liked the overall look.

Oh and you may not pay much attention to other royals but you should go look at the coat Princess Sofia (Sweden) wore tonight (link below)...I LOVE it would love to see a BRF lady wear it too.

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:131717644:1800x650:w?v=5a549805&m=holamaoh

LaRae

Do it! The best part comes when people finally notice and then mention it.

No one notices unless they are looking at you head on anyway and then it's fun to watch their faces try to work out what's different.

My eight-year-old is forever losing just one earring. I'll have to see if I can talk her into this trend.

I take it back, I don’t like the actual earrings. I like the concept, but this pair is mismatched done wrong.

Regarding the jeans: i’m always in favor of boasting small businesses, she could have done the jeans and a different shirt. Maybe she should have had checkered coat or boots instead. The shirt does not work with the outfit.

By the way, showed the picture to my Parisian friend who works in fashion she says that Meghan look is not even remotely close to Paris chic, British chic, or Italian chic. My friend says Meghan fashion sense is very American actually, a strange mix of new-England meets California, having lived in both those regions, I agree.
She did love the hair style and hopes Meghan would stick to it if she has no plans to let her beauty curls show ever again (yea my friend is black and does not like seeing any woman of color smooth her natural curls).

Last edited:
Black is SO grim on such a cold day...

So not a fan of ANY of her choices..

Random thought...this is the second time we have seen Ms Markle in black; would she be showing solidarity with the ladies in black (LIB?) of the #metoo movement?

Random thought...this is the second time we have seen Ms Markle in black; would she be showing solidarity with the ladies in black (LIB?) of the #metoo movement?

I don't think so. She just likes monochromatic dressing. And quite frankly, for her to do it this way, it's really doesn't give the movement attention. It's pointless.

I haven't been impressed with anything Meghan has worn since Invictus. This is no different, but I am happy to see her interacting with people and working with Harry.

AH I figured you must be very busy with work!

Yes I just didn't like that very loose white coat..to me it looked sloppy.

But - but that was the STYLE!!! ?

Oh and you may not pay much attention to other royals but you should go look at the coat Princess Sofia (Sweden) wore tonight (link below)...I LOVE it would love to see a BRF lady wear it too.

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:131717644:1800x650:w?v=5a549805&m=holamaoh

LaRae

I love the coat except for the embroidered hem part. I don't like embellishment on coats unless it's like Dolce & Gabbana style embroidery on the shoulders OR the embroidery is all over full on Russian style. I like it 100% clean or full on embellishment to make that the statement.

Yeah, I'm picky, :lol:

Other than that I like that coat - especially the belt!

I used to follow Queen Raina's style a bit... but fell off. Sometimes I like Letizia and Charlene's style... but I like Meghan's style the best - though who knows what her royal style will morph into... fingers crossed I still like it.

I love the coat except for the embroidered hem part. I don't like embellishment on coats unless it's like Dolce & Gabbana style embroidery on the shoulders OR the embroidery is all over full on Russian style. I like it 100% clean or full on embellishment to make that the statement.

Yeah, I'm picky, :lol:

Other than that I like that coat - especially the belt!

I used to follow Queen Raina's style a bit... but fell off. Sometimes I like Letizia and Charlene's style... but I like Meghan's style the best - though who knows what her royal style will morph into... fingers crossed I still like it.
Agreed on the coat style. I always love a good simple statement coat.

I do hope Meghan doesn't turn into an overdone Barbie with her clothing choice after marriage. I can fully appreciate the lack stiffness in her style.

Lovely story about Hiut jeans.

Who are Hiut Denim, the Welsh fashion company chosen by Meghan Markle? - Wales Online

My eight-year-old is forever losing just one earring. I'll have to see if I can talk her into this trend.

LMBO! My favorite way of doing this is for nighttime though - a stud in one ear and a longer dangling and thin earring in the other ear is FIRE! Especially with the hair swept to one side.

I think the key with mismatched styles you have to be super intentional with it.

i quite like the grey jacket underneath it's lovely as is the coat the hair is messy thought

I continue to find her choices refreshingly different from other British royals. I thought the grey check a great choice with those jeans, love the 'messy' hairstyle and the concept of wearing two different earrings - she has a confident, individual approach to her clothes and looks very comfortable.

I love the top/jacket Meghan wore today. I thought it framed her shoulders beautifully. I also loved the boots and the coat. And the mismatched earrings was a surprisingly nice, quirky touch. I wasn't crazy about the messy bun today, I think a more polished hairstyle would have gone better with that top. But I don't mind it. Again, she is doing her own thing and I much prefer that over her trying to mimic other royal spouses. I don't ever want to see her favoring coat dresses and pill hats. I would hate that as much as some apparently hate her love of neutral colors and messy buns. :lol:

I think her outfit was perfect, just what she should wear in her position.....

I really like Meghan's attitude, very charming and engaged, her fashion not so much. The outfit is very average/not well put together. It seems to me she does not have a stylist yet, dresses like a city girl what she's not. The messy hair is the worst.
:previous:you expressed my reactions pretty closely. Was hoping the messy hair would not resurface, it looks as if she did it herself in the car without a brush or mirror. The all in black seems dull and dreary. Do like the theory top.

Personally, I prefer colour but now I have come to expect that this is Megan's style and the clear intention is that she will continue to dress this way. She is only a royal fiance for a little over a month and she will find a way of merging her personal style with royal style of colour to be seen more in the crowd. Although, it doesn't seem as though the crowds have any trouble seeing her.

I am sensitive to the fact that this woman has left her entire life as she has known it behind to become Harry's wife. The one thing that she still has left is control over her fashion choices. I wouldn't want Meghan to become a clone of the Duchess of Cambridge or anyone else as she would be accused of being fake. We have on record from her past interviews what type of style she favours. If she started dressing completely opposite to that, she would not be genuine.

Dressing for a royal role takes time. Compare the early and later years of dressing of most of the women who have joined royal families. It took tiime for those women to learn and it will be the same for Meghan.

Last edited:
As long as she doesn't wear anything inappropriate, I think she should be free to express her own style. I think the hair is fine--straightened hair that is naturally super curly and of African origin is never going to behave like Caucasian hair no matter how much you straighten it, without significant manipulation that can lead to lots of damage.

Pulling straightened hair of African origin back neatly/severely can cause a lot of damage and breakage. I do not straighten my hair anymore, but I know first hand how fragile chemically straightened hair can be.

I laugh at the complaints about 'another wrap coat'. Seems they come from the same people who defend kate's 50+ coat dresses/coats as 'they are her style, what she is comfortable in, her uniform.....':lol:

I love the coat. Its styled after a tux, why it has the wider belt. ?

She looks fantastic under the coat. I love the tartan feel coat, and the boat neck is fantastic on her. It looks great with the jeans. Very fashion forward, wearing a great little coat with jeans. :flowers:

Usually not a fan of booties, but this is how meant to be, with this style.

My only complaint is all neutral. I'd have loved the scarf she wore to have been in a great pop of color. It would have added to the look.

Happy we have a thirty something royal who dresses as such. I agree with comments here that Sophie and Lady Chatto dress very chic. They dress chic and appropriate for women in their fifties. I hope when Meghan is their age, she has some of their style. Its great we have a young royal embracing separates and accessories.

Has room to improve, but they all get polish over time.

Oh yes if she had a scarf in that green to match her purse that would of been a nice pop.

LaRae

As long as she doesn't wear anything inappropriate, I think she should be free to express her own style. I think the hair is fine--straightened hair that is naturally super curly and of African origin is never going to behave like Caucasian hair no matter how much you straighten it, without significant manipulation that can lead to lots of damage.

Pulling straightened hair of African origin back neatly/severely can cause a lot of damage and breakage. I do not straighten my hair anymore, but I know first hand how fragile chemically straightened hair can be.

She doesn't have to pull it back severely, she could put bobby pins in to hold down the sides, or put in a some styling gel. There are plenty of products like that out there for us black women.

I thought the coat was lovely and I liked the jeans. Wasn't a fan of the top and thought the hair looked quite messy. I noticed she kept pushing it back behind her ears throughout the visit, which was a little distracting.

She doesn't have to pull it back severely, she could put bobby pins in to hold down the sides, or put in a some styling gel. There are plenty of products like that out there for us black women.

I thought the coat was lovely and I liked the jeans. Wasn't a fan of the top and thought the hair looked quite messy. I noticed she kept pushing it back behind her ears throughout the visit, which was a little distracting.

I meant to mention earlier that she also seems to just like her hair loose and free. I don't think there have been lots of photos of her when she is not on the set of suits with her hair super neat and tidy, and much of the time we've seen her outdoors, it's windy and her hair is blowing around.

Part of me also wonders whether she wears a satin scarf at night. :D

You mean like the Queen wears?

LaRae

You mean like the Queen wears?

LaRae

I'm thinking she meant more like the satin caps/scarves most black women wear to protect their/our hair from breakage while we sleep.

I have on one right now as I prepare for bed. :lol:

This is making me wonder if the bun is because Meghan needs a touch up or a fresh Keratin treatment? She might not want to damage it too much with constant flat ironing.

I'd love to see her try a relaxed ponytail with her hair wrapping the tie and a slight pompadour in the front.

The humidity must be screwing up her usual hair routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom