Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen the earrings.

The pants look fine to me. These don't appear to be casual, five-pocket jeans.

I like the jacket better in the videos, but I still hate the color.

I think Meghan looks beautifully put together. The pieces are all lovely in their own right. That said, I do wish she'd worn something with a touch of tribute to Wales. Color would be welcome, so maybe a simple red top with the rest of the outfit would have been a better choice.

I am in the minority I think, but I don't mind her messy bun. I think it fits with her more casual style and suits (no pun intended) her well. And the one earring? Yes!

European idea of chic isn't a monolith.

I'm aware of the distinctions , Ms Markle today, might have passed for a Parisian office worker, but for someone [ABOUT to be] someone of significance she just looks boring..
She seems lovely, on many levels, but her dress sense is a disappointment .

Last edited:
I do think a more dressy pair of black slacks (not the big wide leg) would of gone better with the blouse/blazer thing.

LaRae

That's what I would pair with it, but I'm going to the office, not to see kids at a youth center. :lol:

Can we talk about the earring situation? What is up with wearing 2 different earrings at the same time?

LaRae

There are some sets in fashionable jewelry or on trend that are like that. Not my thing, but then again, I like my jewelry classic.

I don't love or hate the coat. While I think the top would have looked better with a wider leg pant, I think the value in wearing a brand like Hiut Denim on a hugely high profile visit like this is much greater than wearing the best pant, and Hiut Denim doesn't actually have any wide-legged pants.

Huge boost to a small company that's basically an underdog trying to revitalize its local community? Hiut Denim can't buy PR like that, and the people who work there are going to feel good about their work and story being highlighted for an international audience.

I think that might be meant to be paired with slacks for a more office look rather than skinny jeans. I'm not big on the booties. I usually prefer skinny heels to the chucky ones. But given what the events are, I'd wonder if slacks would've been too formal? They were visiting a youth center for sports and games later.

Yes I would have paired that shirt/blazer with trousers or a skirt. Unless you’re throwing in something colorful. If she had a lighter shade jeans, or the jeans had a speck of color maybe some embroidery it would have looked much better and more relaxed for the this type of event.

The jeans were find for the occasion, yes. Just not with that shirt and general monochrome colors (or lack of them) set. She needs color!

And I love block heel boots, this past decade and half with low rise then skinny pants and stilleto were killing me fashion wise (unless the stilleto is a kitten heel, or on knee length boots to be used not for walking..)

Didn’t mind the different earrings, it’s been a slowly growing trend for many years now. When done correctly it’s super cool and pretty.

Last edited:
Perhaps it will become a signature style, one you either love or hate, but still uniquely hers. If Kate were to wear her hair like that, I'm not sure I would care.

I think some are quite sick of Kate's perfectly primped blowouts. If she wore it with the right clothes, I don't think anyone would care. Although, Meghan does have a more casual style and it suits her. I'm not sure if Kate can pull it off, but I don't care enough to think too much about it.

Yes I would have paired that shirt/blazer with trousers or a skirt. Unless you’re throwing in something colorful. If she had a lighter shade jeans, or the jeans had a speck of color maybe some embroidery it would have looked much better and more relaxed for the this type of event.

The jeans were find for the occasion, yes. Just not with that shirt and general monochrome colors (or lack of them) set. She needs color!

And I love block heel boots, this past decade and half with low rise then skinny pants and stilleto were killing me fashion wise (unless the stilleto is a kitten heel, or on knee length boots to be used not for walking..)

Hmm, I don't know if that'd work too well with color. It's a rather serious top. I think it might work with white slacks. It's brighter and not going to conflict. Anyways, I think those skinny jeans would work really well with a white shirt and sweater over it. But then, her and Harry would be too matchy for my taste. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we talk about the earring situation? What is up with wearing 2 different earrings at the same time?

LaRae

It's a pretty prevalent 2017-2018 trend. I've been doing this all year. Ear crawlers are also a trend, but I doubt we will see her do that.

the plaid top pattern is a "take" on The Prince of Wales check,

I'm aware of the distinctions , Ms Markle today, might have passed for a Parisian office worker, but for someone [ABOUT to be] someone of significance she just looks boring..
She seems lovely, on many levels, but her dress sense is a disappointment .

Not much Parisian about this style. It's more Thom Browne than Dior.

I actually think her outfit was attempting to replicate a more British sensibility, what with the checks.

Usually I like her style - I think it's this time when she tried very hard to adhere to a more UK/British kind of country style that it fell flat. This is why I believe she'll be better off starting with her own well defined style aesthetic and simply making it appropriate for the occasion and her position.

I think Meghan's overall style is actually very nice and elevated. She has a chic tone on tone style I love and she usually looks effortless.

But I've never been a fan of a certain British look, so of course I'd be disappointed when she tried to emulate one.

I like her plaid blazer.

I don’t like her coat. I don’t like the bow/tie, but that seems to be a favorite style of hers.

Yes, from the same people who are horrified that Meghan's wearing hers that way.

I'm pretty sure the voices praising her messy buns belong to different people.

There are some sets in fashionable jewelry or on trend that are like that. Not my thing, but then again, I like my jewelry classic.

I couldn't get a good look at the earrings. I saw that one was an arrow. Is the other a heart? A coordinated set on a sort of "Cupid's arrow" theme, perhaps? When I see "mismatched" pairs for sale, they tend to have some sort of design relation to each other.

It's a pretty prevalent 2017-2018 trend. I've been doing this all year. Ear crawlers are also a trend, but I doubt we will see her do that.

Ah ok..well I'm not up on all the current stuff I guess!

LaRae

All of the pieces of this outfit today are fine, but just not together. The slim pants with the booties are terrible. The slim pants with this top is terrible. I would have loved the wide legged pant from last week with this top and those booties, or she could have worn a cute pair of black (low healed) pump with these thin pants. The coat is fine, although I am finding that they a little bulky for my tastes (and I know it's cold). The messy bun is still not a good look, IMO. This one might be worse than the last.

I don't love or hate the coat. While I think the top would have looked better with a wider leg pant, I think the value in wearing a brand like Hiut Denim on a hugely high profile visit like this is much greater than wearing the best pant, and Hiut Denim doesn't actually have any wide-legged pants.

Huge boost to a small company that's basically an underdog trying to revitalize its local community? Hiut Denim can't buy PR like that, and the people who work there are going to feel good about their work and story being highlighted for an international audience.

Can't hate on her for that at all! I love this.

Sometimes I think we all get caught up in the fashion the royals wear and forget that they do have a duty to try to do things like boost local economies and give fledgling companies in the region a boost.

And I totally had a thought that the checks were a deliberate choice to align with a British sensibility - didn't know it was a play on a check from Wales? If so, that's cool.

And ah hah!! Totally a play on the Prince of Wales Check: https://www.adamrossfabrics.co.uk/product/dark-navy-prince-of-wales-check-fabric/

Still not my favorite outfit, lol, but she gets major cool points from me for putting together an outfit that brings really good sartorial attention to both a beleagured check and also a fledgling company hoping to bring jobs back to the local area. That's ... great.

Last edited:
Glad to see you recovered from the Skinny Jean FM! lol

LaRae

Glad to see you recovered from the Skinny Jean FM! lol

LaRae

Hahahaha!!

:D:lol::D

All of the pieces of this outfit today are fine, but just not together. The slim pants with the booties are terrible. The slim pants with this top is terrible. I would have loved the wide legged pant from last week with this top and those booties, or she could have worn a cute pair of black (low healed) pump with these thin pants. The coat is fine, although I am finding that they a little bulky for my tastes (and I know it's cold). The messy bun is still not a good look, IMO. This one might be worse than the last.

Now that I understand that:

1) The jacket is a play on the Prince of Wales check pattern, I see why she chose that jacket. It's relatively stylish and has a tailored cut. Still not my favorite (I'm not a huge fan of checks unless it's exaggerated houndstooth in black/white), but I see why she chose that. And the neckline is gorgeous.

2) The jeans she chose to benefit a fledgling company trying to bring jobs back to the local area.

I agree though that the combination of all of the items together wasn't my favorite. Honestly changing the pants would have saved the outfit for me.

I loved her coat, messy bun and mismatched earrings though. And the boots. Wide leg trousers, or straight leg trousers with a slight flare would have set the outfit off for me - but apparently she was wearing those jeans particularly to help boost the cause of the company making them, so... I'm down for that.

I really like Meghan's attitude, very charming and engaged, her fashion not so much. The outfit is very average/not well put together. It seems to me she does not have a stylist yet, dresses like a city girl what she's not. The messy hair is the worst.

Nah, those pants wouldn't work with this. Trust me, I love my wide legged pants, I've tried it all. :lol: Regular slacks is the way to go with that top. Although, she is trying to promote a local brand here.

I would have changed the shoes to a nice pair of black loafers. The velvet is out of place.

Nice outfit, and in keeping with a 'pattern'. ;) Her clothes do not dominate but rather 'frame' her. She is dressing very low-key, very conservatively (within a certain style), and Harry color coordinates with her. In fact Harry is a bit more interesting fashion-wise (because it's so different from his norm up to now). Maybe Meghan does the coordinating, though I think Harry may be as interested as she is: it's in his genes given both Harry's parents loved their clothes.

Meghan's hair situation is interesting: what she is doing with her hair is a definite divergence from her red carpet appearances, and in fact would never have flown professionally as an actress on walk-about Maybe. However, it does look 'natural' in an outdoor royal venue, makes her look approachable and 'regular'. Might be her hair 'signature'.

BTW have to disagree with someone regarding the coat: that coat is hugging her body. She looks very lean. I also like the coat tie. Very cute. :flowers:

Last edited:
I would've like a pair of leather boots that goes over the jeans.

That's how I would have worn it - but wouldn't that have looked a little "I'm about to go riding" for Meghan given her position now?

That's how I would have worn it - but wouldn't that have looked a little "I'm about to go riding" for Meghan given her position now?

High heel boots. I initially thought about riding boots (not actual riding boots, but the fashion ones) too, but thought that might not be too relaxed. Given how skinny her legs are, she'd totally rock it. Although, sometimes boots like that aren't the most comfortable is wants to squat down to a child's level, or be group hugged like she was. :lol: It might have really taken her down rather than just a step backwards to rebalance. :lol:

Just one point, let's not pretend that some wouldn't criticize her for being "Hollywood" if she did glam up. :lol: Not all that criticize her outfit, but we all know she'd get that criticism from some.

BTW, just one more point on the coat. I always found it odd why some thought her coats were ill fitted. As a coat aficionado, I never found them to be ill fitted. I always thought they looked the way they are suppose to and quite stylish. I think I'm realizing there is some confusion about style versus fit.

For a coat's fit, generally look at the shoulder and length of sleeves to see if they are ill-fitted. The body can be loose while not being ill-fitted. It's a style. Especially among the belted coats and straight line coats. Not saying that's a style anyone can pull off as some can still come off as the coat wearing the person, but her coats are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom