Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't joined in the debate about the brooch. However, I am getting very tired of the furore over Meghan's so-called expensive engagement outfit.

And I'll have a nice coffee, M. Payton, with some frothy milk. I'm looking forward to seeing the Church walk tomorrow.

That frothy coffee is coming right up Curryong and a pastry on the side, on the house of course...it is almost Christmas and we bring good cheer!

I also am looking forward to seeing the church walk tomorrow, wonder if there is snow there or not now......would be nice as I can see snowballs flying through the air....:flowers:

I'm sorry but she IS, because
she is not [yet] Royal, and
because unfavourable comparisons ARE being made at the contrast with the Duchess of Cambridge's engagement photo-shoot choices, and their VASTLY less eye-watering cost.

Wyevale, you just said it...........she is not royal yet, it did not come out of your tax dollar period. She worked herself and most likely paid for it herself, so what is your problem here. Get over it please, I do not like the gown, the gown I say, not Meghan. It is not your problem on the cost, it is after all ****Christmas**** time for good cheer at least one day of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
She can spend her own money however she likes, but regardless if that dress was purchased privately or not, that dress is grossly overpriced. I have been a long time follower of fashion and not even your most stunningly designed dress from Lanvin by Alber Elbaz (runway) cost that much and that Ralph & Russo dress is not inventive or extraordinarily different to justify the amount it's charged for. Maybe I'm used to the prices at Net-a-Porter and it's clouding my judgement but that dress comes from the runway and is not designed from scratch especially for her.

But it's also not my problem and we should indeed move on.

I understand the argument that wearing a $56k dress (although again, it's highly unlikely that Meghan paid the full price) may not be the best optics for a soon to be royal spouse. But whether or not a dress is too expensive or overpriced really is subjective. There are dresses that cost much more (wedding dresses included) that really don't look like anything special to me. But while I think a certain dress may not be the worth the price, there are other women who will disagree. And you better believe that there were at least a few women out there (for whom price is not an issue) who saw that R&R dress and thought they would like to have something similar or something else from R&R.

Who paid for it IS immaterial, as is whether or not the gown it to my, or to your taste..

As you say Abbigail it is the optics that grate. For a Woman who has made so few PR missteps in her progression to Royal Bride, this one amazes me, since it was SO avoidable [there being hundreds of lovely gowns in the 5-10k bracket.

Fashionistas, and those who pay attention to the high cost of Royal 'Gala' gowns may not find 56k excessive or even surprising, but for 'man in the street' it reeks of profligacy and WILL be remembered as Ms Markles FIRST noteworthy fashion decision,the daywear for the engagement day,interview and Nottingham events being wholly unremarkable and 'forgettable' [except on fora like this].

56k was 'ringing' round my office the other day, and NOT in a good way...

If she wanted a 56k dress for her engagement photo, why should she have to go with a 5k-10k dress? At the end of the day, this is a private event. It’s shared with the public out of curtesy. It’s not as if this is a state dinner and her dress is being paid for by Duchy of Cornwall.

And quite frankly, if people want to discuss price and be critical about it, then who paid for it DOES matter.

Totally agree Dman. I hope Meghan continues to embrace her own style and doesn't feel any pressure to to look like any other royal spouse. I don't want to see her in pill hats and dress coats in every color.

Really looking forward to what she wears tomorrow, the choice of hat especially.

I am so looking forward to seeing what she wears tomorrow. As I am equally excited to see what Kate wears, I am about to jump out of my skin. ?

Who paid for it IS immaterial, as is whether or not the gown it to my, or to your taste..

As you say Abbigail it is the optics that grate. For a Woman who has made so few PR missteps in her progression to Royal Bride, this one amazes me, since it was SO avoidable [there being hundreds of lovely gowns in the 5-10k bracket.

Fashionistas, and those who pay attention to the high cost of Royal 'Gala' gowns may not find 56k excessive or even surprising, but for 'man in the street' it reeks of profligacy and WILL be remembered as Ms Markles FIRST noteworthy fashion decision,the daywear for the engagement day,interview and Nottingham events being wholly unremarkable and 'forgettable' [except on fora like this].

56k was 'ringing' round my office the other day, and NOT in a good way...

Well to be clear, I don't buy into the bad optics argument myself. I'm just saying that I understand why some may feel that way. But overall, I don't think the majority care one way or another. From what I saw on social media, most seemed taken with the photos and didn't care about the price of the dress.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced Meghan didn't either already have this in her closet and/or when she went looking for something, someone put her in touch with someone who had access to this dress and since it is a season old she got a good deal on it. I think the reason she didn't give the cost a thought is because, in fact, she didn't pay that much for it.
This seems like such a tempest in a teapot for one dress that was used for a special occasion.

If she wanted a 56k dress for her engagement photo, why should she have to go with a 5k-10k dress? At the end of the day, this is a private event. It’s shared with the public out of curtesy. It’s not as if this is a state dinner and her dress is being paid for by Duchy of Cornwall.

And quite frankly, if people want to discuss price and be critical about it, then who paid for it DOES matter.
Debatable. Monarchies need the good graces of the public to be able to exist. Very The Crown of me

Debatable. Monarchies need the good graces of the public to be able to exist. Very The Crown of me

And exactly what is the public going to do if they don’t release engagement photo? Which is a private matter, that’s being privately paid for? As long as they fulfill their public duties, people aren’t entitled to the rest. I keep getting told here that Harry isn’t that important and they need to know their place etc. Honestly, if he’s not that important, then why does it matter? Shouldn’t the public demand only apply to those that “matter”? After all, he’s not going to be a monarch. How they spend their private money is their business. All this over one dress during a private setting that’s not from public purse is a bit much.

Last edited:
And exactly what is the public going to do if they don’t release engagement photo? Which is a private matter, that’s being privately paid for? I keep getting told here that Harry isn’t that important and they need to know their place etc. Honestly, if he’s not that important, then why does it matter? Shouldn’t the public demand only apply to those that “matter”? After all, he’s not going to be a monarch. How they spend their private money is their business. All these drama and demands are getting a bit ridiculous.

I’m going to have to assume you don’t follow other royals? One thing I’ve noticed is that there is no such thing as private money or private matters when it comes to a country’s royal family. Some countries have it easier than others, but all royals are to some degree viewed as public property. And the level of intrusion and demands is nothing for Harry and Meghan compared to what it will be should they in a few years displease the British public. Just look at the Yorks.

Nothing about these people is ever truly private though, let's be real here.

I’m going to have to assume you don’t follow other royals? One thing I’ve noticed is that there is no such thing as private money or private matters when it comes to a country’s royal family. Some countries have it easier than others, but all royals are to some degree viewed as public property. And the level of intrusion and demands is nothing for Harry and Meghan compared to what it will be should they in a few years displease the British public. Just look at the Yorks.

You can’t compare what happened with this one dress to some of the faux pas Andrew, and by extension Fergie, has made over the years. This never ending drama over the cost of one dress for a special occasion that’s paid for privately is just plain unreasonable at this point. Some have been acting like those two will bring down the monarchy when in reality, they’ve done nothing close to it.

You can’t compare what happened with this one dress to some of the faux pas Andrew, and by extension Fergie, has made over the years.

And I wasn’t, might be a good idea to read my sentences one after the other and not jump from dress straight to Andy and Fergie. ''in a few years'' part of my post is significant. And I was more referring to Beatrice and Eugenie and the relentless criticism they get in the British media.

This never ending drama over the cost of one dress for a special occasion that’s paid for privately is just plain unreasonable at this point. Some have been acting like those two will bring down the monarchy when in reality, they’ve done nothing close to it.
I would also recommend not confusing the royal forum posters or royal bloggers with the general population. They are vastly different things and while some views might be common to both, many things royal fans find crucial will not even register for ordinary people.

And I wasn’t, might be a good idea to read my sentences one after the other and not jump from dress straight to Andy and Fergie. ''in a few years'' part of my post is significant. And I was more referring to Beatrice and Eugenie and the relentless criticism they get in the British media.

I would also recommend not confusing the royal forum posters or royal bloggers with the general population. They are vastly different things and while some views might be common to both, many things royal fans find crucial will not even register for ordinary people.

Nor would many ordinary people even register some things as important if they weren't told twisted stories by the tabloid press. I strongly believe in freedom of the press but some so-called press cross lines.

And my point is people can hardly assume this is going to be a daily type of thing and this has been blown way out of proportion. The unfortunate part of is some people has been treating and criticizing as if it was. Beatrice and Eugenie is a different issue and it’s not entirely their own fault either. They aren’t working on behalf of the firm and thus can’t really prove their worth through work. Unfortunately, they haven’t had much private success either. That’s not the case with Meghan and Harry as they will be dedicating their lives to work. As long as they do good work, who gives a crap of how they spend their own money?

Nor would many ordinary people even register some things as important if they weren't told twisted stories by the tabloid press. I strongly believe in freedom of the press but some so-called press cross lines.

I have stayed out of the discussion of the dress since it has been such a sore point for a lot of people, but have to say that I was literally just thinking the same thing that you wrote just before I read your post. I wonder how many people were greatly disturbed by the cost of the dress before the press started making such big deal out of it. I wonder how many people even thought to themselves, "Gee, I wonder how much that dress cost?" When I was looking at the pictures, it didn't cross my mind to wonder how much it cost. I just could not get over how happy and content Harry looked and how happy Meghan looked. Then I noticed the dress and I liked it. Now, I am not British so I don't fund the Royal Family, but when Kensington Palace released the info that the dress was privately purchased, I think that should have been the end of the issue. I know people talk about the perception being given by Meghan wearing a very expensive dress that cost more than some people make per year, but I expect Royalty to dress that way occasionally, and it is not like she does it everyday.

:previous: You know you are right. I looked at those engagement photos and saw a beautiful couple deeply in love and thought the photos were whimsical and a little different.

The media, having made all the money off the engagement there was to be made suddenly whipped out their calculators for a second bite of the cherry. Bah humbug, why are we giving them oxygen?

Meghan is wearing a tan Sentaler coat and Chloe Pixie bag per @whatmegwore

I love the color of the coat...I like the boot...can't tell about the rest. The hat, not sure about till I get a better pic of it.

LaRae

Ok LOVE the coat....not a fan of the hat.

LaRae

Horrid colour, horrid outfit. Not a fan at all I'm afraid.

I think the hat would've been better if it didn't have the side thing. It's always a little awkward to see people who don't usually wear hats wear hats at first. So I'm not going to hate on her for that. :lol:

No, I'm not a fan of the hat either. I'm a colour loving person really but I don't mind the coat and love the boots!

:previous: Yeah, she's going to have to figure out the hat thing as she goes. Glad to see it's not only us normal folks struggling with hats when we aren't used to them.

Love the coat, boots and the overall color combination! Not a fans of the hat, okay to me in the 1st pic but a huge NO in the 2nd.

Evidently people were lining up before daylight in order to see the BRF walk by.

LaRae

Yea, I think it started more than four hours before the 11am service. I think that's when some of the reporters go there, and there were already people there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom