Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: As mentioned already, this was a romantic and dreamy engagement shoot. Obviously, they weren't trying to matchy-matchy coordinate. Meghan is allowed to be herself and to have a bit of fun for this occasion. Why must she be boring, dull and conventional? She will more than likely be fairly traditional with her own bit of unique twist going forward, especially for formal occasions. But for her engagement photos in that romantic outdoor setting, she chose what she wanted to wear with some elegant flair. It's not an OTT gown. Perhaps some people are put off by the runway model pic of the couture gown, because I don't see either of the shots of Meghan wearing the gown as risque in any way.

:lol: Thanks @MARG! :D I didn't get around to actually reading through the DF tab pap, and now I don't have to as you've summarized the petty sourness over H&M's sartorial daring quite perfectly! :flowers:

Some people who genuinely like H&M do appear to be put off by the style of Meghan's gown. And then others may simply always have something to criticize when it comes to what lovely Meghan wears. Ah what will be will be. I've been more interested in seeing Ginger & Nutmeg in official engagement photos already, not going into fits over their outfits. ?

Oh and, we can still find quite a bit of Meghan's laid-back style on her Instagram, as well as in plenty of her fashion shoots and fashion-related interviews that are still up on Youtube. So we don't need to necessarily start from scratch due to the Tig being closed down. Wading through Instagram pics takes a bit more time and effort. As well, some of the pictures are no longer up, but the last time I looked there was still quite a bit there which is generous of Meghan to leave up for her pre-Harry fans. There are some gems there that I found to be revealing of Meghan's delightful style & personality.

In these fashion clips, Meghan told us about her style cues in her own words. Very revealing:

Last edited:
First off - since I've been away and missed EVERYTHING, I want to say that I liked her Christmas Luncheon dress. I've always liked Self Portrait and have a few in my closet... But my favorite part of her outfit were the earrings.

They confirm for me that Meghan is a modern classic woman in terms of her style. Instead of the basic and traditional drop earrings, she chose a diamond stud with a dropped stud ear jacket. LOVE! I love earrings with jackets and she chose that in diamond studs.

I need to find a knockoff stat! I have several more elaborate versions - now I want the simple ones!

Also - about her makeup - you can still see her freckles - she's not wearing a ton of makeup. She just has good, even toned skin. It's a blessing called melanin. She has less than I do, but same effect. I had some professional photos done and I'm wearing barely any makeup, but people think I have on more because I used some powder, mascara and blush, when I go bare faced a lot. My sister has it even better, she doesn't wear foundation at all, but with some lipstick and mascara, she magically looks fully made up. I hate her, lol. :lol:

And now for her engagement attire! SWOON! OMG I am over the moon happy about that Ralph & Russo gown! I'm a little bummed that she probably won't pick them for her wedding now, but oh - I loved it! And the photojournalistic style of the photos! My GOD! It's extremely hard sometimes to photograph people with different skin tones so both look great - but the lighting in the picture does her and Harry such justice! And the sheer (with nude lining, obviously) bodice of the gown complemented her skintone so well.

Love the white sweater she wore in the more casual picture - she looks amazing in the shades of white she chooses.

I get that there is some weeping and gnashing of teeth over the gown's cost, but 1) she didn't pay that much (see below) and 2) this dress will be seen again and 3) pretty sure she paid for it herself - she makes millions, she can easily afford that gown.

Considering it was last year's design, I'd be surprised if it wasn't on discount. Would that make people feel better? :lol:

If she bought the dress now, she most definitely didn't purchase it for full price. It was likely at least 40-50% off.

How do I know this? I regularly shop at Valentino, at a specific Valentino store. I have a great relationship with the store associates and when they do their private sale, I get an email with a list of what they have so I can buy before the public ever gets a chance to see the items (and I get a steep discount: 40-50% at least). Then after I (and other people on the special list) get a crack at the items, they put them out on the floor for the public.

And I'm not even a celebrity, or a royal that the entire world is looking at.

Given that, I'm certain Meghan didn't pay more than 40% of the cost of that gown. Especially since it's old (from 2016). It also could have been a sample, etc.. there are so many ways this could have happened.

Last edited:
The engagement pictures are very sweet, the white sweater very good, soft and tactile. The dress was a mistake. She is wearing a ball gown and he is wearing an almost casual blue suit which could make you think they are not in sync, not a good projection for an engagement photo. Not that I think they aren’t, but that is why it is a mistake. Either one of them should have dressed to the level of the other. Also, don’t like the bottom of the dress, the top is very pretty and a good color for her.

Totally agree with you 100%, I like them together, they are so in tune with each other, I just did not like that gown period......they do not appear in sycn at all in that picture, she is in an evening gown like she is coming home for a party and he is going to work at the bank......the very first thing a person sees in a picture or being introduced to someone is their appearance/clothes......that is a given, there is no way getting around that.....appearances count Period! So for me this gown is not something that goes with Harry or vice versa......they are not in sync here yet in looking at the 2nd picture they are surely in sync there, they are bounded and in love and have deep joy in each other.....sweater is fine, that is no big deal.....it is her choice for the gown that I think is what is of concern here, then this I honestly think there are lots of people out there and here that do not get the fact that there is a huge difference between being a celebrity and royal.........2 totally different worlds that they live in and play in regardless of what some say that royals are not prevalent anymore.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
And now for her engagement attire! SWOON! OMG I am over the moon happy about that Ralph & Russo gown! I'm a little bummed that she probably won't pick them for her wedding now, but oh - I loved it! And the photojournalistic style of the photos! My GOD! It's extremely hard sometimes to photograph people with different skin tones so both look great - but the lighting in the picture does her and Harry such justice! And the sheer (with nude lining, obviously) bodice of the gown complemented her skintone so well.

Love the white sweater she wore in the more casual picture - she looks amazing in the shades of white she chooses.

I get that there is some weeping and gnashing of teeth over the gown's cost, but 1) she didn't pay that much (see below) and 2) this dress will be seen again and 3) pretty sure she paid for it herself - she makes millions, she can easily afford that gown.

If she bought the dress now, she most definitely didn't purchase it for full price. It was likely at least 40-50% off.

How do I know this? I regularly shop at Valentino, at a specific Valentino store. I have a great relationship with the store associates and when they do their private sale, I get an email with a list of what they have so I can buy before the public ever gets a chance to see the items. Then after I (and other people on the special list) get a crack at the items, they put them out on the floor for the public.

And I'm not even a celebrity, or a royal that the entire world is looking at.

Given that, I'm certain Meghan didn't pay more than 40% of the cost of that gown. Especially since it's old (from 2016). It also could have been a sample, etc.. there are so many ways this could have happened.
Ok, great to finally find someone that loves this gown. I can’t ever pull this off personally, but this is a BEAUTIFUL gown. The needlework and the top is amazing. The tulle skirt serves as a nice contrast to the fitted top. I know some found Harry’s suit to be too relaxed compared to this dress, but I actually loved it. I thought this is so Meghan and quite frankly they looked high fashion. And no, that doesn’t mean Hollywood. I only wish Hollywood can look more like high fashion. I think she’s taking a chance here. I initially loved the sweater photo more because wowzer, talk about chemistry between those two. However, the more I look at this portrait, the more I like what’s going on here. It’s a lot more interesting from a fashion perspective. If he’s more dressy, I think it’s be quite boring. It’d just looked like they had pretty clothes and put it on. However, there is some sense of satirical humor with everything. I know people are so sick of Harry in blue suits, so am I, but this is one time I can look past.

And yes, I’ve been to sample sales and prices aren’t the same as they are in stores. :lol: I highly doubt all the stylists pay retail for these things. She has ways to procure those pieces through different channels. It’s also couture, which sometimes isn’t exactly easy to sell. With it being the only piece, it’s only as expensive as they can find a buyer for.

Their must be other photos than what I’ve seen. A few people have commented on a white jumper I can only see a very small area of white shoulder which I can’t see what style etc etc

Totally agree with you 100%, I like them together, they are so in tune with each other, I just did not like that gown period......they do not appear in sycn at all in that picture, she is in an evening gown like she is coming home for a party and he is going to work at the bank......the very first thing a person sees in a picture or being introduced to someone is their appearance/clothes......that is a given, there is no way getting around that.....appearances count Period! So for me this gown is not something that goes with Harry or vice versa......they are not in sync here yet in looking at the 2nd picture they are surely in sync there, they are bounded and in love and have deep joy in each other.....sweater is fine, that is no big deal.....it is her choice for the gown that I think is what is of concern here, then this I honestly think there are lots of people out there and here that do not get the fact that there is a huge difference between being a celebrity and royal.........2 totally different worlds that they live in and play in regardless of what some say that royals are not prevalent anymore.

(..)
You realize this is ONE dress, right? And for a special occasion. If this is a typical thing from her, I can see your point. However, what we’ve seen is that this dress is atypical for her clothing. There are times where glamour is needed and a good thing. While royals aren’t celebrity, they do realize the need for that. People are acting like she’s out of touch and just want to play dress up all day, and that’s just not what’s been happening. She dressed appropriately for Nottingham and I have no doubt she’ll be dressing for work when it’s time to work. But this is her time and her engagement photo. It’s not work, and it shouldn’t be work. With the way people have been acting, I almost wish they just have an entirely private wedding and do whatever they want and not let the outside in. People always seem to find something wrong with everything and then blow one dress completely out of proportion. They are being generous by sharing those special moments with us, but with the way people are acting, it’s just not worth it.

Yes, it IS worth it, jacqui, though I know how you feel as there has been so much criticism about the wedding date and then Meghan's engagement clothing (and I did like the top). Harry and Meghan are going to have an absolutely terrific wedding that will knock everybody for six. I can feel it, and I'm so looking forward to it!

(..)

If Meghan and Harry hadn't posted that candid shot, most people wouldn't have realized she was wearing a ballgown. Most people thought she was wearing a top/skirt and not even a dress.

If you take the engagement photo at face value and forget what you don't see in the picture, they are in sync. It's only because you know it's a full ballgown (because they were nice enough to share a candid photo) that any contrast is seen.

But even with her wearing a gown - I still think she and Harry look wonderful together and I love that they are not matching in color. I love that Harry's suit gives the photo more color and depth - much like the nude-backed black sheer bodice of Meghan's gown gives more depth.

And of course - they just look SO happy. I hope everyone who wants to finds love as they obviously have.

Yes, it IS worth it, jacqui, though I know how you feel as there has been so much criticism about the wedding date and then Meghan's engagement clothing (and I did like the top). Harry and Meghan are going to have an absolutely terrific wedding that will knock everybody for six. I can feel it, and I'm so looking forward to it!

Oh, I don’t mean not for us. For me, I’m always happy to support the moments of celebration this couple is willing to share with us in their love story. I meant a it’s almost not worth for them to go through the trouble sharing all of this with the public only to have it shredded into pieces over something trivial.

If Meghan and Harry hadn't posted that candid shot, most people wouldn't have realized she was wearing a ballgown. Most people thought she was wearing a top/skirt and not even a dress.

If you take the engagement photo at face value and forget what you don't see in the picture, they are in sync. It's only because you know it's a full ballgown (because they were nice enough to share a candid photo) that any contrast is seen.

But even with her wearing a gown - I still think she and Harry look wonderful together and I love that they are not matching in color. I love that Harry's suit gives the photo more color and depth - much like the nude-backed black sheer bodice of Meghan's gown gives more depth.

And of course - they just look SO happy. I hope everyone who wants to finds love as they obviously have.
I was thinking this as well. In the seated photo you don't really see much of the dress. It could have been as you say an elegant top and skirt.

Without the candid photo and more especially without the picture of the runway model wearing the actual see through version of the dress there wouldn't have been all the gasping about the "inappropriate" sheer dress when in the photos it is clear Meghan's version is lined.

And yes, the love and happiness radiates from those photos.

Once again this thread has had a major clean-up. As said before this is a thread about fashion only! It is not a thread about Meghan Markle's career, her future role, other princesses and their development. Also this is not a place to discuss the couple's relationship or the relationships towards other family members. The couple has an own subforum with a large number of extra threads that can be used for various of the above mentioned topics. Further off-topic posts and comments will be deleted without notice! Thank you for your understanding!

Oh, I don’t mean not for us. For me, I’m always happy to support the moments of celebration this couple is willing to share with us in their love story. I meant a it’s almost not worth for them to go through the trouble sharing all of this with the public only to have it shredded into pieces over something trivial.

Agreed - and you could say that them being kind enough to give us that candid shot opened Meghan up to this because prior to that it was very hard to tell she was wearing a floor length gown. People would have griped about the money, but before the candid, they weren't griping about the style as much.

I was excited to see everything we got and loved it all. Such gorgeous photos... I'm still over the moon over them.

@FashionMaven is not the only person who loves this gown on Meghan @Jacqui. LOL! But I definitely appreciate how FashionMaven has brought so much to the conversation with her knowledge of top level designer fashion, and how to buy some upscale attire for less! Thanks @FashionMaven.

I understand your objections @M. Payton, but I do not agree with your feelings about the gown Meghan chose. It's certainly nothing to be so upset about IMHO. I noticed the difference in how H&M were dressed, but they were still both nicely dressed. I think it's refreshing and different, and probably came about organically. Probably Meghan changed into the ballgown at Windsor when they left the Christmas party early. And then they likely met up with Alexi Lubo and made the excursion to Frogmore for the shoot. Seems like a reasonable scenario. Harry seemingly remained in the suit he wore to the party, and brought along the Burberry jacket. And Meghan brought the white jumper to place over the gown for the b&w photo. I really like the cut of those trousers on Harry. It's a bit darker blue suit than the one he wore for the KP photo op.

Again, it was a time for some glam and some romance. I'm all about the positives that Meghan brings to the royals because of her background in the high profile entertainment industry. However, the fact remains that she was not much of a big time celebrity and not that well known outside of industry circles, aside from fans of Suits. I don't really equate her choice of ballgown to something that's too OTT celebrity. Despite being an actor who partly grew up on a Hollywood television set, she's never been a party-holic Hollywood personality, nor did she ever appear in celebrity publications and tabloid gossip, until she began dating Harry. She has been a fashionista with a laid-back casual L.A. style; she became more sophisticated and upscale when she moved to Toronto for Suits and began meeting and befriending top designers. She also became a close friend of her stylist, Jessica Mulroney. Misha Nonoo is another close designer friend of Meghan's, as is Roland Mouret. And reportedly, Meghan was recently introduced to Victoria Beckham by Kate.

Please listen to what Meghan says in this revealing fashion interview. It explains her mojo when it comes to how and why she chooses what she wears. Is it possible to listen to this and to understand why she chose the R&R ballgown? I think it is!
"Personal style is about what makes you feel confident and beautiful... If there's something that you really love and you want to give it a shot, I don't think you should be afraid of trying it from a fashion perspective. Fashion should be fun!... At the end of the day, the whole idea is to be open and playful and to experiment with your looks and style. So if you're dressing in what makes you feel comfortable and confident, and you have fun with it, I guess the secret's out." ;)

Now, what's not to love about this spirited, stylish and personable young lady?

Last edited:
Ok, great to finally find someone that loves this gown. I can’t ever pull this off personally, but this is a BEAUTIFUL gown. The needlework and the top is amazing. The tulle skirt serves as a nice contrast to the fitted top. I know some found Harry’s suit to be too relaxed compared to this dress, but I actually loved it. I thought this is so Meghan and quite frankly they looked high fashion. And no, that doesn’t mean Hollywood. I only wish Hollywood can look more like high fashion. I think she’s taking a chance here. I initially loved the sweater photo more because wowzer, talk about chemistry between those two. However, the more I look at this portrait, the more I like what’s going on here. It’s a lot more interesting from a fashion perspective. If he’s more dressy, I think it’s be quite boring. It’d just looked like they had pretty clothes and put it on. However, there is some sense of satirical humor with everything. I know people are so sick of Harry in blue suits, so am I, but this is one time I can look past.

And yes, I’ve been to sample sales and prices aren’t the same as they are in stores. :lol: I highly doubt all the stylists pay retail for these things. She has ways to procure those pieces through different channels. It’s also couture, which sometimes isn’t exactly easy to sell. With it being the only piece, it’s only as expensive as they can find a buyer for.

Exactly. The fact that the gown was even still available means that it wasn't flying off the shelf.

And I so agree with your comments about Harry and Meghan being not matchy matchy. They match enough, but there is something just slightly off that gives the photo so much more interest. I'm obsessed with the picture - like obsessed with it. There is just the slightest contrast between them that makes you look more closely at the details - the stunning embroidery on her gown and the impeccable tailoring of his suit.

I forgot who said this once - but I think it was in reference to both fashion and interior design - that the most intriguing and successful pictures of homes and fashion tend to have just one thing that's slightly off - in a way that it becomes more of a delightful surprise.

I love her gown and his suit all the more for the "delight" of it - since it was unexpected.

It almost reminded me of those photo shoots with interior designers and aristocrats showing off their homes in ballgowns, while hubbies are in regular suits. But Meghan and Harry did it better, imo.

Okay here, listen to me and what I say........I do not like this gown on her period......and that is my opinion and I am not going to change it period. It screamed out at me Hollywood and not BRF and that is my honest opinion.

I think Meghan has great charm and a great personality from what I see here and out there yet she is in a difficult place now, she is no longer an actress and as such that should not entered into new way of life, she is becoming a royal wife to a born royal member of one of the oldest families in royal history....*huge difference here*, things have to be and will be very different for and there is NOBODY saying she has to give up her personality period.........times change we all know that.........yet we all must uphold to the values and traditions of family and this is her new family....that comes first now.......so again..........I do not like that gown.......PERIOD and yes I realized it was a gown before the 3rd picture....google is my friend always..........?

:previous: Of course you do not have to change your opinion about the gown @M. Payton. We can all coexist with our different opinions and still enjoy following H&M. :flowers:

@FashionMaven, if you check out the first video I posted in post #234, you will notice that's exactly what Meghan has said ("...Nothing has to be perfectly put together, in fact it's important that it's not... so that you look effortlessly chic.") I already pointed that out about her style motto in relation to Harry probably not matching on purpose, in order for them to have that more interesting contrast. Or else the difference between styles in what they were wearing just happened organically, as these two are rather adventurous and spur-of-the-moment. ?

As Meghan said, "Fashion should be fun." And she obviously went with what was fun and comfortable for her, and which made her feel confident for this rare and romantic photo shoot. Again, she may have already had this gown in her wardrobe, having possibly splurged on it, or received a steep discount on it sometime ago. Or, it could be loaned.

Aside from the fact that the gown was privately obtained, maybe by Meghan herself since she can afford it, another thing to think about in general regarding royal clothing costs are these words from Brian Hoey, in his book Not in Front of the Corgis:

"Nobody outside the household really know the luxurious extent of the lifestyle of the Royal Family. Outwardly, they give the impression of being frugal and parsimonious - which they are ... but it does not apply to what they eat, drink, wear, drive and ride..."

Last edited:
MaiaMaia:

I understand where every one is coming from here about this gown, yet some do not like and others love it.......no big deal. I am not upset over this gown, it screamed out at me of another time and place in Meghan's life that is all. One thing here I said before, *appearances count, that is a give and that is the very first thing anyone sees in a picture or in meeting someone, your appearance first and for most is up front*.......so to me I did not like it on her or anyone else for that matter period. And do not even go there about the cost for if I had that kind of money there is still no way I would spend it on a gown...I like my bank to grow and grow and not spend it on things that might go out of style next year or the year after......being conservative.

I did not like the 1st picture, it did not show to me a couple in sync and that is me not anyone else.....fine I am okay with that.
And as I said before there is a *huge difference between being a celebrity and a royal regardless of what anyone says*...maybe we should ask a few crown princesses that came from where Meghan is to now and what they have learned about the fishbowl they are living in.........

Meghan is a hard working young lady, very well educated and intelligent and committed and charming and all the good things in life and I love that about her.......yet there is a difference that makes me stop and think that maybe she is not understanding all that it is to be a royal wife of this family that has long standing traditions down through the times in history books that we all read..she is going to be in those history books now forever and that is something she has to live up to. No one is asking her to change her personality here or whatever......

Yet some here are being scorned for having their own opinion of this gown is so wrong........we all can not think alike here......we all see things different and I see things different then even from my sister....and yes we do disagree to agree all the time which makes us closer then ever.
Okay done with this topic and off to something less ........:flowers::flowers:

Okay here, listen to me and what I say........I do not like this gown on her period......and that is my opinion and I am not going to change it period. It screamed out at me Hollywood and not BRF and that is my honest opinion.

I think Meghan has great charm and a great personality from what I see here and out there yet she is in a difficult place now, she is no longer an actress and as such that should not entered into new way of life, she is becoming a royal wife to a born royal member of one of the oldest families in royal history....*huge difference here*, things have to be and will be very different for and there is NOBODY saying she has to give up her personality period.........times change we all know that.........yet we all must uphold to the values and traditions of family and this is her new family....that comes first now.......so again..........I do not like that gown.......PERIOD and yes I realized it was a gown before the 3rd picture....google is my friend always..........?
No one has said anyone has to like the gown. But to many of us it isn't Hollywood at all. (And Hollywood is not universally a negative.) I can see many royals in many countries-even in Britain, wearing Meghan's dress to certain events, it's not really a dress unsuitable for royalty. (Meghan's version of the dress not the runway version-totally different.)
It is a little over the top to extrapolate from one dress choice that Meghan isn't choosing the correct clothing for her new life. And has to learn how. I get that for whatever reason this dress offended you deeply but I don't understand it.:flowers:

Last edited:
(..) Harry and Meghan looked so lost in love I initially missed the supposed see through element of the gown. Probably because I didn't see through! And I am wearing new spectacles.

(..)

Yes, we all have our differing opinions, which is not unusual. H&M apparently had a fun time at Frogmore with Alexi. I too feel that the gown is not really OTT celebrity Hollywood. It's not immodest or scandalous. It's luxurious, elegant and sophisticated, with a daring edge to it on the runway. On Meghan, it simply looks elegant and stylish. She wears it with sparkle and flair. There's nothing see-through about it in the engagement photos.

This was a rare occasion and they wore what was right and comfortable for them. There's no way for them to please all of the people all of the time in their clothing choices, so they might as well please themselves when it comes to enjoying this one-of-a-kind photo shoot. I like how relaxed and unselfconsciously affectionate they are with each other.

As others have mentioned, this one occasion does not tell us about Meghan's style choices going forward. That's the interesting thing though. They are fun to watch, and they obviously have the advantage of a bit more freedom in their personal and public style choices since Harry will not be inheriting the throne. They are not going to be flouting important royal traditions. But they certainly had personal leeway for this photo shoot. There's nothing that required them to be stiff and overly formal or matchy in their choices. The photos and what they are wearing just look fun, chic and pulled together, yet casual in a very romantic setting.

Meghan has an ease and an edge to her style, so let's see what happens going forward. First up will be what we see her wearing to church at Sandringham on Christmas Day.

(..)

I'm generally very conservative about clothing and nothing about the top concerned me. When I first saw the pic I thought oh some people are not going to like that. However it's lined and she's not a chesty girl so it looks fine on her.

(..)

LaRae

( ..) these photos are nice the gown not the worlds greatest choice, they are only No 2 so it is a bit of a shame about the price tag IMO she obvious loved it ... so good luck to them I hope Harry has made the choice he can live with in the long term.. and this is all IMO naturally

(..) She's really not put a foot wrong, regardless of this contrived outrage over the dress.

LaRae

MaiaMaia:

I understand where every one is coming from here about this gown, yet some do not like and others love it.......no big deal. I am not upset over this gown, it screamed out at me of another time and place in Meghan's life that is all. One thing here I said before, *appearances count, that is a give and that is the very first thing anyone sees in a picture or in meeting someone, your appearance first and for most is up front*.......so to me I did not like it on her or anyone else for that matter period. And do not even go there about the cost for if I had that kind of money there is still no way I would spend it on a gown...I like my bank to grow and grow and not spend it on things that might go out of style next year or the year after......being conservative.

I did not like the 1st picture, it did not show to me a couple in sync and that is me not anyone else.....fine I am okay with that.
And as I said before there is a *huge difference between being a celebrity and a royal regardless of what anyone says*...maybe we should ask a few crown princesses that came from where Meghan is to now and what they have learned about the fishbowl they are living in.........

Meghan is a hard working young lady, very well educated and intelligent and committed and charming and all the good things in life and I love that about her.......yet there is a difference that makes me stop and think that maybe she is not understanding all that it is to be a royal wife of this family that has long standing traditions down through the times in history books that we all read..she is going to be in those history books now forever and that is something she has to live up to. No one is asking her to change her personality here or whatever......

Yet some here are being scorned for having their own opinion of this gown is so wrong........we all can not think alike here......we all see things different and I see things different then even from my sister....and yes we do disagree to agree all the time which makes us closer then ever.
Okay done with this topic and off to something less ........:flowers::flowers:

The thing I’m not understanding is what deep tradition she’s breaking here? An expensive gown? That train left long before Harry laid eyes on her. Glamour? Why do you think Kate and Diana in her days had gowns commissioned? It’s not to be unglamorous. Meghan does wear designer gowns better, and I feel like she’s being faulted for having more charisma and beauty than current members of the royal family. They do all like glamour on occasion and that’s needed for this family. Meghan just happen to shine more. For those expecting the light to just go out within her once she marries is being unrealistic. She’s beautiful, charasmatic, and has the it factor. She shouldn’t have to dim it or apologize for it.

You can dislike the gown from a fashion perspective. I’d completely understand as this gown isnt a cookie cutter gown and bound to ruffle some feathers, but to act like she somehow is not understanding or respecting the magnitude of what she’s marrying into is just too much. And honestly, considering the history of this family is enough drama to put any Hollywood plot line to shame, I’d say there is hardly room for judgment here. She’s not marrying into some perfect history that she’s staining, that’s for sure. And traditions all evolve over time. The Queen has evolved for goodness’ sake.

When I initially saw the dress, I didn’t realize it was lined, and I chuckled a little. I knew that would ruffle some feathers, but it’s not like you can see anything you shouldn’t. :lol: It is more daring than anything the current members of the royal family would do, but it’s tastefully done and taking chances is what makes fashion great. My disinterest in this family before Meghan and Harry was just that, complete boredom with all the cookie cutter fashion choices. I’m glad to see that Meghan didn’t drop some of her own edginess because of this family. Heaven knows we need it. Meghan’s late mother in law to be took chances in her fashion once she found her own and became a world icon for it.

Last edited:
It seems to me that some people just don't like Harry's fiancé. No idea why. She seems like a smart, hardworking young woman who is delightfully mature. I think he has chosen well.

It is a dress for a star for Holliwood and not for a princess to be

Why? It's not revealing, as it's fully lined. The skirt is "princessy" because it's all tulle (and lined properly). I think it's fine to say the style isn't your taste, but I think it's exactly a gown a princess would wear - exactly the way Meghan wore it.

The skirt is gorgeous to me (I've always liked more forward styles - though it's kinda become done at this point, which is why it makes sense the gown is from 1-2 years ago) - I remember a similar skirt on a Chanel gown sometime back - and all of the other designers copied.

The bodice gives the illusion of sheerness - but isn't sheer. I remember wearing a similar top (short sleeved peplum nude/black corded lace top) and one of my colleagues thought at first that I was being risque at work, but then realized it was just fabric. We got a good laugh out of that.

I still think her choice was stunning. Loved it.

Here I am in the fashion thread, drinking some desperately needed coffee and realizing that when the H&M couple abbreviation meets that fateful day when Meghan wears something by designer H&M, my head will explode. I know it will happen.

For the purposes of discussing fashion only, I am switching to G/N to refer to the royal couple.;)

Not something a princess would wear? Have you see Princess Charlene of Monaco..or any of the other women of Monaco?

Kate has worn some very 'not' princess dresses (can we talk about huge leg slits and open backs)?

Diana, Margaret, Princess Michael....go back and look at their clothing!

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom