Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to tell what Meghan's fashion as a royal will be like, but I do really like her style so far - it has an edge to it an the plain, darker colours suit her a lot.

Actually she is dressing like a normal person. I would totally wear that whole outfit and not be uncomfortable.

Agree 100%. :flowers: I think that may be what we see with her. Of course, only time will tell, but I don't think she'll be a clothes horse. She'll be doing the equivalent of opening her closet and coming up with an outfit (like Anne). She's not going to be a fashion-plate. I may get proved wrong but it will be interesting to see what she does. ;)

Last edited:
I can find nothing wrong with the outfit from today. The turtleneck/skirt combo was great with Harry and his "no tie" outfit. The coat was lovely and her hair looked fine. I do wish she had put on a pair of earrings, but that's just me.

I actually loved the top/skirt combo, I would wear it in a "red hot minute". The skirt especially.

I echo the above. She looks wonderful. Particularly love the skirt.

I could really have done with a 'standout' colour'.. We are used to [female] Royals being identifiable in a crowd, and Ms Markle just wasn't.
I appreciate 'fine tuning will likely take year or two, but even I could workout that a pop of strong colour [big scarf/beanie hat, ANYTHING] would make me stand out in a mêlée as THE person they came to see...

I could really have done with a 'standout' colour'.. We are used to [female] Royals being identifiable in a crowd, and Ms Markle just wasn't.

I appreciate 'fine tuning will likely take year or two, but even I could workout that a pop of strong colour [big scarf/beanie hat, ANYTHING] would make me stand out in a mêlée as THE person they came to see...

Maybe that is the way she will see it. :flowers: I don't see her buying into royalty in that way. We have to remember she is not going to be the wife of an heir. They are looking at a more normalized life, a hybrid of the Wessexes and Tindalls (or maybe Anne is a better comparison).

While I thought the outfit was just okay, I really liked the coat. One thing I didn't care for were the slouchy boots. They looked odd paired with that particular skirt.

Outfit without the coat

Coming out of the gate, I think that Meghan is doing quite well. As a start, that white wrap coat and forest green wool dress were beautifully understated, but also a nod to the colors of Diana's white garden, where H&M stood for photographers. Meghan looked quite perfect. Some people complain about her skinny legs, but I think her legs are very striking and elegant -- she has long legs and arms, a long neck and a short torso -- she's small-boned and quite feminine and pretty. She wears heels very well, but I've also seen her in flat comfortable shoes quite often. For formal events and most public occasions, she will likely wear heels. Meghan is very dainty and sweet, but she's no lightweight either physically or intellectually. She's been doing yoga from the age of 7, so she's quite fit and she's developed a health and beauty routine that obviously works well for her.

What Meghan wore to announce the engagement is a subtle tribute to Diana's memory (thereby an inclusion of Diana in the joy she and Harry are experiencing). Of course, the engagement ring Harry designed using two of Diana's gems also symbolizes those same sentiments of heartfelt love and inclusion.

I agree that the British weather is something Meghan will come to learn about in regard to how she styles her hair. But it was quite fine this day. I didn't see her having any trouble with it at all. She usually wears casual hats mainly for protection against the sun, e.g., her trusty Panama hat, and of course her beanie in the winter. Therefore, it will be interesting to see how she chooses and carries off wearing dress hats at formal occasions, such as for church at Sandringham, and at Royal Ascot, etc. I can't wait for that photo op of M&H walking amidst other members of the royal family, including immediate family and cousins.

From a distance, I thought the overcoat seemed boring at the Nottingham event. But it was a cold somewhat overcast day. When I got a good close-up look of W&H together, I thought the outfit was suitable and comfortable for the day and the weather. In general though, it's true that with the dark navy overcoat, Meghan did not stand out in the crowd. Neither did Harry from a distance, aside from his ginger hair. So perhaps a colorful scarf worn by Meghan might have helped. I do wonder if the boots gave her any trouble during the day since they are over the knee. Likely she shirred them down a bit below her knee for comfort when sitting and walking around inside.

The way Meghan's beige skirt peaked out from the navy double-breasted coat was definitely quite lovely and refreshing. Plus the styling and cut on the front of the coat is distinctively tailored. But yes, in a crowd that can not be seen from a distance. In one of the video clips, later in the day, Meghan had removed her coat, and I saw a glimpse of the skirt's back. It really is nicely styled and stunning looking on her. The boots are quite fine too but maybe not the best choice for this type of event. Still, if she found them comfortable enough, they were certainly stylish and went fashionably well with the skirt. It was a good touch how well the beige of Meghan's skirt coordinated with the beige scarf around Harry's neck. ? There are more details and close-up looks here:

Meghan's Fashion - What Meghan Markle Wore (lots of pictures)
https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/ (ditto re pictures)
KG by Kurt Geiger Violet Black Suede Over the Knee Boots - Meghan Markle's Boots - Meghan's Fashion
Meghan's Mirror – Meghan Markle Fashion Blog | Chronicling Meghan's Chic, Classic and Casual Style
The skirt's currently on sale for about $856 -- there's a link
Mackage wool coat is $790
Wolford Portland turtleneck $250 Sold out from all sources
Kurt Geiger black suede over-the-knee boots 229 pounds

A brief clip of Meghan and Harry indoors with their outerwear removed:

Overall, Meghan is quite stylish, elegant, and refreshing. She will learn as she goes and I'm sure she understands that every aspect of what she's undertaking will be a learning process. For now, she certainly equipped to handle it with her savvy style, grace and depth of intelligence and caring. She's definitely about being hands-on and engaged with the challenges ahead of her. I think it's wise she decided to start afresh with a clean slate and take time to decide which charities to focus her efforts on under the Royal Foundation umbrella, while making intensive efforts to become steeped in a better knowledge of her adopted country.

Last edited:
I love both of Meghan's outfits, particularly her engagement look. I think her choice of white was perfectly fine, it shouldn't just be reserved for wedding days. If we're going by that theory then black should be reserved for funerals too.

Actually she is dressing like a normal person. I would totally wear that whole outfit and not be uncomfortable.

Me too. I think that due to her acting background, it will still take some people (not accusing Rudolph in particular of this, as I've seen this many other times in the media) to adjust to her, and this includes her fashion choices. I guess people will still expect her to wear typical celebrity red carpet style clothes, even though Meghan wasn't wearing those sorts of clothes before the engagement.

White reserved for her wedding day only????. :ermm:

No, I think I didn't express myself well. Of course, you can wear white anytime you want but for an engagement announcement, I would choose another color and leave white for the wedding day! Queen Letizia also wore a white pantsuit and I just think it's not the right color for an engagement event, that's all! ?

That's the point, though...she may be a "normal person" and dress like one but she is now in an extraordinary role. If I want to see a "normal person" I can look at my neighbour!
I don't want to raise the issue, but it's the old "we don't want a normal Royal Family" vs "we want a down-to-earth Royal Family". It's a difficult balance...:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part One: November 2017 -

Personally, I don't buy into this need to wear something bright to stand out. The glimpse of the beige skirt achieved this anyway.
My hope for Meghan is that she will break the "no no" of British royals wearing smart trousers for engagements.

The only thing I didn't like was the boots. I think she got a crash course in why heavier (lined0 suede boots are worn by Camilla et al . . .it's freezing doing a walkabout and the cold creeps through the thin soles. We'll see if she changes them.

All in all a terrific start to her new life if a little dark.

Last edited:
don't get what someone mean by celebrity...i don't see where it's celeb, it looks very practical to me.That coat is alright,don't really like it but I love the rest of her outfit.very chic.I especially love the skirt,so different from what I was expecting her to wear and thank God for that�� I'm really hoping she doesn't start to dress like some of the royals.Best for her to stay true to her own style.

I agree with MARG. I didn't like her boots at all!

Yes, I think the sense of casual comfort and accessibility but smart styling and sophistication that Meghan's clothes give off are why so many people are interested in following what she wears. Some of her accessories and a few other items are generally affordable. The Everlane tote she carried at the Invictus Games, her sunglasses, some of her shoes and tops are reasonably priced. For e.g., the Wolford Portland turtleneck is the most affordable item she wore today (for some pocketbooks ;)), and it's already sold out from most available sources. There's definitely quite a number of avid fans following Meghan around the world, and loving her refreshing style.

The exciting thing right now is seeing how Meghan meets the challenges of adapting her casual refreshing style to the necessities of being a royal wife. I think she will learn the best route to take in a nod to tradition and to practicalities, but she will also be retaining her own identity, and making some unique choices to keep things interesting. Meghan prefers a certain color palette, so let's see how she adapts to the demands of different occasions. I think in general, she will keep things simple and understated, because that's part of her style. And that's what makes her style so appealing.

Meghan has definitely had some style influence over Prince Harry's sartorial choices these days. I do love how they coordinate well with each other.

style influence over Prince Harry's sartorial choices

I've yet to meet a Woman who doesn't either 'make over' her Man or at least seek to do so...

Yes, I loved everything about her look today. The tote, the boots, the skirt, the coat all worked well together. She looked great.

:previous:Agreed! She looked wonderful. Loved the skirt and top.

without the boots this could be a great outfit,nice skirt and very pretty coat unfortunately the boots ruined the look

I actually did yesterday, wore a long navy coat, black boots and a black turtleneck. Thought I was quite boring, but now I feel great since apparently I was very celebrity:ROFLMAO:.

without the boots this could be a great outfit,nice skirt and very pretty coat unfortunately the boots ruined the look
The worst thing of the lot is knowing that her boots crumpled around the ankles because of her slim legs! She may be petite but wow I certainly didn't recognise the boots in the advertisement as the boots she wore.

I'm pretty sure the "crumpled" boots were a style choice and I liked how they looked myself.

QFT, this is a simple outfit that has nothing wrong with it. Respectful and more reserved than I expected.
Nothing Meghan has worn is like Diana, I wish people would stop making connections that aren't there with that woman.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the "crumpled" boots were a style choice and I liked how they looked myself.

Agreed. The heel was perfect too - very current and fresh. Those boots look like a black suede version of the YSL silver boots - are they?

Honestly I loved her whole look. It was perfect, imo. I especially love seeing that she recycles her clothes - she wore that same coat a year ago. It's refreshing that she hasn't seem to run out to buy a whole new wardrobe. She's wearing the clothes she already has.

I love her style and am excited because it jibes so well with my own... classic but with a modern edge. I sometimes go more edgy, but good enough, lol.

This is gonna be awesome following her fashion over the years...

My guess is she will add pieces as needed for formal events ...and slowly add in 'working' clothes to mix in with her current 'working' type wardrobe.

LaRae

Every thing she wore is perfect except for the *Boots*, they ruined the outfit for me. That skirt is to die for, how feminine, sexy and yet very appropriate. And the top turtle neck is just fine for it matched the thin belt which I loved. She did not go wrong on this outfit, would wear it to work in a law office any day of the week. She seems to love long straight hair, and at times it is unruly as it flies away, heck my hair flies away when the wind blows so that is really no big deal. Us women that love long hair have that problem, no need to chop it off all because of the wind...anyhow I see this as a positive step for her and that is to be expected from her. Meghan knows exactly what she is doing here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom