The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Courtier

I do not understand this look today. She's at a sporting event, a sporty coat and trainers would have been acceptable. She looks completely out of touch in heels and a billowing, ill fitting trench coat.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

Read all the comments about today's event and Meghan's clothes........she looked great IMHO. I so love that trench coat, the color is fabulous and the style. Most trench coats that I have seen and have one are ugly tan, this one stands out on it's own. So she wears small rings, hair flies, heels on the pavement and grass, she will learn here ladies...just give her time!

Old 04-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Gentry

She may not be sporty but there are videos of her working out with a trainer from her Suits days. It may have been a company funded trainer so when she left she lost him/her.

I don’t wear rings, but even I would never dream of wearing an engagement ring that loose. Not while knowing my fiancée took part in designing it and two of the stones in it used to be belong to his late mother. So there’s even more sentimentality value added to it behyond being an engagement ring. That’s just not a very responsible thing to do. Also that ring had to have cost a great sum of money...

As for the “giving her time” sure when it comes to overall engagements, but dressing properly for a sport event? That’a Just common sense. I don’t care about the rings (even if I do find thumb rings ummm, actually best not to say), but no stilleto, hair up... common fashion sense.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Perfect figure, perfect clothes.....
Old 04-06-2018, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

It should have been easy to dress for today she shouldn’t need help. I cant believe she wore heels
Old 04-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

She's shown very little innate sense of style or fashion so far, so she'd better be using a stylist, and that stylist should be fired stat! She's either worn boring things in boring colors, over-priced and not attractive dresses, sloppily fitting clothing and shoes, and 'theme' dressing to match the pony on one engagement and the Irish Nationalist flag colors on a trip to NI. Her hair is always a mess, etc. etc.

Regarding giving her a chance, I think she's had lots of chances and so far she shows no inkling that she's not impressing. Her job is going to be representing the Crown, if she can't learn how to do it correctly then she needs to seek advise. And if the advise she is getting is not working, she needs to keep looking. Really, it's not rocket science!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Majesty

I remember when Harry and Meghan were dating. One of the so called advantages Meghan had from other royal brides is her experience as a celebrity.

We were told that being an actress and walking red carpets would be a plus.

So far I haven’t seen it.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Majesty

Nothing has been inappropriate or shocking....she just needs to consult other fashion stylists to incorporate some new things into her current way of dressing.

LaRae
Old 04-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Commoner

She also should try different types of colors, other than neutrals or dark all the time, plus changing her really long coats
Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
With you on the meh. It's only 14C/58F degrees there, so I get why she needs a jacket, but one that went with the jeans and polo would be much better. The trench doesn't, and so she doesn't look styled, just like she grabbed something on the way out the door to deal with the weather.
Why must she looked 'styled'? I don't get it.

I think its fine if she grabs something that looks good on her way out the door (though I do think she puts thought into anything she wears, just like we all do before we step outside). The only time she needs to look 'styled' is for an event calling for dress-up or bling. Otherwise, why not be just a regular person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I am revising my opinion. Thumbs up. She dressed for the participants, not for the press (and royal watchers). Puts the focus on the event and the athletes. Most appropriate for this appearance.
I see it the same way. She's never going to be a look-at-me kind of person (as we have had with previous royals). I think that's what we're seeing. She's not about upstaging anyone. Rather she is fitting in (though in her way).

I liked her outfit. Looked fine to me.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
She's shown very little innate sense of style or fashion so far, so she'd better be using a stylist, and that stylist should be fired stat! She's either worn boring things in boring colors, over-priced and not attractive dresses, sloppily fitting clothing and shoes, and 'theme' dressing to match the pony on one engagement and the Irish Nationalist flag colors on a trip to NI. Her hair is always a mess, etc. etc.

Regarding giving her a chance, I think she's had lots of chances and so far she shows no inkling that she's not impressing. Her job is going to be representing the Crown, if she can't learn how to do it correctly then she needs to seek advise. And if the advise she is getting is not working, she needs to keep looking. Really, it's not rocket science!
(...)

What would any of us do in Meghan's shoes, try walking in those shoes, heels if they are, and then judge with a bit of kindness instead of being so negative about everything she wears or does.

And just how long has she been doing this....a few months at the most.....not like years now.....some of us just do not know rockets for we are not scientists in that field....
Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Aristocracy

Back to the boring clothing..and.while i don't mind the rest the coat is out of.place in my opinion
Old 04-06-2018, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

OK. I went back and forth in this thread. Seeing the pix I thought she looked boring and was ready to give up on her ever wearing an appealing outfit. But then I got into the thread with people stating she should have worn different shoes, put her hair up, she looks "out of touch" and it made me not want to contribute in the dog pile. (..)
While she was dating Harry the dressed much better than she does now; I for one don't mind she wore heels and I think it sets her a part.
(..)
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Whoa, seems there is a lot of jealousy and anger directed to Meghan and some really have it out for Meghan it seems, so please tell me why aren't some here with all their knowledge of fashion work for her as a stylist?

What would any of us do in Meghan's shoes, try walking in those shoes, heels if they are, and then judge with a bit of kindness instead of being so negative about everything she wears or does.

And just how long has she been doing this....a few months at the most.....not like years now.....some of us just do not know rockets for we are not scientists in that field....
(..)

What would I do in Meghan's shoes? Realize I have a lot to learn in a short time frame and get some good advise from a non-friend, preferably someone who is familiar with the history and people of the UK. Level-headed and wise advisers, such as Catherine Quinn, are worth their weight in gold. Find one! (..) Don't think you know everything or can get by with flying by the seat of your pants, it will not be well received! I could continue, but that's enough.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Majesty

(..)

I googled Meghan and her summer wardrobe definitely has colour. There are a lot of dresses in block colours but there are also the odd patterns and prints. Unfortunate, they would all be too big for her.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really like Meghan, but since she started doing engagements with Harry and fashion style leaves a lot to be desired. Her style is not horrible, far from it, but it's a bit loose, without control, like she is not serious when choosing her clothes. Just grabs something and that's it, without effort and this is the result we get (too dark, big jackets, no color, unfitted clothes, messy hair...). But...at the same time it looks like it's made on purpose, it looks like she chooses to be this way to be discreet, to be simple and more approachable. I really don't know which way it is...We shall see if her style changes or not when she marries...
Old 04-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Btw I forgot to state that Meghan looks good but the jacket is horrible and her hair like always looks bad. I think the looks would be passable if it wasn't for that jacket.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 04-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Majesty

(..)

Glad to hear we may have color coming! Interested to see what she wears to CHOGM (or whatever that acronym is).

LaRae
Old 04-06-2018, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I really had to do a double take when I saw the heels at the stadium! Another oversized, too big, too long coat and hair flying and touching it. How about the same jacket as Harry, sneakers or shoes akin to what Harry is wearing. And hair under control. If nobody is advising her, then she should copy Harry as much as possible.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Majesty

IT seems to me that what has happened is that some people think that the person in Suits and the person on the red carpet and giving interviews was the Real Meghan.

That was Meghan the Actress - at work.

In the same way that some think that Catherine likes wearing hats and matching clothes - that's work. She prefers jeans, sneakers and casual clothes.

What we are seeing is the Real Meghan - and that is good. What she hasn't done yet is sort out her "work clothes" as a royal. And that is ok because she isn't a royal yet. She is finding her way.

I do agree that she needs guidance. But H's team (and H himself) may not consider this important.

Give the girl a break. Time enough when she has been doing the job a while - officially.

This is just a thought

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,