The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Royal Highness

There is not a single item worn since the engagement that isn't a sad disappointment imo, which is a real pity. So SO dull, which is amazing from so vibrant a personality !

Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
I like the idea of the outfit a LOT. Love the coat, love the bag and LOOOOOVE the pants and top she wore.

The pearl detail on the pants *kisses fingers* and the green bag (d@mn it sold out!) was gorgeous with that coat. LOVE it.

My only issue was execution. I loved the pants, but I think they aren't meant for extreme cold - I think the other wide leg pants she wore would have been better. The pants here look almost like crepe rather than a thicker wool. For the look she had a thicker wool with a crease would have been soooo sharp. The pants also needed to be hemmed - they were half an inch to an inch too long. And her coat was a bit oversized and could have been nipped a bit in the waist. But I think Meghan prefers oversized coats. More on the coat later.

But having said that - I still LOVE this look. That coat - whew - gorgeous. The shape of the pants - perfect. The heels... perfect. And loved the top. I wish that bag hadn't sold out - I so would have bought that.

About the coat being oversized... I actually prefer it being an oversized coat. Too much tailoring to make it fit perfectly to her frame would have KILLED the style of the coat and actually shot it back to the 80s in terms of style in a bad way. You cannot take a traditional tartan print like this and tailor it to death without forcing it to revert to the kitschy 80s and grandma twee style back then. Basically, you'd eliminate the freshness of re-inventing the tartan for modern wear and revert it to a PTA mom in the 80s trying to look prim and proper.

NO.

The sleeves are perfectly tailored to Meghan, which proves that being oversized is the actual cut of the coat by Burberry. It's on purpose because they know that cutting it too sharply reverts the style and actively kills it.

So I understand why she left it oversized.

We could debate on whether or not Meghan can wear oversized coats, but as oversized goes, this coat isn't really THAT oversized.

I'm perfectly fine with her in that coat. The only major thing was the hem of the pants and maybe the material.

Again - LOOOOOOVE this outfit.
FashionMaven! I've been waiting for you to come here.

The pants are still available at Nordstrom. Although, I think they are in navy rather than black. But the PEARLS! They are great accents to the pants. Honestly though, I don't think wide legged pants are ever for the cold unless she's sneaking in a pair of thick tights underneath. I actually wear them in warmer weather to keep cool.

As for the coat, it looks fine to me. I'm more bothered by coats like this if it had a slouchy shoulder, and I agree about the too tailored look. I think it's what I was trying to say when I said this coat wouldn't have looked good with a belted waist, but you just explained it so much better than I do as usual. I've always preferred the longer coats anyways. I would like to see them over that pair of jeans she wore to Cardiff. Although, I would love to see this coat with skinny white jeans. I think the white would highlight the color more. I can imagine it not going well if she ever showed up in public in skinny white jeans though.

And I can't see the shoes.

ETA: I just saw a video of them walking with her coat open. My goodness that looked good with the exposed pearl buttons with the wind blowing as she walked!

Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
There is not a single item worn since the engagement that isn't a sad disappointment imo, which is a real pity. So SO dull, which is amazing from so vibrant a personality !
I totally agree. I keep thinking she wants to keep a low profile but each time we see Meghan, I'm hoping for something more JMO.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Not a fan of the bag, as it undersized and does not seem to go with the outfit. I thought the coat fit fine, but the double-breasted look doesn't really seem to suit her. I love the pants, but agreed they are too long.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
I totally agree. I keep thinking she wants to keep a low profile but each time we see Meghan, I'm hoping for something more JMO.
I'm not understanding this. Meghan has always been more monochromatic dressing. She's explicitly stated this. It's also consistent with her private clothing choices in the past. She does do more colors in one piece.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Courtier

I get the monochromatic jacqui24, it's just bland to me. I don't expect flashy just would have liked something different JMO. It's her style and if she's happy, that's what counts.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Fashion Maven that purse sold out in a few minutes...crazy. They make it in a navy that I really love. If I had an extra 600 or 700 sitting around I'd be very tempted!

LaRae
Old 02-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I do as well, just something to elevate it. The pearls were okay ..I'm not sure I liked them on the pants just by themselves...now if she had worn a nice pearl earring...necklace..that would of played to that accent on the pant. I would of really liked that. That would of made it a bit more interesting.

LaRae
Old 02-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Courtier

I keep saying hopefully next time...
Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm 'not holding my breath'..
Old 02-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm hoping as time passes (especially after the marry) that she might start to evolve her style a little..perhaps take a bit more risk or play with different looks. A shame to have access to all those designers and options and not use them!

LaRae
Old 02-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'm hoping as time passes (especially after the marry) that she might start to evolve her style a little..perhaps take a bit more risk or play with different looks. A shame to have access to all those designers and options and not use them!

LaRae
Exactly!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I quite like Meghan's coat, it adds a little something to an otherwise plain outfit (and I like the Scottish touch).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

I’m conflicted about this look.
Waist up I like it:
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-co...018/02/523.jpg

Waist down I hate it:
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-co...018/02/326.jpg
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-co...6-904x1024.jpg

In general, I can’t believe that any decent stylist would recommend four new pairs of black pants for four consecutive appearances. At least if she was repeating there could be the excuse of ‘’being thrifty’’. Fail for Jessica.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Royal Highness

^
That last picture shows quite how inappropriate and downright dangerous that length of trouser is on an icy day..
Old 02-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
FashionMaven! I've been waiting for you to come here.
Awwww..

Quote:
The pants are still available at Nordstrom. Although, I think they are in navy rather than black. But the PEARLS! They are great accents to the pants. Honestly though, I don't think wide legged pants are ever for the cold unless she's sneaking in a pair of thick tights underneath. I actually wear them in warmer weather to keep cool.
You could be right about wide leg pants in really cold weather - but I think if they are in the right fabric and you wear boots with them, they work fine - the boots underneath keep the draft out and you could also wear tights.

I have a pair of wide legged pants and in the winter, that's how I wear them. I need a new pair of tall black boots too - with a 2 inch kitten heel and pointy toes... in black patent... and red! and silver!

*excuse me for a bit, brb*

Seriously though - I need a good sock boot.

Quote:
As for the coat, it looks fine to me. I'm more bothered by coats like this if it had a slouchy shoulder, and I agree about the too tailored look. I think it's what I was trying to say when I said this coat wouldn't have looked good with a belted waist, but you just explained it so much better than I do as usual. I've always preferred the longer coats anyways. I would like to see them over that pair of jeans she wore to Cardiff. Although, I would love to see this coat with skinny white jeans. I think the white would highlight the color more. I can imagine it not going well if she ever showed up in public in skinny white jeans though.
Can you imagine this outfit with winter white tailored pants with a wide Gucci-esque cuff!! *faints*

Quote:
And I can't see the shoes.
From what I can see, they are almond toe with a stiletto heel. I can't figure out the brand. They also look like they might be boots - or booties - because of the material - I think they are sock boots or booties.

Quote:
ETA: I just saw a video of them walking with her coat open. My goodness that looked good with the exposed pearl buttons with the wind blowing as she walked!
Ohhh I need to find that video... I was wondering what it looked like with her coat open!!!

*races out of the thread to find the video*
Old 02-13-2018, 06:07 PM
Majesty

This made me laugh. Who wore it better.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV8g3EMX...pg&name=medium
Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
I’m conflicted about this look.
Waist up I like it:
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-co...018/02/523.jpg

Waist down I hate it:
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-co...018/02/326.jpg
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-co...6-904x1024.jpg

In general, I can’t believe that any decent stylist would recommend four new pairs of black pants for four consecutive appearances. At least if she was repeating there could be the excuse of ‘’being thrifty’’. Fail for Jessica.
I wear a lot of black personally so I don't mind. I am trying to break myself out of that though - but I'm also in a style rut so while I'm tentative about my closet, black colors build confidence.

Maybe Meghan is the same? She's feeling her way around a minefield of public and royal expectation, all while trying to stay true to herself and appear professional and taking everything seriously. She's also doing a lot to boost local business with her clothing choices and I really respect that.

But doing this while keeping your own style can feel a bit difficult. And I don't really feel it's right for us to force our clothing aesthetic onto her. She does color - but again - she's STRATEGIC when she does. Most of her outfits have been in neutrals - she only does strong color when she's making a red carpet statement for the most part. One exception might be that glorious red dress she wore to an event shortly after she started dating Harry.

As for today's outfit, winter white pants (with black large beads instead of pearls) also would have worked - even with a black or navy sweater - but with the weather conditions it would have been a terrible risk too. Especially if it wasn't hemmed properly,

I can think of other ways to add more color - but they might be a bit avant-garde for some folks. I'd do tone on tone underneath in shades of blue or green - much lighter blue or green than in the coat, with a tuxedo stripe (in navy or deep green) down the side of the pants... but finding those kinds of shades is really hard without going completely custom made. Maybe you could find navy pants and then a mid-tone blue turtleneck, but it doesn't read as sleekly as an all navy ensemble or an all black ensemble. Or even an ensemble that's simply all in one color like soft green or blue.

For the coat she picked, I think she chose the right outfit. Hopefully in the future she'll execute it better.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
This made me laugh. Who wore it better.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV8g3EMX...pg&name=medium
That guy's instagram is so hateful to Meghan (long before this post, which is mild compared to what he usually puts up there). I saw it a while ago and was glad it hadn't made it's way here.

And now of course it has. I thought this place was better than that.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
That guy's instagram is so hateful to Meghan (long before this post, which is mild compared to what he usually puts up there). I saw it a while ago and was glad it hadn't made it's way here.

And now of course it has. I thought this place was better than that.
It’s pretty lighthearted. “Who wore it better”. It’s funny. I remember my grandfather used to wear this garish yellow check blazer and my grandmother would tell him it belonged on a racehorse